Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,261 members, 7,815,426 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (146) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (463970 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:09pm On Feb 01, 2017
Jregz:

Edit - I saw kubuntu instead of Xubuntu
Old - - I don't like KDE a tiny bit.

NEW - oh Xubuntu is lightweight too but I can't trade good ui for anything else.

A friend told me MATE desktop is pretty lightweight though.

Mate ui is like gnome 2.x but uses gnome 3 libraries
Re: Ubuntu Linux by sugualzy: 10:39am On Feb 16, 2017
Can I use Ubuntu Live CD to bypass windows login password?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Techvillz(m): 5:00pm On Feb 16, 2017
The best Light weight Linux Distro... Used for both forensics and pentesting...
It can rum smoothly on the least pc with the lowest ram and configurations.... DEFT Linux is here!
http://www.techvillz.com/2017/02/deft-zero-lightweight--linux-20171.html
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 10:47am On Mar 02, 2017
Gargoylesmiles:

I am a KDE fan so i have the Linux MInt 18 KDE currently running KDE Neon (User Editon).
KDE Neon is the best thing since sliced bread. Its everything you want from an operating system and brings out the best of the K Desktop. What I love the most about it is that the Neon is a KDE rolling release that is based on a stable Ubuntu LTS. You get the latest stable edition of Kde 5 on a solid base. KDE 5 itself is a joy to use. You install and you are ready to go. It is also stripped bare and does not come with bloats like akonadi, amarok or any of those non sense, It's clean and light on resources, what else could one ask for?

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ebenezf: 2:59pm On Mar 02, 2017
Just in case someone asks. I had been finding it difficult using ethernet connection on my Ubuntu OS which is being hosted by Microsoft OS on VirtualBox. What i did was to switch on my VirtualB0ox from NAT to Bridge Adapter.

From your VirtualBox-----Settings------Network--------From the drop down of Attached to(Select Bridge Adapter)

Once that is done you can adjust your Linux OS ethernet protocol settings by either selecting a DHCP or Static connection.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by uzoexcel(m): 12:25pm On Mar 11, 2017
Hi guys

For someone who is used to the ubuntu/kubuntu distro, is it easy to adapt to a job requiring deep knowledge of Red hat?how similar are the interfaces?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Craigston: 10:37pm On Mar 11, 2017
uzoexcel:
Hi guys

For someone who is used to the ubuntu/kubuntu distro, is it easy to adapt to a job requiring deep knowledge of Red hat?how similar are the interfaces?
The userland and applications are quite similar. Things get different in configuration for certain things. You have to figure out where things go because the file system hierarchy is slightly different. But it won't take long to get it. I'd say, download CentOS, install it and learn it. It's very close to Redhat; it's RHEL without the license and brand endorsement.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:09pm On Mar 12, 2017
uzoexcel:
Hi guys

For me the 2 biggest differences between using Ubuntu and redhat- based distros are the package managers/package types (rpm vs deb) and the system daemon types (systemd Vs upstart I believe)

I don't think you should have too much problems with the gui. However get used to using su rather than sudo and yum instead of apt-get

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by uzoexcel(m): 4:37pm On Mar 12, 2017
I am trying to unstall ubuntu via the Wubi installer on an old laptop that has no working dvd rom and i dont have a usb flash drive with me. I keep getting this error message at the beginning of the installation process..

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:31am On Mar 14, 2017
You can't install it that way
You are installing from the same media space.

You might try to repartition the HD and use the first partition to store the iso and install into the other partition

but I doubt even that will work. Wubi is abandonware for a long while now
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:24am On Mar 14, 2017
can we know the contents of the log file? That's the only way we can figure out what's wrong
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Tominiola: 8:22pm On Mar 18, 2017
Sorry to deviate from the topic, but does anyone study Cloud computing?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by escapefromusa(f): 3:28am On Mar 28, 2017
Tominiola:
Sorry to deviate from the topic, but does anyone study Cloud computing?

Ubuntu has an ecosystem for this but don't waste your time ... if you want to be a provider.

AWS, Microsoft and RedHat own this terrain. AWS is the cheapest.

However, if your just interested in the infrastructure for personal or commercial use.... i.e a vps or dedi server.

