Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

7 Facts About The North - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 7 Facts About The North (46836 Views)

Why Is Their A Decline In The Use Of Other Languages In The North? / The Problem With Nigeria Is The North / Who Says The Hausas Are Not Nice; My Experience In The North (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Facts About The North by felixzo1(m): 3:22pm On Feb 09, 2013
Mavrick2012: (1) Their are about 73 DIFFERENT languages in Taraba state alone,48 in Plateau,60 in Bauchi,58 in Adamawa,57 in Kaduna,38 in Niger,29 in Nasarawa and 28 in Borno.

(2) Apart from Sokoto and Zamfara state, EVERY other state in the north has indigenous Christian population.

(3) Except Benue,kogi,plateau,Niger and Borno,the remaining 14 state's heads of traditional councils are all Fulanis.

(4) The sultan of sokoto is the only traditional leader that occupy's the highest number of offices in Nigeria:head of sokoto state traditional council,head of northern traditional council,chairman of the traditional council of Nigeria,head of Nigeria's muslim umma(congregation) and co-chairman of Nigeria's interfaith council.He also functions in various offices common with Nigerian traditional and religious leaders.

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode](5) A traditional Tiv man allows his "special" visitor or relation to make love to his wife[/font].

(6) After "sekin uku",i.e third divorce,a northern muslim can remarry his divorced wife only if she (a) marry's another man,(b)have sex with him atleast once and (c)get a divorce from that man.

(7) Boko haram was founded and being run by Kanuris (not Hausa/Fulanis)

i wonder where people get such information from, i believe there are niaraland members living in benue that can confirm what i am saying. i have livened in benue for more than 15 years but i have not seen such , i only here such stories outside benue.i am not sure it was part of tiv culture in the past. i wonder where ou got your FACTS froms.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Orikinla(m): 3:29pm On Feb 09, 2013
If the traditional Tiv man's wife is very pretty and sexy I may not refuse the offer in order not to disrespect him. But I will certainly use condoms. grin
Re: 7 Facts About The North by caesaraba(m): 3:40pm On Feb 09, 2013
felixzo1:

i wonder where people get such information from, i believe there are niaraland members living in benue that can confirm what i am saying. i have livened in benue for more than 15 years but i have not seen such , i only here such stories outside benue.i am not sure it was part of tiv culture in the past. i wonder where ou got your FACTS froms.

Try explaining that to a bunch of people who base intelligence on how loud a person can shout.

Just let 'em talk.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by kutchs: 3:46pm On Feb 09, 2013
What do you mean by no 4?
In Taraba State, the head of the traditional council is the Aku Uka of Wukari a Jukun. Except you want to claim that he has Fulani forefathers otherwise he‘s a pure blooded Jukun.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 3:47pm On Feb 09, 2013
gbosaa:

I wish you were tiv.we,ll be friends and i,ll be coming to visit you and your wife at pecknarm....THREE TIMES EVERYDAY..

Most women are sluts, anyway... If you think you're the only one fvcking your wife, or girlfriend, then you need your head examined...

Hey, I don't need to be TIV for you to sh.ag my chic, if your game is tight, you'll sh.ag any chic out there - married/dating.... grin

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 3:48pm On Feb 09, 2013
Metallurgist: according to the oldest chuch marry was 11 yrs old when she became pregnant with jesus, ans has to undergo the normal pregnancy and delivery, if God dont see anything wrong in an inpregenating an eleven yr old girl at that time i wonder why he will critisized it now, Xtain ar hypocrate for attacking islam on underage married as their books and authorities speak in favour, just because satanic atheist ar against a thing the chuch complice.imagin gay/female pastors in chuches, one wonder why the stories of lot ar doing in the bibble shm on xtains and xtainity,
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 3:48pm On Feb 09, 2013
It's surprising to hear even learned people still hold onto very unfounded, baseless and untrue notion that Tiv people entertain visitors with their wives. It has never happened in history of Tivland. This shows d guy who posts this is uninformed about d true culture of various Nigerian tribes and not sure of his facts thereby misleading many.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nuzo1(m): 3:48pm On Feb 09, 2013
Should this be two years ago, I wouldve jumped into the next bus to Tivi-land and make friends with the whole village men. tongue

