Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,293 members, 7,811,881 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:06 PM

How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? (6361 Views)

White Students Of Yoruba Language At Wisconsin University (Photo) / Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? / Do You Speak Yoruba? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by passion007: 2:19pm On Jan 14, 2013
Afam4eva:
How many times have you heard someone saying Nsukka Igbo or Abakaliki Igbo? if you ask someone from Enugu what tribe he is from. He'll tell you Igbo. But ask someone from Asaba and he'll most likely tell you Delta Igbo. Though there are exceptions to the rule.
OK, we're talking about different things...I'm talking about language, while you are talking about ethnicity.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by naja2: 2:19pm On Jan 14, 2013
I speak yoruba with my wife all the time, we only quarell/ argue in english. I feel bad that i cant speak my native dialet properly though. I lived in the UK for three years and i noticed how Nigerian parents pride themselves in the fact that their children cant speak or even understand their native language, whereas the indian, chinese, pakistani children always speak
their native languages fluently. The more english you speak does not make the white man like u.

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by Afam4eva(m): 2:20pm On Jan 14, 2013
naja2: I speak yoruba with my wife all the time, we only quarell/ argue in english. I feel bad that i cant speak my native dialet properly though. I lived in the UK for three years and i noticed how Nigerian parents pride themselves in the fact that their children cant speak or even understand their native language, whereas the indian, chinese, pakistani children always speak
their native languages fluently. The more english you speak does not make the white man like u.

What part of Nigeria are you from?
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by passion007: 2:22pm On Jan 14, 2013
Chelcy10: In my home, our local dialet is d medium of communication, we have been so used to it that we can not speak the general igbo fluently. Am frm Mgbowo in Awgu, Enugu state. I only speak English or Hausa when am talking 2 someone who is not my family member.
Hmmm...Woke aki na ukwa junction...lol.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by sagytariusTM1: 2:26pm On Jan 14, 2013
berem: ana m asukwa asusu m n'ulo m.o buru na asughi m asusu igbo,gini ka m ga asu?
Why were they calling you calabar girl?
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by sagytariusTM1: 2:28pm On Jan 14, 2013
I just hid this post.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by Braimoh100(m): 2:30pm On Jan 14, 2013
We can't even speak our language fluently except my mum and dad.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by bigfrancis21: 2:40pm On Jan 14, 2013
We speak English a little more than Igbo. I and my siblings were born in port-harcourt. We were raised with English. I grabbed my basic initial understanding of Igbo from my parents each time they discussed. Then when I was in primary 2, we relocated to owerri where I completed primary and secondary school. This period increased my understanding of Igbo greatly but my speaking was minimal. The owerri dialect I heard outside differed greatly from the anambra Igbo I heard at home. I had a lil' hard time deciphering what was being said initially. But by the time I got to senior secondary, my writing and understanding of Igbo became superb. Smashed an A1 in Igbo in WAEC. As we grew my mom stopped speaking English and only spoke Igbo to us but my dad still spoke English only speaking Igbo each time he was angry. Loll.
I started speaking Igbo with my friends when I got into the university. I used this period to develop and hone my speaking skills. Anambra Igbo all the way. Right now I'm fluent at speaking Igbo.
Anambra: I lisia nni gi I rapulu m efele ka m sasia fa, okwia?
Owerri: O ji awu nwa'akiri toma ya ri ya ka o gi ivu uwa n'ishi. (It usually is, if a child grows he feels he gon' carry the world on its head).

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jan 14, 2013
Afam4eva:
Which one is Kwara Yoruba again? The one spoken in Ilorin or Offa?
We both add 'fa' to our sentences, but unlike Ilorin, we don't call head 'eri', rather 'ori', which is what the mainstream Yoruba people call it.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by tayooluwole: 2:51pm On Jan 14, 2013
i speak yoruba(ijesa dialet) at home...i speak yoruba nd english in skul depending on who i am talking to...
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jan 14, 2013
Jarus:
We both add 'fa' to our sentences, but unlike Ilorin, we don't call head 'eri', rather 'ori', which is what the mainstream Yoruba people call it.

