Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:24 AM

Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? (4568 Views)

Is SC Genotype The Same Thing As Ss / Children Who Exhibit Sexual Behavior At An Early Age / Suggest An Eye Drop For An Early Glaucoma Patient (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by totalbaby(f): 12:31am On Jan 09, 2013
I don"t know what is wrong with me lately. I don"t even have words to describe how I feel.

I completed my degree and starting my residency this month but yet I do not feel excited or even happy, to be honest I think I"m dreading it a bit.

I don"t feel like going anywhere(I was never a very outgoing person) but it seems worse even family and friends are complaining.

I feel bored in my relationship. If I could I would be in bed all day n nyt alone and to myself. I don"t think it"s deppresion cos I feel fine and don"t have anything to be deppressed about.

Has anyone experienced something similar or am I just losing my mind...
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by Nobody: 9:34am On Jan 09, 2013
I don't know how to handle this. I will advice you see a psychologist or a psychiatric doctor. We,nigerians,tend to shy away from these medical professionals but they can be of great help.

However,i feel maybe you don't find fulfillment in your career, maybe you're stressed,maybe you need to start a new relationship with someone in less a demanding job,more outgoing and more creative in a relationship.

You can try new things different from your profession and in the process you also meet people with different/strange/crazy ideology. It could be gym class,karate class,dance class,music,skating,art class(esp playing with colours),race...

You can take a leave,travel to an entirely different environment,different culture and lifestyle. Spend time in amusement park,open field,beaches, etc

How often do you exercise?

3 Likes

Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by totalbaby(f): 9:51am On Jan 09, 2013
Thanks for ur advice. I really appreciate it. Well I did think about speaking to someone but am not type of person that can open up and talk to strangers. With my career its too late to change. Spent 6yrs for my degree and it was something I wanted to do. My bf and I are in a long distance relatiobship so I think that it is taking a lil toll on me. I think you are right about the stress part and have been reading up and I think I may be deppressed. I exercise 4times a week.
centje: I don't know how to handle this. I will advice you see a psychologist or a psychiatric doctor. We,nigerians,tend to shy away from these medical professionals but they could be of great help.

However,i feel maybe you don't fulfillment in your career, maybe you're stressed,maybe you need to start a new relationship with someone in less a demanding job,more outgoing and more creative in a relationship.

You can try new things different from your profession and in the process you also meet people with different/strange/crazy ideas. It could be gym class,karate class,dance class,music,skating,art class(esp playing with colours),race...

You can take a leave,travel to an entirely different environment,different culture and lifestyle. Spend time in amusement park,open field,beaches, etc

Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by Nobody: 10:56am On Jan 09, 2013
totalbaby: Thanks for ur advice. I really appreciate it. Well I did think about speaking to someone but am not type of person that can open up and talk to strangers. With my career its too late to change. Spent 6yrs for my degree and it was something I wanted to do. My bf and I are in a long distance relatiobship so I think that it is taking a lil toll on me. I think you are right about the stress part and have been reading up and I think I may be deppressed. I exercise 4times a week.
i had that problem of meeting strangers. But during my days in the uni i identified it as problem which i needed to tackle. So faced it. I also saw it as an art, you learn it by practising it. Theres no formula,books can be of help buh its best learnt by practise. What i did then was just say one or two things(could be serious,joke,causal or even naughty) but you will be suprised to see the person giving you a friendly response and from there conversation starts. Try this book: 'why you act the way you do' Hope i got the title right...

You can try explaining to your boyfriend what you're passing through and probably plan for a vacation with him. Its good you choose a place where you havent been before.

Your exercise is ok,buh you can make it more of an out door sports like cycling. You can buy a bicycle and cycle in the evening after work(if possible) or better during the weekends.

Since you're into the field you will know better about symptoms of depression and seek proper care. Very important. depression can worsen and usually makes one far less productive.

3 Likes

Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by DANILSA(m): 11:23am On Jan 09, 2013
centje: I don't know how to handle this. I will advice you see a psychologist or a psychiatric doctor. We,nigerians,tend to shy away from these medical professionals but they could be of great help.

However,i feel maybe you don't fulfillment in your career, maybe you're stressed,maybe you need to start a new relationship with someone in less a demanding job,more outgoing and more creative in a relationship.

You can try new things different from your profession and in the process you also meet people with different/strange/crazy ideas. It could be gym class,karate class,dance class,music,skating,art class(esp playing with colours),race...

