Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,687 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:54 PM

Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her (62750 Views)

Photo: Chimamanda adichie With Her Handsome Husband / Chimamanda Adichie's New Hair Style: Like Or Dislike? / Chimamanda Adichie & Husband Ivara Esege (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by nollywood20: 10:12am On Jan 08, 2013
[size=28pt]Poster, you don't even know her first book "For Love of Biafra" (Ibadan: Spectrum Books, 1998).

Please, people, see http://www.l3.ulg.ac.be/adichie/cnabio.html[/size]
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by YuzedoII: 10:30am On Jan 08, 2013
Oahray: She's married? Damn! sad
Guess am too late.
Even if she was single, she wouldn't marry someone who uses "am" instead of "i'm"... undecided

@OP: What's with the use of "yelz", "gerrit" and other pseudo-urban jagbajantis?! If you want to write a cheesy, informal article, abeg include a caveat next time.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by dederocs(m): 10:47am On Jan 08, 2013
iyaniwurablog: Yes, you know she is one of Nigeria’s best writers and she has won a lot of prizes. But do you also know that:

1-She briefly studied medicine and pharmacy at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka before leaving to study communications (Eastern Connecticut State University) and creative writing from Johns Hopkins University.

2-She was born on the 15th September, 1977. That makes her 35 years old even though she looks every bit 25! But she doesn’t find that funny all the time:“I know, I look about 18. Actually, it can be a bit irritating. People don’t always take you seriously.” But I guess the world is taking her really serious now.

3-Her dad is Nigeria’s first professor of statistics while her mum is a university registrar, the first female in the institution (UNN). Now, you can see the genes at work. Yelz, her sister is a medical doctor.

4-She was born in Enugu State, the coal state of Nigeria.

5-Her latest book is titled ‘The Thing Around Your Neck’. Her other ones include the Purple Hibiscus and yes, you gerrit, Half of a Yellow Sun.

6-Tah! Don’t go there at all! She is happily married. Even though she once described marriage as a ‘dangerous’ institution for women. Her husband is a doctor based in Maryland, United States. She describes him as a ‘Nigerian, American and British’(see her pix with husband here: http://iyaniwura.com/16-things-you-didnt-know-about-chimamanda-adichie/). She shuttles between the US and Nigeria. How sweet!And obviously, she doesn’t want much noise made about that. But trust Iyaniwura to tell you a bit about her husband. He is Dr. Ivara Alistair Esege, MD of the University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland. He attended the University of Nigeria (UNN), Nsukka.

7-She is the fifth of six children and grew up in a house that was once used by Nigeria’s master writer and one of Africa’s very best writers, Chinua Achebe. I think I need to rent a room in that house too o!

8-Her middle name is Ngozi. It means ‘blessing’. As for Chimamanda, it means ‘My God is unfailing’ or ‘My God never fails me’.

9-She read Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart at the age of 10. Okay, what was I doing at the age of 10 o? Rolling tyres all over the street! By seven, she was already writing. Now, you don’t want to know what I was doing at that age.

10-She grew up reading Enid Blyton, okay, we share that trait…lol!

11-Her paternal grandfather died in a refugee camp during the Nigerian Civil War of 1967-1970. These experiences would later influence her writing style. Her book, Half of a Yellow Sun actually took its name from the Biafran flag.

12-She says she is always thinking about death, and for her, love and death come hand in hand.

13-She also said: “This may sound slightly mythical, but I sometimes feel as if my writing is something bigger than I am.”

14-Her dad actually dropped out of school when his family could no longer pay his school fees. He did some work as a sanitary inspector and was later able to sponsor himself for private Cambridge exams which he passed.

15- She won the MacArthur Genius Grant of $500,000, that’s cool half a million!

16-She’s a Catholic.

