Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,081 members, 7,957,039 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 05:38 AM

Suggestions For Credible Alternatives To Jonathan In 2015 Elections - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Suggestions For Credible Alternatives To Jonathan In 2015 Elections (8691 Views)

PDP Govs, Senators, Reps Begin Search For Credible National Chair / Open Letter To Jonathan: Asari Dokubo Replies Obasanjo / A Picture Of President Jonathan In His Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Suggestions For Credible Alternatives To Jonathan In 2015 Elections by DeepSight(m): 2:45pm On Jan 11, 2013
Demdem: This isnt English class and my highlighting such suggest such. It was a message i was trying to pass from both words. Yes it was Treason but Nigerians wanted it as at then

There is NO such thing as acceptable treason, PERIOD!

And the acceptance of such by the Nigerian population at the time wreaked havoc for 16 years. Period.

Aside from being illegal.

Look, the mood of a population does not justify such brazen illegality. If GEJ was overthrown in a military coup today (albeit impossible and unlikely) there will be vast swathes of the population who would celebrate. That would not make it either legally or morally right. And yes, it would re.tard the progress of the nation.

At all events: the point remains the same: Buhari committed an act of treason and the only reason he has not been tried is the fact that Nigerian Leaders are corrupt, conspiratorial, and fearful.

As such, no sensible person should recommend him for public office; you should recommend him for prison.

Nop, and my post didnt suggest such. Read carefully and understand what i meant. The Buhari takeover was unfortunately acceptable to most Nigerians then because they were fed up with the status quo. It wasnt the best of approach as it is known to us now however it was common then as a way out not only in Nigeria but in the whole continent.
Secondly, Apartheid cant be compared to coup. Dont do that

Do not make me believe you are this dense. The comparison re: apartheid arose from the specific point you made about the support of Western Powers. As such, the question is whether such support validates or exonerates wrongs?

lets be civil please. dont need to bring up ur family to this discussion

Again, you miss my innuendo. Far be it from me to discuss your family who I do not know. My innuendo was simply that a man who shows no respect for his society is embarrassing his entire family, period. No offense meant to your literal family, which I was not referring to.

But Buhari wasnt the first military man that seize power from a democratic government in Nigeria, was he? And by the way does it matter? is that the reason why he should be blamed for the excesses of IBB, Abacha and Abubakar? I dont think so.

He was not the first: but EVERY living person who has done such should be tried, if we have any respect for ourselves. As far as I can recall anyway, the first persons to do such are all dead.

And no; I am not blaming him for the excesses of IBB and Abacha. I am simply reminding you that the coup that brought Buhari to power truncated a democratic government. No matter how corrupt that government was, if democracy had continued un-uninterrupted, we would be the better for it today. And the core point remains that he is unqualified to seek democratic office for that simple act. Much the same way as IBB's annulment of June 12 renders him odious as a presidential candidate under a democracy. If you cannot see this, then like most Nigerians, you have no conscience, judgement or perspective. Period.

By the way, IBB should also be tried for his participation in the coup that brought the democratic government of Shagari to an end. Period.

He may not be our best bet however considering our present challenges coupled with our so limited choices that we realisticallyhave, its politically expedient to bring in this lesser evil that has the capability to break us off from the present status quo. By the way, probably for another day, its on record Buhari wasnt a coup plotter but the primary beneficiary of the coup. Ask ur history teacher and u would be told about what transpired.

Nonsense.

If he wasn't a coup plotter then as Head of State, he should have renounced the coup as an army officer and re-instated the democratic government and had the coup plotters tried; no?
Re: Suggestions For Credible Alternatives To Jonathan In 2015 Elections by DeepSight(m): 2:45pm On Jan 11, 2013
Repeated Post
Re: Suggestions For Credible Alternatives To Jonathan In 2015 Elections by Demdem(m): 3:33pm On Jan 11, 2013
Deep Sight:

There is NO such thing as acceptable treason, PERIOD!

i never said there is. However it passed a message which u u have decided to ignore. Yes it was treason based on our law books but as at then Most Nigerians wanted it. That to me is "acceptable Treason"

And the acceptance of such by the Nigerian population at the time wreaked havoc for 16 years. Period.

