Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,648 members, 7,861,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 05:02 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (469502 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 11:34pm On Jan 25, 2009
bigrovar:

name of system e.g hp dv2345
acer travelmate 5720
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 9:30am On Jan 26, 2009
although i did some research and no body with that type of laptop seem to have the problem you are having with the ubuntu freezing up and stuff , which make me think that it could be a case of a badly burnt ISO image. in any case to be sure try what esquire said

when you insert the ubuntu CD and it boot before you choose whether to install or test you need to add some parameters to your boot options , so press F6

at this stage press F6

then would see something like this

now put
 noapic nolapic
after quiet slpash-- just has i have done in the above screen shot , once that is done you can then processed to choose to install/run as live cd , tell me how it goes , am always on yahoo btw and my ID is bigbrovar
Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 9:13pm On Jan 27, 2009
thanks bigrovar, i was able to run the live cd.here's my screen shot.
now, if i want to dual boot ubuntu and vista, can i install directly from the ubuntu desktop by clicking install or i would need to partition my hard drive first? is the partitioning software included in the cd that would automatically do the partitioning for me? i have two hard drive, i want to dedicate one to ubuntu. i noticed that my webcam and bluetooth didn't work, well that would be another problem to solve. and my starcomms data card, scanner etc

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 9:50am On Jan 28, 2009
flyuche:

thanks bigrovar, i was able to run the live cd.here's my screen shot.
now, if i want to dual boot ubuntu and vista, can i install directly from the ubuntu desktop by clicking install or i would need to partition my hard drive first? is the partitioning software included in the cd that would automatically do the partitioning for me? i have two hard drive, i want to dedicate one to ubuntu. i noticed that my webcam and bluetooth didn't work, well that would be another problem to solve. and my starcomms data card, scanner etc

am happy it worked for you ,  you see the advantage of a live cd ,  give you the opportunity to look before you leap. so you know what works and what doesnt ,  now before you try anything ,  i want you to run the following commands and post the output of each here

sudo lshw

short for "list hardware" what it does is show list of all the hardware of your machine ,  wireless webcam and all

second run this
lsusb
short for list usb what it does it list all usb peripherals attached to your computer. (some webcams are actually usb )

now i want you to test if wireless works for you. or run this 
sudo lshw | grep Network 
which would display what type of network card your are using , 

also i would like you to post a picture of your starcoms card ,  so i know which type it is ,  some cards have been proven to work ,  some have not been tested ,   

about the dualbooting ,  i wrote a guide in my blog but it is based on feisty and hence old and probably outdated ,  try this guide instead ,   http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first.htm its very comprehensive and easy to follow ,   study the guide (that was what i did) preferably have a spare computer beside you,  or print the guide ,  its actually not hard to follow ,  about the scanner ,  u can use the life cd again ,  plug in your scanner and try this tool called  Xane imager scanner ,  its under Application/Graphic/Xane imager scanner on the top menu panel ,  it should detect your scanner automatically ,  if not post the model so we can do some research on how to soil it to work (some hardware makers dont release their drivers for linux ,  or even give specification to the linux devs on how to create a driver for linux ,  to get this things to work the community has to reverse engineer the hardware by creating their own driver to work with it ,  which works most times but other times can be shakky)

edit to run the above commands you use Terminal , its under /Applications/Accessories/Terminal
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 2:47pm On Jan 28, 2009
@flyuche
Dont try to partition your drive from ubuntu with vista. i have tried it several times and its often problematic i dont know maybe thats one of the update included in vista sp1 just to frustrate the effort of user to stick to their OS alone.

But try it this way and it has worked always for me on vista.
Go to Control Panel - Admistrative tools - computer management - Disk management. etc i dont know the exact but try to locate since i dont have vista on my pc now. and resize your hardrive from there to your desired size then boot ubuntu and when it comes to partitioning choose use the largest free space. I have tried it this way about 6 times when installing for people with vista. may ubuntu be with you all. Cheerio
Re: Ubuntu Linux by slovely: 8:58pm On Jan 28, 2009
I'm very happy to find the ubuntu community extention in this Nairaland. Well done guys for this development. I salute the courage of you fellow Nigerians. Quite true this software and system can do a great deal. I use it for automation and the realtime capability is real. The Classicladder is an ideal and extra-ordinary as compared to other PLC systems made by Modicon. Allen bradley, Simatic 7 etc. Currently the introduction things like the MODBUS makes the

@esquire
It's not correct to say so that Ubuntu linux can not be partitioned to work alongside with Windows vista. My system is partitioned and it has been working perfectly well - EXCELLENTLY WELL. Maybe you are using a much earlier version. or that version of ubuntu linux that you are using is incompartible. I use the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS hardy heron and I can't see a system that work so perfectly. If you may wish to know, I use vista ultimate. I have also done the partitioning XP and it also worked well.

