Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,166 members, 7,849,602 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 05:31 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (100) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (467789 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 9:52pm On Apr 13, 2012
4llerbuntu: @ maleeq

I think i was referring to that check box where it says connect automatically. it makes the system do what u want

good to know u solved ur ish.

@ all i honestly think that 12.04 will be a solid release and im yet to hear bad things about it anywhere so feel free to upgrade. i will as soon as i have time on my hands
It is. I succeeded in installing Burg Manager on it yesterday on my old Sony VAIO VPCEB3E4E Laptop and it seems to work without any hitch. The only thing is that it displays 'Grub' starting at the top left corner before showing the grub screen theme I used. The only issue I have with 12.04 Beta2 LTS yet is the Docky shabby screen upon log in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:01am On Apr 16, 2012
for painless blackberry management please download linberry

it enables you use the blackberry as a modem, install and remove applications, backup the fone ans restore and also manage your contacts.

works quite well, is quite small.

none of all those chat scripts wahala o, comes with its 3 dependencies as .debs in a zipped archive. install them before installing the linberry.

easy to use also, just follow the instructions written boldly on the application.

link: http:// linberry. webcindario. com/pages/descargar. html remove the spaces
Re: Ubuntu Linux by perybutler(m): 11:25am On Apr 21, 2012
Ubuntu is an operating system which developed by Linux. It is one of the best operating system which full of security. It make secure to data and system from hackers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 3:43pm On Apr 21, 2012
^ You don't say smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 5:09pm On Apr 21, 2012
pc guru: ^ You don't say smiley
grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:09pm On Apr 21, 2012
One thing I get to enjoy most in Ubuntu 12.04 Beta2 LTS is the Compiz, it seems to work with it flawlessly.The issue I had with CCSM in Oneiric Ocelot could never be attributed to the customization of it. I really mean to say it is more stable than any other releases I have worked with.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:12pm On Apr 21, 2012
by Compiz you mean the water and uber effect, i had it installed and it messed my 11.04 though am on 12.04 will compiz run on my Netbook if not lemme just leave it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:20pm On Apr 21, 2012
pc guru: by Compiz you mean the water and uber effect, i had it installed and it messed my 11.04 though am on 12.04 will compiz run on my Netbook if not lemme just leave it
Yes,most of those p.i.m.ping effects you see in some system is done with the use of the Compiz tool. I mean the application used for the customization of your system environment.

That should depend on your system RAM capacity, it could hardly run on low RAM. It works very well with Netbook. Ubuntu 12.04 Beta2 LTS(Precise Pangolin) works with most Netbooks and I doubt if yours would be exempted.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 9:39pm On Apr 21, 2012
thanks bro works and fast 2gb ram
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:55am On Apr 24, 2012
hmm April's almost over; so does anyone know which day Ubuntu 12.04 will be officially released?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 9:25am On Apr 24, 2012
blackweaver: hmm April's almost over; so does anyone know which day Ubuntu 12.04 will be officially released?
The release schedule says 26th April...
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:35am On Apr 24, 2012
ok according to distrowatch seems it should come out sometime this week, i'm guessing 28th

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20120423#news
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:45pm On Apr 24, 2012
26th.

hoping it works fine in virtualbox. our new office sysad has locked down the pc's and i dont want to start a war with him. seems the only way i can avoid this terrible windows plague is virtualization. shudders!!

BTW i tried to run puppy in vbox, seem to have issues with video card. havent managed to install guest additions in it and the monitor resoulution seems to be strange to the virtualbox (1600 by 900)
i find the res strange too but what can i do undecided undecided undecided undecided

joy of using your own hardware. toying with getting a laptop for office but the useless sysad has decreed/deceived the managment to ban personal hardware from the network.
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

so far i have been taking my revenge by little acts of defiance and destruction. he does not know i now know the admin pc's password and the server passwords.

he setup static ips on the LAN and i deliberately changed them lastweek when he went out to lunch. fool was actually troubleshooting people's computer for about 15 mins before it occurred to him that the IP's had been changed and the centralised printer was deliberately offline.
he couldnt accuse anybody cos well, who knows the passwords? plus i generally petend not to know anything myself anyway grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 10:09pm On Apr 24, 2012
4llerbuntu: 26th.

so far i have been taking my revenge by little acts of defiance and destruction. he does not know i now know the admin pc's password and the server passwords.

he setup static ips on the LAN and i deliberately changed them lastweek when he went out to lunch. fool was actually troubleshooting people's computer for about 15 mins before it occurred to him that the IP's had been changed and the centralised printer was deliberately offline.
he couldnt accuse anybody cos well, who knows the passwords? plus i generally petend not to know anything myself anyway grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
hahahahaha....badt guy 4ller

Had similar experience with the IT admin at my place. I simply dual boot into Win7, he does all his magic and as soon he steps back, i reboot into Ubuntu...and everybody is happy!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 3:29pm On Apr 25, 2012
hi guys i can't stress how much i owe you guys, the group has exposed me to the light, why do i say so ? i do PHP Web Applications and on windows it is no where close to the way people manage their sites online till i used Linux, i have a better understanding, just wanted to state that first, also i do C# Development you know Nigerian Market i know there is the Mono Framework for Linux which i don't really want, i have two laptops and was using the netbook for c# development before Windows Crashed my system i run linux full distro, what is your experience with VirtualBox and will the speed be equivalent to running the Installed OS on the Netbook itself,. thanks and also keep this up kiss (#nohomo)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:59pm On Apr 26, 2012
somebody should confirm this for me:

one cannot do a wubi install with a .iso file anymore? it is gonna have to download the OS itself?

hope not o. i had forgotten i had that option for my work pc, but checking the ubuntu site now i see the instructions for wubi only states its going to download the os

anyway, kudos for a new release though the servers seem to have crashed immediately. which makes me wonder, its always said linux has a minute user base bla bla bla, so who are these people crashing ubuntu servers on release dates?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 2:35pm On Apr 26, 2012
4llerbuntu: somebody should confirm this for me:

one cannot do a wubi install with a .iso file anymore? it is gonna have to download the OS itself?

hope not o. i had forgotten i had that option for my work pc, but checking the ubuntu site now i see the instructions for wubi only states its going to download the os

anyway, kudos for a new release though the servers seem to have crashed immediately. which makes me wonder, its always said linux has a minute user base bla bla bla, so who are these people crashing ubuntu servers on release dates?
The servers aren't crashed...I think they normally pull it down to update the site. I notice it just minutes before any new release is announced.

