Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,853 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow (2000 Views)

Match Making Church Opens In Lagos / Gay Church Opens In Igboland / Redeemed Church Opens World's Biggest Auditorium, Costs N7.7b (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by MajeOfficial: 6:56am On Jan 11, 2013
London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow

Mallory Ortberg

JAN 5, 2013 11:36 AM

The first comedian-founded atheist church in England is set to hold its first monthly service tomorrow. Pippa Evans (a "musical improv comedian"wink and Sanderson Jones (just a regular talking comedian) came up with the idea together.

Quote:
"We thought it would be a shame not to enjoy the good stuff about religion, like the sense of community, just because of a theological disagreement," said Mr Jones, who recently became the first person to sell out the Sydney Opera House by personally selling all tickets by hand.
The image of Sanderson Jones selling Sydney Opera House tickets "by hand," presumably while standing outside the building itself on the night of each performance, trying to talk passers-by into coming inside, is almost unbearably charming. Not to mention the fact that he refers to the differences between Christianity and atheism as a "theological disagreement," like a Lutheran discussing font etiquette at a garden party.

Jones called it "part atheist church" and "part foot-stomping show" that will meet once a month. Tomorrow's service features guest lecturer Andy Stanton, author of the Mr. Gum children's books.

The church, of course, is not without controversy; a Catholic parish priest in Finsbury said to reporters that while it's "important" to engage with non-believers, "for them to establish a church like any other religious denomination is going too far. I'm cautious about it." Only in England would a Catholic priest refer to an atheist church as something to be "cautious" about, as though he's willing to be surprised and delighted by it, because you never know.

Sanderson Jones has similarly modest expectations: "we just want people to feel encouraged and excited when they leave."

[Image via AP]

http://gawker.com/5973377/londons-fi...?post=55856423
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by Afam4eva(m): 7:01am On Jan 11, 2013
How can athiets have their own church if they don't believe in Christ. Abi, what's the meaning of Church again?

1 Like

Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by fkaz(m): 7:10am On Jan 11, 2013
Hope they won't collect offering and tithes?
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by Maxymilliano(m): 7:16am On Jan 11, 2013
This will be a good piece of news for Logic Boy...
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by tobechi74: 7:21am On Jan 11, 2013
Y church? Not mosque or shrne
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by mankevo(m): 7:29am On Jan 11, 2013
smileyAm sure our Soyinka will be waiting anxiously to see how the process plays out.

Just being humorous, no sentiment attached!!
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by Nobody: 7:42am On Jan 11, 2013
afam4eva: How can athiets have their own church if they don't believe in Christ. Abi, what's the meaning of Church again?
Church is a building that houses christian worshippers..
White people and madness,i wonder why it wasn't called athiest mosque.
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by dridowu: 8:02am On Jan 11, 2013
nne3870:
Church is a structural building that houses christian worshippers..
White people and madness,i wonder why it wasn't called athiest mosque.
wit tme athiest mosque will cme out also
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by Slizbeat(m): 8:34am On Jan 11, 2013
Lmao, Atheist church ko? Atheist mosque ni. So they really think they would take over the world and drive away religion? It should be atheist shrine and not church. Church is a building set up to host the body of christ and the a place where christians meet to glorify God, listen to his words e.t.c, in essence, a living church is the body of christ.
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by AtheistD(m): 10:15am On Jan 11, 2013
Cant you see the sarcasm. This is all a bit of fun to them. Ppl can gather for any reason they want.

They call it church to highlight their former background xtianity wink

PS. It is the UK... if they try any nonsense tithe collecting they will be arrested quick time. smiley
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by Nobody: 10:16am On Jan 11, 2013
It will probably be as useless as the Church of Christ..

Humans will always try to take advantage of the gullible... Smh...

Anyways, it's comic relief...
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by kasheemawo(m): 10:30am On Jan 11, 2013
Confused religion:gay church,lesbians church,naked church now atheist church.
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by JeSoul(f): 4:24pm On Jan 11, 2013
I thought atheism was not a religion?

1 Like

Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by AtheistD(m): 4:27pm On Jan 11, 2013
JeSoul: I thought atheism was not a religion?

It aint wink
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jan 11, 2013
Atheism has always been a religion.

With this trend, next thing we know , these militant atheists will start crusades and the burning of heretics at the stake grin

2 Likes

Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by JeSoul(f): 4:31pm On Jan 11, 2013
Atheist:-D:

It aint wink
Okay oh smiley. I think someone needs to remind those atheists starting the church that atheism is not a religion and should not act like one.

2 Likes

Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by AtheistD(m): 4:37pm On Jan 11, 2013
frosbel: Atheism has always been a religion.

