Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,898 members, 7,866,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 05:24 PM

American(black And White) Different Accent. - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / American(black And White) Different Accent. (5940 Views)

Rantings Of An African On African American "Black History Month" / What Do Nigerians Really Think About American Black People? / The Best African Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Blyss: 2:46am On Jan 10, 2013
tpia@:
^ AA issues arent really your forte, i believe your focus is on african matters, igbo in particular, so you cant really know much about this topic, since you are african.

LOL, honey come on off that dead horse. I'm about as BA or AA if you prefer.. as you can get. I know my peoples history very well, much better than I know your peoples history in which I also know pretty well; better than you do in fact, as you've witnessed in the past. cheesy Now in regard to this subject; I know what I speak of because I am of the people being spoken about and I was born raised and still live in the nation in which the topic of this subject extends from. Now you on the other hand are an African, living in Australia, and you've never even been to this nation before. You've most likely have never even seen a BA in your life other than on TV, not to mention spoken to one in person. So you, my dare, have absolutely NOTHING of any form of validity to say about this topic. By and stay healthy.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Blyss: 2:49am On Jan 10, 2013
Where you at CP. Come speak your mind on that last video I posted for you, Ace. smiley
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 3:43am On Jan 10, 2013
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 3:52am On Jan 10, 2013
just listen how they sound different
[url][/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o7XEYfwHYY&feature=player_detailpage
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Blyss: 4:12am On Jan 10, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: just listen how they sound different
[url][/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o7XEYfwHYY&feature=player_detailpage

LOL, dude get off it already. What a joke. First of all, you posted a man speaking to a woman, that's just way out of place when attempting to prove a point in a discussion like this; a man and woman will naturally sound different, but even with that being as it is in this video, I can still clearly tell that they both are from the same region or at least speak the same type/standard of American English. Their tones are different because, he's a man and she's a woman and thus have a different pitch in their voice, but you can clearly hear that they speak in the same standard of English. You need to go get your ears checked, Ace.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 4:24am On Jan 10, 2013
i knew you were going to point out the gender difference lol ..anyway i will post another videos m kinda busy right now grin grin
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 5:01am On Jan 10, 2013
Black Men usually have a deeper voice than White Men imo.

[url][/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VDA8acKNSk

Voddie Baucham, hes literally the spitting image of my dad... looks and sounds just like him cheesy
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by tpia5: 1:25pm On Jan 10, 2013
The northern accent is brisk, while the southern or black one is not.

The main thing is, southern whites and southern blacks used to have almost the same accent, save for the difference in education and environment, and the major differences in language were between northern whites and southern ones. As to whether the southerners accents wee influenced by blacks, or it was vice versa is yet to be determined.

But blacks in general have their own accent and typically, a black who doesnt speak like that, will stand out because you're speaking like a white person.

Nigerians whose accents are based on the british model, also have this problem when they're in the US.

@ darapture/kingbenin/blyss/whatever

your major is in igbo affairs. Stick to that and dont interfere when others are discussing what you dont know.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Blyss: 6:20pm On Jan 10, 2013
tpia@:

The main thing is, southern whites and southern blacks used to have almost the same accent, save for the difference in education and environment, and the major differences in language were between northern whites and southern ones. As to whether the southerners accents wee influenced by blacks, or it was vice versa is yet to be determined.

But blacks in general have their own accent and typically, a black who doesnt speak like that, will stand out because you're speaking like a white person.

Nigerians whose accents are based on the british model, also have this problem when they're in the US.

Wbb to address your post.

LOL. If only you know just how clueless you are on this topic, you'd be as floored as I was upon reading that garbage. Stick to Nigerian and Australian affairs, sis. You are out of your league on anything dealing with this nation. Seriously, stay away!! cheesy
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jan 10, 2013
Hopefully an actual african american or white american will comment tongue
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Blyss: 12:03am On Jan 11, 2013
H-Star89:

Ha, funny. undecided
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:10am On Jan 12, 2013
H-Star89:
aren't you a BA? anyway thank you for your participation BA really have a deeper voice
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:13am On Jan 12, 2013
tpia@:

your major is in igbo affairs. Stick to that and dont interfere when others are discussing what you dont know.
your presence here is more than welcome ,what you say make a lot of sense i don't know why blyss think there is something wrong in having a different accent. @ blyss BA have a diff accent stop fronting fam ,you can scroll up and watch the videos that we posted
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 3:03am On Jan 12, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: aren't you a BA? anyway thank you for your participation BA really have a deeper voice

My dad is... You're welcome.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 3:19am On Jan 12, 2013
H-Star89:
My dad is... You're welcome.
ok. NICE PIC BTW you are the chick on the left right?
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 3:20am On Jan 12, 2013
LOL @BLYSS AND TPIA grin grin grin grin
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 7:13am On Jan 12, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: ok. NICE PIC BTW you are the chick on the left right?

Thx wink and yes; my mom is on the right
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 7:50am On Jan 12, 2013
It's the same out here - and I speak with a black british accent... I think it has more to do with pitch and vocal chords... Asians also sound different from both black and white people as well...
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by tpia5: 2:07pm On Jan 12, 2013
Not the asians who were born and raised in the west.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Blyss: 3:23pm On Jan 12, 2013
H-Star89:

Thx wink and yes; my mom is on the right

I thought your mother was Nigerian?
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Blyss: 3:38pm On Jan 12, 2013
shymexx: It's the same out here - and I speak with a black british accent... I think it has more to do with pitch and vocal chords... Asians also sound different from both black and white people as well...

