Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,954 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:04 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (92) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464125 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:10am On Jul 11, 2011
Actually there's no Netbook edition anymore they are all joined together
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:36am On Jul 11, 2011
@pc guru. Nice to have u.
Hmmn, I really dont think so as per the qt question, unless the app is packaged in a different standalone container like air(which is deprecated for linux now)

Worth a trial but if its a networking app am very sure it wont work. Try it.

And unity 2d will definitely work on ur netbook. 11.04 is a go for you
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 7:12pm On Jul 11, 2011
pc guru:

is it possible to compile a Qt App in Windows and it'll run in linux,just asking hoping to join this marvelous thread.
From the specification docs, yes it is possible. However, you would have to cross-compile Qt itself from source. I haven't seen any pre-packaged cross-compiled Qt for any OS.

Check this link out: Cross Compiling Qt Apps. Someone explained howto! (I haven't tried it out o!)

What I do basically is to recompile the same codes on a windows machine with the Qt framework installed. Saves time! However, if you want to statically link libraries to your executables so that the target system need not have the framework installed, then you would need a cross-compiler & link to the windows libraries from linux, vice versa.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jul 11, 2011
Apparently its having issues,it hangs on the ubuntu Screen,though i kinda suspected the ACPI cuz so i used ACPI Workaround it booted,installed and restarted but after finishing it never boots past the Grub Screen. anyone experience this
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:15am On Jul 23, 2011
ok which of you linux users would like a google+ invite? preferable if you list your gmail accounts
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 4:47pm On Aug 15, 2011
Been a while since I have been to this path, I see that things have quieten down a little. Maybe I should just use this to fire up the thread a little with recent happening in the K side of the free desktop sphare. So kde 4.7 was released a while back bringing in number of subtle improvements here and there. Nothing major, Just smoothening the UI making things more stable and fast. I did an upgrade recently from kubuntu 11.04 using the backport PPA (not officially supported) So loving the new Kde 4.7, nothing really major just minor refinement here and there. One thing I love though is the porting of kdepim suits to akonadi, This means kmail, kaddressbook and korganiser are now using the revolutionary akonadi backend.

One of the thing I love about kdepim2 is how its now easy to add my google calendar to my korganiser, and my google contacts to kaddressbook. in fact I have a perfect zen btw my galaxy S2 and my desktop when it comes to calendar management and contacts. The icing on the cake is push email support for kmail which is a feature that has been one of the most requested for. completely makes kmail feature complete and the best mail client in the Linux land.

when it comes to task management I have my tasks synced with remember the milk both on the android (using astrid) and on my desktop using the RTM plasmoid this allows me to have my task synced up (who kde is really productive ).
even the plasma network manager got some love in improved mobile phone support, connecting my android device to my laptop is now a matter of plug and play (something that was abit flaky on older plasma network managers) this puts the kde network manager on per with what its gnome counterpart has to offer.

Here are some exciting stuffs to expect in coming months
I look forward to owncloud which would bring allow me sync stuffs like bookmarks, notes, music and files with a free cloud software its would be the open source dropbox on steroids. There is even work to bring facebook contacts and event notification ported to kdepim (for the facebookies) and work is being done on integration knotes with evernotes. Currently Kde is the most productive Desktop Environment in the world (IMHO and from my experience) the future can only get better. I definitely backed the right horse smiley

Now for the mandatory screenshots :p

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 5:13pm On Aug 15, 2011
^^^^
In Ubuntu Natty there is 2gigabytes of cloud space granted. Most of what you are upgrading in Kubuntu are already old news in Natty.

Welcome back, pal!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:47pm On Aug 16, 2011
una don resurrect the thread?

wats new anyways?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:19pm On Aug 16, 2011
What Yahoo messaging clients with cam and voice can work in Ubuntu ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by PRESERVER(m): 1:09am On Aug 17, 2011

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:38am On Aug 18, 2011
Empathy, install the plugins, use synaptic to locate them

Google video chat
Install Google Video chat on Linux | Ubuntu

1. Click on Link below to Download Google Video Talk plugin
http://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-talkplugin_current_i386.deb

2. Once Download finished, File is about 5.7 MB. To Install google talk plugin libglew 1.5 or libglew > 1.5 is required.

3. Just Double-Click on DEB file and Install it. If you are going to Install it with GUI then you don’t worry about Dependecies Ubuntu’s GUI Installer will take care of it.

