Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,889 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:46 PM

Pineapple Peel - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Pineapple Peel (18312 Views)

Moin-moin: To Peel Or Not To Peel The Beans / Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises / Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pineapple Peel by dominique(f): 7:58pm On Apr 27, 2006
Do you know u can make pineapple juice from boiling the peels? Its very refreshing & i heard it is quite medicinal.
I made some juice earlier this month & i wasnt able to drink much (cos i was quite busy) & wen i decided to drink it after about 2 wks, it had compltely fermented! Since i was unsure if its not spoilt i decided to pour it away. Now i think i shudnt have cos i liked what i smelt.
Re: Pineapple Peel by hotangel2(f): 8:13pm On Apr 27, 2006
cheesy U like fermented juice?

Okay well, i've never heard of making juice with pineapple peels. The peels are the ones that itch right? Like when u rob em off on u, they make u itch. WHy would u wanna drink something like dat?
Re: Pineapple Peel by dominique(f): 9:20pm On Apr 27, 2006
Let me make myself clear. I boil the peel in water, sieve, then freeze. So i dont know what you are talking about when u mentioned itching. Plus i said i threw d fermented juice away though i liked what i smelt.

1 Like

Re: Pineapple Peel by glamrocka(f): 11:30pm On Apr 27, 2006
Taiwoabbzy

You right its refreshing, my mum used to make it and whe have it with ice cubes ad a bit of honey too its nice.

You threw it out? oh no its delich, how long did you leave it to ferment?

However mum said you had to use the ripened peel(yellow, or pinkish in colour)

2 Likes

Re: Pineapple Peel by eveseh(f): 7:15pm On Apr 30, 2006
i love it's sweet
Re: Pineapple Peel by lauryn(f): 6:36pm On May 29, 2006
My mother inlaw loves it.
Re: Pineapple Peel by kritikul(f): 3:59pm On May 09, 2009
pineapple peel is a natural pineapple flavor for making zobo. just boli it and sieve the juice. tastes real good.
Re: Pineapple Peel by dominique(f): 4:44pm On May 09, 2009
thanks for digging out one of my oldest posts kiss
Re: Pineapple Peel by ifyalways(f): 6:12pm On May 09, 2009
it sounds weird undecided Pineapple peels?
@Dominique,try it again and tell us what u think/how it went. smiley
Re: Pineapple Peel by dominique(f): 8:37pm On May 09, 2009
ifyalways:

it sounds weird undecided Pineapple peels?
@Dominique,try it again and tell us what u think/how it went. smiley

thats if i survive to tell the story, if not. . . .then i guess you'll never know tongue. i still make juice with pineapple peel, i just dont let it ferment.
Re: Pineapple Peel by mohawkchic(f): 11:00pm On May 09, 2009
~Hmm. . .I'll pass cheesy I'll stick w/ the juice itself or the fruit grin
Re: Pineapple Peel by yimiton(f): 9:48am On Apr 07, 2011
Pineapple drink from it's peel is one of the best wines I've ever tasted. It's so so nice that if people get to know this secret, pineapple peels will probably become more expensive than the whole.

To prepare:

Things you'll need:
pineapple skins
container
water
sugar
1 week

1. Place washed skins of one pineapple in a pot, add one liter and a half of water to it and boil for 30 minutes

2. Place the skins with the boiled water in a container.

3. Add sugar to your pineapple skins.

4. Seal your container and place underneath your sink or somewhere out of site

When you are done fermenting the pineapple skins strain the skins and
pieces and voila! you have a refreshing fermented pineapple drink!

Add water or ice to taste.

When I was 16, I got tipsy out of taking this drink because it was so sweet, I couldn't resist it.

Wish I'll get paid for this information! It's too sweet to be given out for free!!!

1 Like

Re: Pineapple Peel by ifyalways(f): 10:35am On Apr 07, 2011
yimiton:

Pineapple drink from it's peel is one of the best wines I've ever tasted. It's so so nice that if people get to know this secret, pineapple peels will probably become more expensive than the whole.

To prepare:

Things you'll need:
pineapple skins
container
water
sugar
1 week

1. Place washed skins of one pineapple in a pot, add one liter and a half of water to it and boil for 30 minutes

When I was 16, I got tipsy out of taking this drink because it was so sweet, I couldn't resist it.

Wish I'll get paid for this information! It's too sweet to be given out for free!!!
You definitely were high on the juice when u resurrected this thread cheesy

Seems this is going to be fun,wud try it this weekend.Sugar shld be optional right?
Re: Pineapple Peel by yimiton(f): 11:07am On Apr 07, 2011
@ ifyalways, lol. I wasn't high oh. I was looking for other ways of making fruit wines/drinks and I stumbles across this post. I was surprised that a lot of people didn't know about it.

Remember to
1. leave a little pineapple with the peels
2. sieve the drink to ensure that it's clean and healthy

U can also try lime and sprite if you love sour drinks.

It was served to me at Pataya (Thai restaurant) once and I got hooked.

To prepare:

1. Wash 2 limes
2. Cut them at the middle
3. Take out your orange squasher
4. squash the lime
5. Put some ice in a tall glass
6. Pour the sprite
7. Add the lime juice
8. Tune to your favorite DSTV station and enjoy your long glass of drink. I tell you, it's one of the most refreshing drinks ever!

