Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,728 members, 7,805,989 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (93) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (463060 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:19am On Oct 14, 2011
Funny i was just looking for this thread and i see new posts

Anyway we have a new release, nothing fancy just incremental improvements.
Will download over the weekend, still dont believe in just updating to it.

I hear that kubuntu has a new package manager called muon and it seems nice. May be willing to give that thing one more try especially with that low fat settings thingy that helps reduce the footprint on lower systems.

I wonder if bigbrovar could remaster his desktop and up it somewhere for download, it would save a lot of time and pain to get it configured. Plus his tweaks for desktop looks could go a long way in convincing new chaps. So i u see this bigbrovar, consider it. I presume u are in tune with remastersys tho.

@weaver do u still use ubuntu? Thot u had gone on to anor distro o.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 4:41pm On Oct 14, 2011
I just updated my Ubuntu natty. It a bit makes my work faster this time around. Anybody with same observation?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:22pm On Oct 14, 2011
4llerbe u forget, i've always used multiple distros,
changes i've noticed: a 3.x kernel (i believe Linus Torvalds decided they'ed used the 2.x for too long and decided to change major release no); also no more classical interface (bah! At least they didn't go gnome3)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 2:06pm On Oct 15, 2011
So far, the only thing keeping me from installing Oneiric is the missing classic UI, I just cant get to loving unity, yet!

Should be up and running it come next weekend, I've got loads of work to do and cant risk any of my tools not functioning!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:54pm On Oct 15, 2011
^^^^
Excuse me! This Unity is overrated, I would rather do gnome than doing unity. It takes lot of your hard disk!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by netotse(m): 1:12am On Oct 16, 2011
hey pple. . .wassup?

I just uninstalled vista from my laptop so as of now, I am starting afresh with ubuntu 11.04. . .wish me luck!

annoying how you have to download every single thing though. . .

any tips for a newbie?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by n3rve(m): 1:34am On Oct 16, 2011
Netotse, newbie? LOL!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:58pm On Oct 16, 2011
@all4naija which gnome? 2 or 3? 'cos on my opinion gnome3 is just as annoying; worse right-clicking on the desktop doesn't even bring up a menu, but like you i seriously dislike the unity interface, might have to install xfce or gnome2 - that's why i installed it on my desktop where i seldom do work
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 2:10pm On Oct 16, 2011
@blackweaver

Yes! It is gnome 3xx . I am currently running Ubuntu 11.10 which is gnome 3.1.5 by default yet basically running as unity, they said. The other thing is that it needs a lot of graphic resources and my laptop has more than enough to offer. The login screen looks smart and many of the GUI icons have been replaced. The Software Center is ranged differently from the Natty, with an aesthetic look,etc .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 2:16pm On Oct 16, 2011
oh really? i didn't know that, no wonder we don't have the classic interface anymore. have you tried gnome3.x on any other distro? i tried the one that came with the most recent release of fedora and believe me, there are things i find really annoying there. it's all this tablet-ish interface thingy where you can almost not get anything done without a mouse
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 2:27pm On Oct 16, 2011
@blackweaver

No! I haven't. You mean fedora 16 beta?  Then if you found it disturbing why not reach up for the current releases of Ubuntu? There are lots for you to do in the command issuing areas - like the terminals, python IDLE or even using the repositories,etc. These  interesting parts of Linux  are still very much alive. One thing, the desktop setting is pretty cool!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 2:44pm On Oct 16, 2011
@all4naija
i actually meant Fedora 15 distro release (not beta); they were the first distro to bring out gnome3.x in a distribution release and men that thing was just a pain; had to get some 3rd party tool just to change font size (can't even remember if i succeeded in changing the wallpaper). Will start downloading my usual stuff once i setup my internet on oneric (for anyone who decides to use swift networks with the single-user usb data card, warning as at the last time i checked there was no linux driver for it, presently using a windows guest os in virtualbox as my gateway - talk about using a hammer to kill a fly)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 16, 2011
^^^
Oh! I never knew that! Most times they would require an update for some of these applications to function perfectly(I think what that third party tool just did). On a nutshell, it can be annoying when you are not getting what you want out of it.