I THINK HE HAS THE KEY TO UR PROBLEM. JUST TRY THEM AND YOU WILL BE BETTER,TRY MAKING NEW FRIENDS(PUN EXCLUDED)
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by Olucheye(m): 11:28am On Jan 09, 2013
@OP, We share similar traits. Right from childhood I've lost interest in any form of outdoor gatherings and even while in Uni, i ensured i was basically satisfied in my room.

Now its taking so much toll on me that now I've always wondering if I'll be able to be a full outdoor person that I'll have loved!

I've for sure felt lost times without number too but the best advice is finding someone who understand your kind of person, try to find something to do that spurrs up your inner person be it music, Games, outdoor driving e.t.c

The above is what i do when i feel like I'm losing it. Also find someone you could have a heart to heart talk with. It does help!

1 Like

Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by Nobody: 11:32am On Jan 09, 2013
in life, things happen to people differently.

1 Like

Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by engrtee(f): 11:44am On Jan 09, 2013
I tink u shud see a psychiatric .
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by totalbaby(f): 11:49am On Jan 09, 2013
Thanks, I think I should find a new hobby or something that will interest me. I don"t have a problem meeting ppl and friends, infact I have many friends but I think i am an introvert. I really luv being at home(being comfy, watching a movie etc) but I know I need to move out of my comfort zone and perhaps try to go out more n be more social. Another thing is funny enough a lot of my friends like to party,drink etc which is not wat am into so when I go out with them I feel bored and out of place. I think what I need to do is join a class and do something different.
DANILSA:
I THINK HE HAS THE KEY TO UR PROBLEM. JUST TRY THEM AND YOU WILL BE BETTER,TRY MAKING NEW FRIENDS(PUN EXCLUDED)
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by ektbear: 11:50am On Jan 09, 2013
Yep. Happened to me in 2009.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by totalbaby(f): 11:50am On Jan 09, 2013
undecidedThank you. Some ppl are so childish
centje: na wa o! The op is serious nah. you shouldnt make joke out of this,people can be very fragile.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by totalbaby(f): 11:51am On Jan 09, 2013
So what did you do?
ekt_bear: Yep. Happened to me in 2009.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by chiboy11(m): 11:57am On Jan 09, 2013
am going tru mine badly now, attimes u feel cheated in life but GOD knos beta
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by totalbaby(f): 11:58am On Jan 09, 2013
Awww thanks. I can relate to a lot of what you say. The funny thing is when ppl first see me they think am the outgoing type but I dunno I do go out at times but when ever I do I sometimes wish I did not go.I think my career choice also played a role cos after 2nd year I had no life, even if I wanted to, the amount of work made it impossible. I"m trying to be more outgoing and no so introvert so I think during my leave will travel somewhere different with my sister. quote author=Olucheye]@OP, We share similar traits. Right from childhood I've lost interest in any form of outdoor gatherings and even while in Uni, i ensured i was basically satisfied in my room.

Now its taking so much toll on me that now I've always wondering if I'll be able to be a full outdoor person that I'll have loved!

I've for sure felt lost times without number too but the best advice is finding someone who understand your kind of person, try to find something to do that spurrs up your inner person be it music, Games, outdoor driving e.t.c

The above is what i do when i feel like I'm losing it. Also find someone you could have a heart to heart talk with. It does help! [/quote]
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by uwish: 12:00pm On Jan 09, 2013
warrior101:

This is your destiny. The best way to go about this is to just listen to that small voice saying, "suicide" "Suicide" "suicide"... grin
Remember that whatever you wish others comes upon you. If you don't have good advise then remain silent 4eva

2 Likes

Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by totalbaby(f): 12:01pm On Jan 09, 2013
Yes that's very true. Hope everything works out alright for you.
chiboy11: am going tru mine badly now, attimes u feel cheated in life but GOD knos beta
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by totalbaby(f): 12:08pm On Jan 09, 2013
Maybe I will give it a try. I just really feel like am failing myself, family and bf too. I feel like my life is passing me by and have yet to really enjoy it. My bro is getting married soon and to be honest I feel like I am not excited I rather feel that it"ll be better if I don"t go.
engrtee: I tink u shud see a psychiatric .
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by slimyem: 12:08pm On Jan 09, 2013
@totalbaby..
I can relate to this as i find myself in a similar situation now though i'm dealing with it gradually.
I used to be a very outgoing,warm and lively person but it suddenly stopped.
I broke off lots of contacts,stopped social network activity, stopped attending events,I stopped caring about people that do not have a direct relationship with me.I started enjoying being with myself alone and i buried myself in activities i created for myself.
I even shaved my hair impulsively at some point.
I tried to learn a new sport but got pissed of by almost all the people i met at the sports place after a few weeks.
I know something wrong and i think and know why and what but the how to get past it is really hard,
Learning useful tips from this thread especially Centje's posts.smiley

1 Like

Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by zibe(m): 12:11pm On Jan 09, 2013
Funny, this is exactly how I feel right now. Probably worse.