This topic is stupid. There are all kinds of accents in this nation; there are city/urban based accents and regional accents. In general most of the natives of a particular city or region speak in the same accent, what you Africans are hearing is a possible difference in the pitch of the voice between various groups, but even this isn't totally the case. Some blacks have more of a typical white pitch when they talk, and some whites have a typical black pitch as I've shown in the case of rapper Paul Wall. Accent is based on form, not pitch; yes blacks in generally tend to most often have more base in their voice than whites, but this dose not correlate to the two groups having a different accent. You people are confusing accent with tone of voice.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jan 12, 2013
Blyss:

I thought your mother was Nigerian?
that's what she said undecided
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by newmusic: 8:33pm On Jan 12, 2013
@CAMEROONPRIDE, I think I understand what you mean, sometimes I can tell if it's a white guy talking or black guy without looking at the TV. It's more of nature than accents, black people tend to talk deeper from the lungs while whites speak lightly and put less pulmonary pressure on the lungs.

White and black that grew up under the same roof may sound differently, I think it's just a natural thing... I don't know better ways to explain this.

Sometimes ,it applies to music as well, I was wondering when I saw a black girl taking the chorus of P. Diddy's "home coming". My curiosity made me to find out who took the chorus then I later found out it was Skylar Gray(she was just not in the video).

Though our very own Asa has a unique voice though, lol.

@Blyss may be right.

1 Like

Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jan 12, 2013
Blyss:

This topic is stupid. There are all kinds of accents in this nation; there are city/urban based accents and regional accents. In general most of the natives of a particular city or region speak in the same accent, what you Africans are hearing is a possible difference in the pitch of the voice between various groups, but even this isn't totally the case. Some blacks have more of a typical white pitch when they talk, and some whites have a typical black pitch as I've shown in the case of rapper Paul Wall. Accent is based on form, not pitch; yes blacks in generally tend to most often have more base in their voice than whites, but this dose not correlate to the two groups having a different accent. You people are confusing accent with tone of voice.
you are the one making a lot of confusions its quite funny when someone call a thread stu.pid esp when this person failed to answer a simple question: WHAT MAKE AN ACCENT? i will add another questions since it seems we are not on the same page: WHAT IS AN ACCENT/HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN A FOREIGNER IS TALKING AND WHEN A LOCAL IS TALKING? WHAT DIFFERENCY THEM?
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Blyss: 6:47am On Jan 13, 2013
newmusic: @CAMEROONPRIDE, I think I understand what you mean, sometimes I can tell if it's a white guy talking or black guy without looking at the TV. It's more of nature than accents, black people tend to talk deeper from the lungs while whites speak lightly and put less pulmonary pressure on the lungs.

White and black that grew up under the same roof may sound differently, I think it's just a natural thing... I don't know better ways to explain this.

Sometimes ,it applies to music as well, I was wondering when I saw a black girl taking the chorus of P. Diddy's "home coming". My curiosity made me to find out who took the chorus then I later found out it was Skylar Gray(she was just not in the video).

@Blyss may be right.

He knows damn well that I've schooled his behind on this topic, but since it's me giving him the lesson, he'll never concede to that. He'll keep doing the circle jerk around here, on this already concluded topic until folk just get tired of posting in this resolved topic of a thread. cheesy
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Blyss: 6:49am On Jan 13, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: you are the one making a lot of confusions its quite funny when someone call a thread stu.pid esp when this person failed to answer a simple question: WHAT MAKE AN ACCENT? i will add another questions since it seems we are not on the same page: WHAT IS AN ACCENT/HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN A FOREIGNER IS TALKING AND WHEN A LOCAL IS TALKING? WHAT DIFFERENCY THEM?

I've already answered that question along with your starting question of the thread, Ace. Give it up already, and stop making an azz of yourself. This topic has bee resolved. smiley
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 10:18am On Jan 13, 2013
Blyss: I thought your mother was Nigerian?

she is, well half wink ..Igbo mom and white dad
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by ektbear: 10:33am On Jan 13, 2013
Yep...usually easy to tell or guess someone's race by their accent on the phone. Black English is different from white English, both in accent and word choices.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by tpia5: 11:33am On Jan 13, 2013
not sure why this is even an argument.
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jan 13, 2013
undecided
Blyss:

I've already answered that question along with your starting question of the thread, Ace. Give it up already, and stop making an azz of yourself. This topic has bee resolved. smiley
still waiting your answer undecided
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jan 13, 2013
ekt_bear: Yep...usually easy to tell or guess someone's race by their accent on the phone. Black English is different from white English, both in accent and word choices.
thanks, i thought i was crazy
Re: American(black And White) Different Accent. by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 13, 2013
newmusic: @CAMEROONPRIDE, I think I understand what you mean, sometimes I can tell if it's a white guy talking or black guy without looking at the TV. It's more of nature than accents, black people tend to talk deeper from the lungs while whites speak lightly and put less pulmonary pressure on the lungs.

[b]White and black that grew up under the same roof may sound differently, I think it's just a natural thing... I don't know better ways to explain this.

[/b]Sometimes ,it applies to music as well, I was wondering when I saw a black girl taking the chorus of P. Diddy's "home coming". My curiosity made me to find out who took the chorus then I later found out it was Skylar Gray(she was just not in the video).

@Blyss may be right.
word

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Benue Carnival 2009 Pictures / African Time: The Bug In Our Systems / Was Cleopatra Black? No.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.