Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,162 members, 7,829,151 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

A Good Summary Of History From Beginning. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Good Summary Of History From Beginning. (875 Views)

full Summary Of Crisis Of Conscience By Former WT Gb Member Raymond Franz / A Summary Of God / When A Christian Backslides,does God Remember All The Whole Sins From Beginning? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Good Summary Of History From Beginning. by Affiliated(m): 11:23am On Jan 04, 2013
I came across a book by Kurt Vonnegut called Timequake and it has this passage. I think this is a very good summary of all that has ever happened even though He used a fictional tale in some parts to represent the actual thing. please read slowly if possible and use your dictionaries if necessary. Its a very fascinating read. Without further ado

1. “In the beginning, there was absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing. But with nothing implies something, just as up implies down and sweet implies sour, as man implies woman and drunk implies sober and happy implies sad. I hate to tell you this, friends and neighbors, but we are teensy-weensy implications in an enormous implication. If you don’t like it here, why don’t you go back to where you came from?

The first something to be implied by all the nothing, was in fact two somethings, who were God and Satan. God was male. Satan was female. They implied each other, and hence were peers in the emerging power structure, which was itself nothing but an implication. Power was implied by weakness.

God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was with out form, and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Satan could have done this herself, but she thought it was stupid, action for the sake of action. What was the point? She didn’t say anything at first.

But Satan began to worry about God when He said, ‘Let there be light’, and there was light. She had to wonder, ‘What in the heck does He think He’s doing? How far does He intend to go, and does He expect me to help Him take care of all this crazy stuff?’

And then the shit really hit the fan. God made man and woman, beautiful little miniatures of Him and her, and turned them loose to see what might become of them. The Garden of Eden, might be considered the prototype for the Colosseum and the Roman Games.

Satan couldn’t undo anything God had done. She could at least try to make existence for His little toys less painful. She could see what He couldn’t: To be alive was to be either bored or scared stiff. So she filled an apple with all sorts of ideas that might at least relieve the boredom, such as rule for games with cards and dice, and how to Bleep, and recipes for beer and wine and whiskey, and pictures of different plants that were smokable, and so on. And instructions on how to make music and sing and dance real crazy, real sexy. And how to spout blasphemey when they stubbed their toes.

Satan had a serpent give Eve the apple. Eve took a bite and handed it to Adam. He took a bite, and then they bleeped.

I grant you, that some of the ideas in the apple had catastrophic side effects for a minority of those who tried them.

All Satan wanted to do was help, and she did in many cases. And her record for promoting nostrums with occasionally dreadful side effects is no worse than that of the most reputable pharmaceutical houses of the present day.”

Kurt Vonnegut also had this to say about God and Humans

2. "In the beginning, God created the earth, and he looked upon it in His cosmic loneliness.

And God said, "Let Us make living creatures out of mud, so the mud can see what We have done." And God created every living creature that now moveth, and one was man. Mud as man alone could speak. God leaned close as mud as man sat up, looked around, and spoke. Man blinked. "What is the purpose of all this?" he asked politely.

"Everything must have a purpose?" asked God.

"Certainly," said man.

"Then I leave it to you to think of one for all this," said God.

And He went away." - Kurt Vonnegut.
Re: A Good Summary Of History From Beginning. by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jan 04, 2013
Your(his) point?
Re: A Good Summary Of History From Beginning. by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jan 04, 2013
I believe in the beginning there were many gods, not just god's wife. But something happened to the isrealites that made them cast away all the others, something catastrophic.
Re: A Good Summary Of History From Beginning. by Affiliated(m): 4:30pm On Jan 04, 2013
Reyginus: Your(his) point?

Nothing is actually real. There is really no God or Satan and yet there is God and Satan because its been implied just like everything else. The only reality is nothing and right now everything is an implied illusion
Re: A Good Summary Of History From Beginning. by Affiliated(m): 4:32pm On Jan 04, 2013
inurmind: I believe in the beginning there were many gods, not just god's wife. But something happened to the isrealites that made them cast away all the others, something catastrophic.

Quite possibly. But why must you concern yourself with the views of the Israelites about God? How about Ogun and Sango and the rest?
Re: A Good Summary Of History From Beginning. by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jan 04, 2013
Affiliated:

Quite possibly. But why must you concern yourself with the views of the Israelites about God? How about Ogun and Sango and the rest?

Thats a question you should be asking christians and muslims. Its their blind obsession with this god that makes me so interested, although I am also interested in our traditional deities.
Frankly I am intersted in all religions and cultures, their origins and evolution. One day I might even be a sort of antropologist.
Re: A Good Summary Of History From Beginning. by Affiliated(m): 6:17pm On Jan 04, 2013
inurmind:

Thats a question you should be asking christians and muslims. Its their blind obsession with this god that makes me so interested, although I am also interested in our traditional deities.
Frankly I am intersted in all religions and cultures, their origins and evolution. One day I might even be a sort of antropologist.

Lol. They have been trained up in the way they should grow and now that they are old, their mental strength isn't enough to break free. All the best with the anthropology idea.
Re: A Good Summary Of History From Beginning. by wiegraf: 6:46pm On Jan 04, 2013
inurmind: I believe in the beginning there were many gods, not just god's wife. But something happened to the isrealites that made them cast away all the others, something catastrophic.

It is thought by some that the one god was probably used by some priests trying to save their necks to explain one failure or the other. Presenting it as indisputably the most powerful being in the universe

"Why did we lose so and so battle despite sacrificing the goats? Are the gods unhappy? We did everything they asked you t.wat. We will skin you alive now"

"Wait! There is only one god silly. And of course he wouldn't let us lose unless it was his will. You're probably not tithing enough or something. Trust me, there are no other gods except yahweh so this must be his will" etc
Re: A Good Summary Of History From Beginning. by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jan 04, 2013
wiegraf:

It is thought by some that the one god was probably used by some priests trying to save their necks to explain one failure or the other. Presenting it as indisputably the most powerful being in the universe

"Why did we lose so and so battle despite sacrificing the goats? Are the gods unhappy? We did everything they asked you t.wat. We will skin you alive now"

"Wait! There is only one god silly. And of course he wouldn't let us lose unless it was his will. You're probably not tithing enough or something. Trust me, there are no other gods except yahweh so this must be his will" etc

If you study the book of genesis you will notice neither jesus, nor the holyspirit was ever mentioned, just god as a spirit, or rather ''gods'' as a spirit and one chief god, ''el''(notice the similarity to elshaddai, elohim, israEL, emannuEL). He was a canaanite god and many scholars believe isrealites were originally from cannaan, so they would definitely have taken their gods and culture.
But something happened to the isrealites that made them intentionally demean the status of the snake, the woman, and other gods.
Many people believe it was an invasion, but I believe there is more to the story.
Whatever happened must have caused some sort of cultural revolution.

(1) (Reply)

God Is Never Late, Always On Time! / A Short Story 2 / Technology Pushing Spirituality & Religion To Extinction?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.