Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,906 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:44 AM

Lion Going Extinct In Africa - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Lion Going Extinct In Africa (973 Views)

Security Officers Pose With The Dead Lion Killed In Jos (Pictured) / Are Front Page Topics/threads Going Extinct? / Rare Photographs Of Some Extinct Animals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lion Going Extinct In Africa by engrtee(f): 1:14am On Jan 10, 2013
From dailypost nigeria internet newsqer

The west African lion is on the verge of extinction, according to experts after a marked decline in recent years.
It is estimated there are just 645 genetically distinct wild lions left in western and central Africa, with as few as 34 remaining in the whole of Nigeria.
Now experts from conservation group LionAid say they are ‘in real danger of extinction’.
According to the group, there are no lions left in 25 African countries and populations arebarely surviving in ten.
Clusters of lions remain in Burkina Faso, Niger, the Central African Republic, Cameroon and Chad but are already extinct in countries such as Ghana, The Ivory Coast and Togo.
Thirty years ago there were 200,000 lions roaming wild across the continent – but now there are only between 15,000 and 32,000 left.
West African lions have been largely forgotten due to political apathy to conservation.
Dr Pieter Kat, trustee of LionAid, told The Guardian: ‘There has been a catastrophic decline in the populations of lions in Africa, and particularly west Africa.
‘These lions have been neglected for a very long timeand do not have adequate protection programs.’
He said the west of the continent is often ignored in favour of eastern Africa, leading to a decline in species.
The lion is threatened by a range of factors, including loss of habitat, loss of naturalprey due to poaching, ‘unsustainable levels of trophy hunting’ and human conflict.
A new threat is also on the rise as lion bones are being used to supply the demands of Asian traditional medicine as tiger bones become more scarce.
In Nigeria a government wildlife official told The Guardian that the number of lions in the country had dropped from 44 in 2009 to a meagre 34.
Yohanna Saidu from Nigeria’s interior ministry told the newspaper they are trying to protect the lions but admitted to being ‘very concerned’.
Dr Kat said it would now be impossible to build up a population of lions in Nigeria and therefore the species should be classed as extinct there as well.
The picture is similar in other countries. In Senegal, the LionAid said there are just 40 lions left.
The charity said there are only five ‘viable’ populations – those of 1,000 or more – lions left on the continent.
Three of those are found in Tanzania and Kenya, with the remaining populations surviving in South Africa and Botswana and Zimbabwe.
Recent studies on African lion populations show that about three-quarters of Africa’s savannah has disappeared over the past 50 years
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by jaymichael(m): 2:10am On Jan 10, 2013
lion dey for Nigeria? for zoo or for yankari game reserve?
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:43pm On Jan 10, 2013
34 LIONS IN NIGERIA!!!!!!!! WTF?!!!

NIGERIANS LETS DO SOMETHING! angry angry angry angry
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by CrazyMan(m): 3:13pm On Jan 10, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
34 LIONS IN NIGERIA!!!!!!!! WTF?!!!

NIGERIANS LETS DO SOMETHING! angry angry angry angry
What do you want us to do? sad

The lions should be grateful that they are even up to 34...cos with the way slippers wearing Nigerians are hungrily hunting them down, I foresee a total extinction in the near future. sad
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:18pm On Jan 10, 2013
we can go meet the foret officials ,etc., and ask them to bring about some reforms and push them to action

suggestions include:

barbed wire fence surrounding sanctuaries
breeding programmes
well armed rangers
well equipped patrol guards
educating of forest dwellers

etc, .
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by CrazyMan(m): 9:40pm On Jan 10, 2013
And when the government refuses to pay the forest officials as its in their habit to always do so, and maintenance fee to keep the zoo in shape isn't forthcoming, the zoo would become a shadow of itself, and the forest officials would end up using the lions as meals....Nigeria is a Joke.
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:49pm On Jan 10, 2013
Recently, the Gulf Arabs brought the Arabian Oryx out of Extinction. THe Indians brought the Indian Rhinoceros out of extinction and now also the Royal Bengal Tiger. When wil we Nigerians do something for our animals
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by CrazyMan(m): 10:26pm On Jan 10, 2013
Sorry bro...they (the government) haven't repaired our roads, they haven't given us uninterrupted power supply, they haven't equipped our hospitals, they haven't upgraded our universities...etc.

With all this glaring set backs on their part, do you expect them to buy lions out of extinction?

Surely Nigerians would riot if such a thing happens...cos it would be a direct message to us that lions are more important to them than our lives.
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:28pm On Jan 10, 2013
CrazyMan: Sorry bro...they (the government) haven't repaired our roads, they haven't given us uninterrupted power supply, they haven't equipped our hospitals, they haven't upgraded our universities...etc.

