Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (110) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464677 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 5:59pm On Mar 13, 2013
Which G+ community will that be? i'm on Ubuntu and Linux, haven't seen any flame wars yet, just comments by Linus Torvalds, complaining about some thing or the the other
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 9:06pm On Mar 13, 2013
@4llerbuntu abeg post the link to that G+ thread here. I'm very eager to read it.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:59am On Mar 14, 2013
difficult to get g+ links on mobile.

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z12dwtaqqn2fuppdm22dhtshetmhit35x04?cbp=1doia7rrnto6q&partnerid=operamini1104&sview=2&spath=/app/basic/stream&sparm=partnerid%3Doperamini1104%26gpsrc%3Dgplp0

try to add mark shuttleworth, jono bacon, christopher halse rogers and ubuntu to your circles.

I just re-shared the most recent one on my stream anyway.

+fola dawodu
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DevotedOne(m): 11:33pm On Mar 15, 2013
Not trying to interrupt anything here but I would like to know if anyone has any information about this OS: For a fully free desktop OS, try Trisquel GNU/Linux 6.0 Has anyone tried this OS? Any comments regarding it? Thanks.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 7:52pm On Mar 16, 2013
@DevotedOne I haven't tried Trisquel GNU/Linux before but from what I read from the link you attached, it is one of those purist OSes, hence the "GNU/Linux" designation, n not just "Linux". What this means is that it would be devoid of any proprietary software, even stuff like device drivers that the computer requires to run. Most other linux distributions don't ship with proprietary software too, but they provide an easy way to download them yourself. However, with Trisquel, you will not only not find those proprietary software/drivers in the default install, but there wouldn't be an easy way to install them too. Infact, depending on if they are using Ubuntu's repos or not, they might not even be available with apt-get, requiring you to hunt down .debs or compile them yourself.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DevotedOne(m): 8:22pm On Mar 16, 2013
muyiscoi: @DevotedOne I haven't tried Trisquel GNU/Linux before but from what I read from the link you attached, it is one of those purist OSes, hence the "GNU/Linux" designation, n not just "Linux". What this means is that it would be devoid of any proprietary software, even stuff like device drivers that the computer requires to run. Most other linux distributions don't ship with proprietary software too, but they provide an easy way to download them yourself. However, with Trisquel, you will not only not find those proprietary software/drivers in the default install, but there wouldn't be an easy way to install them too. Infact, depending on if they are using Ubuntu's repos or not, they might not even be available with apt-get, requiring you to hunt down .debs or compile them yourself.

Thanks muyiscoi, I appreciate your response. I checked their forum too, and found that some problems have cropped up already. Maybe they need more time to develop. I won't be trying Trisquel just now. I'll let them work the bugs out frist. Again, much thanks. DevotedOne

http://trisquel.info/en/forum/users
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:08am On Mar 20, 2013
greatest beta ever . 13.04

i dunno what possessed me into upgrading my main work box to 13.04 beta, but it has been a great decision.

has to be the best ubuntu install i ever had

how to?

sudo sed -i 's/quantal/raring/' /etc/apt/sources.list

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 11:14am On Mar 20, 2013
I've heard from a lot of people that 13.04 daily builds don't feel like dev software. Because of all the QA they have been doing, d software is already quite solid, even though its still in development. That's probably what has prompted the discussion on rolling release of late. I haven't tried out 13.04 myself but I'm tempted more and more everyday.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 7:24pm On Mar 20, 2013
mehn as much i would love to update, my linux is my os for school can't attempt it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:32pm On Mar 20, 2013
by now u shld av adopted d practice of having separate partitions for the root n home folder...

