Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,809 members, 7,837,914 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (466267 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:51pm On Aug 11, 2008
@fissayo
i almost used suse once, the installation almost completed if not for the bad cd. But really ubuntu give me basically what i need plus one of the most active communities in the world.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 1:24pm On Aug 11, 2008
afo am making a new aptcd as i speak , i need u to give me a list of apps u want me to add , right now i have almost all the usuals but i want to make this really big , we have a central update server here , so already there are about 9gb or packages on our apt-cacher but am adding more packages , if there is any specific program in the repos that u want me to add like games and the likes please let me know ,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by fanistic(m): 2:06pm On Aug 11, 2008
If it is possible to load very recent novels such as john grisham, patricia cornwel., etc i wld not mind having novels to read on my xubuntu. Thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 2:17pm On Aug 11, 2008
there is a tool on ubuntu called wine , which allows u to install native windows applications , it works with must windows applications but its not guaranteed to work with all , so u might want to install those apps u have on windows that have no Ubuntu equivalents ,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nuremac(m): 3:23pm On Aug 11, 2008
What is the minimum machine t instal ubuntu? Send reply to nuremac@yahoo.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by uspry1(f): 3:59pm On Aug 11, 2008
bigrovar:

there is a tool on ubuntu called wine , which allows u to install native windows applications , it works with must windows applications but its not guaranteed to work with all , so u might want to install those apps u have on windows that have no Ubuntu equivalents ,

Check out existing NL threads at below:

HowTo: install WINE in Ubuntu
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-151968.0.html#msg2521663

How Do I know if Windows applications work running on Linux OS like Ubuntu?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-151968.0.html#msg2521886

What is Dual-Boot?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-151968.0.html#msg2526736
Re: Ubuntu Linux by uspry1(f): 4:00pm On Aug 11, 2008
Nuremac:

What is the minimum machine t instal ubuntu? Send reply to nuremac@yahoo.com

The minimum computer/laptop to install any Linux OS like Ubuntu as follow below:
[list]
[li]512MB RAM memory chip[/li]

[li]2GB enough for Linux installation---it works any 40GB to 300GB hard disk drive, no problem![/li]

[li]If you don't have 512MB RAM or 40GB hard disk drive, select "MINIMAL INSTALLATION", cool for older computer/laptop!!![/li]

[li]If you don't have video/graphic adapter card installed your machine, select "NO GRAPHIC DESKTOP", choose KDE instead of Gnome.[/li]

[li]Linux OS does work on any older machines as well as newest machines, no problem![/li]
[/list]

Unlikely Windows Vista's requirement for Vista OS installation: MUST BE 2GB RAM, video/graphic adapter card and 120GB or higher hard disk drive on all NEWEST MACHINE or upgrade newest motherboard that support Windows Vista OS. This OS will not work on older machine that has only 512MB RAM and below 120GB hard disk drive---NOT WORK cause slow system perfomance. Check with existing Nairaland thread to tweak yourself Windows Vista better optimized performance.

Good luck!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 4:51pm On Aug 11, 2008
@Bigbrovar
please include kmobiletools, the ones in the repo might be a bit old so you can download from the official website. Also include Nvu a web design program. Also include the car racing game can't remember the name. If symphony office is free then do include it. Also lxde is important. Now i also saw The Entertainer Project, its supposed to be a lightweight media center. Its less than 6mb. Also include some good icon themes and other themes from online. That should be all i think.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 8:16pm On Aug 11, 2008
@Bigbrovar
please include kmobiletools, the ones in the repo might be a bit old so you can download from the official website. Also include Nvu a web design program. Also include the car racing game can't remember the name. If symphony office is free then do include it. Also lxde is important. Now i also saw The Entertainer Project, its supposed to be a lightweight media center. Its less than 6mb. Also include some good icon themes and other themes from online. That should be all i think.
good i will include those tools i was actually talking about repo apps for the apt on cd , what i want to do is have seperate apps on cd for different repos , hence i plan to download all the packages in medibuntu repo and make it iinto a aptcd just for medibuntu , same for lxde etc , about the program u taked about , i will surely add them ,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by hayprof(m): 12:22am On Aug 22, 2008
here, u r the one & only brovar? undecided
Re: Ubuntu Linux by SENservice(m): 6:07pm On Aug 22, 2008
This Obuntu breaks my head, please come to the laymans language, lol, the system configs that i am reading in this article is , gba gba gba, shey you understand, ehn ehn.

what is linux

wwhat does this special software does.

