Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,512 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

What Has Parenthood Changed About You? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Has Parenthood Changed About You? (6268 Views)

How This Picture Changed My Life For The Best / 30 Facts All Men Must Know About Parenthood / Single Parenthood - Trendy Or Trashy ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by greatgod2012(f): 9:21pm On Jan 14, 2013
Let us share experience together, let us learn from one another, let us exchange ideas with one another, as regards parenthood. What has being a father or a mother(parenthood) changed about you?

As for me, before i became a mother, i spend anyhow, but now, not like so again, i now plan well b4 i spend, taking into cognizance that, emergency can spring up on d kids anytime and i wont like to leave everything for my hubby.
Next, before i became a mother, i can go to bed as early as 5/6pm, but now, who born me, when a lot of things are laid down for me to take care of, i cant believe i can be sleeping at d time i use to sleep now.
Again, before i became a mother, i was extremely neat to d extent of not wanting to have nursing mothers as visitors, because of d fear that d baby will mess up my room, but now, im more tolerant, its not that im no more neat, but i never believed i could tolerate what im tolerating with my kids and other pple's kids now.

As for hubby, before he became a father, once he determine that hes not going to spend a certain amount of money, there is nothing that can actually make him change his mind, if you like, bring heaven down, na so so look he go dey look you, but now, hes no more like that, he always want to satisfy his kids, d4, no special money he cant spend on d kids, especially when they are sick.

Pls, share yours, what has parenthood changed about you, be it positive or otherwise......let us learn from each other.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by Freiburger(m): 9:26pm On Jan 14, 2013
Taking lesser risk in whatever i do, coz someone is counting on me somewhere.

5 Likes

Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by zayhal(f): 10:19pm On Jan 14, 2013
I didn't use to pay much attention to children around me, was rather impatient with them but now, I pay attention to every child that comes my way. I listen to them and pay a lot of attention to their needs even if I may not be able to satisfy those needs.

I was very quiet. I could decide not to talk a whole day. But now, for where? I talk and shout all of the time.

8 Likes

Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jan 14, 2013
I am not yet a mother but i'll talk about my girlfriend.before she became a mother she would spend so lavishly on clothes,jwellries,shoes and hair accesories.she was always conscious of her looks and very fashionable.she had a beauty saloon and whenever nursin mothers come and their babies vomit or defecate,she would give them back their money that she cant do their hair again,they should find somewhere else to do it.she was always so touchy about kids messing up her clothes or urinating on her rug at home.when she gave birth i saw another different aisha.this girl will bring out her breast in the public and breastfeed her baby openly and i was like this isnt the aisha i know i said have you forgotten those days where you told your neighbour to come and carry her infant son for urinating on her bed and also gave her the bedsheet and told her not to bring her son to her house again,she said well she understands better now,she said she doesnt know how she will explain it but when i give birth,ill be more receptive with other peoples kids and even yours because you know the pain other mothers felt in birthing the child.

2 Likes

Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by engrtee(f): 11:40pm On Jan 14, 2013
More responsible
Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by greatgod2012(f): 3:49am On Jan 15, 2013
engrtee: More responsible

be more responsible in which area? Pls, lets learn from you. Thanks.
Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by greatgod2012(f): 3:50am On Jan 15, 2013
kulyie: I am not yet a mother but i'll talk about my girlfriend.before she became a mother she would spend so lavishly on clothes,jwellries,shoes and hair accesories.she was always conscious of her looks and very fashionable.she had a beauty saloon and whenever nursin mothers come and their babies vomit or defecate,she would give them back their money that she cant do their hair again,they should find somewhere else to do it.she was always so touchy about kids messing up her clothes or urinating on her rug at home.when she gave birth i saw another different aisha.this girl will bring out her breast in the public and breastfeed her baby openly and i was like this isnt the aisha i know i said have you forgotten those days where you told your neighbour to come and carry her infant son for urinating on her bed and also gave her the bedsheet and told her not to bring her son to her house again,she said well she understands better now,she said she doesnt know how she will explain it but when i give birth,ill be more receptive with other peoples kids and even yours because you know the pain other mothers felt in birthing the child.
Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by greatgod2012(f): 3:59am On Jan 15, 2013
kulyie: I am not yet a mother but i'll talk about my girlfriend.before she became a mother she would spend so lavishly on clothes,jwellries,shoes and hair accesories.she was always conscious of her looks and very fashionable.she had a beauty saloon and whenever nursin mothers come and their babies vomit or defecate,she would give them back their money that she cant do their hair again,they should find somewhere else to do it.she was always so touchy about kids messing up her clothes or urinating on her rug at home.when she gave birth i saw another different aisha.this girl will bring out her breast in the public and breastfeed her baby openly and i was like this isnt the aisha i know i said have you forgotten those days where you told your neighbour to come and carry her infant son for urinating on her bed and also gave her the bedsheet and told her not to bring her son to her house again,she said well she understands better now,she said she doesnt know how she will explain it but when i give birth,ill be more receptive with other peoples kids and even yours because you know the pain other mothers felt in birthing the child.