God at work with my soul. He aint finished yet! wink
Re: 7 Facts About The North by pearl360(f): 3:51pm On Feb 09, 2013
sad
PAGAN 9JA:

Hausa is catching up these days. but what is annoying is that, many non-Hausa tribes are becoming Hausaized and losing their own languages. sad
Yea... true talk! Like me cant even speak my language, just hausa and english.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:56pm On Feb 09, 2013
pearl360: sad

please dear, you must learn your language. That is LAW!

and this is coming from a Hausa man! angry

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by Bellozicobichi: 4:12pm On Feb 09, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Hausa is catching up these days. but what is annoying is that, many non-Hausa tribes are becoming Hausaized and losing their own languages. sad
hausas are very much minor in no only that they don't make their language 2 b a secrate when e ver there needs for discassion
Re: 7 Facts About The North by kjhova(m): 4:25pm On Feb 09, 2013
Certain errors in the original post but a nice thread all the same. The bottom line is that History or Sociology is never absolute fact. It only gets better with sensible debates & increased research. The Tiv myth has been on forever despite that almost nobody has ever witnessed such act!

I once met an imigration man while serving in Ekiti State. Everyone called him "Alhaji" as he is pure fulani from Katsina. It was a pleasant surprise for me to find out that he is christian and his entire village on the border with Niger Republique are christians too!

As for Boko Haram, yes, the original founders (i.e. Yussuf & co.) were mainly Kanuri from Yobe/Bornu. However, it appears that this organization has swelled over time to include fulanis, hausas & members from many other ethinicities including foreigners from Niger, Tchad, Mauritania, Mali etc.

Lastly, many Southern youth need to delete most of the junk the older generation passed down to them about the North and press the reset button in their relations with Northern Nigeria. My wife is from the North and its absolutely amazing what I know today about that region in comparism to 4 years ago.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by aktunde(m): 4:34pm On Feb 09, 2013
(1) Their are about 73 DIFFERENT languages in Taraba state alone,48 in Plateau,60 in Bauchi,58 in Adamawa,57 in Kaduna,38 in Niger,29 in Nasarawa and 28 in Borno.

(2) Apart from Sokoto and Zamfara state, EVERY other state in the north has indigenous Christian population.

(3) Except Benue,kogi,plateau,Niger and Borno,the remaining 14 state's heads of traditional councils are all Fulanis.

(4) The sultan of sokoto is the only traditional leader that occupy's the highest number of offices in Nigeria:head of sokoto state traditional council,head of northern traditional council,chairman of the traditional council of Nigeria,head of Nigeria's muslim umma(congregation) and co-chairman of Nigeria's interfaith council.He also functions in various offices common with Nigerian traditional and religious leaders.

(5) A traditional Tiv man allows his "special" visitor or relation to make love to his wife.

(6) After "sekin uku",i.e third divorce,a northern muslim can remarry his divorced wife only if she (a) marry's another man,(b)Be Intimate with him atleast once and (c)get a divorce from that man.

I wish I belong to that Tiv tribe. I will always be the visitor. By the time I visit the houses of all the men with pretty wives, I will take my own and move out of that crazy community. No one will ever pay me a visit. I will ensure that I invest in wild dogs. Visit me at your own risk

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:43pm On Feb 09, 2013
honeric01: A friend wrote this:

Yobe is not ruled by Fulani, Neither is Bauchi, Kaduna, Nassarawa and Taraba. Infact very few Northern States mostly the North Western States have a Fulani Emir. Some of the Emirs are of Hausa Descent, I may need to research the exact number of Fulani Emirs.
We also have to consider the "Hausa Bakwai, Banza Bakwai Myth". As you have stated, Hausa and Fulani are 2 different Ethnic groups

True. The ruler of Yobe is the Mai Potiskum of the Ngizim Ethnic Group. The other ruler is the Mai Fika of the Bole Tribe.

Kaduna: The current Emir of Zazzau (Zaria) is Fulani. The True Hausa Saarkin Zazzau , descendant of Saarkin Gunguma of the true Bakwai, currently resides in Abuja and still holds the title of SAarkin Zazzau, though he rules the ABuja-based Suleja Emirate.

