Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,804 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (111) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464417 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by tirtimy: 11:43am On Apr 01, 2013
muyiscoi: or better still, just double click on it, wait for the software centre to load and click "install"... assuming you're on Ubuntu that is

Thanks.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jacob05(m): 2:36am On Apr 03, 2013
My Ubuntu 13.04

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:00am On Apr 03, 2013
it messed up my whole distro i think, i will just wait for the Stable release.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by tirtimy: 4:06pm On Apr 03, 2013
Thanks I have installed Sykpe.
Please assist, I want a program to start up automatically after booting my System, please help
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 5:33pm On Apr 05, 2013
tirtimy: Thanks I have installed Sykpe.
Please assist, I want a program to start up automatically after booting my System, please help
To do that:

1. Press the Windows Key to open Len.

2. Type Start Applications into the search bar.

3. Click 'Add' to add the name of the program in the 'Name' section.Click 'Browse' and locate where the command is lo and add comment of your choice. Next click 'Add' tab to close it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by tirtimy: 12:00pm On Apr 06, 2013
all4naija: To do that:

1. Press the Windows Key to open Len.

2. Type Start Applications into the search bar.

3. Click 'Add' to add the name of the program in the 'Name' section.Click 'Browse' and locate where the command is lo and add comment of your choice. Next click 'Add' tab to close it.
Please it's qbtorrent and I don't know where I can I see the application when I press add.
Thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by digitalEve: 12:22pm On Apr 06, 2013
Hi y'll I'm extremely happy to stumble upon thus thread. I bought an ubuntu cd 2 yrs ago and installed on my laptop so it runs two OS and I get to choose at the start-up whichever I want.The only problem I have with d ubuntu is that I cannot run any installation file on it (exe),it also cannot play my CDs.It keeps giving me an archive error sort of.Please help me anyone I wud appreciate,thnk u.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by tirtimy: 4:03pm On Apr 07, 2013
tirtimy:
Please it's qbtorrent and I don't know where I can I see the application when I press add.
Thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 2:36am On Apr 08, 2013
tirtimy:
Thanks
To do that :

1. Press CRTL+ALT+T to open terminal.

2. Type which qbittorrent and press ENTER

3. copy and past the file displayed on the terminal into the 'Browse' at the 'command' of the Startup Applications.

4. Click 'Add'.

Note: If you want to see where all the files associated with your qbittorent are located just type dpkg - L qbittorent

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 11:07pm On Apr 08, 2013
@digitalEve Ubuntu is a completely different OS from windows, and so, your .exe applications would not work. You have to install applications made and packaged to run on ubuntu. Depending on the version you are running, you should have the "Ubuntu Software Centre". Browse there for applications to install.

In other news, just upgraded to 13.04. This is the first time I am upgrading. Normally, I just download the iso and do a fresh install, since I have a separate /home partition (always a good idea). Anyway, the upgrade went fairly smoothly. There were a few errors that made me question if my system would boot after the upgrade but it did n I haven't had an issue since.
I have noticed a few performance increases in Unity and overall, its looking good. In fact, its pretty stable for a beta. One thing i don't like though, is Files (nee Nautilus). It just looks alien to the rest of the desktop and is sticking out like a sore thumb. Gonna keep exploring to see if there r some goodies I might have missed
Re: Ubuntu Linux by digitalEve: 4:33pm On Apr 09, 2013
Thank you@ muyiscoi i'l do the system upgrade as u suggested
Re: Ubuntu Linux by swintiney: 10:51am On Apr 12, 2013
digitalEve: Hi y'll I'm extremely happy to stumble upon thus thread. I bought an ubuntu cd 2 yrs ago and installed on my laptop so it runs two OS and I get to choose at the start-up whichever I want.The only problem I have with d ubuntu is that I cannot run any installation file on it (exe),it also cannot play my CDs.It keeps giving me an archive error sort of.Please help me anyone I wud appreciate,thnk u.

There is an application in Ubuntu called "WINEHQ" (WINDows EMulator). This program will enable you run a lot of windows programs in linux distros especially the Ubuntu. You can download and install with "apt-get install wine".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:49am On Apr 12, 2013
swintiney:

There is an application in Ubuntu called "WINEHQ" (WINDows EMulator). This program will enable you run a lot of windows programs in linux distros especially the Ubuntu. You can download and install with "apt-get install wine".

MISINFORMATION!.

1. WINE is actually called "Wine Is Not An Emulator" (W.I.N.E.)

it is NOT a windows emulator. It does not emulate windows. it does not have runtime libraries and a separate kernel/userspace by default

2. It will NOT enable you to run a "LOT" of windows programs in linux.

it enables you run a few/some with varying degrees of success. you also have to deal with UI and performance issues, and most of the time need to hack some stuff to get decent results

3. merely running apt-get will ensure you get outdated wine packages, and lord knows how many issues with the wine install.
there is a Wine PPA maintained by the Wine Devs that contain up to date packages and hacks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:16pm On Apr 12, 2013
If the problem/ desire is to run windows apps on linux.

firstly know for a fact that you are not likely to get it running/looking properly like it does on windows.

that said, the options available are.