makes life easier for man
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 11:38pm On Mar 20, 2013
always done at installation.... smiley 
Re: Ubuntu Linux by tboy1(m): 11:51am On Mar 21, 2013
Anyone running XBMC on Ubuntu?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 5:09am On Mar 22, 2013
muyiscoi: I've heard from a lot of people that 13.04 daily builds don't feel like dev software. Because of all the QA they have been doing, d software is already quite solid, even though its still in development. That's probably what has prompted the discussion on rolling release of late. I haven't tried out 13.04 myself but I'm tempted more and more everyday.
It is actually very stable, although, being on Beta. I just Built Unity from source available on this link HERE.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chxta(m): 6:34pm On Mar 24, 2013
Has any of you tried Ubuntu for tablets?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 6:42pm On Mar 24, 2013
Haven't tried it personally but I've watched several youtube vidoes where it was being tested. It looks promising n d UI is definitely unique n aesthetically pleasing. Maybe I'll buy a compatible device once d final version is released next year
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:58am On Mar 25, 2013
The open source community keeps **saying** canonical are acting in their best interests alone and not that of the larger community.

I’m thinking: well Google does that to astounding success
Open source has never ever really been all that after all these years of noise making.
Every remotely successful Linux project had to do that at some point. and their are precious few of those

The year of Linux has been a recurring bad joke.

How can any project go mainstream when the amount of bitching and bad blood in the community is appalling?

How is canonical meant to progress when for instance they propose Unity Desktop and the community wails and moans and "demands" that the old Gnome 2.0 should continue being the de-facto standard? AT the time they started, they built it on the same Gnome freedesktop specs, it performed poorly. Commits upstream to solve the issues were rejected by Gnome Devs apparently because they were "too ubuntu-specific"

How can canonical achieve its dreams when its commits on projects to the "upstream" are routinely rejected simply because the "geeks that be" don’t like it or think it does not follow their vision?

if Canonical had followed the "community vision", we would still be like Xubuntu.

There is a small tiny crack in the wall for new entrants in the mainstream now. Which other Linux project is looking to get in? Convergence, mainstream users, phones, tablets, Tv etc etc. which other Linux project looks like its having any vision for it?

Kubuntu announced their plasma active for mobile about 2 years ago or more, i still haven’t seen it ever. I have flashed an alpha build of Ubuntu touch on my device already.

On this note i say, F**k the community. +Ubuntu u folks need to deliver and forget these jokers
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 7:02pm On Mar 25, 2013
Opensource is all about developers creating apps, or adding new features to existing apps, in order to scratch a personal itch. This has been the case since time immemorial. If other people find that developer's app useful, they use it, and if they need a feature to scratch their own itch, they request it of the developer or build it themselves n submit the code upstream. If the developer doesn't feel that the new feature is in line with his vision for the app, or he just doesn't like the code, he rejects it. At that point, the user/developer of the new feature can decide to only implement it on his instance of the app, n patch it whenever a new version comes out, or fork the existing app, in order to make his feature available to others. The only difference now is that, instead of individuals, this behaviour is being exhibited by companies, and people are crying fowl as a result. Its the same methodology we have been using in opensource, just on a larger scale.
Ubuntu DOESN'T have to use Wayland, GTK+ or any other defacto Linux technology. It only has to use what scratches its itch. If nothing existing does so, it has every right to create its own, and so long as it is opensource, any other distro which feels it scratches their itch too is welcome to contribute back, and/or even fork it. life goes on

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 11:09pm On Mar 26, 2013
pls who's been able to make a WIMAX MODEM (e.g Swift 4G modem) work on linux?

Oga 4ller . . i dey wait oh .. .
Cheers
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:39pm On Mar 26, 2013
lynxnoon: pls who's been able to make a WIMAX MODEM (e.g Swift 4G modem) work on linux?