Network connection has been one of the areas Windows seemed to be far reaching that Linux based OS. I can't imagine the headache one gets in finding it difficult to connect to a network after installation. Indeed, there are some parches out there which seem to work but they come with hurdles too. You been able to maneuver your way through the use of a third party software to establish a connect is one part of the reasons why Linux has always have its way in some areas.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 4:02pm On Oct 16, 2011
actually this one's worse than you think; problem's there's no driver for linux for the device,
went to the manufacturer's site, googled my eyes out; apparently the stingy people refused to release specifications of the device so the open source can't even write a driver for it in linux;
had already resigned myself to browsing only in windows (which would have been very inconvenient) when i realised i could just connect through a guest windows os but that means when no light my battery will drain faster
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 16, 2011
@blackweaver

Have you tried to convert the driver or using winetrick? There are actually going to be bugs but one thing is for sure you can correct them if you could find your way around.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 5:39pm On Oct 16, 2011
will that work? i actually thought of using ndiswrapper too but after searching
and not finding anyone who used such methods i decided to bust, although there
was one solution someone used that worked, something about someone having a
similar modem that came with support for linux and uploading the drivers online; problem
is would have to use an old kernel (2.6.28-xx i think) if i used only ubuntu and/or mint i
might try it but i use so many distros (slackware, pclinuxos, fedora, opensuse aming others)
and i may decide i want to work with some of the others for a while; would that mean i won't
be able to use them? at least this way i just create a virtualbox disk in a windows partition
and when i want to go online i just start my vm using the vboxdisk
(where i've already installed windows and can connect)

anyway thanks for the suggestion; i may still try it out later
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:51pm On Oct 17, 2011
hmmn there is life in this thread again.

@weaver, does ur windows guest see the modem when u enable usb? such that u can dial up in the vm and not network manager?
that never used to work for me o. my huawei modem works with network manager, but in a vm, it gets captured by the usb but does not work properly, the dashboard wont even detect a signal etc.

thot i was the only one wondering how ubuntu has gone thoroughly tablet ui crazy. radio buttons everywhere. explains why synaptic isnt default. a few more tweaks like not apps that cache in memory without closing and anor way of closing apps and we have a full blown tablet os.

worthy of note also is that JRE is no longer in the repos, so u either install openjdk or u manually install jre binary.

i upgraded my desktop at home. funny thing is it was fine, only issue is gnome-shell wont start. but im sure thats video card related though it runs unity 3d well.

going to put KDE on my office box dual boot and see how long it takes to aggravate me. its not bad, could be better. wish they would stop moving things so much, like the dash button. i was used to it being in the corner, now its part of the bar. the top bar is seemingly useless without a open application which of course is still global menu. confusion.

then again apps open in the background, new behavior. i would open a app, then wonder why it didnt open to the fore as per former behavior, only to find it running if i minimise the current app. takes some getting used to, hope after 6months it wont be changed again.

ubuntu sole boot with Wine and microxp in a VM running in seamless mode is the ulimate setup right now. thats my rig setup, and its great.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 2:15pm On Oct 17, 2011
blackweaver:

@all4naija which gnome? 2 or 3? 'cos on my opinion gnome3 is just as annoying; worse right-clicking on the desktop doesn't even bring up a menu, but like you i seriously dislike the unity interface, might have to install xfce or gnome2 - that's why i installed it on my desktop where i seldom do work

If you use gnome3 on Ubuntu11.10, you get your desktop icons and also the ability to get a context menu from the desktop.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 2:25pm On Oct 17, 2011
Tried out GNOME3 on Ubuntu 11.10 again today and surprisingly, I liked it , well, at least i didnt switch right away. I understand the need for some of the changes and the one's i don't understand, at least, i can get used to. There is no denying the fact that it is quite pretty though. Maybe even more so than unity. If this is necessary in a Desktop OS or not is not for me to decide. So, don't throw the baby out eith the bath water on GNOME3. Give it a chance and use it for a while. You just might end up liking it.