My computer recently crached, i lost alot of files, i

is what youre sayin, havin anything to do with this?

You can as well meet me here before i visit this hangout again, okay thanks for reading through.

digcdstyle..com

My diary very intresting, check it out now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by uspry1(f): 6:20pm On Aug 22, 2008
SENservice:

This Obuntu breaks my head, please come to the laymans language, lol, the system configs that i am reading in this article is , gba gba gba, shey you understand, ehn ehn.

what is linux

wwhat does this special software does.

My computer recently crached, i lost alot of files, i

is what youre sayin, havin anything to do with this?

You can as well meet me here before i visit this hangout again, okay thanks for reading through.

digcdstyle(dot)(dot)com

My diary very intresting, check it out now.

This is hardware problem, not software itself. OS has nothing to do with it!

Your crashed hard disk drive can be recover being transferring all your files into new hard disk drive after you purchase, no problem! Go see computer repair technician to take care of it for you bringing your system with your OS disk with you. Your system will be normally the same way you use before with BRAND NEW HARD DISK DRIVE (HDD) [/b]along with your existing files there that has not [b]LOST!

Be sure your HDD is sufficient enough for storing your favorite files at least between 150GB to 300GB if you are music/video freak!

Linux is non-Microsoft operating system. One of three different kind of operating system to be installed on your system. Without OS, your system will not run just like a blank videotape on your VCR to play---NOTHING COME OUT TO WATCH ON YOUR TV.

OS is short word for Operating System. What are the other OS? These are very popular everywhere in the world!!!

[list]
[li]Windows OS[/li]
[li]Linux OS[/li]
[li]Mac OS[/li]
[/list]
Re: Ubuntu Linux by webrichy: 7:33am On Aug 29, 2008
Hello, I have gotten my Ubuntu Software 7.10. I wish to install it, but I have a little problem of installing since I still wish to keep my Window Vista business Ed. I have only two disk partitions. Drive C and D. D is just a 2g free space hard disk drive, while Cis a 75g free space drive. What do i do. How do I partition it now so that I can install Ubuntu. I can't wait to have a Linus OS. Please, Help

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by mendax: 11:54am On Aug 29, 2008
@uspry1
please i hav a prob with connecting to the internet with my starcomms usb phone. i know that this issue has been overfloggd in this thread cos i hav read almost all the solutions provided but my ubuntu simply doesnt detect my phone. i tried the methods in the ubuntu wordpress also given by bigrovar & wale but no luck.
wen i giv a sudo wvdialconf i get;

scanning your serial ports for a modem
modem Port scan<*1>: S0   S1   S2   S3

sorry, no no modem was detected! Is it in use by another program?

Did you configure it properly with setserial?

please read the FAQ at http://open.nit.ca/wiki/?WvDial

If you still have problems, send mail to <wvdial-list@list.nit.ca>

ofcourse i havent sent the mail yet. and i also ran a lsusb and got;

Bus 005 Device 007: ID 5986: 0100
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000: 0000
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 15eb: 0001
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000: 0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000: 0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000: 0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000: 0000

i've also checked out the method uspry! gave in her ubuntu 8.04 tutorials and the tutorial mimoh gave earlier on this thread in 2006, but i dont even seem to make the OS detect my usb fone. i also attempted a method i got on another site online by attempting to use vi to configure also no luck. all in all sha, i'v been browsing smoothly wit my vista ultimate. i'll really appreciate any help i can get frm the house. the phone is a Haier D1200P starcomms enabled.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 1:17pm On Aug 29, 2008
@Mendax
how do you connect to the phone is it through a serial to usb converter ? Please give more details. I know it could be frustrating at times like this.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mendax: 4:25pm On Aug 29, 2008
@adewaleafolabi
i dont know d difference exactly, but the connection is from the fone to d usb port of my laptop directly, d same type of cord supplied wit fones like motorola razr or nokia fones. so how do i know if its a serial to usb converter? thanx man!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:17pm On Aug 29, 2008
Oh i see its a mobile cdma phone. I'll start searching for info about your phone model.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:41pm On Aug 29, 2008
Disconnect all usb devices except your phone then run lsusb and post the output here
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:43am On Aug 30, 2008
Now this could help. Look at you top menubar and click on System->Preferences->Hardware Information.
After this opens, look through and see if you can find anything related to your phone.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 8:55am On Aug 30, 2008
dude , run the following command when the phone is plugged into the computer and post the output of each command here