Bauchi: The Lamido of Bauchi is of the Gerawa Tribe. He holds the Fulani title of Lamidi because his ancestor Yakubu was a brainwashed Commander of the Fulani jihad.

Nasarawa: The Emir of Lafia Beriberi is of the Kanuri tribe and a desendant of the Kanem Bornu Empire. Emir of Keffi (Fulani), Emir of Nasarawa (Fulani), Arren Eggon (Eggon Tribe), Andoma of Doma (Doma Tribe), Osana of Keana (Keana Tribe), Sangari Awe (Awe Tribe), Chun Mada (Akwanga Tribe), Oriye Rindre (Wamba Tribe), Ohimege Opanda (Toto Tribe), Esu Karu (Karu Tribe), Abagi Toni (Kokona Tribe), Osukwo Obi (Obi Tribe).

There are also many Pagan Igbiras but i think there headquarter is in Kogi.

Most of The smaller Pagan States have recently been created after the division of the larger Emirates of foreign origin. Nasarawa is largely a Pagan state. In the 1960's Nasarawa had a 50-60% Pagan population, but due to Nigerian Kolo mentality, this has decreased to 20% or so, atleast nominally. I Pagan 9Ja will work to increase this % and i hope fellow Nigerians will cooperate with me on this so we can achieve our goals of 100% Pagan Nigeria.

Taraba state: Aku Uka of Wukari (Jukun Tribe).

Note: The Hausa BAkwai/Banza Bakwai is not a myth. please dont call it that. It is a historical fact.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by tolagbemi: 4:44pm On Feb 09, 2013
mazaje:

Some of your facts are wrong. . Taraba state does NOT have 73 different tribes, same with Bauchi, it does NOT have up to 60, Bauchi has less than 15. . .The state with the highest number of tribes in the north is Plateau state and the number is about 60. . .
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][size=8pt][/size][/b]WONDERFUL,[b][b][/b]WHAT DO EXPECT FROM OTHER CULTURE? HOW DO YOU THINK THAT CAN SIT DOWN AND AGREE OVER ANY ISSUE? DON'T INFECT US WITH US WITH WHATEVER YOU ARE CARRYING FROM YOUR BACKGROUND.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:58pm On Feb 09, 2013
Warlord3000:

I did served in Patigi.. But last time I checked, the nupe tribe of Patigi is in kwara.. Separated by the river-niger from Bida?

Most of them are still in Patigi and are spread in Niger state. They do live in Kwara but not as many as in Niger.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by patanjaly: 5:23pm On Feb 09, 2013
I think the only fulani emirs in north are those of Adamawa, Gombe, muri in taraba state. Cos the other emirs can not be called fulani but hausa cos they cannot speak d fulani lang. N their culture is that of d hausas not the fulanis. So to be sincere even d sultan is a hausaman not a fulani man.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:29pm On Feb 09, 2013
patanjaly: I think the only fulani emirs in north are those of Adamawa, Gombe, muri in taraba state. Cos the other emirs can not be called fulani but hausa cos they cannot speak d fulani lang. N their culture is that of d hausas not the fulanis. So to be sincere even d sultan is a hausaman not a fulani man.

NO. that is wrong. it is blood and ethnicity that matters. a wolf clothed in sheepskin will still forever remain a wolf.

(Note: i dont intend any negative connotations here associated with these animals.)

Sultan Lamidi Sokoto is a Fulani.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by danjalingo: 5:37pm On Feb 09, 2013
the head of traditional rulers in Taraba state is the Akuuka of Wukari, he is Jukun not Fulani.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nwunuken(m): 5:42pm On Feb 09, 2013
bokohalal:

Interesting. I had thought it was only Emir Bauchi that was fullblooded Hausa but not necessarily a Bayajida descendant.
Bauchi Emir is fullblooded Housa.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nwunuken(m): 5:46pm On Feb 09, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

who told you that? Emir Bauchi is Fulani. His ancestor was one of the commanders of Usumane Dan Fodio.
Bauchi one of few ruling house rule by Hausa. check d history of Bauchi emirate.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by danjalingo: 5:47pm On Feb 09, 2013
[quote author=pearl360] sad

too bad!
Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:49pm On Feb 09, 2013
Nwunuken: Bauchi one of few ruling house rule by Hausa. check d history of Bauchi emirate.

as i said before, he is Gerawa holding a Fulani title. now the Gerawa are similar to us Hausa since we are both Chadic Sahelian.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nwunuken(m): 5:50pm On Feb 09, 2013
fellis:

Wow.

