Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,327 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:51 AM

How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? (6362 Views)

White Students Of Yoruba Language At Wisconsin University (Photo) / Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? / Do You Speak Yoruba? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by passion007: 6:29pm On Jan 14, 2013
Chelcy10:
nwanne ana emekwa?
Nnaa, nsogbu adiro. I have three friends from Mgbowo...nice place, nice people.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by samkoro: 6:30pm On Jan 14, 2013
Afam4eva: I speak Igbo only to my Mum and to my relatives from Enugu. But i speak English to my siblings.

To siblings?Its a shame.

I'm proficient in Igbo and English language.I want my kids to be like that. Igbo at home,English at school.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by BarryX(m): 6:48pm On Jan 14, 2013
Speaks my Language (Isoko) when with family and friends, which is less than an hour day of my regular day , The rest time is spent "blowing" some French, ubiquitous Warri pidgin and slamming Queens English to the best of my ability**winks**
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by pat077: 6:52pm On Jan 14, 2013
Afam4eva:
If someone from Abakaliki speaks his dialect, will you understand? Will we now say that Abakaliki is different from Igbos?
for d Abakaliki's dats their dialect not their language. Igbo is not Kwale's language and they don't speak it.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by hopeuba(f): 7:05pm On Jan 14, 2013
frequently, i barely speak english when communicating at home
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by Afam4eva(m): 7:07pm On Jan 14, 2013
pat077: for d Abakaliki's dats their dialect not their language. Igbo is not Kwale's language and they don't speak it.
So, Abakaliki is a dialect but Kwale is not? Can you tell us the difference between a language and a dialect? Mind you, not all parts of the so-called Delta-Igbo speak the same dialect or language like you want to call it.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by modestdude(m): 10:04pm On Jan 14, 2013
Abum odenigbo, osunigbo, na ogunigbo (writes igbo, speaks igbo and reads igbo). We speak igbo at home and i don't mean engligbo. So whenever i have my own kids am not gonna teach them english by speaking it to them. They should learn it in school and never to speak it at home unless with a visitor (seldomly)

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by Wordsmith(m): 10:25pm On Jan 14, 2013
The lingua franca at home is Yoruba. Outside the home, it's English and Pidgin. lol, even morning devotion growing up was in Yoruba, Hymnals sung were in Yoruba, devotional reading was in Yoruba and prayers as well.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by StarFlux: 11:34pm On Jan 14, 2013
modestdude: Abum odenigbo, osunigbo, na ogunigbo (writes igbo, speaks igbo and reads igbo). We speak igbo at home and i don't mean engligbo. So whenever i have my own kids am not gonna teach them english by speaking it to them. They should learn it in school and never to speak it at home unless with a visitor (seldomly)
This is the kind of attitude attitude Africa needs. When I get kids, I will most likely be teaching them Yoruba, even though it's not my native tongue, which they will learn anyway. A language is one of the best gifts you can give a child.

Never got to learn my father's language, so I will not do the same whenever I get kids.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by Afam4eva(m): 11:38pm On Jan 14, 2013
StarFlux: This is the kind of attitude attitude Africa needs. When I get kids, I will most likely be teaching them Yoruba, even though it's not my native tongue, which they will learn anyway. A language is one of the best gifts you can give a child.
I've really been fascinated at your knack for the Yoruba language despite not being a native. Have you even made any effort to learn your own language? And don't you think your kids deserve the right to learn their own language? Not that there's anything wrong with teaching them Yoruba but shouldn't that be after teaching them their own language?
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by seunny4lif(m): 11:58pm On Jan 14, 2013
ME NA YORUBA AT HOME 24/7 AND ENGLISH FOR OUTSIDE....I HAVE A FRIEND,WHEN EVER THEIR DAD IS AROUND,OH BOY NA ENGLISH BY FORCE BECOS IF U SPEAK YORUBA NA PROBLEM BE THAT..BUT AFTER THEY ALL WENT TO USA IN 2006,HE WAS TALKING TO ME ON THE PHONE WITH YORUBA AND I DEY HEAR HIM SISTER VOICE FOR BACKGROUND SPEAKING YORUBA INSIDE THE HOUSE,AND I WAS LIKE GUY,WETIN DEY HAPPEN?UR SIS DEY SPEAK YORUBA INSIDE HOUSE AND HE SAID,GUY LEVEL DON CHANGE OOO,NO ENGLISH IN THIS HOUSE UNLESS U WAN PACK COMOT FOR THE HOUSE....YORUBA FOR HOUSE AND ENGLISH FOR OUTSIDE.....
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by passion007: 12:04am On Jan 15, 2013
My 4 brothers and I only speak English when attempting to impress a woman. grin grin grin
Heck, my youngest brother even speaks through gritted teeth like an Americana. grin
Otherwise, we be wawa boyz (BTW, its not derogatory when I say it)
...'Utoasusu Igbo'
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by Afam4eva(m): 12:06am On Jan 15, 2013
passion007: My 4 brothers and I only speak English when attempting to impress a woman. grin grin grin
Heck, my youngest brother even speaks through gritted teeth like an Americana. grin
Otherwise, we be wawa boyz (BTW, its not derogatory when I say it)
...'Utoasusu Igbo'
What part of Enugu are you from?
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by passion007: 12:13am On Jan 15, 2013
Afam4eva:
What part of Enugu are you from?
Ikem, IsiUzo LGA. Where are you from?
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by Afam4eva(m): 12:15am On Jan 15, 2013
passion007: Ikem, IsiUzo LGA. Where are you from?
Ok
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by StarFlux: 12:21am On Jan 15, 2013
Re
Afam4eva:
I've really been fascinated at your knack for the Yoruba language despite not being a native. Have you even made any effort to learn your own language? And don't you think your kids deserve the right to learn their own language? Not that there's anything wrong with teaching them Yoruba but shouldn't that be after teaching them their own language?
I said: "which they will learn anyway".