Even the acceptance of shagari when he was voted in caused havoc. These are decisions and each country has an history that are meant to fashion the future. It was a trying time for us and not that we have outgrown this, no one hopes to go back to such again. The populace decided what they wanted and they face the consequences. period.

Aside from being illegal.

Look, the mood of a population does not justify such brazen illegality. If GEJ was overthrown in a military coup today (albeit impossible and unlikely) there will be vast swathes of the population who would celebrate. That would not make it either legally or morally right. And yes, it would re.tard the progress of the nation.

I never doubted that. Fine it was illegal but the people (majority) who the law seeks to protect thought otherwise as at then. Dont compare Now to then, its a different ball game entirely. exposures differs and knowledge has now increased.

At all events: the point remains the same: Buhari committed an act of treason and the only reason he has not been tried is the fact that Nigerian Leaders are corrupt, conspiratorial, and fearful.

Yes an "acceptable treason" that form part of our growing phase as a country. it wasnt the best of approach though as it is known to us today. If leaders refuses to try him, am sure citizens like u can claim in the law court that u are affected by the regime can sue him to court

As such, no sensible person should recommend him for public office; you should recommend him for prison.

On the contrast, its only non sensible peeps that will believe nothing good can ever come from him just because he did what the majority of his country men wanted from him despite the fact that it was against the law books.

Do not make me believe you are this dense. The comparison re: apartheid arose from the specific point you made about the support of Western Powers. As such, the question is whether such support validates or exonerates wrongs?

Good to know u arent comparing both apartheid and coups. they arent on the same pedestral however no matter how we want to detest the western powers, they tend to have their ways somehow in developing world even much more as at then. That was the message i was trying to pass across. ur hatred is definately affecting ur comprehension skills.

Again, you miss my innuendo. Far be it from me to discuss you family you I do not know. My innuendo was simply that a man who shows no respect for his society is embarrassing his entire family, period. No offense meant to your literal family, which I was not referring to.

Good to know. There is no disrespect against the society if one's sees a way out of the present mess and suggest such. Knowing fully well that even from the mistakes of the past, there is still something good that could be beneficial for the present. Only u alone and those within ur line of thought thinks otherwise.

He was not the first: but EVERY living person who has done such should be tried, if we have any respect for ourselves. As far as I can recall anyway, the first persons to do such are all dead.

So since they havent been tried, should we live our lives again? are u saying without them being tried there is no hope for us as a country again? I have challenged u to pick up the baton and raise the flag. Initiate the proceedings. u have the right to do so.

And no; I am not blaming him for the excesses of IBB and Abacha.

But u attributed the subsequent 16yrs afterwards to his decision right?

I am simply reminding you that the coup that brought Buhari to power truncated a democratic government. No matter how corrupt that government was, if democracy had continued un-uninterrupted, we would be the better for it today.

And i have also told u that as at then it was a norm that was generally acceptable though illegal not as we have it today. Above all, the govt was for the people, if the vast majority feels that is the destiny they have decided to choose for themselves in their own country what and who is that law made for stop that will stop them. we have learnt from our mistakes and its wrong for u to even conclusively states that we could have been better off if it wasnt truncated. its simply 50-50. a lot of things could have happened chief among which is disintegration.

And the core point remains that he is unqualified to seek democratic office for that simple act.

U are wrong again. Nothing in our law books today disqualifies Buahari from being voted for. Ur hatred cant change that fact.

Much the same way as IBB's annulment of June 12 renders him odious as a presidential candidate under a democracy. If you cannot see this, then like most Nigerians, you have no conscience, judgement or perspective. Period.

Ur Opinion that should be shred completely. in as much as i dislike IBB, if he decides to pick up the ballot today and contest, nothing stops him. Not my hatred or urs. u better wake up to present realities.

