Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,175 members, 7,849,622 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 06:21 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (102) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (467794 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by henryskywalker2003(m): 10:55am On Jun 10, 2012
Maleeq:
Swift Homeplus unlimited.

So far, I get an error, "Sorry Ubuntu 12.04 has experienced an internal error". Unity crashed because it could not interpret my locale, en_NG. I just included it and specified the en_GB locale settings for en_NG in the python locales file (/usr/lib/python2.7/locale.py), and the error is gone!

Am getting the same error. How do I add it?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 6:21pm On Jun 10, 2012
henryskywalker2003:
Am getting the same error. How do I add it?
Open a terminal and enter: gksu gedit /usr/lib/python2.7/locale.py (Enter your password when prompted)
In the editor that opens up, search for "en_gb"
Copy the entire line, and paste onto a new line.
In the newly pasted line, change the "en_gb" to[b] "en_ng"[/b]
save the file and exit....and you are done!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by henryskywalker2003(m): 3:39pm On Jun 18, 2012
Maleeq:
Open a terminal and enter: gksu gedit /usr/lib/python2.7/locale.py (Enter your password when prompted)
In the editor that opens up, search for "en_gb"
Copy the entire line, and paste onto a new line.
In the newly pasted line, change the "en_gb" to[b] "en_ng"[/b]
save the file and exit....and you are done!

little problem, there are more than one place where that string occured in the said file. I later pick the one that said "en_gb = english british" and replicated it at the bottom changing the gb to ng but I still get the same error.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 9:12am On Jun 19, 2012
henryskywalker2003:

little problem, there are more than one place where that string occured in the said file. I later pick the one that said "en_gb = english british" and replicated it at the bottom changing the gb to ng but I still get the same error.
Oooops! Can you revert what you added? You placed the change in the wrong place.

Take a look at the screenshot below:

Searching from the top, the 1st occurrence of en_gb is what i refer to. In the image above, that's the first record highlighted in yellow. Copy that entire line. Look at the highlighted line thats standing alone about 10lines down, thats the entry I pasted but changed the "en_gb" to "en_ng"

Once you do that, thats all you need to change in the file. Save and exit.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by doziej84: 5:47am On Jun 22, 2012
pls how do i install my ubuntu alongside windows 7 ultimate.

i want to run both operating systems in my laptop.
is there a way i can install ubuntu without formatting windows 7.

thanks for ur replies

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by henryskywalker2003(m): 1:59pm On Jun 22, 2012
@Maleeq, thanks man. That fixed it.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by alienvirus: 8:11pm On Jun 23, 2012
Maleeq. Pls link me up thru ask4taymon@yahoo.com
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 11:35am On Jun 27, 2012
alienvirus: Maleeq. Pls link me up thru ask4taymon@yahoo.com
Roger that!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 1:24pm On Jun 27, 2012
doziej84: pls how do i install my ubuntu alongside windows 7 ultimate.

i want to run both operating systems in my laptop.
is there a way i can install ubuntu without formatting windows 7.

thanks for ur replies
You could check the site out. I just googled it and it has a very descriptive procedure (with screenshots) for the installation process:
Dual Boot Ubuntu And Windows 7

Advice:
1. Make sure you shutdown you windows OS properly (not hibernate or force shutdown) before you commence the process. Windows saves hibernation details on drive. This may corrupt you windows installation if the drive is resized.
2. You can defragment your windows drive before you commence the process. This would make your free space contiguous should you need to resize your drive/partition for Ubuntu.
3. When in doubt, please come back and ask o! Else I shall deny you like Judas if your system crash o! grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:57pm On Jun 27, 2012
Maleeq:

@ Maleeq, quick question.
not ubuntu related tho.

been having issues with my office network due to change of ISP.
turns out the sysad i used to have configured the former ISP, Swift on the server as gateway/Ip etc.
picked the networked printer as the 2nd static IP. both in serial to the gateway.

