Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,057 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises (27011 Views)

Don’t Peel Off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises / Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On / Don't Wash Your Chicken Before Cooking - Health Researchers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by Rednaxelot: 4:09pm On Nov 26, 2013
A Dietician in the Department of Dietetics, University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Mr Peter Stephen, on Tuesday advised against peeling of yam before cooking it.

Stephen said in Benin that cooking yam with the skin reduced its sugar content.

He noted that yam and rice had high Glycemic Index (GI) which increased blood sugar level, and advised that yam should not be peeled before cooking to reduce the sugar content.
Yams being arranged for sale at Muda Lawal Market in Bauchi. NAN Photo

Yams being arranged for sale at Muda Lawal Market in Bauchi. NAN Photo

GI is a numerical scale used to indicate how fast and how high a particular food can raise blood glucose (blood sugar) level.

“The skin of yam that is normally peeled off contains proteins and vitamin B Complex.

“It also has soluble fibre that absorbs sugar inside the yam.

‘’When the yam is properly cooked, you peel off the skin before eating.

“When you cook your yam with the skin, it will not increase the blood sugar level.

“By the time you eat the yam with vegetables, it gives you a better result,” he said.

Stephen listed foods with low GI to include tomatoes, soya beans and beans.

He noted that such foods had natural substances lowered blood sugar level.

He advised people, especially diabetic patients, to mix foods with low GI with those with high GI in the ratio of 2:1 to maintain a good blood sugar level.

“Rice has high GI; so, if you want to eat it, mix it with food with low GI such as beans.

“If you take five spoons of rice, you have to take 10 spoons of beans to help to slow down the rate sugar is absorbed in the blood.

“Even if you are not diabetic, you have to control your sugar level because prevention is better than cure,” the dietician advised. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/11/dont-peel-yam-skin-cooking-dietician-advises/

1 Like

Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by Rednaxelot: 4:20pm On Nov 26, 2013
What about esuru(bitter yam), are we going to eat the peel with it?

With the way we are going with food, especially this yam and it's peel, goats and sheep may wage war against human.

22 Likes

Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by frankobaba(m): 4:45pm On Nov 26, 2013
Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by ikeokoye(m): 4:46pm On Nov 26, 2013
as goat nahhh

2 Likes

Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by Skywalker5(m): 4:46pm On Nov 26, 2013
frankobaba: .

Una don start

2 Likes

Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by freda506(f): 4:46pm On Nov 26, 2013
grin grin
Rednaxelot: What about esuru(bitter yam), are we going to eat the peel with it?

With the way we are going with food, especially this yam and it's peel, goats and sheep may wage war against human.

5 Likes

Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by NET1(m): 4:46pm On Nov 26, 2013
nothing wey person no go hear for dis obodo naija.

Last 4 months, one professor talk say make I no brush my mouth for morning.
Now, dis one talk say make I no peel off the back of my yam before i chop am.

too much book is making some peeps go senile.

.NET

4 Likes

Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by funkymedina: 4:47pm On Nov 26, 2013
brb
Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by Lilimax(f): 4:47pm On Nov 26, 2013
This reminds me of my grandmother's style of cooking yam.
She always cook her yam with the peel...
Who knows, she died at a very old age smiley.

12 Likes

Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by jayAjoku(m): 4:47pm On Nov 26, 2013
if this kind of advice get K _leg o
Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by lacicrips(m): 4:48pm On Nov 26, 2013
That's how we did it back in the village. And no, we didn't read this article, just pure laziness.

2 Likes

Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by GooseBaba: 4:49pm On Nov 26, 2013

LMAO...!!!!! "wage war" ......we don't want that..... Lol
Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by chux76(m): 4:49pm On Nov 26, 2013
If I hear
Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by bee444: 4:50pm On Nov 26, 2013
Since how many decades have we been cooking yam with skin peeled-off? Are the dietitians ok? Are they high on molly? WE burn yams without peeling the skin, cook potato without peeling off the skin, now you want me to cook yam without taking out all the rotten or scared part of the yam? Think again you suckers!!!

2 Likes

Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by Lilimax(f): 4:51pm On Nov 26, 2013

After cooking the yam, you'll definitely remove the peel before eating
which goes to the goats and sheeps grin

It's a win-win situation wink

2 Likes

Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by Briel33: 4:52pm On Nov 26, 2013
space booked make i peel my yam fist

7 Likes

Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by homesteady(m): 4:52pm On Nov 26, 2013
What of if the yam has thorny rough skin?
Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by missterious(f): 4:52pm On Nov 26, 2013
Ok
Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by nerodenero: 4:54pm On Nov 26, 2013
The learned minds are always confused about their submissions or should I say laws, rules, inventions etc. The Benin Doc is as confused as his colleagues. If his submission is true, then what of hygiene? How hygienic is cooking yam with thorny back filled with sand?It seems there is no ending to these confusions.

1 Like

Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by thatchick: 4:57pm On Nov 26, 2013
Is it hygienic? Wt all d dirt,u boil then peel and eat,thanks but no thanks,I prefer peel and cook.
Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by KaceeDcontrol(m): 4:58pm On Nov 26, 2013
Many people commenting here dont seem to understand what is being said. He didn't say you should eat the yam with the back, he said you should cook with the back and then peel the yam after cooking.

3 Likes

Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by Mickey7(m): 4:58pm On Nov 26, 2013

please read the post. thanks
Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by mustaphagreens(m): 4:59pm On Nov 26, 2013
Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by TUNEX89(m): 5:02pm On Nov 26, 2013
Rubbish!
Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by Mickey7(m): 5:02pm On Nov 26, 2013
KaceeDcontrol: Many people commenting here dont seem to understand what is being said. He didn't say you should eat the yam with the back, he said you should cook with the back and then peel the yam after cooking.
thank you..I'm sure most of them dint read past the first line..if it's not tonto dike we are not interested smh

1 Like

Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 26, 2013

grin grin
Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by Nikapetrelli(f): 5:07pm On Nov 26, 2013
No wonder my frnd insists on cooking yam n oil without peeling d back of yam
Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by crackhaus: 5:07pm On Nov 26, 2013
nerodenero: The learned minds are always confused about their submissions or should I say laws, rules, inventions etc. The Benin Doc is as confused as his colleagues. If his submission is true, then what of hygiene? [s]How hygienic is cooking yam with thorny back filled with sand?It seems there is no ending to these confusions.[/s]
You won't eat the bark with it, and it is washed thoroughly to remove sand before cooking.

As regards the topic, it is true about the high sugar thing present in yam boiled after peeling.
However, if you're not diabetic and without a family history of it, then by all means go ahead with eating your yam the way you like it.

2 Likes

Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by Saraben(f): 5:08pm On Nov 26, 2013
d devil I don't know evil not kil me..so I will just pretend I did not see DAT post

1 Like

Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by Willgates(m): 5:10pm On Nov 26, 2013
lol....dat dietician must be a very lazy man
Re: Dont Peel-off Yam Skin Before Cooking, Dietician Advises by whisper88(m): 5:12pm On Nov 26, 2013
Wash d yam wif da back, cut to required size add salt n cook..... Shikena. Am I at s front page?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bkr Small-chops Price List / How Much Does Your Favorite Bread Cost In Your Area? / A Curious Bachelor's Own Version Of Eforiro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.