I should note at this point that I am back to Unity though. As much as I liked using GNOME3, Unity is better suited for me as I have used it for longer and am much more used to its workflow
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 2:53pm On Oct 17, 2011
@4ller, haven't used a 3g modem in a vm, but yes my swift usb modem internet works on my guest os. One thing you could try is to first disable mobile broadband in the network manager settings in ubuntu, perhaps you'll be able to connect in your guest windows then
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:05am On Oct 18, 2011
blackweaver:

@4ller, haven't used a 3g modem in a vm, but yes my swift usb modem internet works on my guest os. One thing you could try is to first disable mobile broadband in the network manager settings in ubuntu, perhaps you'll be able to connect in your guest windows then
sorry just saw this. . . yeah he's right 4ller
that was exactly what i did wen i tried the vm on ubuntu sometime back
give it a try, am sure it should work
cheers
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:08am On Oct 18, 2011
just dropped n ran 11.10 yesterday . . .yet to try out the gnome3, i hope its cool as u guys say cos right now i aint feeling this unity at all sad
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 3:25pm On Oct 18, 2011
^^^
Try and install the SMPlayer it is cool and I prefer it to VLC. I think it's one of the coolest players out there. Meanwhile, there are lots of software updates in the Ubuntu 11.10 Software Center. Just take your time and check through many of them. Welcome pal!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:07am On Oct 19, 2011
lynxnoon:

just dropped n ran 11.10 yesterday . . .yet to try out the gnome3, i hope its cool as u guys say cos right now i aint feeling this unity at all sad

dont think u will like gnome 3 either. its still too incomplete and featureless. it looks even far more simple and from what i gather u will have go add a loy of 3rd party repos to get things working even common indicators or changing wallpaper!

for unity, i just dont like the constant subtle changes, dash button moved to the unity bar instead of top bar, apps default into opening in "the background. well they make sense but im used to the old way so the change is confusing. its more stable than i thought it would be, even the pc i upgraded works fine. im sure it will be a hit on a tablet with a few more tweaks. u should try running it on a 40 inch screen. . .

also disccovered that xbmc now shows up as a login option even tho i had installed it as a app in ubuntu and not separately so i can now boot into xbmc straight. not bad, all in all
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:26am On Oct 19, 2011
4llerbuntu:

dont think u will like gnome 3 either. its still too incomplete and featureless. it looks even far more simple and from what i gather u will have go add a loy of 3rd party repos to get things working even common indicators or changing wallpaper!

for unity, i just dont like the constant subtle changes, dash button moved to the unity bar instead of top bar, apps default into opening in "the background. well they make sense but im used to the old way so the change is confusing. its more stable than i thought it would be, even the pc i upgraded works fine. im sure it will be a hit on a tablet with a few more tweaks. u should try running it on a 40 inch screen. . .

also disccovered that xbmc now shows up as a login option even tho i had installed it as a app in ubuntu and not separately so i can now boot into xbmc straight. not bad, all in all
abi?
at all at all; na him bad pass oh grin , , ,
will give it a shot n see how it goes undecided
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chxta(m): 9:32am On Oct 19, 2011
4llerbuntu:

Funny i was just looking for this thread and i see new posts

Anyway we have a new release, nothing fancy just incremental improvements.
Will download over the weekend, still dont believe in just updating to it.

I hear that kubuntu has a new package manager called muon and it seems nice. May be willing to give that thing one more try especially with that low fat settings thingy that helps reduce the footprint on lower systems.

I wonder if bigbrovar could remaster his desktop and up it somewhere for download, it would save a lot of time and pain to get it configured. Plus his tweaks for  desktop looks could go a long way in convincing new chaps.   So i u see this bigbrovar, consider it.   I presume u are in tune with remastersys tho.

@weaver do u still use ubuntu? Thot u had gone on to anor distro o.

