Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,529 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:54 AM

7 Facts About The North - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 7 Facts About The North (46801 Views)

Why Is Their A Decline In The Use Of Other Languages In The North? / The Problem With Nigeria Is The North / Who Says The Hausas Are Not Nice; My Experience In The North (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Facts About The North by Toktee(m): 6:54pm On Feb 10, 2013
gowaga68:
oga dont be offened but can you prove him wrong? I dont like talkin much but know this fact am Hausa by tribe but got lots of cousin's from nearly all the major tribes in Benue and Taraba. Mun fa tiv!
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Toktee(m): 6:57pm On Feb 10, 2013
gowaga68:
oga dont be offened but can you prove him wrong? I dont like talkin much but know this fact am Hausa by tribe but got lots of cousin's from nearly all the major tribes in Benue and Taraba. Mun fa tiv!
I dont nid to pruf anythng,i urge hm to visit benue to verify the story,for nw is a lie.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by digospel2: 10:37pm On Feb 10, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Hausa is catching up these days. but what is annoying is that, many non-Hausa tribes are becoming Hausaized and losing their own languages. sad

That was Danfodio idealogy. But no shaking my brother, the days of ignorance is over. We in the middlebelt will continue to resist their dominance. I rather adopt English in my house than boko haramic language.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by tellmoon(m): 12:01am On Feb 11, 2013
half minded pple imagine d impossibilities as realities. pls, do find time, visit a tiv man & make an attempt on his wife. maybe d man will giv u an award. a trial wil convince u.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by hakunamatata1: 2:13am On Feb 11, 2013
caesaraba:

And you are a southerner? This is surprising! shocked shocked shocked
...an original omo eba-odan nile oluyole.
omo a joro sun
omo maja maja lojosi ti won fi kara 'waju leru
Re: 7 Facts About The North by IG: 9:25am On Feb 11, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

YOU ARE MISTAKEN! i know that for a fact because i have lived among the pure Bedouin Arabs for quite a long time and i know their geneology lists and history. The Shuwa are a coalition of Arabic-speakin African tribes (Fura, Fallata, Gurraan , Zaghawa, Nuba,etc.) along with a few African/Arab mixed tribes and Nubians. This does NOT include the Bedu Abbaela Tribes.

The Kanuri are a larger ethnic group that consist of the tribes you named. Just as Hausa is a larger Ethnic group and consists of many sub-tribes.

about al-amin, ive already explained before.

the story of descent of Nigerian groups from the middle-East are ALL myths. there is no written acount in our case. the geneology is all forged after the advent of islam. please dont give me this bullsh!t argument that the entire world was black and Arabs were originally black and Egyptians were originally black and all this sickening bull****. the Turks and Persians never came as far as the Trucial Coast, forget Najd, the Hadhramut and Yemenm, the heartland of Arab Civilization. The turks that too came later.

are you saying these fill-blooded Arab tribesmen are all Imposters? let me remind you that they have a lineage probably even older than yours. you are another racist akata influence creature :

the black Arabs in Arabia today are all of mixed descent with slaves. i saw your useless links. THe first picture itself was a give away. it is of the Sultan of Oman, a slave trader and a descendant of a Zanzibari slave trader (African) and an Arab woman from Muscat. there you go.

PAGAN, About the Shuwa, I tell you they are different from the Zaghawa, Fur, etc. I know this because I'm a Borno man and have visited Chad Republic several times. The latest being last month.
About Al-Amin Elkanemi, as I told you. I'm a Borno man and we are the only part of Nigeria that have more than a thousand years of written history. So I think there is no point of us arguing over that. His name Elkanemi is another way of him saying that he is a Kenumbu man. That is why his deal with the Mai in giving his colony of students to protect the empire has the condition of rewarding him with the leadership of the Kanembu tribe. In the old Borno empire, regions were mostly named after the people occupying it. For example Tibesti was mostly occupied by Toubou, Kanem by Kanembu, Chari by the Garrhie etc.

