Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,877 members, 7,866,358 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 03:50 PM

American(black And White) Different Accent. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / American(black And White) Different Accent. (5939 Views)

Rantings Of An African On African American "Black History Month" / What Do Nigerians Really Think About American Black People? / The Best African Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jan 09, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: @ lol are you saying that what makes an accent is the financial background and level of education?? undecided
i will find a video from a high school you will see how sudents living in the same area and having the same teachers speak differently ...blacks have a tone which is not constent it goes up and down

Yes all 4 play a role....

Region
Culture
Financial Background
Level of Education

It all shapes a youth during his development

You can't judge them like they are Immigrants who just came here....you have to judge them like a child being developed and cultivated lol
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jan 09, 2013
and from a foreigner like me i find the black accent harder to get , sometimes woahhh like the first answer of knowshon i had to listen a second time to get what he is saying
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jan 09, 2013
Humans are like sheep, they copy what is around them

Accents can be Curved.

Accents can be Shaped.

Financial Background and Education will present what "pool" you are relegated to, which means what peers you will be growing up trying to copy.

Accents for the Most Part are Curved and Shaped.

Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jan 09, 2013
As a Black American, I myself can barely Understand Southern Accents, especially Poor Southerners who shorten their words.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jan 09, 2013
الملكي فوق الله:

Yes all 4 play a role....

Region
Culture
Financial Background
Level of Education

It all shapes a youth during his development

You can't judge them like they are Immigrants who just came here....you have to judge them like a child being developed and cultivated lol
naaa maybe level of education but what can influence someone accent or way of talking are :the people around him(teachers,parents,friends), another language(if its not his first language) when an haoussa talk english in nigeria i'm sure tpia knows, she propably doesn't have to look at the T.v now it might vary if the haoussa in question grew up around yoruba or igbos he will talk like them.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jan 09, 2013
As far as Moreno...He just can't talk man LoL grin
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jan 09, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: naaa maybe level of education but what can influence someone accent or way of talking are :the people around him(teachers,parents,friends), another language(if its not his first language) when an haoussa talk english in nigeria i'm sure tpia knows, she propably doesn't have to look at the T.v now it might vary if the haoussa in question grew up around yoruba or igbos he will talk like them.

The Bold^^..

Same Over Here.

You are influenced by the people around you

And Financial Bracket, Level of Education,Culture and Region all determine and dictate what "pool" of people you are influenced by when you grow up

And that "Pool" of influence determines how you shape and curve your words, and The Accent that is Born.

"You" Meaning United States Pop. Just to Clarify
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jan 09, 2013
grin ;Ddifference when a black or when a white talk
[url][/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak8zWr2H6KQ&feature=player_detailpage[quote][/quote] lol @ the one who said brook can't believe you said ......lol it sounds like he is singing grin grin
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jan 09, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP-i66v7o94

Tell me how does Mark May Sound...

The Black Male in the Video Above

Put his Accent in a Box, what is that accent classified as?...
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jan 09, 2013
الملكي فوق الله:

The Bold^^..

Same Over Here.

You are influenced by the people around you

And Financial Bracket, Level of Education,Culture and Region all determine and dictate what "pool" of people you are influenced by when you grow up

And that "Pool" of influence determines how you shape and curve your words, and The Accent that is Born.

"You" Meaning United States Pop. Just to Clarify
here(in america) it is diff ,white from the same are talk differently where i live i have one black neighbor with his wife and kids their accent are different,with my others white neighbors they all grew up in the same town, just the way the black father greet me is different lol
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jan 09, 2013
grin..Shaq...

No Comment on Shaq.

I can't defend that Bullshit Lmao
grin

1 Like

Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jan 09, 2013
Ok so are Shaq and Mark May's Accents both classified as the same to your Ear?.

Or would you box and group them differently?
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jan 09, 2013
cool
الملكي فوق الله:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP-i66v7o94

Tell me how does Mark May Sound...

The Black Male in the Video Above

Put his Accent in a Box, what is that accent classified as?...
are you telling me there is no differnce? even without looking i would have known that a black is talking , ps: not always i admit but you can deny black and white most of the time talk differently. cool
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jan 09, 2013
الملكي فوق الله: Ok so are Shaq and Mark May's Accents both classified as the same to your Ear?.