Every Yoruba state has its Yoruba dialect. Stop this nonsense. Yoruba is still Yoruba.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jan 14, 2013
You earned my respect tho. Referring to the politic section drama.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by pat077: 3:02pm On Jan 14, 2013
Afam4eva:
It's annoying right? That's how annoying i find people saying Delta Igbo instead of just Igbo. By saying kwara Yoruba, they're kind of estranging themselves from mainstream Yoruba or creating a different identity for themselves.
is Delta igbo not a-bit different 4rm igbo?
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by kennykool4u: 3:08pm On Jan 14, 2013
everytime....without ceasing unless the issue is serious....
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by serialeco(m): 3:27pm On Jan 14, 2013
70:30 english:yoruba
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by Afam4eva(m): 3:31pm On Jan 14, 2013
pat077: is Delta igbo not a-bit different 4rm igbo?
Can you explain how?
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by Afam4eva(m): 3:35pm On Jan 14, 2013
Jarus:
I'm sure Ibadan and Ijebu people have a different word for a particular word that's different from mainstream Yoruba. You have to understand that no two Yoruba dialects are the same. The term 'Ori' is the word for "head" in mainstream Yoruba and not necessarily on all the dialects that make the Yoruba language cluster. So, i really don't see the need in emphasizing Kwara Yoruba, Oyo Yoruba, Ekiti Yoruba etc. If it is Yoruba then it is Yoruba. If it's not then it's not.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by Ilaje44(m): 3:39pm On Jan 14, 2013
Jarus:

Mainstream boo? Aburo, awon wo ni mainstream fa? Awa Ilaje fun apeere, a kii pe ori ni "eri" tabi "ori". ORIGHO la npe ori l'ede tia fa. Sibesibe, mainstream iran omo Olufe ni wa fa.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jan 14, 2013
@Afam 1st language is English, meaning i speak English more fluently than any other language.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by Afam4eva(m): 4:04pm On Jan 14, 2013
INNO18: @Afam 1st language is English, meaning i speak English more fluently than any other language.
ohh ok.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by Anvaller: 4:06pm On Jan 14, 2013
I appreciate all of u guys for taking this thread this far without tribal bashing... its almost unbelievable but that's a good one.

To the topic, let's all start to learn to speak our local Languages, Your ability to speak ur local language does not in any way affect ur ability to speak English. Most non english speaking Europeans speak English without consequence to their local languages..
So the question is why? Well the reason they speak English is strictly in order to communicate internationally not because they think English is better than their own language so u would never see any of them I repeat, any of them speaking English to their own folks even when all of them speak good English.

Most Nigerians speaking more English and little or nothing of their local language do this because they are not proud of their local language and the question again is Why? Well.. this time around I just don't know.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jan 14, 2013
passion007: Hmmm...Woke aki na ukwa junction...lol.

nwanne ana emekwa?
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by harlos: 4:25pm On Jan 14, 2013
Chelcy10:
nwanne ana emekwa?
op did not ask u to show us how much u know how to speak your language,
jst tell us how often u speak...otan
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by pat077: 4:56pm On Jan 14, 2013
Afam4eva:
Can you explain how?
alright, if some1 4rm agbor or kwale speaks will u understand what he or she is sayin?
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by ucheheart(m): 5:06pm On Jan 14, 2013
Very often especially with my parents.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by Afam4eva(m): 5:14pm On Jan 14, 2013
pat077: alright, if some1 4rm agbor or kwale speaks will u understand what he or she is sayin?
If someone from Abakaliki speaks his dialect, will you understand? Will we now say that Abakaliki is different from Igbos?
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by onuwaje(m): 5:21pm On Jan 14, 2013
I am very slow wen it comes to my language(itsekiri) i do understand itsekiri buh on a very slow rate
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by cecegorz(m): 5:31pm On Jan 14, 2013
NeuroBoss: Fortunately, I'm an ardent lover of languages. Apart from speaking the quintessence Yoruba language, I speak my Ijesa dialect as if tomorrow no dey. As a businessman waiting to explode internationally, I speak French, Spanish, German, Italian and Portuguese. I speak a smattering Arabic and Hausa. Just started learning the phonetic Igbo language since I'm engaged in Imo at the moment. A choro m asu asusu igbo. Asusu Igbo di nma!
YOU are da man!!!
I wish i can be like you.
Asides my fluency in Igbo, I also speak smattering hausa, and would like to add Yoruba and few international languages to the plate too
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by cecegorz(m): 5:35pm On Jan 14, 2013
elopee3000: Those who dont speak their native language re white people'slaves me and my family are not among
Hope they will hear it loud and clear.
The pathetic ones are the parents that refuse to speak their native tongues to their kids thinking it will make them smarter,but they end up dumber and confused. angry angry
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by hollypagan: 5:38pm On Jan 14, 2013
this is nonsence question
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by SBabaJ(m): 5:44pm On Jan 14, 2013
While Growing Up, You Dare Not Speak Any Other Language To My Dad Except Our Native Okun/Yagba. Even Among My Sibs We Speak Our Dialect Way More Than English/Pidgin. Yoruba Was And Still Is, The Least Employed Language In Our Home. We Matter Of Fact Seldom Speak Yoruba. Our Friends Found It Very Funny Though.
Re: How Often Do You Speak Your Native Language At Home? by dayokanu(m): 6:13pm On Jan 14, 2013
24-7

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

IGBO What Does Onye Akpu Obi Mean / See One Yoruba Word That Has several Meanings / Homosexualism In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.