1. Virtualization.

install a Virtual Machine like VirtualBox. its free. it works fine.

visit www.virtualbox.org and follow the instructions to install on a linux pc

once installed, also install the Guest Addons and create a VM.

with this you can get a CD or .iso file of a windowOS, preferably Windows XP or Windows 7 (for performance reasons)

with this installed in a VM, you can go ahead to literally use windows-in-a-linux PC. thus guaranteeing that the apps 'work' well.

2. using tools like W.I.N.E.

first step to using this is to visit www.winehq.org

get the instructions to add the PPA for your linux distro eg ubuntu. add it too your system and then update.

now to make the use of WINE easy for you, there are projects designed to automate the setup of WINE for various apps, so u dont have to worry about hacking your way.

one is PLAYONLINUX. visit www.playonlinux.com

download the latest app and install.

run it and allow it to get all its updates.

this tool has a listing of various windows applications and the WINE configurations needed.

all you need to do is supply the .exe or cd of the app you want to install and use the playonlinux tool to configure it.

the app will download the necessary versions and configurations needed for that particular app to work, then install the .exe with the proper settings.

That way it helps to take away the pain of configuring your application.

where the particular app is not listed there, you may still attempt to install manually via a rightclick and open with WINE but note that some apps may not work as expected. or at all

there are also other tools, feel free to explore with google.

But frankly i'd be honest with you, except its a matter of life and death, any app that is not native to linux is not worth the hassle to get to work. and except you have some pretty special needs, most popular apps have their linux equivalents. its better to spend time to learn them than all this WINE hassle
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Leopantro: 1:30pm On Apr 12, 2013
love the name WINE;
Wine Is Not an Emulator.

that's where the love ends
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 6:51pm On Apr 12, 2013
I gave up on wine years ago. It is just too unpredictable. Some stuff work perfectly, others not at all, while some load but can do next to nothing. Also, at the present, virtually all the apps I use on a daily basis have linux versions or capable equivalent. I keep a windows 7 VM around for that odd moment when I need to use windows for whatever reason. My laptop is fast enough that I don't notice any performance bump while virtualizing, so that's an ideal solution for me
Re: Ubuntu Linux by paulabdeel(m): 5:02pm On Apr 15, 2013
please pardon me if am doing this incorrectly, first time. I have a general problem with my laptop. I cannot instal Ubuntu or any of its derivatives. It is an HP Pavilion dm4 64 Bit. Small distros instal. Recently I was able to instal the Super X OS, by chance. Usually soon after I I click on the boot up installation screen, it goes blank and dark . There was power outage and I had to use d flashlight of my phone. The installation splash screen was showing faintly. Still using the flashlight I tried to instal it, no way. I decided to click on TRY . It came up immediately. I didn't have this problem with the earlier Compaq laptop. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? I would love to dual-boot the system. Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:14pm On Apr 16, 2013
Not sure if trolling. undecided undecided

WHICH VERSION OF UBUNTU ARE YOU TRYING TO INSTALL?

HOW ARE YOU ATTEMPTING THE INSTALL? FROM A CD/DVD OR FROM A THUMB DRIVE?

paulabdeel: please pardon me if am doing this incorrectly, first time. I have a general problem with my laptop. I cannot instal Ubuntu or any of its derivatives. It is an HP Pavilion dm4 64 Bit. Small distros instal.

What do u mean by small distro?

does windows work correctly on this laptop?
which other OS(es) work on this?

paulabdeel:
Recently I was able to instal the Super X OS, by chance. Usually soon after I I click on the boot up installation screen, it goes blank and dark . There was power outage and I had to use d flashlight of my phone. The installation splash screen was showing faintly. Still using the flashlight I tried to instal it, no way. I decided to click on TRY . It came up immediately. I didn't have this problem with the earlier Compaq laptop. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? I would love to dual-boot the system. Thanks.

ordinarily i would say the laptop has a hardware defect, notably the flex connecting the screen to the motherboard. this issue is common with some HP models.

BUT if you say other OS work fine on it, then that’s even more weird.

you would have to list those OS. cant fathom why full fledged linux OS don't have driver to display the VGA whilst "small" OS does.