network was dependent on the swift hub (i think) for dhcp and auto ip address assigning to 10 clients and any wifi device. engineer claims dhcp was done by the server.
I checked, it said dhcp is off

anyway, i have since removed the swift hub and plugged the ethernet in directly into the server. i plugged in the new ISP hardware into the spare port on the cisco switch and picked the gatway IP et al to config the server and pcs around. it worked..

but the catch now is, some clients after a reboot dont get on the network, keep showing IPs from the OLD SWIFT CONNECTION!

what do you think is the problem? i know its obvious but men, blow me, aint no sysad.

thinking of installing DHCP on the server (win2k8 ) then changing the DNS on all clients to the server's static IP instead of the ISP's DNS.
am i on track? or i got it all wrong as usual?

Then again, if i dont pick .....1, ......2 for the gateway/server/printer statics does it matter? i used an arbitrary number in the range for the statics
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 11:25pm On Jun 27, 2012
@4llerbuntu

Just thinking, you say "some clients dont get on the network", meaning some others do? Perhaps those that don't have been manually configured with IP details of the your former ISP?

4llerbuntu:
Then again, if i dont pick .....1, ......2 for the gateway/server/printer statics does it matter? i used an arbitrary number in the range for the statics
No, it doesn't really matter. The I.P ending with x.x.x.1 is the default gateway and most people simply leave it for simplicity. Your gateway can be any IP in the range
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:17am On Jun 29, 2012
Thanks maleeq. actually they did not have static.

i found the problem. the server had DHCP installed roles for the former isp. apparently those clients still got ips assigned by the server, whilst others picked from the new router (wrong config on my part)

what i have done now is changed all the clients to auto IP and DNS

deleted the old DHCP role from the server, and reinstalled DHCP, specifying the server with a static IP as DHCP, and the ISP as gateway.

so far, everything now works.

the new challenge is that i have 3 drives on the server that were shared on the network and sync data backup automagically. i cannot seem to get the clients to see them now, though i reassigned them on the server. haven't had time to look through tho.

i would have changed the server to ubuntu sef, but all the clients are windows, its an office environment so its critical that uptime is maintained. i don't think i can spare the effort, nor battle with samba shares if issues come up. maybe if the server install dies on me sometime sha

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:17am On Jul 02, 2012
Enter the Ubuntu Manual Project…

The Ubuntu Manual project make a very comprehensive beginners guide to Ubuntu for every release.

The most recent guide, titled “Getting Started with Ubuntu 12.04″ was released yesterday and is packed full of everything you need from getting online, to sending emails to navigating around Unity.

If you’re new to Ubuntu or are thinking about introducing someone to Ubuntu then this manual is a must

“Getting Started with Ubuntu 12.04″ is available to download for free from the Ubuntu Manual website. http://www.ubuntu-manual.org/
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ask1509(m): 8:26pm On Jul 10, 2012
what happened to ubuntu nigeria's wordpress, facebook & twitter page? It really needs updating. What do you all say?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:51pm On Jul 11, 2012
the person maintaining it is awol grin grin grin

talk to Chxta on twitter, he should know who runs it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:27am On Jul 13, 2012
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 4:31pm On Jul 13, 2012
me, i've more or less dumped facebook, no longer exciting for me
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:43am On Jul 14, 2012
Anybody tried Mageia linux? checked distrowatch and it's currently ranked just below ubuntu; apparently it's based on mandriva. I'm just curious, does anyone know why it's suddenly so popular?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jul 14, 2012
blackweaver: Anybody tried Mageia linux? checked distrowatch and it's currently ranked just below ubuntu; apparently it's based on mandriva. I'm just curious, does anyone know why it's suddenly so popular?
No. Maybe I would try that out over the next weekend. It is French supported Linus-base Operating system software.I can spot an error in the translation already. The word donators should be donors on their official website.

