Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,771 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately (26956 Views)

Have You Checked Your Microwave For Radiation Lately? / Money Given To A Wife By Her Husband Is Called What.. / Man Returns To Children He Abandoned For Eight Years (With Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by ferhyntorlah(f): 11:33pm On Jan 11, 2013
therese chizoba: I work in the bursary dept of a school and I marvel at the type of names I hear during registration.e.g costly,mybaby, shame,ability,resonance and Some very funny names I can't remember.don't really know wat goes on in some parents mind when naming their kids.

Shame?
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by BAMMZ(m): 10:31pm On Jan 13, 2013
It is well. . . .dats a name.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by agiboma(f): 10:49am On Jan 14, 2013
greatgod2012: As for naming children phrases, its already happening, a colleague of mine name his boy "the Lord answer me"....can you imagine? Later, i asked him, how he is really going to be calling d boy, he said, d short form of d name is "answer"....

lol
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by ayabunmi(f): 11:40am On Jan 14, 2013
BAMMZ: From native names e.g Bandele to religious names e.g. David and now to "positive cönfession/prophetic names like favor, destiny, miracle, great, testimony, etc. Sounds funny to me. Soon it will be phrases & sentences to show how positive we are like "it is wel,God is good, i wil make it,etc
We are taking everything to the extreme,civilisation & religion. We are gradualy phasing out those sweet native names like nkiruka, alake, ashake, Asabe, ndidi,etc. We are gradually killing our culture. Kai.

Imagine this scenerio;

Joy tell Happiness to give you the soap Peace bought from Divine. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by arabaribiti(m): 11:42am On Jan 14, 2013
have you jesuloluwa ( jesus is lord)
jesutofunmi ( jesus is enough for me)
jesusemilore and many more
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by kasbeats(m): 11:43am On Jan 14, 2013
no name is bad to give a kid......jes make sure u consider d kid b4 naming him/her......dont give him/her a name he/she would be too embarrassed to introduce himself as........
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by SBabaJ(m): 11:50am On Jan 14, 2013
A Girl In My Neighbourhood Goes By The Name 'Laughter'.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by DoubleDee2: 11:51am On Jan 14, 2013
ayabunmi:

Imagine this scenerio;

Joy tell Happiness to give you the soap Peace bought from Divine. grin

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by omenziate(m): 11:51am On Jan 14, 2013
Have a friend who bears Panadol as his name,tot it was a joke till I saw one of his notes. Panadol sometin. Another is Enchantment , I was like, does dis dude really know wat "enchantment" means.? He still dey bounce dey hail errbody wey greet am.

3 Likes

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by sylve11: 11:52am On Jan 14, 2013
therese chizoba: shame,.

Hey, the full version of that name is either shamefunmi or shameamaka, ok? cool
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Nobody: 11:55am On Jan 14, 2013
figur: Well my uncle named his kids Shepherd,Testimony,and Dance.it was funny initially but right now everyone is used to it.

Shepherd is not a bad name.
@OP: Why do you think those modern names are not good? Personally, If the name makes sense and carry a really good meaning then there is nothing wrong with it. I bear Augustus, (not a modern name) but where i live people still ask me what the name means! Short and meaningful name is cool. Either in traditional language or foreign language

1 Like

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Desdola(m): 12:06pm On Jan 14, 2013
Its now God-is-great, marvellous, and with emergence of GEJ as presisent, every Tom, Dick and Harry r naming their child Goodluck.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by touchmehard: 12:10pm On Jan 14, 2013
biolabee: ^^^ ol boi/gal

U like money all d names get eze cheesy cheesy
And what has EZE got to do with Money? EZE is King! Royalty!
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by CzarChris(m): 12:11pm On Jan 14, 2013
I honestly tought it was just me that noticed this new phenomena of names, I've seen a man that named his kids, wealth, prosperity, harvest and plentious. Just hoping the wife doesn't bring another to the world cos i can't imagine wat else he will name the kid.
As for me nothing beats a good igbo name like:
Odumegwu
Agumba
Mbadiwe
Mbakwe
Olaedo
Ezemba
Ojiugoeze
Chimamanda
Yeah, that's exactly what am going to call my kids when they start coming.

1 Like

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Bluediamond1(f): 12:14pm On Jan 14, 2013
Ellashow:

If your friend is Yoruba the "the Lord answer me" can simply be put "Oluwagbotemi" because have heard of that name before and for "the Apple of God's eyes" in Yoruba is "Ododo'luwa" that one is really common now, I know like 2 people who actually named their kids that
God bless u jare,u beat me 2 it.it even sounds better 2 d ears in d native sense.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Guchis(f): 12:16pm On Jan 14, 2013
Lol @ some names here. A distant cousin named her baby boy 'Momentum'. I mean who does that?!