4. Make sure you restart your browser to Use Google Video chat

Facebook Chat
use ur browser

pidgin.

i cant remember if the plugin for video is official but i think iv seen one before sha.

i dont use other chat apps, so i dunno if they support video chat. u can look at their project web pages to see the logs
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:39am On Aug 18, 2011
try this too, warning tho, im not sure its out of beta yet

http://www.phrozensmoke.com/projects/pyvoicechat/
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:58am On Aug 18, 2011
also if u can get your WINE appications to connect to the internet, u can just use the windows version of Yahoo messenger under WINE

funny thing is my system can, i just cannot remember the things i installed through winetricks to get the internet connectivity up.

i have been ghosting my install and moving it between pcs so i have'nt setup a machine from scratch in months.

if anyone can remember the exact stuff u install in Winestricks to get internet up under WINE, pls share. (believe me, its not something u will see easily, i just cannot remember anymore. but i know it was not more than three specific things)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 11:03am On Aug 18, 2011
all4naija:

^^^^
In Ubuntu Natty there is 2gigabytes of cloud space granted.
Ubuntu one uses a proprietary cloud storage format same as dropbox and the rest. what owncloud hopes to achieve is a completely free and open source cloud backend. It also brings in much more features built in than what is currently offered and hopes to achieve all this using open protocals and formats. No vendor lock in.

Most of what you are upgrading in Kubuntu are already old news in Natty.
Beside the network manager, the features that come out of the box with kde4 can not even be compared to the limited experience offered by gnome2,3 or even unity. I have used gnome unity and gnome 3 and even xfce and so I can tell u that non of them come close to the out of the box feature u get with kde. Sure it can be overwhelming at first to the new user. But once u get a hang of things, you cant go back
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 11:09am On Aug 18, 2011
all4naija:

yahoo IM is based on a proprietary IM protocol and the company has refused to release a client for linux. For the most part that you can get it to work with pidgin and telepathy shows the briliance of the reverse engineering skills of open source developers. Other areas like how it implements voice and webcam are blackbox. still some clients try to get it to work but even then their support is flaky at most. You might wanna try kopete (kde IM messenger) which has some patchy video support with yahoo. you would have to install the libjasper runtime libraries for it to work though.

This is why I rarely use yahoo, if you have anyone u wana chat with. if they have a computer they can install skype. skype video and audio works like a charm on linux. same thing with gtalk
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 9:17pm On Aug 18, 2011
Whats up people, am impressed with the good work going on in this thread of super dupper linux. tis is where i first cut my teeth in linux. hope to drop by more often soonest. cheerio grin cheesy wink smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 4:38pm On Aug 19, 2011
@bigrovar

To be sincere with you Kubuntu is incomparable to Ubuntu. I have tried it in the past and the KDE usually crash, for that simple reason I switched to Ubuntu.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 6:48am On Aug 22, 2011
all4naija:

I use gyache for video atleast. Never tried the voice, but figure it should work too.
HowTo Install Gyachi On Natty
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 10:19am On Aug 23, 2011
all4naija:

@bigrovar

To be sincere with you Kubuntu is incomparable to Ubuntu. I have tried it in the past and the KDE usually crash, for that simple reason I switched to Ubuntu.
I don't quite get this. I have met many people on identica and irc who have claimed to hate kde because it crashed on them? 99% if the time when I drill them to find out what really happens it always turned out that there tried installing kubuntu-desktop on an ubuntu installation. I also tell people its not recommended. Bad things can happen because both ubuntu and kde use very different underlining technologies and libraries many of which don't work well when mixed.

