Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (114) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464381 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 7:52am On May 18, 2013
^^^^ why does this fellow have to spam everywhere undecided undecided
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:25am On May 18, 2013
Chxta: For those looking for a lightweight DE with an Ubuntu base, look no further than Crunchbang Linux. It does what Lubuntu wants to do slightly better.

i thought crunchbang was less stable or at least more subject to unexpected incidences than other ubuntu derivatives
Re: Ubuntu Linux by malign(m): 7:05pm On May 18, 2013
Chxta: Register at www.shipit.ubuntu.com, they would send you a free CD

Used to do this in 2006, shipped a pack of five CD's right to my doorstep in Abuja twice a month, which I shared amongst friends, but the general interest in Linux at the time was minimal at best. Glad to see it's gained momentum over the years.

I was in talks with some developers circa 2010, about having aggregated mirrors hosted in Nigeria, so that it may help with package control, (apt/aptitude, et al), seeing as how horrible an experience it was to sync gentoo portage, and so on back then. It never kicked off, however, in part due to the small fact that Nigeria didn't have a large enough user-base.

Might be time to re-evaluate that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 4:15pm On May 19, 2013
malign:

Used to do this in 2006, shipped a pack of five CD's right to my doorstep in Abuja twice a month, which I shared amongst friends, but the general interest in Linux at the time was minimal at best. Glad to see it's gained momentum over the years.

I was in talks with some developers circa 2010, about having aggregated mirrors hosted in Nigeria, so that it may help with package control, (apt/aptitude, et al), seeing as how horrible an experience it was to sync gentoo portage, and so on back then. It never kicked off, however, in part due to the small fact that Nigeria didn't have a large enough user-base.

Might be time to re-evaluate that.

Gentoo? haba! even i have never used gentoo,and i believe i've used more than a couple of distros and i've even tried more than one bsd. I don't know how many hardcore linux users we have in naija, but i'm not sure there'll be too many using gentoo
Re: Ubuntu Linux by malign(m): 4:22pm On May 19, 2013
blackweaver:

Gentoo? haba! even i have never used gentoo,and i believe i've used more than a couple of distros and i've even tried more than one bsd. I don't know how many hardcore linux users we have in naija, but i'm not sure there'll be too many using gentoo

Around when Windows 7 was released. And people were looking for alternatives, I found it pleasurable (smh) to create and distribute Gentoo DVD's, equipped with Gnome and what not, like a LiveDVD, just that there wasn't one at the time. I don't know anyone that runs Gentoo anymore, in or out of Nigeria. I still have a virtual machine, but I really rarely use it.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by tirtimy: 9:06pm On May 21, 2013
Please help, I installed Adobe flash player but after updating my System, Youtube videos were not playing and flash player is no longer working on mozilla firefox. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:50am On May 22, 2013
tirtimy: Please help, I installed Adobe flash player but after updating my System, Youtube videos were not playing and flash player is no longer working on mozilla firefox. Thanks in anticipation.

According to a blog post by Adobe, after the 11.2 release, Flash Player for Linux will only be available through a new "Pepper" API as a part of Google Chrome, and won't be available as a separate download anymore. However, Adobe will continue to offer security updates for Flash Player 11.2 for Linux for five years.

Google will provide the "Pepper" Flash Player implementation for all supported Chrome platforms, including Linux (x86/64).

As for Firefox, its Wiki states that "Mozilla is not interested in or working on Pepper at this time". But even if Mozilla changes its mind, the post on Adobe's website says that Flash will be bundled with Google Chrome only, so unless Mozilla and Adobe become partners, they probably can't use it.

USE GOOGLE CHROME BUILT-IN FLASH IN FIREFOX

1. Download and install Google Chrome

2. Open a terminal and copy / paste the following commands:

mkdir -p ~/.mozilla/plugins
ln -s /opt/google/chrome/libgcflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/

3. Restart Firefox.

The exact same instructions above also work for Chromium (yes, using the ~/.mozilla/plugins/ folder even though it's for Chromium).
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 12:31am On May 23, 2013
firefox 11.2 is still supported on ubuntu and works flawlessly on firefox for me. No new Flash development on Linux except for the Pepper stuff from Chrome but that's okay 'cos Flash is on the way out anyway. The future belongs to HTML5
Re: Ubuntu Linux by tirtimy: 12:46pm On May 23, 2013
muyiscoi: firefox 11.2 is still supported on ubuntu and works flawlessly on firefox for me. No new Flash development on Linux except for the Pepper stuff from Chrome but that's okay 'cos Flash is on the way out anyway. The future belongs to HTML5
Thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by tirtimy: 12:46pm On May 23, 2013
4llerbuntu:

USE GOOGLE CHROME BUILT-IN FLASH IN FIREFOX

1. Download and install Google Chrome

2. Open a terminal and copy / paste the following commands:

mkdir -p ~/.mozilla/plugins
ln -s /opt/google/chrome/libgcflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/

3. Restart Firefox.

The exact same instructions above also work for Chromium (yes, using the ~/.mozilla/plugins/ folder even though it's for Chromium).
Thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by idy7000: 7:17pm On May 23, 2013
pls i need movie player

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:45pm On May 23, 2013
tirtimy:
Thanks
HTML5 is overhyped
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 12:08pm On May 28, 2013
Hey guys! A little personal plugging here. Pls bear with me.