At 22, a graduate and in an unsatisfying job after NYSC, I'm feeling like my youth has been stolen away from me. Pressures are slowly mounting from everywhere and I feel old already. Crazy.

And I'm just coming back from a final stage interview in a company I love only to be told I don't have an experience in the field...and I was like..then why did I get to this stage? Smh.

Just a lil of what it is sha.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by totalbaby(f): 12:15pm On Jan 09, 2013
Wow. I can also relate to a lot of things you have said. I have cut ppl from my life but you are lucky at least you know what's wrong and you can slowly work on that. For me I dunno why am this way so I first need to figure that out.quote author=slimyem]@totalbaby..
I can relate to this as i find myself in a similar situation now though i'm dealing with it gradually.
I used to be a very outgoing,warm and lively person but it suddenly stopped.
I broke off lots of contacts,stopped social network activity, stopped attending events,I stopped caring about people that do not have a direct relationship with me.I started enjoying being with myself alone and i buried myself in activities i created for myself.
I even shaved my hair impulsively at some point.
I tried to learn a new sport but got pissed of by almost all the people i met at the sports place after a few weeks.
I know something wrong and i think and know why and what but the how to get past it is really hard,
Learning useful tips from this thread especially Centje's posts.smiley[/quote]
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by totalbaby(f): 12:20pm On Jan 09, 2013
Wow am sorry to hear that but dnt give up am sure you will get your break soon. The same thing happened to my bro. We all thought maybe things were just not going to happen for him after a few years of searching but during those times he did his masters etc instead of being idle and now today he is quite successful. Everyone has their own time but God"s time is best. You are still young, you just need to keep trying
zibe: Funny, this is exactly how I feel right now. Probably worse.

At 22, a graduate and in an unsatisfying job (more like pro-bono) after NYSC, I'm feeling like my youth has been stolen away from me. Pressures are slowly mounting from everywhere and I feel old already. Crazy.

And I'm just coming back from a final stage interview in a company I love only to be told I don't have an experience in the field...and I was like..then why did I get to this stage? Smh.

Just a lil of what it is sha.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by andyanders: 12:28pm On Jan 09, 2013
Please, it's not right. Something is wrong. You need prayers because it could go beyond what you are experiencing now. You did the right thing to air your situation and as such, should take most advise from here serious and see how you can get out of it. For having your close ones complain about this act goes to show the extent. If you can watch Emmanuel TV on cable, you will see so many people who pass through same situation in which it was as a result of an attack.As such, you will need deliverance. You cannot be an introvert with your level of education and the current life style in an environment like ours could be a problem. Your partner's absence could be a problem since you are the quiet and reserve type. I pray God see you through and show you a way out.

1 Like

Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by Emmyvans: 12:31pm On Jan 09, 2013
I think I crept into dat position during the end of last year. I was actually feeling very motivated and excited physically, mentally n spiritually. Until d middle of december wen I attended d 2nd stage of an interview @ kpmg which supposedly went well, only to get a message a week to christmas dat I wasn't successful. Ever since, my life jst dull. Even ma sis wedding came 3days past xmas, scaled thru ba working masef out. Wasn't so excited about entering the new year. In fact, I've done a lot of stuffs I jst cudnt believe I'd consider dis year. N still plannin to do more. May b till I come bak to ma senses
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by totalbaby(f): 12:32pm On Jan 09, 2013
smileyWow, thank you so much. I did not even think of it that way. I will definately pray about it and am grateful for ur prayers.
andyanders: Please, it's not right. Something is wrong. You need prayers because it could go beyond what you are experiencing now. You did the right thing to air your situation and as such, should take most advise from here serious and see how you can get out of it. For having your close ones complain about this act goes to show the extent. If you can watch Emmanuel TV on cable, you will see so many people who pass through same situation in which it was as a result of an attack.As such, you will need deliverance. You cannot be an introvert with your level of education and the current life style in an environment like ours could be a problem. Your partner's absence could be a problem since you are the quiet and reserve type. I pray God see you through and show you a way out.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by totalbaby(f): 12:41pm On Jan 09, 2013
I know rejection sucks but perhaps that was not meant to be where you were destined. Did u apply to other companies such as deloitte,Pwc and ernest n young or tried other meduim size firms. Have u finished your degree or are you still studying? If you are still studying I know they sometimes reject ppl that are not for the upcoming year. Just keep trying.
Emmyvans: I think I crept into dat position during the end of last year. I was actually feeling very motivated and excited physically, mentally n spiritually. Until d middle of december wen I attended d 2nd stage of an interview @ kpmg which supposedly went well, only to get a message a week to christmas dat I wasn't successful. Ever since, my life jst dull. Even ma sis wedding came 3days past xmas, scaled thru ba working masef out. Wasn't so excited about entering the new year. In fact, I've done a lot of stuffs I jst cudnt believe I'd consider dis year. N still plannin to do more. May b till I come bak to ma senses
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by rash47(m): 12:47pm On Jan 09, 2013
O.p, its happening to me right now,but not as before I got a job 2month ago it was as if I was just existing then,I wasn't feeling any impact of life at all.
Most importantly u need prayers in everything u do, somebody up there recomended d book 'why u act d way u do' yeah, I've read it and its interesting: showing different temperament of human being,it will help understand human behaviour more in our day to day activities, I think u 're more of a melancholy.
Also find time to engage in social activities,morever in life we all strive towards success but one thing is sure,no 2 people will follow thesame route. This might be the price you will b paying for greatness.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by andyanders: 12:47pm On Jan 09, 2013
totalbaby: smileyWow, thank you so much. I did not even think of it that way. I will definately pray about it and am grateful for ur prayers.