I though I had heard it all until I visited my aunt in-law. Her neighbour's kids are named Enthronment and Endowment. You go fear names
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Parisfran(f): 12:18pm On Jan 14, 2013
My younger Bro had Prayer and Praise as classmates, the kids were twin. The girl was Praise and the Boy prayer. One day i think their dad forgot to pick them up on time and and the teacher was like 'oya Prayer, Praise, better start Praying and Praising God so your father will come'. I just had to Laugh, but come to think of this there are just 10 and is that how they will be teased for the rest of thier life? Parents should please give children names they will be proud of.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by kaywiluv(f): 12:23pm On Jan 14, 2013
adeaugustus:

@OP: Why do you think those modern names are not good? Personally, If the name makes sense and carry a really good meaning then there is nothing wrong with it. I bear Augustus, (not a modern name) but where i live people still ask me what the name means! Short and meaningful name is cool. Either in traditional language or foreign language
Augustus is a cool name cos dats my elder brothers name, I see u dnt like d name cos dey ask u meaning of ur name. Hmmmm too bad.
I knw u wld also name u children d things u cant acquire. LOL cheesy
adeaugustus:

Augustus is a cool name cos dats my elder brothers name, I see u dnt like d name cos dey ask u meaning of ur name. Hmmmm too bad.
I knw u wld also name u children d things u cant acquire. LOL

1 Like

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by honeric01(m): 12:30pm On Jan 14, 2013
Some of my niece/nephew's names:

Praise
Jasper
Phoebe
Integrity
Special
Purity

embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

Thank God i am never going to join them. "weird" grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Costa2000(m): 12:34pm On Jan 14, 2013
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by deesnipes(f): 12:36pm On Jan 14, 2013
Recently heard this; distinction and success. Just because the man has a local nursery schoolso he decided to name his sons that. People call d mum ' mummy distin'
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Costa2000(m): 12:38pm On Jan 14, 2013
deesnipes: Recently heard this; distinction and success. Just because the man has a local nursery schoolso he decided to name his sons that. People call d mum ' mummy distin'
lol mummy distin, hahahaha i cant stop laughing.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Lakayana: 12:46pm On Jan 14, 2013
I have this brother in my church his name is bro merciful and the wife sis mercy when they were doing their wedding announcement it was laughter all the way to crown it all bro merciful was living on salvation street. I tell you this is not joke I witnessed it.

1 Like

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Agrika: 12:48pm On Jan 14, 2013
There is no native name that trips me like "Lotanna" and "Mmasinachi" my daughter(s) must bear one these names
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Guchis(f): 12:49pm On Jan 14, 2013
Agrika: There is no native name that trips me like "Lotanna" and "Mmasinachi" my daughter(s) must bear one these names

I particularly love Lotanna
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Agrika: 12:53pm On Jan 14, 2013
Yeah d name is meaniful and got swag
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jan 14, 2013
honeric01: Some of my niece/nephew's names:

Praise
Jasper
Phoebe
Integrity
Special
Purity

embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

Thank God i am never going to join them. "weird" grin grin grin grin grin

I like Phoebe, I don't think it's weird...but the rest sha sad sad sad
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jan 14, 2013
Agrika: There is no native name that trips me like "Lotanna" and "Mmasinachi" my daughter(s) must bear one these names
Guchis:

I particularly love Lotanna
I know, right? One of my kids will bear Lotanna for sure.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by dammytex: 1:04pm On Jan 14, 2013
You sef imagine this;

1st born: Nitori-iteoluwakiisilailai (short form: kiishi)
2nd born: Oluwafigbaye-eminikan (short form: figba)
3rd born: Oluwatamiloreatata (short form: tamilore)

Abeg how dem wan't take write JAMB. The character spacing on the form no go reach naaa. And surname never dey ooo...
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by honeric01(m): 1:04pm On Jan 14, 2013
ItsModella:
I like Phoebe, I don't think it's weird...but the rest sha sad sad sad

To me, it's weird because i am yet to see westerner, Arabs, Asians bearing African names.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by honeric01(m): 1:06pm On Jan 14, 2013
dammytex: You sef imagine this;

1st born: Nitori-iteoluwakiisilailai (short form: kiishi)
2nd born: Oluwafigbaye-eminikan (short form: figba)
3rd born: Oluwatamiloreatata (short form: tamilore)

Abeg how dem wan't take write JAMB. The character spacing on the form no go reach naaa.

And what's wrong with these names? great interpretations/meanings.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Samelle(f): 1:08pm On Jan 14, 2013
A neighbour told me her last kid's name is "Settled". Asked her why, i was told it's because he's the last. It's short for "It is Settled".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Marry and Grow In Love Or Marry The Person You Love, Which One Is Better? / How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? / Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.