About those Arabs whose pictures you posted. Yes, many of them are imposters. The same way the whites took over North Africa, they did before in Arabia. The story of slave descent of black Arabs was just a racist twist of history. And many Afrocentrist support that story because it buries the fact that the black Arabs were the ones that started enslaving the whites. Especially Slavs who they call Saqalib. They park their harems with white concubines which led to the children of the elite turning out to be mulatoes and then white over a few generations. The greater majority of white population came with the influx of Persians and then later Turks when the Ottoman Empire ruled over Arabia. This is a fact that most of us try hard not to accept but even the first Europeans that came across Arabs described them to be as Black as Charcoal. There are even European paintings of Arabs that showed them to be the same in looks as Black Africans.

Here are some of the old paintings of Arabs by Europeans. We may not agree on this but I tell you. They are not myths. If we do not stop this tactical encroach on all lands occupied by blacks. One day people will wonder when you tell Nigerians used to be black. No racism here, just the straight truth.

The last one is Umar Mukhtar (Lion of the desert). You can see he is more black than is white.

Re: 7 Facts About The North by logica(m): 10:18am On Feb 11, 2013
IG:
About those Arabs whose pictures you posted. Yes, many of them are imposters. The same way the whites took over North Africa, they did before in Arabia. The story of slave descent of black Arabs was just a racist twist of history. And many Afrocentrist support that story because it buries the fact that the black Arabs were the ones that started enslaving the whites. Especially Slavs who they call Saqalib. They park their harems with white concubines which led to the children of the elite turning out to be mulatoes and then white over a few generations. The greater majority of white population came with the influx of Persians and then later Turks when the Ottoman Empire ruled over Arabia. This is a fact that most of us try hard not to accept but even the first Europeans that came across Arabs described them to be as Black as Charcoal. There are even European paintings of Arabs that showed them to be the same in looks as Black Africans.

Here are some of the old paintings of Arabs by Europeans. We may not agree on this but I tell you. They are not myths. If we do not stop this tactical encroach on all lands occupied by blacks. One day people will wonder when you tell Nigerians used to be black. No racism here, just the straight truth.

The last one is Umar Mukhtar (Lion of the desert). You can see he is more black than is white.
The only problem is, the subjects of the paintings are men of the 19th century. That's way too recent.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:52pm On Feb 11, 2013
IG:

PAGAN, About the Shuwa, I tell you they are different from the Zaghawa, Fur, etc. I know this because I'm a Borno man and have visited Chad Republic several times. The latest being last month.
About Al-Amin Elkanemi, as I told you. I'm a Borno man and we are the only part of Nigeria that have more than a thousand years of written history. So I think there is no point of us arguing over that. His name Elkanemi is another way of him saying that he is a Kenumbu man. That is why his deal with the Mai in giving his colony of students to protect the empire has the condition of rewarding him with the leadership of the Kanembu tribe. In the old Borno empire, regions were mostly named after the people occupying it. For example Tibesti was mostly occupied by Toubou, Kanem by Kanembu, Chari by the Garrhie etc.

listen, try to understand what im saying! The Shuwa are a federation of Arab-speaking Chadic Sahelian and Sudanese tribes! its too complicated.
About Elkanemi, i do not dispute the fact that he is Kanembu.

Now lets get to the main point regarding the Arabs. I POSTED PICTURES! OF LIVING PEOPLE! YOU >. . . .. POSTED PAINTINGS! THAT TOO THOSE DONE BY EUROPEANS! SO PRAY TELL ME WHICH ONE IS MORE BELIEVABLE?!!

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS WHITE VS BLACK IN THE ORIENT! STOP BRINGING YOUR RACIST THEORIES HERE! ALL THE WHITES ARE NOT ALLIED! YOU CANNOT SAY THAT IRANIANS FOR EG., ARE CONSPRING WITH BRITISH WHITES! WHITE IS JUST SKIN COLOUR! AFROCENTRICS ARE MAJORITY OF TIMES, A BUNCH OF LIEING FOOLZ WHO CANNOT BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY AND ARE ONLY INTERESTED IN THEIR RACIST IDEOLOGY AND ANTI-TRIBAL BELIEFS!