Look at scaleway to start and the other french company that owns "so you can start.com"... forgot the name.

I use scaleway and AWS.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:30pm On Apr 05, 2017
Crazy news today.

Ubuntu is abandoning the Unity desktop and going back to Gnome.

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/04/05/growing-ubuntu-for-cloud-and-iot-rather-than-phone-and-convergence/

For me, this is where I definitely part ways with Ubuntu. I am terribly disappointed.

I really dislike the Gnome desktop so .

Guess KDE neon has me now.

I'm so sad. It's weird, I never thought I was attached to it like this.

I can never trust anything Canonical does or promises anymore.

2 Likes

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:32am On Apr 06, 2017
Never took to gnome 3 or unity myself, for me it has always been either xubuntu or Ubuntu mate. I don't really dig kde5 either
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 8:23am On Apr 06, 2017
4llerbuntu:
Crazy news today.

Ubuntu is abandoning the Unity desktop and going back to Gnome.

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/04/05/growing-ubuntu-for-cloud-and-iot-rather-than-phone-and-convergence/

For me, this is where I definitely part ways with Ubuntu. I am terribly disappointed.

I really dislike the Gnome desktop so .

Guess KDE neon has me now.

I'm so sad. It's weird, I never thought I was attached to it like this.

I can never trust anything Canonical does or promises anymore.

Thats not even the Big news. The big news is that Ubuntu is divesting from the LInux desktop and instead focusing on Cloud and IoT. This makes a whole lot of sense to me and I think the Linux Desktop would be better for it here is why:

Too Much Not Invented here syndrome:

Canonical's before now was mostly focused on the deskop and this meant lots of its resources was thrown into making a LInux desktop experience that would easy to use for the average joe. Canonical rather than go with the crowd sometimes around 2011 decided to go its own way and create its own unique experience outside what is already available in the free software ecosystem:
It develop Unity in place of Gnome
Ubuntu Software Center In place of Gnome Software
Compiz In place of Mutter,
Mir Inplace of Wayland etc

For 6 years canonical wasted money trying to reinvent the wheel .. It was really tragic for free software because this money should never have been so wasted if Canonical had instead worked with existing projects.. This new turn in direction means canonical can do what they do best. bring out the best in Gnome.

Divesting from desktop would also allow the company focus on its area of commercial strength being a cloud company. IoT is a new frontier for computing and the company stands a chance to compete in that space too..

In all its good that the company finally taking the right turn and getting out of wasteful efforts..
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Craigston: 1:28am On Apr 07, 2017
Canonical spent too much time doing something unnecessary, but I don't blame them. If this will move the community forward, it's welcome. Most of the talent laid off from the Unity project can contribute their experience to Gnome or KDE, or any other DE, so we get more quality.
One thing that needs addressing on *nix desktop is compatibility between Qt, GTK, and other frameworks. Qt does a good job at that, but the GTK team is still slacking.
Also, power management has continued to be a pain to me. My system runs like a server, not like a laptop. It's one thing that needs attention of the community.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:29am On Apr 07, 2017
Except that's not what they are doing.

Read between the lines. They are nuking the entire consumer desktop thing.

They just can't drop it outright because they have support agreements to honour for a few years.

They sacked 3/4 of the desktop team and all of the UX team.
That's not a company focused on "going back to what it used to be"

Just keep enough people to maintain the LTS for it's shelf life and do a basic respin of gnome that can serve as a base for anyone who want to use Ubuntu with a GUI.

Best case scenario is a Red hat type of thing. There's a reason you don't hear anyone talk about redhat outside Enterprise.

The real problem is this is taking the whole Linux consumer land back several steps . There's a reason why most tech companies don't take Linux seriously enough to support it. Ubuntu has been the only one that's gained a bit of traction to get support.

The limited GPU drivers support Linux gets is directed at Ubuntu as a target for instance. Even Skype for Linux is mainly targeted at Ubuntu. It's easy for everyone to have a standard base. But the community and GNU folks decided all out war was the best way to handle Ubuntu.

Who is going to waste time and resources in doing stuff for Community Projects? U think Nvidia and co are going to continue wasting effort producing blobs for Linux?