I was wondering if the rumors I heard about this practice are actually true.
How disgusting.
In this day and age people are still using their wives to serve as entertainment for visitors.
do not try it in benue dat was in history
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 5:57pm On Feb 09, 2013
Real-Mccoy:

Exposed northerners that are free of politics and religion are better friends than most southerners. When it comes to business they are more transparent. I agree with all you just said.

TRUE talk bro, they're so HUMBLE .
Re: 7 Facts About The North by ijawcitizen(m): 5:59pm On Feb 09, 2013
Mavrick2012: (1) Their are about 73 DIFFERENT languages in Taraba state alone,48 in Plateau,60 in Bauchi,58 in Adamawa,57 in Kaduna,38 in Niger,29 in Nasarawa and 28 in Borno.

LIES........most of these languages are dialects of a fewer number of languages......The history/origin/ancestry of the various people are not so divergent, so it can be conviniently said that the BROAD ETHNIC CLASSIFICATION IN EACH OF THESE STATES ARE NOT UP TO TEN (10)

Mavrick2012:

Lies......Every northern state have indigenous christian population more so in the sokoto emirate where a sokoto man-Most Rev.Hassan Martin Kukah is the catholic bishop of sokoto diocese
Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:02pm On Feb 09, 2013
wth is an indigenous christian? there is no such thing. you can only be an indigenous Pagan. angry

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by bamosagie(m): 6:07pm On Feb 09, 2013
Ngutor: It is good that the op labeled those 7 things facts and not truths. Someone once argued that that all truths are facts but not all facts are truths, but thats talk for another day.
Speaking as a tiv man I would say the op is uninformed or being mischievous. You can try to inquire from those that served (NYSC) in Benue state, perhaps they will give you a little insight of how many peoples wives they were offered to make thier 1year stay worth the while.
PLEASE we should not just write things because we have access to a device and internet, we should write to share accurate knowledge that would enlighten minds

I spent nine years in Makurdi, though I never enjoyed the benefit of having intercourse with another man's wife, I know that such culture exist.
Only it is not WIDELY practiced anymore.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by mrvictor: 6:18pm On Feb 09, 2013

(5) A traditional Tiv man allows his "special" visitor or relation to make love to his wife.

(6) After "sekin uku",i.e third divorce,a northern muslim can remarry his divorced wife only if she (a) marry's another man,(b)have sex with him atleast once and (c)get a divorce from that man.

Half Education + "Mis-education"!!! ...mostly assumptions not facts. I suggest proper research!!!
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Orikinla(m): 6:25pm On Feb 09, 2013
shymexx:

Most women are sluts, anyway... If you think you're the only one fvcking your wife, or girlfriend, then you need your head examined...

Hey, I don't need to be TIV for you to sh.ag my chic, if your game is tight, you'll sh.ag any chic out there - married/dating.... grin

Only the fear of God prevents many guys from banging many married women in Nigeria, because they are so loose.
I mean why should a neighbour's wife be competing with single girls for your attention and checking you out whenever she sees you?
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Buchianom(m): 6:26pm On Feb 09, 2013
Nice article @OP,but the culture of a Tiv man givin out his wife for hospitality no longer exists. I did my NYSC there$neva witneSsed or heard of such.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by hollypagan: 6:46pm On Feb 09, 2013
AnanseK:

And Christian male embarassed priests are marrying boys now! Or at least violating them.
ask nairalanders why muslim adult men wear pampams they cant do without putting thier stick in another muslim hole that is their kora code

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yusuf Bayero Is Dead! Emir Of Kano's Uncle Dies / Unoaku Anyadike Visits The Ooni Of Ife (photo) / Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.