With all this glaring set backs on their part, do you expect them to buy lions out of extinction?

Surely Nigerians would riot if such a thing happens...cos it would be a direct message to us that lions are more important to them than our lives.

the countries i mentioned also face the same problems. not everything is glittering gold there.

ofc the death of lions is mor imporant then roads and power supply! angry
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by CrazyMan(m): 10:37pm On Jan 10, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
the countries i mentioned also face the same problems. not everything is glittering gold there.
True but you can't compare them with Nigeria...Nigeria is far worse than them.
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:39pm On Jan 10, 2013
i dont know. i wish things go alright. sad
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by CrazyMan(m): 10:58pm On Jan 10, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
i dont know. i wish things go alright. sad
Things would become alright when we uphold our honour and shun bribery, corruption, tribalism, religion differences...etc.

Nigeria cannot work when we can't even say hi and chat with our fellow hausa or Yoruba neighbour.

Nigeria cannot work when we can't embrace our muslim and christian brethren.

The process to a better Nigeria begins with us. And until we realize that, Nigeria would keep on sinking deeper and deeper until her hopes are completely vanished.

I feel its high time we wake up and save this Nation.
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:05pm On Jan 10, 2013
CrazyMan:
Things would become alright when we uphold our honour and shun bribery, corruption, tribalism, religion differences...etc.

Nigeria cannot work when we can't even say hi and chat with our fellow hausa or Yoruba neighbour.

Nigeria cannot work when we can't embrace our muslim and christian brethren.

The process to a better Nigeria begins with us. And until we realize that, Nigeria would keep on sinking deeper and deeper until her hopes are completely vanished.

I feel its high time we wake up and save this Nation.

NIgeria will ONLY work if islam & xtianity are kicked out. those bloody troublemakers! angry
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by CrazyMan(m): 11:32pm On Jan 10, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
NIgeria will ONLY work if islam & xtianity are kicked out. those bloody troublemakers! angry
This is exactly what I stressed out...instead of being hostile on them, why not embrace them?

Hate wouldn't solve our problems...we love each other in order for peace and progress to reign.

If you keep advocating for a total annihilation of christianity and islam, then you're indirectly calling for a bloody war.
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:38pm On Jan 10, 2013
CrazyMan:
This is exactly what I stressed out...instead of being hostile on them, why not embrace them?

Hate wouldn't solve our problems...we love each other in order for peace and progress to reign.

If you keep advocating for a total annihilation of christianity and islam, then you're indirectly calling for a bloody war.

I am not calling for annihilating the PEOPLE. im calling for annihilating the IDEOLOGY. for that i am u dertaking missionary work.
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by CrazyMan(m): 11:52pm On Jan 10, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
I am not calling for annihilating the PEOPLE. im calling for annihilating the IDEOLOGY. for that i am u dertaking missionary work.
And what makes you feel christianity is a myth that should be annihilated?
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:49am On Jan 11, 2013
CrazyMan:
And what makes you feel christianity is a myth that should be annihilated?

its a religion that worships man. it must be annihilated. it is a slow poision , unlike islam which is an open explosive.
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by manmustwac(m): 7:18am On Jan 11, 2013
I didn't even know Nigeria had a lion population & to hear that there's only 34 left is so sad to someone like me who loves watching wildlife documentaryscry
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by CrazyMan(m): 7:19am On Jan 11, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
its a religion that worships man. it must be annihilated. it is a slow poision.
Is this your theory on christianity based on your assumptions, unconfirmed facts...etc. Or are you speaking as someone who was once a Christian but gave up his salvation due to lack of faith.

Which category to do you belong to?
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by greatgod2012(f): 8:39am On Jan 11, 2013
@op, wetin we even need d lions for sef!
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:30am On Jan 11, 2013
CrazyMan:
Is this your theory on christianity based on your assumptions, unconfirmed facts...etc. Or are you speaking as someone who was once a Christian but gave up his salvation due to lack of faith.

Which category to do you belong to?

I am speaking based on facts and experience. no im not a convert. i am a born Pagan.
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:30am On Jan 11, 2013
greatgod2012: @op, wetin we even need d lions for sef!

wetin we need you for?
Re: Lion Going Extinct In Africa by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jan 11, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

ofc the death of lions is mor imporant then roads and power supply! angry

Amen! Spot on!

(1) (Reply)

You've Gotta See This Pix!! [Today's Past] / Dr Aafia Siddiqui- Sad True Incident (PHOTO) / May God Bless Our Doctors- Ebola Treatment Center In#‎kailahun‬ ‪#‎sierraleone‬.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.