With this trend, next thing we know , these militant atheists will start crusades and the burning of heretics at the stake grin

Lol. I like that. A shout out to our xtian roots grin

JeSoul: Okay oh smiley. I think someone needs to remind those atheists starting the church that atheism is not a religion and should not act like one.

They are having a laugh. They are more or less mocking in a sweet way religion. Wait until the church opens up and check it out yourself. The fact that comedians are responsible should highlight to you the purposes.... for comic relief. tongue
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jan 11, 2013

That was how all religions started cheesy just watch....that's the beginning of a new religion right there!
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by AtheistD(m): 5:24pm On Jan 11, 2013
Ghettoguru:

That was how all religions started cheesy just watch....that's the beginning of a new religion right there!

Hmmm.....

Would you join it if it became a religion tongue
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by Enigma(m): 5:30pm On Jan 11, 2013

I have a "quote" for you. wink

From https://www.nairaland.com/966459/arming-faithful-against-logic/4#11182579

Enigma: . . . in one of the older debates, Jesoul said something that I agree with: ordinarily we would not dignify atheism or even evangelical atheism with the status of religion. For me, however, the present intellectual, political and legal realities as well as the statements, actions and activities of evangelical atheists themselves (including the fundamentalists among them) mean I must accept the situation that evangelical atheism is indeed a religion --- no matter how unpalatable I and others may find that. smiley

cool
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by AtheistD(m): 5:36pm On Jan 11, 2013
Enigma:

Keep trying dude.

The religion of NO religion undecided
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jan 11, 2013
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by JeSoul(f): 7:50pm On Jan 11, 2013
Ghettoguru:

hehe cheesy

Enigma:

Haha...on point!!
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by JeSoul(f): 7:58pm On Jan 11, 2013
Logicboy03: Richard Dawkins doesnt agree with it

https://www.nairaland.com/1159542/richard-dawkins-rejects-atheist-church#13790365
Atheist daddy G.O. has spoken cheesy hope the followers have heard.

5 Likes

Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by AtheistD(m): 8:02pm On Jan 11, 2013
JeSoul: Atheist daddy G.O. has spoken cheesy hope the followers have heard.

Why are xtians so hellbent on tagging atheism a religion?
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by JeSoul(f): 8:05pm On Jan 11, 2013
Atheist:-D:

Why are xtians so hellbent on tagging atheism a religion?
Uhm not quite. See below. Some of us actually think atheism is unworthy of the term religion.

Enigma:

Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by Enigma(m): 8:11pm On Jan 11, 2013
JeSoul: Atheist daddy G.O. has spoken cheesy hope the followers have heard.

grin

Only as this is England he may be more like the +Cantaur +Cantuar (I'm showing off!) who can often be ignored by some of his supposed 'flock'.

By the way if the Church of Atheism people choose to collect tithes nobody is going to arrest them for doing so; presently loads of fraudsters and even convicted fraudsters are collecting tithes in the UK and noone is doing any gaaadeeeem thing about it. smiley
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by AtheistD(m): 8:13pm On Jan 11, 2013
JeSoul:
Uhm not quite. See below. Some of us actually think atheism is unworthy of the term religion.

Worthy or unworthy it isnt a religion. Now we can get down to more serious issues grin
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by Enigma(m): 8:16pm On Jan 11, 2013
JeSoul: hehe cheesy

Haha...on point!!

Yep, indeed; and that seems to be the attitude taken by the American Supreme Court and Court of Appeal when they ruled that atheism is a religion under the American Constitution. smiley
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by Delafruita(m): 8:19pm On Jan 11, 2013
frosbel: Atheism has always been a religion.

seeing as christianity already filled the record books with such attrocities,i doubt atheists would bother re-enacting such feat

1 Like

Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jan 11, 2013
Wow, its rare to find Jesoul so troll-happy!

Carry on, sister!
Re: London’s First Atheist Church Opens Tomorrow by JeSoul(f): 8:30pm On Jan 11, 2013
Enigma:

grin

Only as this is England he may be more like the +Cantaur (I'm showing off!) who can often be ignored by some of his supposed 'flock'.

By the way if the Church of Atheism people choose to collect tithes nobody is going to arrest them for doing so; presently loads of fraudsters and even convicted fraudsters are collecting tithes in the UK and noone is doing any gaaadeeeem thing about it. smiley
cheesy the irony. They will need 'donations' from 'members' to open the planned 'branches' all over the country...ghettoguru don talk am:
Ghettoguru:

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Did God Forbid Sex Before Marriage If He Made It So Pleasant? / Female Not Covering Their Head In The Church Is It Biblical? / Much Ado About Giving And Receiving

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.