Black Arabs did not enslave whites but were instead slaves themselves. IVE BEEN TO OMAN AND ALL THOSE OMANIS WHO ARE OF ZANZIBARI DESCENT AND OF DARK COMPLEXION WILL TELL YOU OF HOW THEY WERE BROUGHT AS SLAVES AND THEY EVEN SING AND DANCE IN SWAHILLI.

SLAVIC PEOPLE?!!! WTF? STOP DISTORTING HISTORY! SLAVS ARE AN ETHNIC GROUP WHO EARNED THE NAME DUE TO SOME OF THEIR NUMBERS BEING ENSLAVED BY EARLY ROMANS!

WTF WHERE DO YOU COME UP WITH THESE BULLSH!T FAIRYTALES?!

HAVE YOU SEEN THE BEDU! THE REALITY IS FAR DIFFERENT FROM THAT SHOWN IN ARABIAN NIGHTS FAIRYTALES!

THEY DONT HAVE HAREMS! THEY ARE NOMADS AND THEY SLEEP UNDER THE SKY OR 2 PIECES OF CLOTH! WTF NOW PERSIANS!

PERSIANS ARE ARYAN-SARDIC PEOPLE! THE PERSIANS HAVE ALWAYS LOOKED UPON THE ARABS WITH CONTEMPT AS WAS EVIDENT BETWEEN THE MEETING OF KING YAZDEZARD AND THE 1st ARAB CONQUERORS. THESE ARE 2 UNRELATED CULTURES!

THE TURKISH OTTOMANS CAME RECENTLY A FEW 100 YEARS BACK! AND THAT TOO ONLY AS FAR AS MECCA! THEY NEVER REACHED TRIBAL OMAN AND YEMEN!

WHAT FACT?! THIS IS BULLSH!T! I CAN BLIV THIS YOU MADE UP ALL THIS STUFF!

WHAT BLACK AS CHARCOAL! TUFIA!

SHOW ME THIS USELESS QUOTE!

PLEASE STOP THIS RACISM! WE NIGERIANS ARE NOT BLACKS! ONLY AKATAS ARE BLACKS! WE ARE TRIBALS! TRIBESPEOPLES! WITH OUR OWN DISTINCT IDENTITIES! STOP TRYING TO WIPE THAT FROM US AND ASSIMILATE US! YOU ARE NO DIFFERENT FROM THE WHITES WHO TRY TO ASSIMILATE US TOO!

AND YOUR LAST PIC OF UMAR MUKHTAR! WTF?! HE IS NOT EVEN FROM THE ARAB GULF STATES!

HE IS A LIBYAN! LIBYA IS IN AFRICA! SURROUNDED BY DARK SKINNED PEOPLE! THERE MIGHT HAVE BEEN SOME MIXING DOWN THE LINE! LIBYAN ARABS ARE NOT PURE ARABS! MOST ARE MIXED WITH BERBERS,ETC. AND BTW THAT PIC IS BLACK AND WHITE! HE DOESNT LOOK AFRICAN! AFRICANS RARELY HAVE SUCH A KIND OF FACIAL HAIR!
Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:03pm On Feb 11, 2013
SINCE YOU REJECT PICTURES AND PHOTOGRAPHS AS YOU DOUBT THEIR AUTHENTICITY, ILL GIVE YOU PAINTINGS. YOU WANT PAINTINGS OF ARABS YES HERE ARE YOUR PAINTINGS!

[img]http://2.bp..com/-h4SN3c7u8lI/Tl6JyWFpOcI/AAAAAAAANDc/FGYiqtvZUck/s1600/Bedouin.jpg[/img]

Re: 7 Facts About The North by Seun(m): 8:52pm On Feb 14, 2013
omo_to_dun: Chei, if only there were a culture where the woman can give her husband out as "refreshment" to her female visitors, I for don go marry from that culture.

