Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,851 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:17 AM

Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her (62751 Views)

Photo: Chimamanda adichie With Her Handsome Husband / Chimamanda Adichie's New Hair Style: Like Or Dislike? / Chimamanda Adichie & Husband Ivara Esege (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by LarrySun(m): 10:12pm On Jan 10, 2013
Rhymez: I find reading novels boring undecided. I only read motivational books
What a pity!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by toboy: 2:47pm On Jan 11, 2013
Rhymez: I find reading novels boring undecided. I only read motivational books
i prefer novels any time any day! Motivational books are rather boring to me. What motivates comes within me! Not from books.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by toboy: 2:50pm On Jan 11, 2013
dederocs:
I love this girl...she and Asa are my fav Nigerian ladies...Nneka too.kisses to all intelligent ladies out there.
hmm! We share the same personality!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 11:26pm On Feb 01, 2013
Oahray: Lol. Nice attempt at wriggling your way out.

It is NOT TRUE that both forms are ALWAYS correct. The fact that a form is popular does not make it correct either. Like you subtly admitted, depending on the context, you could be wrong.

The statement is only hypothetical when it is shrouded in uncertainty, in this case her 'single' status. Lets say we are not sure if she is married or not, and there is an actual possibility that the condition (that she is single) is true. On that ground alone would the expression "if she was" be acceptable.

From the info provided by the op, and from the tone of your own statement, you KNOW that she is not single, so your statement is contrafactual and not in anyway hypothetical in context. tongue

Nice conversation anyway.
**deactivating grammar snob mode**
You two seem misguided. Ther determiner of what form of 'be' that would follow 'if' is the presence/absence of "to be"
Only 'were' is allowed to follow 'to be' after if.
If she were to be single,married,wicked,childless...
If she was single,married,wicked...
Ndi Nkuzi oda akpu!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Oahray: 8:07am On Feb 02, 2013
DanoskyZ:
You two seem misguided. Ther determiner of what form of 'be' that would follow 'if' is the presence/absence of "to be"
Only 'were' is allowed to follow 'to be' after if.
If she were to be single,married,wicked,childless...
If she was single,married,wicked...
Ndi Nkuzi oda akpu!
you are talking about subjunctives bro. The subjunctive is only compulsory with contrafactual statements, statements we both know is not and cannot be true, e.g "If I WERE a boy, I would chase girls all day". "If I WERE you, I would keep shut".

When someone uses 'were to be' it is because he is talking about something considered highly unlikely e.g "If I WERE TO BE the next US president, I would finish off the middle east". It is the contrafactual context, not the presence of 'to be' that necessitates the usage of 'were' with 'if'.

However, in hypothetical statements (with some degree of uncertainty, which COULD be true or not), the 'was' form of the verb 'be' can be used e.g "If he WAS on his way already when he called, why did he not say it?" In this instance, the speaker is not sure whether the subject was on his way or not. Using 'was' in this context is correct.
Cheers.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by zayhal(f): 9:36am On Feb 02, 2013
The only thing I did not know about her is No. 12. Used her book for my M.A. thesis and so did a lot of research about her.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Kechybee(f): 10:19am On Mar 28, 2013
She started wit medicine and later switched to pharmacy. She is also married to a medical doctor who hails from either crossriver or Akwaibom, DR Ivaira. I knw he isn't Igbo.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by BeatriceM1(f): 10:55pm On Sep 26, 2014
(17) Aside writing she is also a fashion designer
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 11:06pm On Sep 27, 2014
acidosisTM: I dislike writing and aint interested in writers... smiley

Chaaaaaaaaaaai. Dislike writing? Chaaaaaaaai
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 11:08pm On Sep 27, 2014
gbadexy: •̸Ϟ•̸y best nigerian writer for now.
Yeah since Achebe died... But Soyinka?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 3:53am On Sep 28, 2014
Are you a writer or an aspiring writer, this workshop is for you...
https://www.nairaland.com/1893739/nairaland-e-workshop-writers---comment-thread
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by gbadexy(m): 7:13am On Sep 28, 2014
laykorn:
Yeah since Achebe died... But Soyinka?
I don't even really have time to read novels again. But I only enjoy the type written by achebe and co. I don't know what category that is.
I don't enjoy reading plays. I was a science student in school and never did literature nor enjoyed it. I just like good story telling.
It doesn't mean I subscribe to the person of achebe though.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 10:37am On Sep 28, 2014
gbadexy:
I don't even really have time to read novels again. But I only enjoy the type written by achebe and co. I don't know what category that is.
I don't enjoy reading plays. I was a science student in school and never did literature nor enjoyed it. I just like good story telling.
It doesn't mean I subscribe to the person of achebe though.

Yeah- I get you.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by TheBeginning(m): 2:47pm On Nov 24, 2014
I dislike writing and aint interested in writers... smiley
Everyone writes - whether they want to accept it or not - 'cos anyone who doesn't, is a nobody. Wait! You really are nobody. Sorry. . .didn't mean to corroborate ya name.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by TheBeginning(m): 2:49pm On Nov 24, 2014
Everyone writes - whether they want to accept it or not - 'cos anyone who doesn't, is a nobody. Wait! You really are nobody. Sorry. . .didn't mean to corroborate ya name.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her by frankoben(m): 10:12am On Sep 22, 2017
A young lady not slay queen wit the wisdom of ancient storytellers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) / Divided Emotions / Tade - The Rise Of An Activist.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.