By the way, IBB should also be tried for his participation in the coup that brought the democratic government of Shagari to an end. Period.

Sue him to court ursef since our leaders have failed us if u feel its not a futile effort

Nonsense.

If he wasn't a coup plotter then as Head of State, he should have renounced the coup as an army officer and re-instated the democratic government and had the coup plotter tried; no?

u are now beginning to talk like a kid. Renounced a coup in the presence of very powerful coup plotters who did what the majority wants and u still his head will still remain on his neck? Abegii apply wisdom jor.

Again, Dont get me wrong here, am not for coups but as at then, what Buhari did though against the laws of the land was generally acceptable and welcomed. [size=22pt]The law is made for man and not vice-versa.[/size]

Re: Suggestions For Credible Alternatives To Jonathan In 2015 Elections by Madasisteve: 4:07pm On Jan 11, 2013
[b][/b]
lanre_front: Did hear you say you voted for because of the lack of a better candidate. Mr. Pastor, that is a big lie and you know it.

There was a better candidate. You could have voted for. But just like most Nigerians, you were carried away by sentiments and the "I had no shoes" campaign of Mr. Jonathan.

You voted not out logic" reasoning, but you voted on nothing but sheer sentiments. You did not even bother to look at the antecedents of the contestants.

As for me I voted for Buhari and I am proud of my decision.

Like a poster said, why not add a little realism to your choice Presidents for 2015. Buhari had a good chance to be President in the last elections. Another one is coming in 2015.

I say Buhari is the most qualified to rid Nigeria of the monster of corruption. He has the willpower, passion, clout to deal with the corrupt big guns holding Nigeria in slavery. After him others will follow to continue the good work, but we need home to lay the foundation for a Nigeria free of corruption and indiscipline.

You only deceive yourself if you think the likes of Fashola can break the back of the monster, corruption, in Nigeria. Is it Fashola who is Tinibu's boy, and together with his Godfather, they are stealing Lagos State bind?
shocked
lanre_front: Did hear you say you voted for because of the lack of a better candidate. Mr. Pastor, that is a big lie and you know it.

There was a better candidate. You could have voted for. But just like most Nigerians, you were carried away by sentiments and the "I had no shoes" campaign of Mr. Jonathan.

You voted not out logic" reasoning, but you voted on nothing but sheer sentiments. You did not even bother to look at the antecedents of the contestants.

As for me I voted for Buhari and I am proud of my decision.

Like a poster said, why not add a little realism to your choice Presidents for 2015. Buhari had a good chance to be President in the last elections. Another one is coming in 2015.

I say Buhari is the most qualified to rid Nigeria of the monster of corruption. He has the willpower, passion, clout to deal with the corrupt big guns holding Nigeria in slavery. After him others will follow to continue the good work, but we need home to lay the foundation for a Nigeria free of corruption and indiscipline.

You only deceive yourself if you think the likes of Fashola can break the back of the monster, corruption, in Nigeria. Is it Fashola who is Tinibu's boy, and together with his Godfather, they are stealing Lagos State bind?
Much as I like to agree with you, to vote without sentiments in our effort to rid the nation of the monster call corruption and under-developments, I totally disagree with you on your comment on Tinubu and Fasola. Can you produce any single prove or fact on what you’ve said? And if you don’t, you are already guilty of the same offence as those who voted GEJ sentimentally and the result is abysmal performance.
Always get your fact right avoid bandwagonism.
Re: Suggestions For Credible Alternatives To Jonathan In 2015 Elections by alamkah: 5:35pm On Jan 11, 2013
Pastor Kun: It seems the buhari gang are gloating here, despite my regrets about Jonathan I would still vote for him ten times before I vote for buhari who I consider to be a very tribalised religious fanatic who has absolutely nothing to offer Nigeria. People continue to deceive themselves that buhari is capable of fighting corruption, they forget that in 1983 when he did it he was wielding military power and ruling by decree which made it easier. Today it's much more complex and buhari would not know were to start from. Asides that people also forget that it was Idiagbon who was effectively in charge and not the dummy called buhari. Lastly I keep on wondering how buhari who could not curtail corruption in a small organisation like PTF want to curb in a much bigger and far more complex entity like Nigeria.