Oga 4ller . . i dey wait oh .. .
Cheers

bros lynx,i wish i had good news for you, i really do, but from my research, it is not possible -simply because the stupid chinko company refused to release the source code and i don't think they support it any longer. There was a version of ubuntu that there were modules that supported but it was a 2.6 kernel, i think it was ubuntu 9.04 or something.
Your best bet is to run windows as a vm client inside your linux environment and share the internet connection with your host. At least that's what i do.
I periodically still check online to see if a better solution has been found but so far nothing.If you do find one, pl share with the house
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:34am On Mar 27, 2013
see this man grin grin grin

u go wait tire o.

sebi na wimax? ehn use wifi naw cheesy cheesy cheesy

weaver has tolded you the answer o. cool cool

buy a wifi dongle for your device if it does not have wifi
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 11:18pm On Mar 27, 2013
buy one of those WiFi access points that support USB dongles and use that to share the network
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:42pm On Mar 28, 2013
blackweaver:

bros lynx,i wish i had good news for you, i really do, but from my research, it is not possible -simply because the stupid chinko company refused to release the source code and i don't think they support it any longer. There was a version of ubuntu that there were modules that supported but it was a 2.6 kernel, i think it was ubuntu 9.04 or something.
Your best bet is to run windows as a vm client inside your linux environment and share the internet connection with your host. At least that's what i do.
I periodically still check online to see if a better solution has been found but so far nothing.If you do find one, pl share with the house

4llerbuntu: see this man grin grin grin

u go wait tire o.

sebi na wimax? ehn use wifi naw cheesy cheesy cheesy

weaver has tolded you the answer o. cool cool

buy a wifi dongle for your device if it does not have wifi

guys trust me na . . . . i did even googling n came up with notin concrete same story as blackweaver said
tho i found an app(Beeceem Control Panel) dat one can use to manipulate the configurations on d wimax modem and den run a special network manager on ubuntu( u cud even write ur own script sef)
my pc got messed up n started showing d "blue screen" error . . .had to uninstall by deleting the folder first cos i cudnt uninstall it tru safe mode . . lol

As per wifi router . .men . . no wimax-compartible router in naija market for now (well i knw not within Lagos sha grin) . . .i really goofed by buying a usb wifi router thinking it would work but no show wink grin
well no harm done ... i now use it as my wifi for gsm ntwks at home smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jacob05(m): 9:24pm On Mar 30, 2013
4llerbuntu: greatest beta ever . 13.04

i dunno what possessed me into upgrading my main work box to 13.04 beta, but it has been a great decision.

has to be the best ubuntu install i ever had

how to?

Upgrading now !!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jacob05(m): 6:46am On Mar 31, 2013
Wow, ubuntu 13.04 is the best... very fast.... Unity now faster.. great !!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by BossTtdiamonds(m): 10:55am On Mar 31, 2013
My Mtn modem even works out of the box without installing any driver software.... Ubuntu so totally rocks.. new to it though..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by tirtimy: 3:31pm On Mar 31, 2013
Please assist. I need help on installing .deb files especially skype. Please help
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 5:49pm On Mar 31, 2013
tirtimy: Please assist. I need help on installing .deb files especially skype. Please help
Just double click on it and install it from the Ubuntu Software Center. If you receive any error message then do this:

1. Press CTRL+ALT+T keys to open terminal.

2. cd Downloads. To change directory to where the file is download(it could be any other path but Downloads is usually to right place you have a downloaded file).

3. sudo dpkg -i Package_name.deb (the place with Package_name should be replace with the name of the downloaded file and add.deb).

4. Wait for the installation to finish. There you have your Skype.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by tirtimy: 7:59pm On Mar 31, 2013
all4naija: Just double click on it and install it from the Ubuntu Software Center. If you receive any error message then do this:

1. Press CTRL+ALT+T keys to open terminal.

2. cd Downloads. To change directory to where the file is download(it could be any other path but Downloads is usually to right place you have a downloaded file).

3. sudo dpkg -i Package_name.deb (the place with Package_name should be replace with the name of the downloaded file and add.deb).

4. Wait for the installation to finish. There you have your Skype.
Thanks.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 9:08pm On Mar 31, 2013
or better still, just double click on it, wait for the software centre to load and click "install"... assuming you're on Ubuntu that is

(1) (2) (3) ... (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.