U welcome. There is nothing God cannot do. we pass through so many things we cannot seat down and figure out and our generation are been destroyed as a result of lack of knowledge. Out of envy, your close relations can become something else while they are the ones who has seen your future and wants to destroy you through depression.I tag them as ( You know me, You dey do me, and you dey pity me)Make Holly ghost fire destroy them. But they will not succeed as you are a daughter of God. You must have to come out of your present situation and confront this devil called depression.
Your God is greater than them. You will achieve your destiny and nobody can destroy your life in Jesus name,Amen.

1 Like

Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by totalbaby(f): 1:02pm On Jan 09, 2013
This is so true but I have nothing to fear as God is my shield and my protection. I think all the advice I have been given will really help me come out of it and with prayers I know that things will turn around. That is my wish for 2013
andyanders:

U welcome. There is nothing God cannot do. we pass through so many things we cannot seat down and figure out and our generation are been destroyed as a result of lack of knowledge. Out of envy, your close relations can become something else while they are the ones who has seen your future and wants to destroy you through depression.I tag them as ( You know me, You dey do me, and you dey pity me)Make Holly ghost fire destroy them. But they will not succeed as you are a daughter of God. You must have to come out of your present situation and confront this devil called depression.
Your God is greater than them. You will achieve your destiny and nobody can destroy your life in Jesus name,Amen.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by phineas: 1:06pm On Jan 09, 2013
Everyone experiences stressors at diff points in life,but having a healthy mind,not breaking under pressure or fear for me Ive learnt comes from having a postive attitude in all things,been hopefull for all things,having a good support group and not been afraid to ask for their support emotionally when needed and I must not lie,My faith in God that everything will turn out fine.

meanwhile on depression,the three main signs of depression,
Low mood,
Low energy
Loss of interest

Low mood-extremely moody or sad for known or unknown reasons,may cry for no exact reason.

Low energy-Feels tired,not really related to activity,just tiredness within.not having the ability to be excited enough to do anything.

Loss of interest-especially in anything he/she used to enjoy.eg football lover not been interested or having enough energy to watch the championship,u may call it boredom.

if one checks positive for all three,or at least 2,consider seeing a doctor.the others signs they say revolve around those threesigns.That said,its also noted that a good close friend you can talk to in the initial stage is as good as a psycologist but when that fails,to see the doctor.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? by totalbaby(f): 1:06pm On Jan 09, 2013
Am glad things have improved for you. Wishing you the best.quote author=rash47]O.p, its happening to me right now,but not as before I got a job 2month ago it was as if I was just existing then,I wasn't feeling any impact of life at all.
Most importantly u need prayers in everything u do, somebody up there recomended d book 'why u act d way u do' yeah, I've read it and its interesting: showing different temperament of human being,it will help understand human behaviour more in our day to day activities, I think u 're more of a melancholy.
Also find time to engage in social activities,morever in life we all strive towards success but one thing is sure,no 2 people will follow thesame route. This might be the price you will b paying for greatness.[/quote]

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can I Remove These Disturbing Marks? Pictures Included(graphic) / When Is Sex Ideal In Pregnancy? / Benefits Of Giant Milk Weed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.