I recently started a new Open Source/Linux Tech blog focused on Nigeria and Africa. I'm sure the posts there are gonna be of interest to anyone that reads this thread. You can check it out at http://fosswatchng.com. If you like what you see, pls follow us on social media and subscribe to the RSS. Comments and criticisms are also welcome. Tnx

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by malign(m): 2:21pm On May 28, 2013
pc guru:
HTML5 is overhyped

In what ways?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by tirtimy: 5:38pm On Jun 02, 2013
Please how can I start downloadthemall plugin in mozilla firefox because whenever I launch my firefox, it do not start downloading d file automatically. THANKS
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:23am On Jun 03, 2013
tirtimy: Please how can I start downloadthemall plugin in mozilla firefox because whenever I launch my firefox, it do not start downloading d file automatically. THANKS

is the plugin enabled in addons?

check.

then again, at the point when u install it, it usually asks if u want it to automatically grab files.

anyway when u click on a link, firefox gives you a dialog box that asks you if you want to open, save or save with downloadthemall.........

there is usually a small radio that you tick to set your option for the default action.....

you can also go into firefox preferences and on the applications tab, click on the actions column and choose your preference for each file type listed there.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by tirtimy: 2:58pm On Jun 03, 2013
4llerbuntu:

is the plugin enabled in addons?

check.

then again, at the point when u install it, it usually asks if u want it to automatically grab files.

anyway when u click on a link, firefox gives you a dialog box that asks you if you want to open, save or save with downloadthemall.........

there is usually a small radio that you tick to set your option for the default action.....

you can also go into firefox preferences and on the applications tab, click on the actions column and choose your preference for each file type listed there.

Thanks for always been there.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Toroze(m): 3:26pm On Jun 03, 2013
Linux Mint 15 Olivia Released
Re: Ubuntu Linux by paulabdeel(m): 10:53pm On Jun 07, 2013
Hello everyone, I need assistance. I just installed Ubuntu Raring and tried to update. After everything had been downloaded, I was to Ok a font EULA then it got stuck. I was at this point for almost an hour. I could not exit from APT-GET. The process is still stuck there. The terminal reads: E dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg-- configure -a' to correct the problem. I don't know how to proceed. Please help. Thanks.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by benalvino(m): 7:07am On Jun 08, 2013
paulabdeel: Hello everyone, I need assistance. I just installed Ubuntu Raring and tried to update. After everything had been downloaded, I was to Ok a font EULA then it got stuck. I was at this point for almost an hour. I could not exit from APT-GET. The process is still stuck there. The terminal reads: E dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg-- configure -a' to correct the problem. I don't know how to proceed. Please help. Thanks.

Simply uninstall Linux and install windows and save your self some valuable time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:59am On Jun 08, 2013
paulabdeel: Hello everyone, I need assistance. I just installed Ubuntu Raring and tried to update. After everything had been downloaded, I was to Ok a font EULA then it got stuck. I was at this point for almost an hour. I could not exit from APT-GET. The process is still stuck there. The terminal reads: E dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg-- configure -a' to correct the problem. I don't know how to proceed. Please help. Thanks.

have you tried to run: sudo dpkg-- configure -a
Re: Ubuntu Linux by paulabdeel(m): 5:22pm On Jun 08, 2013
Yes, I did. Thanks.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:35pm On Jun 09, 2013
paulabdeel: Yes, I did. Thanks.
so are you saying it didn't work or the problem is now fixed?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 7:06am On Jun 19, 2013
please how can I get d latest ubuntu linuz cd/dvd from someone in Jos(of course free grin )?
d shipit program seems to have stopped!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by paulabdeel(m): 2:02pm On Jun 21, 2013
blackweaver:
so are you saying it didn't work or the problem is now fixed?
Problem not solved. I reinstalled and ran into same into same issue.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by paulabdeel(m): 6:49pm On Jun 21, 2013
Issued solved. A bug report was generated and acted upon. Things are okay now.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 11:28am On Jun 22, 2013
cogitoErgo: please how can I get d latest ubuntu linuz cd/dvd from someone in Jos(of course free grin )?
d shipit program seems to have stopped!
just download , I just downloaded 13.04 in less than 1 hour .... You can do go to (torrentz.eu)its a mata search torrent site and click on the link with most seeders cheers.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 7:00pm On Jun 22, 2013
purplekayc: just download , I just downloaded 13.04 in less than 1 hour .... You can do go to (torrentz.eu)its a mata search torrent site and click on the link with most seeders cheers.
why use torrent? undecided it's free
Re: Ubuntu Linux by benalvino(m): 9:44pm On Jun 22, 2013
ciphoenix: why use torrent? undecided it's free
if he doesn't know how or where to download it... he shouldn't be using linux

(1) (2) (3) ... (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.