Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,457 members, 7,812,404 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:49 PM

Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately (26947 Views)

Have You Checked Your Microwave For Radiation Lately? / Money Given To A Wife By Her Husband Is Called What.. / Man Returns To Children He Abandoned For Eight Years (With Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by BAMMZ(m): 4:27pm On Jan 05, 2013
From native names e.g Bandele to religious names e.g. David and now to "positive cönfession/prophetic names like favor, destiny, miracle, great, testimony, etc. Sounds funny to me. Soon it will be phrases & sentences to show how positive we are like "it is wel,God is good, i wil make it,etc
We are taking everything to the extreme,civilisation & religion. We are gradualy phasing out those sweet native names like nkiruka, alake, ashake, Asabe, ndidi,etc. We are gradually killing our culture. Kai.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by BAMMZ(m): 4:42pm On Jan 05, 2013
Its interesting to ñote that our local languages have provisions for these "prophetic/positive-confession" names. We have powerful names like Olamide,IBUKUN(blessing),GODIYA(thanksgiving), haske(light) ETC. And besides the englishised names will beta in our local tonges.. . Abi?

5 Likes

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by greatgod2012(f): 8:13pm On Jan 05, 2013
As for me, i love d native names die, i cant imagine myself calling my kids all those english names, and thank God, i marry someone who share d same opinion with me in this regard.

As for naming children phrases, its already happening, a colleague of mine name his boy "the Lord answer me"....can you imagine? Later, i asked him, how he is really going to be calling d boy, he said, d short form of d name is "answer"....

There is also a friend who called her daughter...."Apple of God's eyes".......can you imagine this also, talking about culture against religion and religion against culture.

Well, to each his/her own, the most important thing, regardless of names given to them is dt God should please spare these children for us and may our labour on them not be in vain.....amen.

14 Likes

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Winneygirl(f): 9:12pm On Jan 05, 2013
greatgod2012: As for me, i love d native names die, i cant imagine myself calling my kids all those english names, and thank God, i marry someone who share d same opinion with me in this regard.

As for naming children phrases, its already happening, a colleague of mine name his boy "the Lord answer me"....can you imagine? Later, i asked him, how he is really going to be calling d boy, he said, d short form of d name is "answer"....

There is also a friend who called her daughter...."Apple of God's eyes".......can you imagine this also, talking about culture against religion and religion against culture.

Well, to each his/her own, the most important thing, regardless of names given to them is dt God should please spare these children for us and may our labour on them not be in vain.....amen.

So assuming d surname is Olutade, d child's full name will be...
'The Lord answer me Olutade'
or 'Apple of God's eyes Olutade'.

While we appreciate d meaning and intention behind d names we give children, let's be mindful of giving children names dat wud be embarassing 2 them.
If 'Answer' is asked his name and he tells them 'the lord answer me', wud he ever be taken seriously, or wud pple ever stop making fun of his name??

The name might have sounded beta in any native language.

6 Likes

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by CrazyMan(m): 10:41pm On Jan 05, 2013
It annoys me when I see the rate at which most Nigerians are dropping their roots for western the culture....Why must we keep ridiculing ourselves...even the western world whose culture we've adopted at the expense of ours don't bear such silly names.

Why would I be an Igbo or yoruba man, and name my child it is well, God is good, I will make it...when they have direct translations in my native tounge.

It is well in igbo language means ogadinma (a lot of people bear it)

God is good means Chidinma (another popular name)

I will make it has no direct translation but you can always go for Chiagoizem which means God has blessed me.

I love my culture and by God's grace, when I eventually get married, all my kids would bear traditional names.

greatgod2012: As for me, i love d native names die, i cant imagine myself calling my kids all those english names,
Same here.

Winneygirl: So assuming d surname is Olutade, d child's full name will be...

While we appreciate d meaning and intention behind d names we give children, let's be mindful of giving children names dat wud be embarassing 2 them.
If 'Answer' is asked his name and he tells them 'the lord answer me', wud he ever be taken seriously, or wud pple ever stop making fun of his name??

Seconded!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by greatgod2012(f): 4:14am On Jan 06, 2013
Winneygirl:

So assuming d surname is Olutade, d child's full name will be...

yes, o.....imagine, that "the Lord answer me" in yoruba is "oluwadamilohun", which has more meaning and weighty than d english version. Hhhhmmm, na dem sabi, as for me sha, na yoruba names all d way.....ade......., olu........., ola........, ope.....etc.

4 Likes

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by pedestal82(m): 6:10am On Jan 06, 2013
Its just crazy, hv also seen "Wonder" as childs Name. I began to wonder! Hv told my soon to be wife, my kids are gonna bear native names not all these favour, wonder nonsense.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by BAMMZ(m): 7:28am On Jan 06, 2013
I really think parents should get more enlightened here, mostly by our churches. And it will interest you to note the category of people doing this naming thing, mostly the rich dont do that,maybe cos they have a mind of their own!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Ellashow: 6:26pm On Jan 06, 2013
greatgod2012: As for me, i love d native names die, i cant imagine myself calling my kids all those english names, and thank God, i marry someone who share d same opinion with me in this regard.

If your friend is Yoruba the "the Lord answer me" can simply be put "Oluwagbotemi" because have heard of that name before and for "the Apple of God's eyes" in Yoruba is "Ododo'luwa" that one is really common now, I know like 2 people who actually named their kids that
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Sammiejo: 3:41pm On Jan 07, 2013
Have you considered that these parents may have just translated the native names to english
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by touchmehard: 5:08pm On Jan 07, 2013
Most of those funny names could have sounded better in native languages.