My vote for GEJ was becos I believed he was committed to power reforms which is one of the biggest problems ravaging our economy. I never really saw him as an inspiring person. Today I remain vindicated cos of the steady progress in the power sector. That not withstanding GEJ has over stayed his welcome. It's time to search for a better replacement and an old conceited septugerian who couldn't perform on his own in his youth would definitely not fit the bill.
Iam surpprisd that u pple now blievd ur votes can count. Is that not a credit 2 GEJ? Dis 4 me is one of d greatest achievement of diz administratn an very fundamental 2 our emancipation. Free an fair election is d foundation 2 nigeria,s greatness.
Re: Suggestions For Credible Alternatives To Jonathan In 2015 Elections by Omokaro2acca: 5:57pm On Jan 11, 2013
They say the Devil we know is far far far better than the Angel we see.
GEJ for 2015.

The easiest job to do is to criticise a person, but when given the job u find out you can't do it.
Re: Suggestions For Credible Alternatives To Jonathan In 2015 Elections by DeepSight(m): 7:43pm On Jan 11, 2013
@ Demdem, please at least quote and comment with the proper tags.

As regards our discussion, just answer me this simple question.

1. There is a coup today and GEJ is removed from office

2. Let us assume for the sake of argument that the majority in Nigeria are happy with the coup

3. Should the military officers involved be tried for treason in future or not?

Answer me.
Re: Suggestions For Credible Alternatives To Jonathan In 2015 Elections by anulaxad(m): 10:06am On Jan 12, 2013
Ujawissy: @ anulaxad how did u think investing in infrastructures can strife in the face of corruption?what we need nw is to erradicate corrupt practices

One country says it all: Venezuela.

tell me what you find when you research about this country.But let me give you a hint:ONE OF THE MOST CORRUPT COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD.
HOW? IT FOUND OIL BUT DOES THAT NECESSARILY MEAN IT'S GOING TO DISTURB THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE COUNTRY NO.

THEY WERE BLESSED WITH AN AMAZING LEADER HUGO CHAVEZ.

ON A SERIOUS NOTE,WHAT YOU SAID I CAN TOTALLY UNDERSTAND,BUT NO. wink
Re: Suggestions For Credible Alternatives To Jonathan In 2015 Elections by Ujawissy: 11:25am On Jan 12, 2013
I understant wat u are trying to say anuxalad but can u compare venezuela with contries like America and China who were once corrupt but were able to abberate it. i want to put it to u that if development can strife in d face corruption then wat is holding us? Corruption is just like a habit once one is corrupt there won't let go suppose money for infrastructures. Pls get it right we have against dis ugly monster called CORRUPTION.
Re: Suggestions For Credible Alternatives To Jonathan In 2015 Elections by PastorKun(m): 12:05pm On Jan 12, 2013
I repeat for the umpteenth time that even though corruption is our biggest problem in this country buhari is incapable of fighting it effectively in a democratic dispensation. The success 'he' had in fighting it when he was a military leader was becos he had Idiagbon with him who was the real performer and they were ruling by decree. In the democratic govt it's much more complex as you have a corrupt national assembly ready to impeach you if you fight to had. Buhari is a brutish dictator who not capable of operating effectively as a civilian leader. All at 70 plus he would certainly be bereft of ideas to move this nation forward. What we need is a young dynamic leader who is ready to spear head the rapid development of Nigeria whilst keeping corruption in check. Buhari would at best throw this country back by fifteen years given his archaic mentality.
Re: Suggestions For Credible Alternatives To Jonathan In 2015 Elections by PastorKun(m): 12:07pm On Jan 12, 2013
Would appreciate more credible suggestions, the irrelevant buhari issue is just an unfortunate distraction.
Re: Suggestions For Credible Alternatives To Jonathan In 2015 Elections by anulaxad(m): 12:40pm On Jan 12, 2013
Ujawissy: I understant wat u are trying to say anuxalad but can u compare venezuela with contries like America and China who were once corrupt but were able to abberate it. i want to put it to u that if development can strife in d face corruption then wat is holding us? Corruption is just like a habit once one is corrupt there won't let go suppose money for infrastructures. Pls get it right we have against dis ugly monster called CORRUPTION.
Yes of course I can.
Venezuela is a fast developing country.