I like Yoruba, and a part of my family speaks it too. Though mostly as a secondary language.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by rume(m): 2:36am On Jan 15, 2013
Answering question: With regard to speaking, almost never, or actually, never.

English is my first language and I also frequently refer to it as my "native language". I know many Nigerians would throw stones at me because of this. My siblings do that all the time. sad #bringontheridicule
Though I was never really in the habit of speaking any native Nigerian language, I seem to lose more knowledge of Nigerian languages daily. sad Hah, I don't even speak pidgin. Nonetheless, I always argued that it was/is a language! Quite a few Nigerians I've come across seem to disagree

I usually only go as far as greeting my dad, mum, uncles and aunts in native Nigerian languages.
All my siblings speak pidgin when chatting amongst themselves. ...but they usually revert to English when they talk to me.
That said, I (occasionally?) listen to and sing songs in different languages.

I don't can gradually become I can't depending on your surrounding, situation etc.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by Diamaten(f): 6:25am On Jan 15, 2013
Yes i speak my language with my parents...but english with my kid bro cos he doesnt speak our language...
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by chellsee: 6:52pm On Jan 15, 2013
@Diamaten Notin stops you from speaking d language to ur broda. He understands, jst that he cannot speak. And u would never encourage him to speak if u don't speak to him.

Anyways, for me. It's English. I don't believe I've ever heard my father speak his language to us(Urhobo). And I'm like, how do u expect me to understand talk more of speaking d language.

My mum is d same too. She speaks Kwale only after you have harrassed her . And the next minute she reverts back to English. So, it's English for me.

Well, I've lived all my life in Lagos. Making efforts to learn the yoruba language now.My boyfie's yoruba. wink
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by rume(m): 9:57pm On Jan 15, 2013
chellsee: @Diamaten Notin stops you from speaking d language to ur broda. He understands, jst that he cannot speak. And u would never encourage him to speak if u don't speak to him.

Anyways, for me. It's English. I don't believe I've ever heard my father speak his language to us(Urhobo). And I'm like, how do u expect me to understand talk more of speaking d language.

My mum is d same too. She speaks Kwale only after you have harrassed her . And the next minute she reverts back to English. So, it's English for me.

Well, I've lived all my life in Lagos. Making efforts to learn the yoruba language now.My boyfie's yoruba. wink

So, is it safe to call your dad a fake urhobo(*or insert whatever ethnic group*) man? tongue
I say stuff like that about my dad, hehehe smiley
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by chellsee: 11:33am On Jan 16, 2013
@Rume: My dad only, only speaks d language to his snr brother. If any other family member (cousin, niece, nephew, etc) speaks d language to him, he'd reply them in English.

Even me sef don tire for d guy. If u say, daddy please speak language to us. He won't even answer u sef.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by StarFlux: 6:29pm On Jan 16, 2013
chellsee: @Rume: My dad only, only speaks d language to his snr brother. If any other family member (cousin, niece, nephew, etc) speaks d language to him, he'd reply them in English.

Even me sef don tire for d guy. If u say, daddy please speak language to us. He won't even answer u sef.
What a shame.

I wonder what causes people to stop using their own language.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See One Yoruba Word That Has several Meanings / Homosexualism In Nigeria / How Often Do You Go To Your Village

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.