Thank you for your time.

http://iyaniwura.com/16-things-you-didnt-know-about-chimamanda-adichie/
I love this girl...she and Asa are my fav Nigerian ladies...Nneka too.kisses to all intelligent ladies out there.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Oahray: 11:18am On Jan 08, 2013
tchidi:
undecided
undecided
did u ever think you stood a chance? You know how many people de eye that lady? tongue tongue
Hehehehe... You underestimate me young woman. Name a lady we both know and watch me win her heart.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Oahray: 11:20am On Jan 08, 2013
centje: lmao!! You still dey perfect your wooing tactics while the smart doc was already making babies with your supposed 'prey'
As in eh... The way the world leaves people behind is amazing sad

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Oahray: 11:42am On Jan 08, 2013
YuzedoII:
Even if she was single, she wouldn't marry someone who uses "am" instead of "i'm"... undecided
Lol. I bet you think yourself a professor of English. It's an informal forum for me and I do not write with a view to making posts with perfect english.
However, since that is your wish, I would go all formal on you. grin grin grin

How is it you know nothing about 'subjunctives'?
You ought to have written "if she were" instead of "if she was".
As a rule, the subjuctive 'were' is used instead of 'was' after 'if+subject'. The subjunctive doesnt change with singularity or plurality of subject either, thus 'were' is used with every subject ('I', 'you', 'he/she', 'we', 'they').

Learn your english Mr!

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jan 08, 2013
Oahray: Hehehehe... You underestimate me young woman. Name a lady we both know and watch me win her heart.

Me! grin grin wink kiss

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Oahray: 12:21pm On Jan 08, 2013
tchidi:

Me! grin grin wink kiss
lol... Make I check if the sartian coast clear first. grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by odohemma(m): 12:41pm On Jan 08, 2013
Prof Corruption: She's beautiful but her books are damned too watery, shallow and unreadable.

Ogbeni, but why?

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by YuzedoII: 1:29pm On Jan 08, 2013
Oahray: Lol. I bet you think yourself a professor of English. It's an informal forum for me and I do not write with a view to making posts with perfect english.
However, since that is your wish, I would go all formal on you. grin grin grin

How is it you know nothing about 'subjunctives'?
You ought to have written "if she were" instead of "if she was".
As a rule, the subjuctive 'were' is used instead of 'was' after 'if+subject'. The subjunctive doesnt change with singularity or plurality of subject either, thus 'were' is used with every subject ('I', 'you', 'he/she', 'we', 'they').

Learn your english Mr!

Haha! You tried. I liked your post! Google is a great friend of ours...! However, have you considered that perhaps i was speaking in a hypothetical context and not conjunctive?? grin

Or the fact that English has almost lost its conjunctive mood? For the sake of our less informed audience however, lets get one fact straight: Both WAS and WERE are CORRECT. One is simply more appropriate in certain situations.

But pray, we must not derail this thread.

Good effort though... I always appreciate a challenge in the Language/Literary department. Well done. cool
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Parnassuss(m): 1:40pm On Jan 08, 2013
ceewai lebi: I love her books*Wish i can write*
You got that right, you truly can't write.

No hard feelings oh, na just play
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by snthesis(m): 2:00pm On Jan 08, 2013
has she attained the MRS degree undecided
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Curiouscity(m): 2:25pm On Jan 08, 2013
Hmmmm, she is married, that is very cool.

Can we all learn from this? Someone of her level marrying without making noise all over the place about it? I bet not up to 10% of us on this was aware of it till now. Can our celebrities learn from her(I imagine she is not regarded as a celebrity)?

Chimamanda, beautiful, intelligent yet humble!!!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by WAM1(f): 2:39pm On Jan 08, 2013
Good writer. Half of a Yellow Sun was my best- couldn't put it down :-) Purple hibiscus was good as well. Patiently awaiting her next- Americanah.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jan 08, 2013
Sammy107_d: You'll learn more about her by reading her literature. Jumia is selling all three in a bundle of 3,800

http://www./The-Best-of-Chimamanda-28850.html

[img]http://static./p/jumia-books-0337-05882-1-product.jpg[/img]
And i bought purple hibiscus for #2000?My book seller cheat me then#Damn,i hate been cheated angry
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jan 08, 2013
Parnassuss:
You got that right, you truly can't write.

No hard feelings oh, na just play
angry angry,U see play for my face sad

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Oahray: 3:33pm On Jan 08, 2013
YuzedoII:

Haha! You tried. I liked your post! Google is a great friend of ours...! However, have you considered that perhaps i was speaking in a hypothetical context and not conjunctive?? grin

Or the fact that English has almost lost its conjunctive mood? For the sake of our less informed audience however, lets get one fact straight: Both WAS and WERE are CORRECT. One is simply more appropriate in certain situations.

But pray, we must not derail this thread.

Good effort though... I always appreciate a challenge in the Language/Literary department. Well done. cool
Lol. Nice attempt at wriggling your way out.