Serving me as entertainment to her female guests? I am in.

174th to comment, so I give all the glory to Obatala in the mighty name of Jesus.

What if they are obese, ugly, smelly, and obnoxious and you still have to sleep with them?
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 10:07pm On Feb 14, 2013
Re: 7 Facts About The North by naijaboyof4life(m): 6:47am On Feb 24, 2013
gst101: it not the way you people see it, tiv. That practice is no longer found among them that is if it was ever found.

from our judeo-christian mentality, looking at what we acuse the tiv people of doing, we may get the wrong impression. They did not do it for imorality and abuse of the woman no! They did it (if they ever did) to show hospitality and pls dont laugh. That was the rationale behind it. It will be very wrong to judge the people with our judeo-christian thinking.

It is just like judging jews in the time of jesus for marrying underaged girls. Jesus' mother was underaged when she got married and had a son.

Mary was not under-aged for her time because of the life expectancy at that time. Just like how women used to get married at 17, 18 back in the days but now people marry at their 20s.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by nat138: 3:50pm On Mar 29, 2013
The ignorance of our generation amazes me, this is simple ignorance displayed on this thread. It is so sad that a thread meant to be educative has managed to be dragged in to a tribal bashing thread. It is really pathetic, please my fellow young Nigerians, our generation is supposed to be the most informed generation of the whole lot with the amount of information we have at our disposal. Lets make adequate use of such information to do away with myths that have somehow found their way to being paraded as truth.

This is one reason why I will advise the education Ministry if I had my way to make History a compulsory subject of study from primary to secondary school levels and at least as a compulsory general studies course in the first year of university.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by bilms(m): 6:47pm On Apr 01, 2013
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Fulaman198(m): 5:35am On Jul 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

who told you that? Emir Bauchi is Fulani. His ancestor was one of the commanders of Usumane Dan Fodio.

All of the figure heads Emir/Sultan and Lamido are always Fulani ethnically, that is correct.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Fulaman198(m): 5:37am On Jul 28, 2013
[quote author=ckkris][/quote]

No such thing as a Hausa-Fulani, it is a political term, you are either Hausa or you are Fulani.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by ibro4rich: 9:39am On Aug 02, 2013
Gud
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Asabeq(f): 11:03am On Sep 07, 2013
Yes and some of the languages are spoken across the border in neighboring cameroon. The major languages are jukun
Kpan
Fulfude
Etkywan(icen)
Samba daka
Samba leko
Tiv and
Yendang
Thou most languages are endangered and gradually dying off due to strong influence of Hausa and Fulfude

My tribe wurkun are in five states.
History speculates we migrated from east Asia grin
Thou I know little of my language and more of Hausa...

Afam4eva: So, it's Taraba that houses most of Nigeria's languages.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by Asabeq(f): 11:24am On Sep 07, 2013
Is that not you like tongue
Seun:

What if they are obese, ugly, smelly, and obnoxious and you still have to sleep with them?
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Fulaman198(m): 3:59pm On Sep 07, 2013
Asabeq: Yes and some of the languages are spoken across the border in neighboring cameroon. The major languages are jukun
Kpan
Fulfude
Etkywan(icen)
Samba daka
Samba leko
Tiv and
Yendang
Thou most languages are endangered and gradually dying off due to strong influence of Hausa and Fulfude

Correct
Re: 7 Facts About The North by aaidel(m): 4:40am On Sep 15, 2013
this thread should be tiltled some MYTHS the divorce ruling is an islamic one has nothing to do with nigeria and should be practised wherever there are muslims.