Or would you box and group them differently?
all black don't have the same accent ...so shaq accent is quite different but they both are grouped in what i call black accent it may vary with your bass ,the way you articulate etc but mark or shaq both don't talk like the whites in those videos
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jan 09, 2013
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jan 09, 2013

1 Like

Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by SAFO(m): 3:16pm On Jan 09, 2013
If you hear Randy Moss speak, you would think you were listening to a White hillbilly. grin
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by tpia5: 3:59pm On Jan 09, 2013
some blacks (not the majority) have "white" accents, mainly because they grew up around whites and probably had parents who also spoke the same, but most blacks have their own distinct accents even from whites who are from the same area with them, because of parental influence.

there was a black migration from the south, about a century ago, and obviously, they kept their language patterns.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by tpia5: 4:01pm On Jan 09, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: off topic lmao i'm on the floor grin grin
[url][/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3frCWZ1B3c&feature=player_detailpage

this guy is very good with accents.

he did a nigerian woman too, and he was pitch perfect.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jan 09, 2013
Randy Most Definitely sounds like a Redneck LoL....

tpia@:
some blacks (not the majority) have "white" accents, mainly because they grew up around whites and probably had parents who also spoke the same, but most blacks have their own distinct accents even from whites who are from the same area with them, because of parental influence.

there was a black migration from the south, about a century ago, and obviously, they kept their language patterns.

They had parents who "spoke" white ehhh? LmL

@A Previous Post

Blacks Up North of the last few generations don't sound anything Like the Blacks from the South.

Maybe in the 1950s and 1940s they did.

I would actually agree that Blacks from a few generations ago up north kept similar accents as their southern families.

But that has been Long gone and Lost.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by tpia5: 6:11pm On Jan 09, 2013
^arent you mixed with hispanic [or hispanic]?

so your view would necessarily reflect that.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jan 09, 2013
tpia@:

there was a black migration from the south, about a century ago, and obviously, they kept their language patterns
it makes sense
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jan 09, 2013
tpia@:

this guy is very good with accents.

he did a nigerian woman too, and he was pitch perfect.
i kee replaying this video
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jan 09, 2013
my thoughts exactly
tpia@:
^arent you mixed with hispanic [or hispanic]?

so your view would necessarily reflect that.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by MrsChima(f): 6:33pm On Jan 09, 2013
Lol@camdummy dissing his old azz moma

Lol!!!!
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jan 09, 2013
Mrs.Chima:
Lol@camdummy dissing his old azz moma

Lol!!!!

stop stalking me,, i aint gonna Bleep u. i don't do ashawo tongue shocked park your azz somewhere else filthy ho3
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by MrsChima(f): 7:06pm On Jan 09, 2013
Eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww@!!!
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jan 09, 2013
Mrs.Chima:
Eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww@!!!
what an intellit human-being all this time to come with this line , you must be high on some sperm/bed-fluid tongue tongue
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Blyss: 8:54pm On Jan 09, 2013
tpia@:
Black accents are the same as southern white accents.

In slavery times, that was the english spoken in the slave owning states.

Northern accents are different, and are the type commonly considered "white" english.

Technically, this isnt factually correct because southern english is also white even its commonly assumed to be black.

Incorrect as usual. Northern BA speak with a Northern accent, same as white americans. Southern BA speak with a southern accent, same as Southern White Americans. Most Northerners period have a hard time understanding a southerner a lot of times, no matter what race they are. Now among the Northern blacks and whites there may be some minor variation in the pitch in which they speak at times, though both clearly are speaking in the same Northern accents. The same goes for Southerners, both white and black. But this difference in pitch is not always present, in that some whites carry a pitch in which is more common with BA from their region while some blacks carry one in which is more common among white americans from their region. Oh, and there's also a mid-western and western accent as well.

Case in point. PAUL WALL. Would you be able to tell that he wasn't a black southern if you were talking to him over the phone? Absolutely not. cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfPLcQhXpCc
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jan 09, 2013
too much autotune and others sound effects that's why i didn't pick any singer.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Blyss: 9:01pm On Jan 09, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: too much autotune and others sound effects that's why i didn't pick any singer.

LOL. Dude, are you for real? cheesy Ok, here you go. cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgPVDozq6WE
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by tpia5: 2:29am On Jan 10, 2013
^ AA issues arent really your forte, i believe your focus is on african matters, igbo in particular, so you cant really know much about this topic, since you are african.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Benue Carnival 2009 Pictures / African Time: The Bug In Our Systems / Was Cleopatra Black? No.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.