The power outage/flashlight part ...... cheesy cheesy lipsrsealed undecided undecided what is that? what does power outage have to do with this?

when you click on try, u said it comes up. so why not try to install when the desktop boots up fully, u do know that the option to install is right there on desktop when u boot a live session?

like i said earlier: Not sure if trolling. undecided undecided
Re: Ubuntu Linux by paulabdeel(m): 1:50am On Apr 19, 2013
Small distros of less than 250 MB install easily. Even SuperX which is 1.1 GB ran smoothly in a dual boot with Windows 7 if I use a flashlight to click on TRY instead of Instal. As soon as I click try the installation image comes up sharp and bright. But if I click on install it will remain dim. I have just installed Windows 8 and it is Ok. Pertinent to mention that the images run smoothly in Virtualbox. I have tried Ubuntu 12.04,12.10, and Ubuntu Secure Remix.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by paulabdeel(m): 1:56am On Apr 19, 2013
The point about the power outage is that in the darkness that ensued, I was able to see the faint installation image which in full light would look dark.It is weird.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:35pm On Apr 19, 2013
did you try running the installation on the desktop?

boot the .iso and allow it to load the desktop, then try to install from the desktop?

maybe someone else understands what you are saying, cause i dont.
sorry
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:09pm On Apr 25, 2013
13.04 incoming wink wink

already up to date anyway grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 2:31pm On Apr 25, 2013
4llerbuntu: 13.04 incoming wink wink

already up to date anyway grin grin
95% downloaded....I should be up and running shortly. I just hope the WPA2/PSK issues that has kept me on 11.10 is fixed now!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:58pm On Apr 25, 2013
^^^ u and this WPA whatever.

have u thought of changing your wifi card or getting a usb wifi card? you are the only person i hear this issue from, must be rare

anyways http://www.noobslab.com/2012/11/install-mac-os-x-theme-on-ubuntu-1210.html grin grin

just in case anyone wants a new look
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:30pm On Apr 25, 2013
TIP OF LIFE!!!!

ASWEARIGAD!!!!

i was a lil idle, so i was messing with my pc.

then it occurred to me to install a "light" desktop Env.

so i installed fluxbox. i think it was about 1 MB grin grin

i logged out of unity and logged into fluxbox.

GADDAMNIT!!!!! i forgot what life used to be without bling, THIS THING HAS A FOOTPRINT OF LIKE 3MB RAM. [size=18pt]THE PC IS CRAZILY FAST!!. BROWSERS OPEN WEBPAGES LIKE FLASH!![/size]

IF U NEED ALL OF YOUR PROCESSOR AND RAM AND GRAPHICS CARD FOR ANY TASK, PLS INSTALL IT AND BOOT INTO IT FOR THAT.

i think im going to install steam now on my 2Gb RAM laptop now

man FOOK WINDOWS, THIS IS THE SHIT!!! grin grin grin

PS: i always knew this, i use puppy linux....... im just idle today cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 12:21am On Apr 26, 2013
4llerbuntu: TIP OF LIFE!!!!

ASWEARIGAD!!!!

i was a lil idle, so i was messing with my pc.

then it occurred to me to install a "light" desktop Env.

so i installed fluxbox. i think it was about 1 MB grin grin

i logged out of unity and logged into fluxbox.

GADDAMNIT!!!!! i forgot what life used to be without bling, THIS THING HAS A FOOTPRINT OF LIKE 3MB RAM. [size=18pt]THE PC IS CRAZILY FAST!!. BROWSERS OPEN WEBPAGES LIKE FLASH!![/size]

IF U NEED ALL OF YOUR PROCESSOR AND RAM AND GRAPHICS CARD FOR ANY TASK, PLS INSTALL IT AND BOOT INTO IT FOR THAT.

i think im going to install steam now on my 2Gb RAM laptop now

man FOOK WINDOWS, THIS IS THE SHIT!!! grin grin grin

PS: i always knew this, i use puppy linux....... im just idle today cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

hmmmm, interesting.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 7:19pm On Apr 26, 2013
4llerbuntu: ^^^ u and this WPA whatever.

have u thought of changing your wifi card or getting a usb wifi card? you are the only person i hear this issue from, must be rare
Its been fixed!!! So far so good, 13.04 ain't giving me any issues...
Re: Ubuntu Linux by paulabdeel(m): 9:39am On Apr 29, 2013
Thanks everyone, I believe I have solved the problem I reported days back. After my last post, I downloaded Ubuntu Ultimate Edition 3.5 about 3.4GB. It was the same problem. I downloaded Ubuntu 13.04, the same thing. So I installed Alcohol 120% and installed Virtual drives. I now mounted Ubuntu on a drive and enabled remounting on booting. I opened the drive and and ran WUBI. I rebooted the system. Voila Raring Ringtail. The most beautiful Ubuntu so far. I am so elated. I will try out other distros too.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 3:26am On Apr 30, 2013
still stuck with this old monstrosity unfortunately embarassed

Next order of business; getting a pc with linux preinstalled. Microsoft is evil

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.