Well done guys, please keep it up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by slovely: 9:01pm On Jan 28, 2009
I'm very happy to find the ubuntu community extention in this Nairaland. Well done guys for this development. I salute the courage of you fellow Nigerians. Quite true this software and system can do a great deal. I use it for automation and the realtime capability is real. The Classicladder is an ideal and extra-ordinary as compared to other PLC systems made by Modicon. Allen bradley, Simatic 7 etc. Currently the introduction things like the MODBUS makes the

@esquire
It's not correct to say so that Ubuntu linux can not be partitioned to work alongside with Windows vista. My system is partitioned and it has been working perfectly well - EXCELLENTLY WELL. Maybe you are using a much earlier version. or that version of ubuntu linux that you are using is incompartible. I use the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS hardy heron and I can't see a system that work so perfectly. If you may wish to know, I use vista ultimate. I have also done the partitioning XP and it also worked well.

Well done guys, please keep it up
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 1:16am On Jan 29, 2009
?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 1:27am On Jan 29, 2009
it's not correct to say so that Ubuntu linux can not be partitioned to work alongside with Windows vista. My system is partitioned and it has been working perfectly well - EXCELLENTLY WELL.
[/quote]

@flyuche
Did you read my post? I bought a new laptop for my friend hp 550 and installed intrepid ibex many things went wrong that i have restore back to factory settings and too bad i had not burnt the recovery parttionand the laptop in question is a centrino if you know that means with linux. And countless situations like that but i usally do it like that if its a vista but Xp dont always have problem with linux. Plus am just trying to help if anything goes wrong and vista will not boot and you will use ur recovery disc if u have one and that'll format ur system and reinstall and you will lose you datas and you'll be telling anybody who cares to listen all sort of fuds.

Maybe you are using a much earlier version.

Intrepid ibex 8.10

or that version of ubuntu linux that you are using is incompartible.
[quote]

Theres hardly any version of linux thats not compactible with a centrino

This is your first installation right? shocked gotten it right this time does not mean its all rosy have had my fair share of dv6700 if you catch my drift. Like in dv6000 series with 8.10 you must not restart from vista you have to shutdown proper before oning it and boot directly from cd or else on getting to the partioner in ubuntu you'll not see any hardisk 1.e your hardrive will not be configured/recongnise from startup
Enjoy ubuntu. Cheerio
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 10:00am On Jan 29, 2009
@ slovely good to see that you are using ubuntu for serious work, about the partitioning i agree with esquire that its safer to sue the vista partitioning tool to create a partition for ubuntu , for some weird reasons the free disk space that is displayed in windows explorer is not the actual disk space available for your machine. its much smaller that it displays , the biggest problem is the fragmentation of files all over the disk making it difficult to create a partition, add pageing files and system reinstall which make use of your hard disk then u have windows making use of more hard-drive than it clams.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 1:39pm On Jan 29, 2009
Bigbrovar thanks for the contribution o jare.
Am am currently using a gsm to browse if u know what i mean.
I connected through wine the latest interpid version it did well but due to some wierd reason it reason it refuse to connect again and theres this guy i installed mint for that same wierd stuff happened. But yersterday night with stephen i boot from live cd and guess what it browsed. am currently plannign of reloading my system just to eradicate the problem ccos as am currently typing am using that MCE you game me and its killing me.

I notice that Mozilla firefox of the same version, the same connection medium in ubuntu is very fast than the one in windows even with livecd its blazing fast. I also noticed that firefox in vista is somewhat problematic or maybe MS dont want it to perform better than IE7. undecided undecided undecided.

@fluche
Wellcome to absolute freedom and am happy for your liberation from the shackles of M$ and if you are a gamer dont forget to check linuxgames.com, games.linux.sk and also check www.winehq.com for a whole list of commercial application and game that can be run on linux through wine
and there a whole lots of commercial applications that have linux alternative which are always of better quality
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 12:01am On Jan 30, 2009
My screenshot

Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 12:19am On Jan 30, 2009
Another screenshot

Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 8:35am On Jan 30, 2009
i have not installed ubuntu on my system yet. i created a virtual machine, got a training manual and i am practicing my ubuntu kungfu in the vm
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 11:40pm On Feb 09, 2009
I have enough of kungfu with wine to make a software to work na all the .dll files i get from Windoze cds i copied into wine system32 folder the one from media center, SP1 and SP2. The problem started like this i thought i did something to it there is this new ubuntu cconvert that has a taste of browsing in ubuntu like amarok, songbird, banshee and media screenlets and weather, rss feed etc, trust me, i showed the guy effisy, Allah the guy dissed vista for ubuntu and the wine sheet happened just after three days in heaven for the guycry cry

I thought i did something but its just wine wahala i had to purge wine config and reinstall everyday before using but belive me thats still better compare to the pain of being stuck with m$ Windoze.