PAGAN9JA i have noticed you have this domineering and know all attitude about any history concerning the northern part of nigeria chill bro nobody has a monopoly of knowledge same way you accuse others of being racist you also come off as racist. one thing i do know is that there have been intermixing of people from time immemorial and many histories are long lost due to war, natural disasters and twisting of tales to suit whoever was telling them e.g i know of some black hausa people from kano that can trace their genealogy to arabs but the present day versions look like regular nigerians and this would also be true the other way round so it would be extremely ignorant or arrogant to dismiss out of hand and say there could never have been mixing or not
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Fulaman198(m): 4:58am On Sep 15, 2013
aaidel: this thread should be tiltled some MYTHS the divorce ruling is an islamic one has nothing to do with nigeria and should be practised wherever there are muslims.

PAGAN9JA i have noticed you have this domineering and know all attitude about any history concerning the northern part of nigeria chill bro nobody has a monopoly of knowledge same way you accuse others of being racist you also come off as racist. one thing i do know is that there have been intermixing of people from time immemorial and many histories are long lost due to war, natural disasters and twisting of tales to suit whoever was telling them e.g i know of some black hausa people from kano that can trace their genealogy to arabs but the present day versions look like regular nigerians and this would also be true the other way round so it would be extremely ignorant or arrogant to dismiss out of hand and say there could never have been mixing or not

No proof that Hausa and Arabs have anything to do with one another except language family both being Afro-Asiatic. Some people need to stop having this inferiority complex to Arabs, because despite sharing the same religion, a lot of them despise us.

I am not Hausa as you know I'm Fulani, but I see a lot of Fulani doing the same thing, trying so hard to have a common bond with Arab history. We need to be proud of our own history

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by aaidel(m): 7:01am On Sep 15, 2013
Fulaman198:

No proof that Hausa and Arabs have anything to do with one another except language family both being Afro-Asiatic. Some people need to stop having this inferiority complex to Arabs, because despite sharing the same religion, a lot of them despise us.

I am not Hausa as you know I'm Fulani, but I see a lot of Fulani doing the same thing, trying so hard to have a common bond with Arab history. We need to be proud of our own history
i have nothing against being patriotic to your own tribe. what i have a problem is when people try to distort history by claiming there was no mixing as far as i am concerned all tribes on earth are at one point or the other mixed its just the degree that varies
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 8:30am On Sep 15, 2013
Fulaman198:

Merci!

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by Fulaman198(m): 4:29pm On Sep 15, 2013
aaidel:
i have nothing against being patriotic to your own tribe. what i have a problem is when people try to distort history by claiming there was no mixing as far as i am concerned all tribes on earth are at one point or the other mixed its just the degree that varies

It's more about Africans being proud of who they are. It's not only a problem where we are from in the north, but all over the country and perhaps continent as well.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Fulaman198(m): 4:30pm On Sep 15, 2013
thiendella:
Merci!

De rien

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:13pm On Sep 15, 2013
Asabeq: Yes and some of the languages are spoken across the border in neighboring cameroon. The major languages are jukun
Kpan
Fulfude
Etkywan(icen)
Samba daka
Samba leko
Tiv and
Yendang

learn your language. angry

btw Are you Pagan?
Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:13pm On Sep 15, 2013
aaidel: this thread should be tiltled some MYTHS the divorce ruling is an islamic one has nothing to do with nigeria and should be practised wherever there are muslims.

don't argue with me. I am right and you are wrong. The End.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by aaidel(m): 7:54pm On Sep 15, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

don't argue with me. I am right and you are wrong. The End.

among every possessor of knowledge there is one more. it seems your arrogance knows no bounds and will be your downfall
Re: 7 Facts About The North by AnanseK(m): 8:29pm On Sep 15, 2013
digospel2:

That was Danfodio idealogy. But no shaking my brother, the days of ignorance is over. We in the middlebelt will continue to resist their dominance. I rather adopt English in my house than boko haramic language.

What an ignorant person you are! Danfodio spoke Hausa as a third language and most of his writings were not in Hausa . Please go to school.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yusuf Bayero Is Dead! Emir Of Kano's Uncle Dies / Unoaku Anyadike Visits The Ooni Of Ife (photo) / Names Of Traditional Rulers In Yoruba Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.