However, I will provide my feed back here when I am done.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:07pm On Jul 16, 2012
Distrowatch is a measure of interest, not adoption or use.

i hear about a new distro, i look it up on distrowatch. may even download it sef, does not mean i use it. grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by nairalander(m): 5:52pm On Jul 16, 2012
Hey Guys, pls i need a copy of ubuntu 12.04, my internet connection is slow so i cant download. or if anyone knows where i can purchase one. i live in Abuja.
thanks y'all

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 6:27am On Jul 17, 2012
4llerbuntu: Distrowatch is a measure of interest, not adoption or use.

i hear about a new distro, i look it up on distrowatch. may even download it sef, does not mean i use it. grin grin grin

i agree, same here. i'm just surprised it has so many hits, especially since (to my knowledge) there has been only 2 major releases
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ishikaroi(f): 11:37am On Jul 17, 2012
Actually my first installation of ubuntu was not successfull and then i tried for the second time and then it was ok without any hanging problem it got installed. after installing ubuntu my system is ok. now there are no problem with my system. I am having an ubuntu CD.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by sheruppp: 2:05pm On Jul 18, 2012
yes in Ubuntu there is no need to install extra supporting software as in Linux

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:22pm On Jul 19, 2012
sheruppp: yes in Ubuntu there is no need to install extra supporting software as in Linux

No shit!!!

ishika roi: Actually my first installation of ubuntu was not successfull and then i tried for the second time and then it was ok without any hanging problem it got installed. after installing ubuntu my system is ok. now there are no problem with my system. I am having an ubuntu CD.

WOOOOOWWWW!!!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 6:12pm On Jul 21, 2012
sheruppp: yes in Ubuntu there is no need to install extra supporting software as in Linux

err i'm not sure i understand what you mean by this
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 6:18pm On Jul 21, 2012
you know i sort of find it interesting that the concept of the app store that they are making so much noise about in smartphones has been around in linux for years

ishika roi: Actually my first installation of ubuntu was not successfull and then i tried for the second time and then it was ok without any hanging problem it got installed. after installing ubuntu my system is ok. now there are no problem with my system. I am having an ubuntu CD.

i think it's nice that you got to install ubuntu all by yourself, is that your first foray into linux?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:33am On Jul 23, 2012
grin grin grin

bro, you get time o. i doubt if those posters are even nigerians or humans sef. i suspect they are bots grin

anyway, u know what gandhi said: first they ignore you, then they laugh, then they attack you, then you win.

read that unity launcher is now getting ported to other distros.

and there are devs from fedora and other distros breaking down the door to try port software center. go figure.

now those are the two most controversial things ever that canonical did. last i heard, poeple were supposed to be ditching ubuntu by the thousands because "unity was killing them"

mcheew!! smh
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:36am On Jul 23, 2012
‘Take the initiative’

“Four years ago we set a challenge for Ubuntu, and we said ‘Okay we want to get into design, we want to really focus on the user experience, we want to innovate, and we want to see if we can get ahead of Apple, ahead of Microsoft,” Shuttleworth told the OSCON audience prior to the Unity WebApps demo.

“We [thought we] should take the initiative and lead.”

Noble ambitions. To do this Canonical assembled a design team in London to take on, what Shuttleworth refers to as ‘a radical goal’ – that of multi-form factor design.

“We said ‘We have this desktop, and it’s a very popular desktop; lots of people love it. But we believe that the future looks like this diverse collection of form factors. We want to have a user experience that spans a range of form-factors, e.g. a desktop, a tablet, and a phone, and, in fact, we even wanted a TV as well!”

“Screw it”

Although convergence of devices and UIs is no longer something that unique – Google’s Android spans Phones, Netbooks, Tablets, TVs, and headless streaming devices – the challenge presented by this ‘strategy’ wasn’t quite so clear cut at the time.

‘Different form factors [have] different constraints and need different interfaces,’ Shuttleworth explains, ‘But they can be, we believe, part of one family.’

“It was a very controversial at the time.”

(1) (2) (3) ... (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.