But now its very stable thanks to over 500 .dll files

pidgeon does not support proxy? so i downloaded Kopete but i noticed its the same problem and right now am compiling empathy wil ley y'all know how it goes.
Does anyone knows an IM that support proxy
Cheerio
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 6:46pm On Feb 10, 2009
pidgin does indeed supports proxy. infact it can intergrate with the gnome global proxy in , /system/preference/network-proxy , u can set proxy for pidgin in /tools/preference/network/ then scrol down to proxy server and choose http , from there u can put the the necessary proxy settings, btw althoug i have wine installed , i havnt used any MS technology or application for about 1 year. i use FOSS for all my stuffs. but its always good to have it around.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 11:33pm On Feb 10, 2009
My brother i dont have an alternative to that very tool in question undecided cry you know quite well am an opensource guy to the fullest cool grin. Bout the pidgin stuff thing i have tried all you said before and thanks for thr advise anyway. I always try not to make full of myself by just complaining and not troubleshooting and seeing later that i did not look well.
Guy i want to talk to you bout some stuff. I used to chat with you on meebo which disconnect eractically. CHEERIO and keep searching for me. plus have not gotten around with empaty cos am always busy with aptitude.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 1:25am On Feb 11, 2009
If you've seen dreamscene on Vista and it makes you wow and you feel its not possible in linux check this link http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/search/label/Video%20as%20Wallpaper%20Ubuntu
Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 5:15pm On Mar 28, 2009
for some reasons i don't understand, couldn't install ubuntu on my acer travelmate laptop. today i decided to battle it out. after 3hours of manipulations i finally succeeded in creating a dual boot with my vista. every thing is working fine, the most interesting part is that my starcomms data card is working perfectly well, no software installation required, is like all the drivers are already there.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 8:56pm On Mar 28, 2009
hmmmmm wit all dis cool stuff am tinking of tryin out ubuntu again d tin is i dont hv d recent release undecided
@flyuche which 1 did u use on ur lappy? can u put som screenshots?

@bigrovar can i instal faisty fawn on a pentium 3, 40gig, 128RAM(not sure) or wil intrepid ibex go on it?tnx 4 ur response

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 4:40am On Mar 29, 2009
lynxnoon:

hmmmmm wit all dis cool stuff am tinking of tryin out ubuntu again d tin is i dont hv d recent release undecided
intrepid ibex. 8.10
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lexdino: 12:18pm On Mar 29, 2009
i sometimes use the puppy version.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 7:51pm On Mar 29, 2009
lynxnoon:

@bigrovar can i instal faisty fawn on a pentium 3, 40gig, 128RAM(not sure) or wil intrepid ibex go on it?tnx 4 ur response

about feisty i would advise u install it. its has reached the end of its live and is nolonger supported by ubuntu.this means that once u install it u wont be able to gets updates from synaptic as all the repos are closed. for that kind of ram i would advise u try a distro like puppy linux or crunchbang linux which is based on ubuntu but uses the openbox window manager. but i would personally go for puppy which is not more than 100mb in size but can do amazing things cheers.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 8:08pm On Mar 29, 2009
i the last post i meant i wont advise u use feisty the modify icon coudnt be found so i couldnt edit the typo
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 10:15pm On Mar 29, 2009
tnx Bigrovar wink
wil chk out d puppy linux now smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 7:54pm On Apr 01, 2009
@lynxnoon
so how far so far with puppy linux?
my main grouse with it is that i have to run as root and it doesn't automatically mount partitions
even when i specify in /etc/fstab

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 9:38pm On Apr 03, 2009
blackweaver:

@lynxnoon
my main grouse with it is that i have to run as root and it doesn't automatically mount partitions
i feel ur reservation , but u have to understand that puppy was not meant to be ur general desktop distro. but rather for rescue and recovery purpose, or for on demand access to a desktop environment , having said that puppy is still linux, and you can still create a non root user since it uses the same command syntax as Linux , u might just have to install something like gdm am sure a few googling should do it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 12:53am On Apr 04, 2009
blackweaver:

@lynxnoon
hv not tried it out yet because i nid to get a new power pack for d laptop i want to try it on sad undecided
wil let u know hw far wen i do
meanwhile try out bigrovars suggestion
cheers
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ExInferis(m): 3:41pm On Apr 06, 2009
my Ubuntu 8.10 desktop

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 4:13pm On Apr 06, 2009
@Ex. what's your impression using ubuntu?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ExInferis(m): 5:16pm On Apr 06, 2009
its been a great experience. besides Mac OS X theres nothing to beat it (PcLOS comes close for ease of use)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.