What's holding us back is bad leadership.
no more to it.

Once corrupt please,the same china that the people don't have power to choose there own government,the same america that's trying to bring the wiki leaks founder down by claiming all sorts of bull because his revealing all there dirty secrets.

Even the UK where I live is fuuucking corrupt.But they choose to invest infrastructure so there won't be any complaining that there is bad governance,
and trust me I shall know because of the job I consist with.

IBB WAS CORRUPT RIGHT?

BUT DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT HE DID FOR NIGERIA.HE DID NOT ONLY BUILD MOST OF THE STABLE INFRASTRUCTURE WE HAVE TO TODAY BUT HE TOLD NIGERIA,THAT INVESTMENT IN INFRASTRUCTURE CAN CHANGE EVERYTHING.
Re: Suggestions For Credible Alternatives To Jonathan In 2015 Elections by Demdem(m): 4:32pm On Jan 12, 2013
Deep Sight: @ Demdem, please at least quote and comment with the proper tags.

What do u mean? dont understand u.

As regards our discussion, just answer me this simple question.

1. There is a coup today and GEJ is removed from office

2. Let us assume for the sake of argument that the majority in Nigeria are happy with the coup

3. Should the military officers involved be tried for treason in future or not?

Answer me.

Majority of Nigerians cant be happy with it because times have change. The people are much more exposed, much more knowledgeable and empowered than the 70's and 80's when it was common. The probability that there will be a coup now is much more lower than then so its wrong for u to compare and that's the message have been trying to pass across.

Because of this exposure and change in times, its much more difficult for one general somewhere to succeed. Of cos, if it happens now, such will most likely be tried for treason and punished. Not because it was legal then, but because it was much more acceptable than now. That is a major difference u will have to consider.

Again i state, the times have changed. And that cant be ignored.

Re: Suggestions For Credible Alternatives To Jonathan In 2015 Elections by Demdem(m): 4:45pm On Jan 12, 2013
Pastor Kun: Would appreciate more credible suggestions, the irrelevant buhari issue is just an unfortunate distraction.

[b]The earlier u realize that we have very little viable alternatives the better for u. Wish u luck in ur search. For now, Only Buhari cant sort out the corruption mess u identified is our primary problem.
Be it military or civillian, he has done it before and that is an undisputed fact. If u like, distort facts and attribute it to Idiagbon, so be it at least its on record that he sanctioned it.

We need to understand that the fight against corruption should start from the top. A responsible leader that leads by example and it will surely trickle down with time, not from bottom to top. Buhari surely can lead by example in that regard.

U accused him of not being capable to succeed in a democratic setting. how are u so sure? have u tested him in this regard and found him wanting? if he doesnt believe in a democratic setting, will he continue to subject himself to the rules? OBJ succeeded as military and democratic, why cant Buhari? so far both yaradua and retardeen still cant meet up with what OBJ acheived so far.

U talk about young dynamic leader and yet the ones u have suggested so far cant in anyway solve the menace of corruption u have identified. U better wake up to present day realities. Buhari is no saint, neither is he perfect but if u are indeed looking for someone that will rigourously fight this corruption then he is surely ur man. [/b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Keyamo Withdraws From Delta Senatorial Race / BREAKING!!! IPOB Members Stage Heavy Protest In Aba, Defy Military Presence(pix / Popular Broadcaster Steve Kadiri Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.