Even projects like Steam are in a spot of bother now. They now have to fork and maintain a custom Linux from scratch rather than just put add-ons on ubuntu.

Because best case scenario is that Ubuntu itself on the desktop becomes a community project. Mark has decided he has lost enough money supporting a project without traction and a lot of opposition.

Great day for Linux tbh. Nice job everyone

PS: spare a thought for those Linux Mint idiots who used Ubuntu as a base and kept spreading FUD and trying to say they were better than Ubuntu.
Now there's ​nobody to hold their dicks for them whilst they pee. Wankers

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 5:52pm On Apr 07, 2017
Well for the Mint people there's always debian unstable, and i'm not sure ubuntu is totally ditching linux after all the kubuntu, xubuntu, lubuntu ubuntu mate communities will still be active.
Anyway we'll see how thing turn out in the next few years
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Craigston: 6:20pm On Apr 07, 2017
So we've gone around, and around, and we're back to years ago.
There's already a fork of the Unity desktop on GitHub. It'll probably not take off strong, as there are other desktops with stronger following. But if it does, it might be something good.
I already saw Ubuntu going the Redhat way. The company is maturing, and innovation at breakneck speed is stifling. The investors and potential shareholders want money, unbounded growth and a fine balance sheet; Canonical obeys the last command. That's the way of corporate capitalism.
A possible solution is to make Ubuntu Server and Ubuntu Core, and other enterprise-focused products Canonical's main thrust, and turn Ubuntu Desktop to the community, just like Fedora is to Redhat, providing enough support for the community to go strong with it.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 6:46pm On Apr 07, 2017
KDE is the ish left unity since
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Craigston: 11:11pm On Apr 07, 2017
pcguru1:
KDE is the ish left unity since
It's beautiful, but it's quite heavy. And the 'meta' key (the windows key) doesn't open the applications menu in KDE (and Xfce too). I have to rebind it to 'meta+A' to make it work. Little annoyances here and there; Browser tabs don't close with 'Ctrl+F4', something I find handy in Gnome, Cinnamon and Unity. Somehow, Gnome is rather intuitive in its design. It just needs more malleability and support for Qt.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:21pm On Apr 07, 2017
Craigston:

It's beautiful, but it's quite heavy. And the 'meta' key (the windows key) doesn't open the applications menu in KDE (and Xfce too). I have to rebind it to 'meta+A' to make it work. Little annoyances here and there; Browser tabs don't close with 'Ctrl+F4', something I find handy in Gnome, Cinnamon and Unity. Somehow, Gnome is rather intuitive in its design. It just needs more malleability and support for Qt.

yeah it's quite heavy sometimes as we speak am using XFCE it's light and fast
Re: Ubuntu Linux by rayralph(m): 7:26am On Apr 08, 2017
sugualzy:
Can I use Ubuntu Live CD to bypass windows login password?

Interchange the sethc.exe and cmd.exe files

Summon your magic fingers

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 5:58pm On Apr 08, 2017
4llerbuntu:
Except that's not what they are doing.

Read between the lines. They are nuking the entire consumer desktop thing.

They just can't drop it outright because they have support agreements to honour for a few years.

They sacked 3/4 of the desktop team and all of the UX team.
That's not a company focused on "going back to what it used to be"

Just keep enough people to maintain the LTS for it's shelf life and do a basic respin of gnome that can serve as a base for anyone who want to use Ubuntu with a GUI.

Best case scenario is a Red hat type of thing. There's a reason you don't hear anyone talk about redhat outside Enterprise.

The real problem is this is taking the whole Linux consumer land back several steps . There's a reason why most tech companies don't take Linux seriously enough to support it. Ubuntu has been the only one that's gained a bit of traction to get support.

The limited GPU drivers support Linux gets is directed at Ubuntu as a target for instance. Even Skype for Linux is mainly targeted at Ubuntu. It's easy for everyone to have a standard base. But the community and GNU folks decided all out war was the best way to handle Ubuntu.

Who is going to waste time and resources in doing stuff for Community Projects? U think Nvidia and co are going to continue wasting effort producing blobs for Linux?

Even projects like Steam are in a spot of bother now. They now have to fork and maintain a custom Linux from scratch rather than just put add-ons on ubuntu.