As for me, I'm giving my kids ROYAL names all the way:

Chimeremeze,
Chibueze,
Ezekwesili,
Okwesilieze,
Ojiugoeze.

10 Likes

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by biolabee(m): 5:57pm On Jan 07, 2013
^^^ ol boi/gal

U like money all d names get eze cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by BAMMZ(m): 5:59pm On Jan 07, 2013
Sammiejo: Have you considered that these parents may have just translated the native names to english
Why?
Is it that the child will turn oyibo or for people to recognise the authenticity of the child? Why? Why? Why?
I can imagine my name translated to English: "Bamidele- follow me home". Then people will call me "follow" cos that sounds more religious. Bullshiiit!

7 Likes

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Gambrosia: 6:59pm On Jan 07, 2013
What is in a name? undecided
The Nigerian culture or lack thereof is gonna die off. . .REGARDLESS! kiss

3 Likes

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jan 07, 2013
U av neva heard of the triplets named miracle, signs and wonders.
The worst i know though is harvesttime. Try and translate that into a nigerian language
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by blank(f): 11:37am On Jan 08, 2013
Naijaphil: U av neva heard of the triplets named miracle, signs and wonders.
The worst i know though is harvesttime. Try and translate that into a nigerian language

Now, that was really funny.

3 Likes

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Andybaby: 4:02pm On Jan 08, 2013
what of Callistus, Juvenus, Philomenum,
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by BAMMZ(m): 8:36pm On Jan 09, 2013
Andy-baby:
Old school names. We're talking of the new school names like Miracle signs and wonders.

4 Likes

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by BAMMZ(m): 8:47pm On Jan 09, 2013
Andy-baby:
Old school names.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by figur: 7:09pm On Jan 10, 2013
Well my uncle named his kids Shepherd,Testimony,and Dance.it was funny initially but right now everyone is used to it.

1 Like

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by adim2(m): 10:23pm On Jan 10, 2013
Funny enough people have started naming their children after football clubs. You hear names like chelsea, manchester, arsenal, derby, liverpool. Chei
As for me it is local name all the way.

1 Like

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by othenok(f): 11:15pm On Jan 10, 2013
I love local names. Just last week i heard a lady call her son "Good Speed" it was hilarious. Sad my people are slowly losing their roots undecided

3 Likes

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by greatgod2012(f): 1:58am On Jan 11, 2013
figur: Well my uncle named his kids Shepherd,Testimony,and Dance.it was funny initially but right now everyone is used to it.

shepherd?
Dance?
Tell me its a lie!
What are our pple turning into, because of religion, even d oyinbs who brought this religion to us are not this biased!
Smh......
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Nobody: 5:56am On Jan 11, 2013
figur: Well my uncle named his kids Shepherd,Testimony,and Dance.it was funny initially but right now everyone is used to it.

Gerrout of hia my friend! You cant be serious. cheesy

What do you call the first one for short? Shep?

1 Like

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by slimyem: 6:08am On Jan 11, 2013
Now,this is the height of it..
Was thinking my aunt's were.
Her children's name are "God is able" and "Possible"undecided
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by greatgod2012(f): 8:15am On Jan 11, 2013
slimyem: Now,this is the height of it..
Was thinking my aunt's were.
Her children's name are "God is able" and "Possible"undecided

God is able?
Possible?
Pls, tell me you are joking!
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by figur: 8:50am On Jan 11, 2013
And yes it's shep for short,his wife is going to have another baby soon,and we are waiting patiently to hear the name he will choose this time.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by slimyem: 8:56am On Jan 11, 2013
greatgod2012:

God is able?
Possible?
Pls, tell me you are joking!
No,i'm not!undecided
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by greatgod2012(f): 10:07am On Jan 11, 2013
figur: And yes it's shep for short,his wife is going to have another baby soon,and we are waiting patiently to hear the name he will choose this time.

may be "prophet or evangelist"

there is a family living in ur street, whose their two boys bear these names....real names o, not nickname.....d elder.......prophet while d younger is evangelist. Many(including me) do think they are nicknames, until i saw d names on their notebok, while i was there to see d family on an issue.......so funny!
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Rotmyt: 10:39am On Jan 11, 2013
Would your daughter be proud to be "thankful" or your son "praise God" when they begin school? this is one of the reasons children re-name themselves either in secondary school or in the university and become Cindy,Tamika or Adrian grin cheesy
Nowadays,parents consult Websters dictionary when naming their kids.Nouns have been replaced with adjectives cry.

6 Likes

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by theresechizoba(f): 6:51pm On Jan 11, 2013
I work in the bursary dept of a school and I marvel at the type of names I hear during registration.e.g costly,mybaby,shame,ability,resonance and Some very funny names I can't remember.don't really know wat goes on in some parents mind when naming their kids.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by ferhyntorlah(f): 11:28pm On Jan 11, 2013
figur: And yes it's shep for short,his wife is going to have another baby soon,and we are waiting patiently to hear the name he will choose this time.

Let me guess? Praise, Happiness, Laughter.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Don’t Talk With My Neighbors. What To Do / Advice : I Care For My Wife But Love Another Woman / Why Do People Have A Problem With You Once You Start Living Good?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.