Aesthetically it is quite pleasing I admit, but it doesn't work as well as it should yet. I found myself using konsole to do most of my installation. . .
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 10:34am On Oct 19, 2011
4llerbuntu:

for unity, i just dont like the constant subtle changes, dash button moved to the unity bar instead of top bar, apps default into opening in "the background.  well they make sense but im used to the old way so the change is confusing. its more stable than i thought it would be, even the pc i upgraded works fine.  im sure it will be a hit on a tablet with a few more tweaks.    u should try running it on a 40 inch screen. . .

also disccovered that xbmc now shows up as a login option even tho i had installed it as a app in ubuntu and not separately so i can now boot into xbmc straight. not bad,  all in all
I totally disagree with you regarding gnome 3, Ubuntu 11.10 being gnome 3.x.x by default is running as unity. All Linux are some ways incomplete. Featureless, that's not actually true and it has all the features you find in unity and even extra. Simple in what sense? Third party repositories are needed sometimes if your Synaptic Manager is not having such updates(Unity is the father of adds- to- repositories -so, let's not go there) and it's an avenue to make more educational quest rather than simple in that sense. Changing of wallpapers and common indicators requiring repositories is one of the few misinformation about Ubuntu 11.10 I have ever come across or heard about. Anyway, there are nothing like those you just made mentioned of in the latest gnome 3.x.x releases.

I therefore challenge you to try it, a trial will convince you. In my own case unity has never in any way impressed me to the very extent I have been fairly convinced of this gnome 3.x.x. It is a great improvement from the previous gnome 3 though.

Having said that, you need to move with what's new and let the old way be what it is. You need to learn the new improvement in the gnome or the latest releases in the unity. Oh! You use Ubuntu. What version would that be?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:24pm On Oct 19, 2011
in the first place i do not speak of what i dont have first hand experience over about linux.
so i find this your post very weird, and slightly belittling

all4naija:

I totally disagree with you regarding gnome 3, Ubuntu 11.10 being gnome 3.x.x by default is running as unity. All Linux are some ways incomplete. Featureless, that's not actually true and it has all the features you find in unity and even extra.

like what and what? do u even realise the gnome-shell desktop in ubuntu repos has already been modified? stock gnome-shell does not even have right click menu options

upon loading a gnome shell desktop what do u have? blue wallpaper and a top bar.
when u open apps, u do not have the option to minimise, it takes a double take to find out how to move between many open pages. it is not intuitive at all.

GNOME 3 and GNOME SHELL are not the same thing. just to be sure we are on the same page. i was talking about gnome shell to lynxnoon who im pretty damn sure know the difference between the two.

and FYI, GNOME SHELL lacks more features compared with unity. anyone who has used ubuntu for a while will instantly tell u that. and im pretty damn well sure i have done that for longer than u have

whether u like unity or not is another thing entirely

all4naija:

Simple in what sense? Third party repositories are needed sometimes if your Synaptic Manager is not having such updates(Unity is the father of adds- to- repositories -so, let's not go there) and it's an avenue to make more educational quest rather than simple in that sense. Changing of wallpapers and common indicators requiring repositories is one of the few misinformation about Ubuntu 11.10 I have ever come across or heard about. Anyway, there are nothing like those you just made mentioned of in the latest gnome 3.x.x releases.

i take this to mean u dont know what u are talking about.
i was not referring to applications for extended functionality, i am talking about normal core functions

how do u change the wallpaper (ubuntu already modded this anyway if u have another desktop installed), add a new shell theme, get your applications like pidgin to have and work with indicators when running gnome-shell?

what can u do with gnome-shell without gnome tweak which is available in the webupd8 ppa? or does your pidgin work with indicators in GNOME SHELL?

all4naija:

I therefore challenge you to try it, a trial will convince you. In my own case unity has never in any way impressed me to the very extent I have been fairly convinced of this gnome 3.x.x. It is a great improvement from the previous gnome 3 though.