Because best case scenario is that Ubuntu itself on the desktop becomes a community project. Mark has decided he has lost enough money supporting a project without traction and a lot of opposition.

Great day for Linux tbh. Nice job everyone

PS: spare a thought for those Linux Mint idiots who used Ubuntu as a base and kept spreading FUD and trying to say they were better than Ubuntu.
Now there's ​nobody to hold their dicks for them whilst they pee. Wankers

This is a grim assessment of events .. Too grim.. The Linux world would lose more from if a company like redhat pulls out of Linux (that's not going to happen)

Canonical cause was noble and they did help bring some momentum to the Linux desktop. However they also made some reckless mistakes particularly choosing to go the NIH (not invented here) route with many project rather than rally with the community to create a gold standard. Imagine the resources wasted on Mir, Ubuntu Software Center to name a few.. Worse mistakes were made and resources wasted on moon projects like Ubuntu phone, tv, tablets etc.. Ubuntu lacked the experience money or man power to take these project to the finished products.

From time biggest money maker for canonical has been Ubuntu in enterprise yet very little was done to improve things on that front. I know because I spent over 8 years of my life trying to get Ubuntu to work on an enterprise environment.. Its a pain. The Ubuntu server and cloud is another huge maker. Yet vast amount of canonical fund were wasted on unnecessary things.

Ubuntu was best known for adding polish to gnome desktop.. Things started going down hill when there started down their own road.. They lost a vast amount of their community and lost lots of good will.. Mark Shuttleworth condescending attitudes to negative feedback didn't help things.

Linux desktop is save.. Even at its height Ubuntu general contributions to advancement of Linux on desktop in terms of codes was less than 2% .. The burden usually. Lies with Redhat.. Today Linux boast of the best network management utility in Graphical desktop thanks to works by redhat employees.. Same people also work on print management, graphic driver support (the fedora guys did an amazing job on getting open source driver for nvidia) Canonical dropping from the Linux desktop won't do more than mandrake fall did for desktop Linux.. Distro come and go life goes on.

Linux is not doing well on the desktop which is not a bad thing because desktop computing is not particularly doing well. Mobile is the new desktop and Linux with android has that cornered.

Canonical has come back to their senses too bad after millions of dollars where spent fooling around. Canonical will not abandon Desktop Linux.. They would go back to doing what they do best. Add polish to jobs done by redhat and co.. Hopefully they can hand Ubuntu to a truly independent foundation and have it managed by the community keeping some guys around to sort out bugs and add further polish.

Not a bad news but a chance to refocus and do the right thing. Ubuntu made desktop Linux popular and that goodwill will always remains with it.. This announcement won't change that.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by uzoexcel(m): 6:06pm On Apr 14, 2017
Gargoylesmiles:

You can check this out before you start...https://training.linuxfoundation.org/
Cheers.
Gd one bro
Re: Ubuntu Linux by uzoexcel(m): 6:11pm On Apr 14, 2017
Gargoylesmiles:

You can check this out before you start...https://training.linuxfoundation.org/
Cheers.
Courses though r pretty expensive
Re: Ubuntu Linux by uzoexcel(m): 6:15pm On Apr 14, 2017
Craigston:

Go to the download page (www.kali.org/downloads).
But why Kali? Kali is specifically designed for penetration testing so it's not recommended for regular use. Do you intend to use it as a regular distro?
Here's a link to the 64-bit full ISO image:
[url]cdimage.kali.org/kali-2016.2/kali-linux-2016.2-amd64.iso[/url]
Thnks for d link
Re: Ubuntu Linux by uzoexcel(m): 6:20pm On Apr 14, 2017
Why not use 'wubi' to install ubuntu...

4llerbuntu:

It's obvious the answer is to reinstall Ubuntu in UEFI.....

Wipe the Ubuntu partition in Windows. Reclaim the space. Make sure Windows is working fine as a sole boot in UEFI

Then try Install Ubuntu in UEFI

PS: u need to disable fast startup and properly shutdown windows before installing Ubuntu...
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 9:57pm On Apr 16, 2017
Yea, they are.

uzoexcel:

Courses though r pretty expensive

(1) (2) (3) ... (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.