It is NOT TRUE that both forms are ALWAYS correct. The fact that a form is popular does not make it correct either. Like you subtly admitted, depending on the context, you could be wrong.

The statement is only hypothetical when it is shrouded in uncertainty, in this case her 'single' status. Lets say we are not sure if she is married or not, and there is an actual possibility that the condition (that she is single) is true. On that ground alone would the expression "if she was" be acceptable.

From the info provided by the op, and from the tone of your own statement, you KNOW that she is not single, so your statement is contrafactual and not in anyway hypothetical in context. tongue

Nice conversation anyway.
**deactivating grammar snob mode**
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by DarryOsh(m): 3:52pm On Jan 08, 2013
The only thing on that list that i didnt know is that she thinks about death. She is one of the people i av googled most. I love chimamanda(n i am glad she is married so dont get funny ideas).
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by DarryOsh(m): 4:07pm On Jan 08, 2013
I am not tryin to fault anythin o bt i av a question. If she studied med and pharm that means she had a science background.so is it possible to just switch to art courses like communications and creative writing. I never thought it was possible. It was somethin i considered

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by YuzedoII: 4:34pm On Jan 08, 2013
Oahray: Lol. Nice attempt at wriggling your way out.

It is NOT TRUE that both forms are ALWAYS correct. The fact that a form is popular does not make it correct either. Like you subtly admitted, depending on the context, you could be wrong.

The statement is only hypothetical when it is shrouded in uncertainty, in this case her 'single' status. Lets say we are not sure if she is married or not, and there is an actual possibility that the condition (that she is single) is true. On that ground alone would the expression "if she was" be acceptable.

From the info provided by the op, and from the tone of your own statement, you KNOW that she is not single, so your statement is contrafactual and not in anyway hypothetical in context. tongue

Nice conversation anyway.
**deactivating grammar snob mode**

Touche...! I defer... Nice spar i must say, if only for the fact that i wasn't arguing with someone ignorant posturing as an intellectual. Good man!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by maskid(m): 5:13pm On Jan 08, 2013
Prof Corruption: She's beautiful but her books are damned too watery, shallow and unreadable.

Bad belle... oya go and write yurs lets see how readable and thick it wuld be. thats y she will always be ahead of you .. HATER
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Tinyemeka(m): 6:14pm On Jan 08, 2013
Series22: my guy, i tire o.. Na dat part i dey try 2 undastand. Abi UNN d study medicine & pharmcy as one course?
Even maths & statistics don seperate since. D gal's father even read just statistic.
@op, medicine and pharmacy r 2 different tinz. Stop insulting our collective sensibilities

"Stop insulting our collective sensibilities". Don't set yourself up for close scrutiny or criticism.

The article says she studied the disciplines briefly. It doesn't say she graduated from them. I believe you know that one can switch courses. She may have started with Pharmacy, then switched to Medicine (or vice-versa) before finally deciding that literature was her forte.

Is that impossible? Suppose you googled up her biography and found out that she actually studied those earlier mentioned courses?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by dapyd1(m): 6:34pm On Jan 08, 2013
NiceHans: Really talented writer, with allure and command in her writing. she's also gifted i must say
''She was born on 15th sept'' thats one 1 share with her, i always knew it, those born in september, are not just gifted, they are unique and intelligent.
I'm 15th sept too, and I am very intelligent also...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by dapyd1(m): 6:34pm On Jan 08, 2013
NiceHans: Really talented writer, with allure and command in her writing. she's also gifted i must say
''She was born on 15th sept'' thats one 1 share with her, i always knew it, those born in september, are not just gifted, they are unique and intelligent.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Chinom(m): 6:59pm On Jan 08, 2013
As a full fledged Igboman, i'm kicking myself right now for not grasping the meaning of her name "CHIMAMANDA" All this while, i though it was some sort of mix of Igbo and another foreign name.
Thanks for clearing things up for me. It has a fantastic meaning too. I'm also a coal city boy too. Born and brought up. Lover her to bits.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jan 08, 2013
DarryOsh: (n i am glad she is married so dont get funny ideas).
Don't tell me you have/had a crush on her
shocked shocked shocked..... Something tells me you are heartbroken grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by muktarl: 8:27pm On Jan 08, 2013
iyaniwurablog: Yes, you know she is one of Nigeria’s best writers and she has won a lot of prizes. But do you also know that:

1-She briefly studied medicine and pharmacy at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka before leaving to study communications (Eastern Connecticut State University) and creative writing from Johns Hopkins University.