The site is up now...and I am already downloading it! Should have it running within the hour!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 4:53pm On Apr 26, 2012
I see people are already busy, maybe i'll download the release this weekend if phcn will allow me
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:51pm On Apr 26, 2012
blackweaver: I see people are already busy, maybe i'll download the release this weekend if phcn will allow me
LASTMAn grin grin grin grin grin

ps. how am i going to install this thing on my work pc? i dont want to partition the drive, plus the sysad palava sef, i dont know sef...
i doubt if virtualbox will be satisfactory. the Pc has integrated Video only embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 9:04pm On Apr 26, 2012
Ok, I downloaded it and its so frustrating that I don't have a blank CD to burn the *.iso on! (plus I am tooooooo lazy to step out). And then I did something I've not done before: I tried the "Upgrade" option in the update manager....and after about 3hours...here I am posting from 12.04!

Afraid catch me during the upgrade...cos it just literally froze and didn't move for some minutes! So far, everything looks ok. Would be back with updates, if any!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 9:08pm On Apr 26, 2012
i think ave been on 12.04 LTS before not sure if am on a beta or full release
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 12:31am On Apr 27, 2012
pc guru: i think ave been on 12.04 LTS before not sure if am on a beta or full release
Probably, you're on alpha. The full distribution is yet to be released.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 5:36am On Apr 27, 2012
I received an upgrade this evening for my 12.04 Beta2 LTS. The upgrade helped with the resolution. It took me about 10 minutes to download the packages and over 15 minutes to do the installation and clean up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:31am On Apr 27, 2012
pc guru: i think ave been on 12.04 LTS before not sure if am on a beta or full release

if you are fully updated , you are on the full release.

peeps on the beta were updated even before the .iso were spun and uploaded.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:29am On Apr 27, 2012
Maleeq: Ok, I downloaded it and its so frustrating that I don't have a blank CD to burn the *.iso on! (plus I am tooooooo lazy to step out). And then I did something I've not done before: I tried the "Upgrade" option in the update manager....and after about 3hours...here I am posting from 12.04!

Afraid catch me during the upgrade...cos it just literally froze and didn't move for some minutes! So far, everything looks ok. Would be back with updates, if any!

bros u get liver o, upgrade! (not that it's really that bad sha but you know things happen sometimes) happy for you all the same. which internet plan are you using by the way? i'm really wishing i was on swift unlimited at the moment
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:32am On Apr 27, 2012
4llerbuntu:
LASTMAn grin grin grin grin grin

ps. how am i going to install this thing on my work pc? i dont want to partition the drive, plus the sysad palava sef, i dont know sef...
i doubt if virtualbox will be satisfactory. the Pc has integrated Video only embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

you're really convinced wubi won't work? men that would be hard! might try it out myself but by then i'm sure you guys would hav sorted things out
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 10:06am On Apr 27, 2012
blackweaver:

bros u get liver o, upgrade! (not that it's really that bad sha but you know things happen sometimes) happy for you all the same. which internet plan are you using by the way? i'm really wishing i was on swift unlimited at the moment
Swift Homeplus unlimited.

So far, I get an error, "Sorry Ubuntu 12.04 has experienced an internal error". Unity crashed because it could not interpret my locale, en_NG. I just included it and specified the en_GB locale settings for en_NG in the python locales file (/usr/lib/python2.7/locale.py), and the error is gone!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:18am On Apr 27, 2012
found a solution:

For 12.04 they have simply hobbled wubi.exe to not offer the option to install, which you can bypass with a command-line option e.g. if your CD drive is D: you can go to a command line and run:

D:\wubi.exe --force-wubi

Note: Running wubi.exe standalone will download a preinstalled tar.xz image. You can still place the Desktop CD ISO in the same directory as wubi.exe and install it like that without downloading the ~500MB tar.xz image.

wubi is in the .iso apparently (havent checked) but the gist is even if it is not there, grab the iso, put it in the wubi install folder (if u installed it from their site seperatel, then start wubi, it wont download but will use the .iso ........hopefully grin grin

its running horribly in Vbox, slow. some video plugin keeps crashing.... will try wubi later, busy for now
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:16pm On Apr 27, 2012
Maleeq:
Swift Homeplus unlimited.

So far, I get an error, "Sorry Ubuntu 12.04 has experienced an internal error". Unity crashed because it could not interpret my locale, en_NG. I just included it and specified the en_GB locale settings for en_NG in the python locales file (/usr/lib/python2.7/locale.py), and the error is gone!

Homeplus unlimited eh? so i guess that means you're using the multi user communication hub - not the usb

That's the annoying thing about python -and java, they don't recognise nigerian locale, you'd might even still have gotten that error even if u'd done a new install and used en_NG
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:23pm On Apr 27, 2012
i'm using the usb and getting it to work on linux is inconvenient cos there are no known drivers, i had to install windows in a vm and share the internet connection

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.