1 Like

Re: Pineapple Peel by Nobody: 4:58pm On Apr 07, 2011
Yes, pineapple peel is used to make zobo.

Great drink. A bit syrupy but its great when chilled.
Re: Pineapple Peel by ifyalways(f): 1:42pm On Apr 11, 2011
Yay!

Soaked and waiting.
Re: Pineapple Peel by Anngirl: 3:44pm On Apr 13, 2011
can u use dis new type of pineaple I see everywhere now to make the drink? I mean d 'cotonou pineaple'
Re: Pineapple Peel by ifyalways(f): 6:56pm On Apr 14, 2011
I guess its ready . . .been soaked for 6 days now.

Here comes my First Sip,Cheers everyone . . . . . kiss kiss kiss kiss

Anngirl:

can u use dis new type of pineaple I see everywhere now to make the drink? I mean d 'cotonou pineaple'
Which one is Cotonou pineapple?The tiny ones undecided
Re: Pineapple Peel by Anngirl: 5:49pm On Apr 16, 2011
Yes, those slim straight ones.
Re: Pineapple Peel by Tem01(f): 6:15pm On Apr 16, 2011
I have soaked the pineapple for 4 days now and i used honey instead of sugar. Will it still come out fine?
Re: Pineapple Peel by ifyalways(f): 8:41pm On Apr 16, 2011
Tem01:

I have soaked the pineapple for 4 days now and i used honey instead of sugar. Will it still come out fine?
What do u mean?clarify pls.

Did u add sugar "before" soaking or u want to know if u can substitute sugar with honey?

I don't eat sugar and I did not use honey either and it came out fine.Basically,addition of sugar,honey or any other sweetner should be just before consumption.

@Anngirl,not sure abt that but I guess its Ok,pineapple na pineapple.
Re: Pineapple Peel by Tem01(f): 1:41pm On Apr 17, 2011
yimiton:

To prepare:

Things you'll need:
pineapple skins
container
water
sugar
1 week

I followed the above steps only that i used honey instead of sugar as stated in no 3 above.
Re: Pineapple Peel by ifyalways(f): 7:10pm On Apr 17, 2011
^Ah,Ok.

Guess I was the one that did mine wrongly,albeit it turned out fine for me.

SO,when wud urs be ready for consumption?
Re: Pineapple Peel by Tem01(f): 11:40am On Apr 18, 2011
I'm planning to open it on wednesday but my husband told me that the more it stays the better it becomes. I dont know how true that is anyway.

1 Like

Re: Pineapple Peel by ifyalways(f): 11:51am On Apr 18, 2011
Tem01:

I'm planning to open it on wednesday but my husband told me that the more it stays the better it becomes. I dont know how true that is anyway.
Mine was soaked for 7 days,6 nights.I think its better when it stays soaked for longer days undecided old wines,tastes better wink

Im planning on soaking another one morrow.

1 Like

Re: Pineapple Peel by BioTeck: 10:39pm On Feb 11, 2019
I wanna try this tomorrow
Re: Pineapple Peel by SURElee(f): 11:46pm On Feb 16, 2019
dominique:
Do you know u can make pineapple juice from boiling the peels? Its very refreshing & i heard it is quite medicinal.
I made some juice earlier this month & i wasnt able to drink much (cos i was quite busy) & wen i decided to drink it after about 2 wks, it had compltely fermented! Since i was unsure if its not spoilt i decided to pour it away. Now i think i shudnt have cos i liked what i smelt.

Very refreshing. When you soak the peels in water and leave to infuse and ferment. I even watched SIBA on footnetwork do it and she added yeast to hasten the fermentation process sef, sieve and refrigerate and drink with fruit garnishes.

Leave people wey no Sabi. We wey know go continue our jollification.
Re: Pineapple Peel by weedfada(m): 6:35pm On Feb 21, 2019
Boil the peels, add ginger, lime and add some original honey. Drink either hot or chilled. I swear if you don't get addicted, you no like better thing be that. Got the recipe from my SIL (she's a fitness instructor).
Re: Pineapple Peel by Nicolerichard: 9:12pm On Feb 21, 2019
weedfada:
Boil the peels, add ginger, lime and add some original honey. Drink either hot or chilled. I swear if you don't get addicted, you no like better thing be that. Got the recipe from my SIL (she's a fitness instructor).
I'll definitely try this. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Pineapple Peel by weedfada(m): 9:26pm On Feb 21, 2019
Nicolerichard:

I'll definitely try this. Thanks

You're welcome.
Re: Pineapple Peel by TamiOkoroDedeh(f): 7:07am On Apr 23, 2019
This used to be a family favourite when I lived in Nigeria. The only difference was I never had to boil the peel, I simply covered it in water, added sugar, covered the container tightly (Beware of ants!), and stored in a cool dark place for three days. Leaving it in the fridge may hinder the fermentation process, but you can chill it after three to five days, then strain before serving. It may smell a tad sour, but it tastes like palm wine made from pineapples. Very refreshing, too.
Re: Pineapple Peel by tabithababy(f): 10:48am On Apr 23, 2019
Am gonna try this kiss

(1) (Reply)

A Students' Food Time-table / Rising Cost Of Food: How It Has Changed My Eating Habit / Maggi Family Menu:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.