lspci

lsusb

when u have ran this commands , now run this last one but before u do remove the phone from your pc
then

sudo tail -f /var/log/messages
after running the command then plugin your phone , u watch the terminal very closely u would notice a change in the command output when the phone is plugged in , post the out up of that change here ,

all this would help us know the type of hardware u are using , and help us help u solve the problem , cheers
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mendax: 4:12pm On Aug 30, 2008
thanx for the response guys,
@adewaleafolabi, bigrovar
here's wat i get for the lsusb

Bus 005 Device 007: ID 5986: 0100
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000: 0000
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 15eb: 0001
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000: 0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000: 0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000: 0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000: 0000

@adewaleafolabi,
after using the system- preferences - hardware information; i got the following:

vendor: VIA Telecom
Device: USB interface
Bus type: USB interface
Device type: Unknown
Capabilities: Unknown

USB version: 1.1
Bandwidth: 12.0 mbit/S
Product: USB interface

i[i] took a snapshot of the codes for lspci and tail -f /var/log/messages but i couldnt paste them on my reply, pls how do i go about it. sorry for al the inconvenience from my ignorance[/i]
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mendax: 5:04pm On Aug 30, 2008
@bigrovar
ok so i've decided to type out the diff i noticed after i plugged in my fone in the tail -f command;

Aug 30 15:08:44     Kernel: [    617.036000] usb 2 – 1:   new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
Aug 30 15:08:44 Kernel: [ 617.036000] usb 2 – 1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

so i'l also attach the result of the lspci

Re: Ubuntu Linux by uspry1(f): 5:09pm On Aug 30, 2008
THIS IS FOR @adewaleafolabi and  bigrovar

How to set up any ADSL USB MODEM on LINUX:
(don't have to be D-LINK, any brand name that has ADSL USB modem)

http://twhiteman.netfirms.com/linux_adsl.html

I hope it helps to you both @adewaleafolabi and  bigrovar, to modify for NIGERIAN ISP/broadband/dial-up providers. grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:11pm On Aug 30, 2008
@uspry
thanks i'd take a look at the link as soon as my internet gets some bearing grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:19pm On Aug 30, 2008
@bigbrovar
usually when i run lsusb, it gives me the (specific and not zero's) bus id and name of the device. And in our friends case it seems it doesn't recognise it. This is just a feeling
Re: Ubuntu Linux by fisayo: 9:58pm On Sep 01, 2008
@mendax
I think I have the same modem as yours. Is it the Haier D1200P Starcomms modem? So far, I've not been able to use this modem on Linux, however, I'm still looking into it. If I get it to work, I'll post what I did here.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:29pm On Sep 01, 2008
@fissayo
Have you tried mailing the manufacturer for support? Because it looks as if they aren't anti-linux. They've made some linux smart phones,so they might be of help.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Cipriani(m): 8:41pm On Sep 03, 2008
Pls how do I get an Umbuntu OS to install on my system, and can it work with HP Pavilion AMD Athlon4 processor of 1000MHz, 256mb ram and 16mb vga. What is the latest Unbuntu OS that has good package and programmes and also easy to understand as I am a newcomer to the use of Linux OS. I will appreciate if I can get adequate infos. I also have problem with trying to create an account on shipit.unbuntu.com. so if there are other links, I would be glad to receive them and try them out. thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 1:39am On Sep 04, 2008
Do you have a east internet connection ? If yes then go to ubuntu.com and download it. Ubuntu should work with your specification. Look at ubuntunigeria.

@bigbrovar
I mailed Haier but no reply yet.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mendax: 7:56am On Sep 04, 2008
@adewale

i also mailed haier since on 31st Aug, but no reply. i checked out their manuals (which is also avail on their site) but its all wlndows, windows & windows, they dont seem 2 know any other OS!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 2:38pm On Sep 04, 2008
@mendax
Well i guess its time you joined www.ubuntuforums.org
Post your problem in the absolute beginner section.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mendax: 9:50am On Sep 05, 2008
@adewale
roger! i'l do that right away. thanx

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.