2-She was born on the 15th September, 1977. That makes her 35 years old even though she looks every bit 25! But she doesn’t find that funny all the time:“I know, I look about 18. Actually, it can be a bit irritating. People don’t always take you seriously.” But I guess the world is taking her really serious now.

3-Her dad is Nigeria’s first professor of statistics while her mum is a university registrar, the first female in the institution (UNN). Now, you can see the genes at work. Yelz, her sister is a medical doctor.

4-She was born in Enugu State, the coal state of Nigeria.

5-Her latest book is titled ‘The Thing Around Your Neck’. Her other ones include the Purple Hibiscus and yes, you gerrit, Half of a Yellow Sun.

6-Tah! Don’t go there at all! She is happily married. Even though she once described marriage as a ‘dangerous’ institution for women. Her husband is a doctor based in Maryland, United States. She describes him as a ‘Nigerian, American and British’(see her pix with husband here: http://iyaniwura.com/16-things-you-didnt-know-about-chimamanda-adichie/). She shuttles between the US and Nigeria. How sweet!And obviously, she doesn’t want much noise made about that. But trust Iyaniwura to tell you a bit about her husband. He is Dr. Ivara Alistair Esege, MD of the University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland. He attended the University of Nigeria (UNN), Nsukka.

7-She is the fifth of six children and grew up in a house that was once used by Nigeria’s master writer and one of Africa’s very best writers, Chinua Achebe. I think I need to rent a room in that house too o!

8-Her middle name is Ngozi. It means ‘blessing’. As for Chimamanda, it means ‘My God is unfailing’ or ‘My God never fails me’.

9-She read Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart at the age of 10. Okay, what was I doing at the age of 10 o? Rolling tyres all over the street! By seven, she was already writing. Now, you don’t want to know what I was doing at that age.

10-She grew up reading Enid Blyton, okay, we share that trait…lol!

11-Her paternal grandfather died in a refugee camp during the Nigerian Civil War of 1967-1970. These experiences would later influence her writing style. Her book, Half of a Yellow Sun actually took its name from the Biafran flag.

12-She says she is always thinking about death, and for her, love and death come hand in hand.

13-She also said: “This may sound slightly mythical, but I sometimes feel as if my writing is something bigger than I am.”

14-Her dad actually dropped out of school when his family could no longer pay his school fees. He did some work as a sanitary inspector and was later able to sponsor himself for private Cambridge exams which he passed.

15- She won the MacArthur Genius Grant of $500,000, that’s cool half a million!

16-She’s a Catholic.

Thank you for your time.

http://iyaniwura.com/16-things-you-didnt-know-about-chimamanda-adichie/

OP, you forgot to add that she is an Anambran. She is from Ogidi or Ogbunike in Anambra state.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jan 08, 2013
SHE IS QUITE INSPIRING... HAD LISTEN TO THE TALK: THE DANGER OF A SINGLE STORY. AS A TEACHER , I USE HER ILLUSTRATIONS WHEN TEACHING MY JAMB STUDENTS ON GOVERNANCE, ESPECIALLY. COLONIALISM AND FOREIGN POLICY

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Mattin(m): 6:57am On Jan 09, 2013
Fela was supposed to study medicine but went for MUSIC which turned him to a LEGEND of AFRO music. Likewise Chimamanda story as earlier revealed by the OP look similar and much asay about those that has left a footprint on the sand of time.
I wish young Nigerians will follow suite(talent discovery) and drop white collar job mentality which initiates their reason for going to school....
I'm realizing my calling o!
what about you?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 9:39am On Jan 09, 2013
There was a thread about Chimamanda and I didn't know about it?? cry cry Gosh, I love her!!

Oh, what the op wrote is nothing new, I know errthing there is to know about Adichie, I'm in love with her. #no homo

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Natudu: 10:31am On Jan 10, 2013
Shollypopz: There was a thread about Chimamanda and I didn't know about it?? cry cry Gosh, I love her!!

Oh, what the op wrote is nothing new, I know errthing there is to know about Adichie, I'm in love with her. #no homo

And if you have some more to give us, spill it here, then.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) / Divided Emotions / Tade - The Rise Of An Activist.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.