In any case when you say "crash" what do you mean? like the whole kde workspace( including the window manager Kwin, plasma - desktop shell,) crashed on you? or is it just some application you tried to open that crashed on you. I have been using and installing kde for close to 2 years now and I have never experienced a situ where its completely usable. In any case when applications crash on kde its does so gracefully posting a dialog box telling you about the crash and offering to restart the application or sending an error report. Many who come here and talk really don't know half of what their are on about. I mean kde is not for everyone. Its meant for power users. If you are someone who just want a system that works with "sane" defaults and don't need to configure your desktop experience then kde is an overkill. If however you love to have control and power for you desktop then kde is the way to go. gnome 2, unity or gnome 3 non of this have a hold on kde when it comes to the power it gives the user.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:13am On Aug 23, 2011
well, @ KDE issue, i think the real issue is just what brovar highlighted, it aint really for the noob/faint of heart.
well i think i alluded to this fact once but at that time brovar didnt agree with me.

but then, these days i even tend to disagree with that. i dont see a noob having so much problem as such much more than on gnome
what i feel these days is:

1. KDE is very picky when it comes to hardware. and the base requirements are higher than for Gnome
2. community support is not as established as for gnome.

anyway, who is into Jdownloader. got some questions, been a while since i used it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by finyangson: 6:20am On Aug 26, 2011
Goodday sir, luv ubutu so much but since i upgrade it last month i cant play audio an Videos it requests me to install mp3 1-layer decoder and mp4 layer decoder .looked for the software everywhere can't find it. Wat should i do

my email. Finyangson@yahoo.com
08026711456 pls flash

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by finyangson: 6:22am On Aug 26, 2011
Goodday sir, luv ubutu so much but since i upgrade it last month i cant play audio an Videos it requests me to install mp3 1-layer decoder and mp4 layer decoder .looked for the software everywhere can't find it. Wat should i do,can't connect it to internet

my email. Finyangson@yahoo.com
08026711456 pls flash
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 3:31pm On Aug 26, 2011
^^^^
Run at terminal

1. sudo apt-get install update

2. sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

I think that would do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 1:05pm On Aug 29, 2011
Upgrading to Version 11.04

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 3:36pm On Aug 29, 2011
all4naija:

^^^^
Run at terminal

1. sudo apt-get install update

2. sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

I think that would do.
you forgot to mention that he needs an internet connection too wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:48am On Sep 01, 2011
please, who Knows how to get USB Gamepads to work on ubuntu?

im talking some crappy generic usb gamepad.

lsusb lists it as Dragonrise Inc,

so its detected.

there am stuck, im trying to get it detected for some windows games i surprisingly found to work in wine when they perform poorly on winxp on the same pc.

yup, stranger things happen. im suddenly discovering a lot of games i find difficult to run in windows because of VGA woes and ram are working quite well in WINE.

thing is im not even sure it will work for native ubuntu games, cos i dunno any game on ubuntu that uses the gamepad, all the ones i ever tried use the keyboard and mouse.

or maybe i should install windows drivers for it in WINE?

not really into this gaming thingy
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:49am On Sep 01, 2011
PS: dont mention jscalibrator, its a dead end and the links on the net are dead
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 12:57pm On Sep 01, 2011
lynxnoon:

you forgot to mention that he needs an internet connection too wink
You are right pal! But, never explained what kind of connection couldn't connect either. I think that's a half way solved problem.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 3:10pm On Sep 19, 2011
hi guys! been quite a while since i made an appearance on this thread. I'm currently running Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 1 n its looking good so far. I like the changes in Unity and can envisage a bright future for it. Screenshot below

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 6:05am On Oct 14, 2011
hey all, for the record ubuntu 11.10 has been released, we all know where to get that from don't we?
@4llerbe, haven't played too many games that require gamepads on linux, most of the few i have are console games that run on emulators - but i was able to play with a "ps2" gamepad (you know the 1k/1k5 one), heck i lent a friend the gsmepad and he uses it on his ps3 now
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 6:16am On Oct 14, 2011
@pete234 for a very long time now linux has had inbuilt audio drivers; of course there may be some proprietary hardware where it would be hard to get the drivers but most hardware i've encountered work out of the box. On the other hand if you're talking about the ability to play mp3s out of the box, know that is more of a licensing issue; in some countries it is not legal to play mp3s with "free/open" software, which is why it is not included by default. If you want a version of linux that has mp3 support out the box try mint linux

(1) (2) (3) ... (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.