Having said that, you need to move with what's new and let the old way be what it is. You need to learn the new improvement in the gnome or the latest releases in the unity. Oh! You use Ubuntu. What version would that be?

and this part i find purely amusing. i distinctly remember when u joined this community as a total green horn and now u are asking me to move with the times and which version im running? as in really? 5.04 embarassed embarassed embarassed

by the way, gnome 3 is actually the source of all the tablet centric UI farts in 11.10 its just as eyesore.

i do not engage in desktop wars, its silly. it still the same ubuntu so what is the point? whatever desktop u run is your choice and taste.

I WAS TALKING ABOUT GNOME SHELL AND NOT GNOME 3, there is a difference cos i see u keep saying gnome 3.xx

if u dont know this clearly, this convo is a nonstarter then.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:31pm On Oct 19, 2011
^^^^^^
Whatever, you said gnome 3 not gnome SHELL in your previous comment prior to what transpired of a poster installing Ubuntu 11.10. Please, I frown at your incessant rant of you knowing it all here and it doesn't make you better or whatsoever. Anyway, I called for it by responding to your suspicious explanations as if they mattered in the first place.

The gnome shell is just an application you use to switch between windows or to launch other applications - it usually found at your LOGIN area. It can be installed in Ubuntu 11.10 if you would and it doesn't actually hold you back from not using unity. For your information, Ubuntu 11.10 uses both and I don't understand what you are on about with you unhelpful explanations.

Not a big deal as you seemed to make it looks like here!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:42pm On Oct 19, 2011
all right all right stop your squabbling; we all know using ubuntu alone is not a good test of any software
(or at least i'd like to believe we all know), they usually do a lot of modifications so that a program - even
one as simple as the terminal on ubuntu might be a lot different from the vanilla version of the software.
Anyway to clarify this i think it would be a good idea to get another distro that uses gnome3.x (not ubuntu based)
and try it out to have an idea of how gnome3 is on another distro. I tend to agree with 4ller about not being able to right-click on the desktop at least i experienced that with fedora 15 but then again perhaps they used just gnome shell. Anyway opensuse12.1 is going to be released in 28 days time; traditionally i've used kde in opensuse but i think this time around ii'' go for gnome just to see how it is
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:03pm On Oct 19, 2011
^^^
weaver sup? nor mind this chap. i certainly do not like being lectured by nosy parkers.
my friend said he didn't like the new unity redesign, i expressed an opinion about how he probably wouldn't like shell too, seeing that shell and unity are essentially the same paradigms.

presto he starts giving us a free lecture on how much he know.

U gave up mandriva? my issue with these distros is having to learn radically different ethos. like i discovered this afternoon that i could not open a root dolphin folder with kdesu. as in i was looking at the thing like really? i googled and saw some really arcane instructions and some stuff about that not being possible on particular kernels bla bla bla.

i have remastered my gnome desktop and will remove the kde soon. its been an exercise in frustration. if i prolly started out on Kubuntu maybe i would love it, but for now gnome allows me work faster and better. opensuse comes highly recommended for kde, likewise simplymepis too

remember lighthouse pup grin grin grin grin

i am waiting for what the wiseasses at mint will do now. they have been badmouthing ubuntu when ironically they just mod ubuntu. now that ubuntu has moved to gnome 3, lets see them build their desktop on gnome 3 and lets see how good it will be
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:32pm On Oct 19, 2011
@blackweaver

I quite agree with you on that, 'using Ubuntu alone is not a good test of a software'[sic], vaguely stated though. To disagree with somebody opinions in a forum doesn't necessarily mean you are in a disturbing argument. Having said that, the dude seems to make a hill out of a mole in this regard, though, I quite share some of his views. Indeed, I would like the argument on a fair ground, not resorting to excuses which are obvious in previous comments. However, it all about the gnome 3 on Ubuntu dude and there is no excuse to that - that's the bone of contention here. I haven't tried it in other distributions or whatsoever. I am on in it for Ubuntu 11.10.

@ 4llerbuntu

Don't mind this chaps. Huh!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.