dt is exactly how many of us ladies are, by d time your kids start coming, u will understand better, but on d issue of flaunting bosoms openly, noooo, i dont do that, after 3 kids, no one can claim to have seen my bosms, except my hubby and my kids, i use nursing covers when im in public, and its even rare, unless very necessary to attend parties while nursing baby. So, talk to your friend to have more privacy as regards openly bossomfeeding in public. That is d essence of this thread........to learn from each other, to exchange ideas.........
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by greatgod2012(f): 4:05am On Jan 15, 2013
zayhal: I didn't use to pay much attention to children around me, was rather impatient with them but now, I pay attention to every child that comes my way. I listen to them and pay a lot of attention to their needs even if I may not be able to satisfy those needs.

I was very quiet. I could decide not to talk a whole day. But now, for where? I talk and shout all of the time.

yes, d last paragraph got my attention............ Just last week, my hubby was telling me that he never knew i could be talking d way im talking now. I was d type of person that easily got tired of talking, but now, i talk like a kid, because, if i dont do that, d kids may not really enjoy me. Thanks.
Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by greatgod2012(f): 4:10am On Jan 15, 2013
Freiburger: Taking lesser risk in whatever i do, coz someone is counting on me somewhere.

yeah! Thanks, this is enlightening, may our kids not become ophans...........amen.

1 Like

Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by damiso(f): 8:44am On Jan 15, 2013
Watching cartoons and actually enjoying it again grin after leaving them behind in my own childhood.

Being more understanding and actually feeling parents with very young kids.I remember when i was single if i enter a plane and see a mother or family with young kids,i would roll my eyes in horror and think 'this is going to be a very long flight'.If possible i would swap seats.Now i know no first hand experience travelling with under 5 no be small thing lipsrsealed

I know now i can function well on just 6 hrs sleep(or less when you have a grizly baby).As a single no one dared to mess with that my saturday sleep in.Now even when i pretend or say go to daddy jo i don wake be that.

Financial responsiblity.Do i h need another beige bag?Or another colour block top when iv not worn the last one in ages.Bebe needs piano lessons and i really should be topping more into her CTF account.

Funny enough learning that God blessing me is not just about me or even catering to just my own kids and family.This life is all about touching the lives of others in a positive way however we can.Having my own kids sort of was awakening in me to strive to do more for others.I look.at my daughter and think of a child her age having to worry about food or say not having shoes and i think that just cant be right.
Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by Nobody: 10:44am On Jan 15, 2013
greatgod2012:

dt is exactly how many of us ladies are, by d time your kids start coming, u will understand better, but on d issue of flaunting bosoms openly, noooo, i dont do that, after 3 kids, no one can claim to have seen my bosms, except my hubby and my kids, i use nursing covers when im in public, and its even rare, unless very necessary to attend parties while nursing baby. So, talk to your friend to have more privacy as regards openly bossomfeeding in public. That is d essence of this thread........to learn from each other, to exchange ideas.........
Thanks.
yeah,thanks dear.lol.i have told her to stop bringing out her breast in public but i for one i'm always irritable when i sit near nursing mothers and even in church.when they start crying,releasing catarrh,throwing buiscuits all over the floor,it pisses me off but i try to suppress my irritation,however if they start messing the place up and want to start staining my dress or touching my hand bag,that is when i get agressive.infact when i wear white,pink or any sensitive cloth i dont sit near nursing mothers.when i went to a wedding party,a child of like 3 was drinking fanta and the fanta was spilling all over his clothes,i ignored it but wen the child wanted to spill fanta on me i dragged the child to his mother,and the mother was like couldn't you help me clean up his mouth and body,i told her that you know i came to the party to babysit your son,she was now said in yoruba,you ladies of this days you act like you wont be mothers someday and of course i didnt hesitate to reply her that if you know you cannot take care of the child i dont know why you brought him to seyis wedding and i walked away.the thing is that i dont like kids messing up around me.the mere fact that dirts irritate me is what wont even make me not get irritable with nursing mothers nursing babies carelessly around me
Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by greatgod2012(f): 12:56pm On Jan 15, 2013
kulyie: yeah,thanks dear.lol.i have told her to stop bringing out her breast in public but i for one i'm always irritable when i sit near nursing mothers and even in church.when they start crying,releasing catarrh,throwing buiscuits all over the floor,it pisses me off but i try to suppress my irritation,however if they start messing the place up and want to start staining my dress or touching my hand bag,that is when i get agressive.infact when i wear white,pink or any sensitive cloth i dont sit near nursing mothers.when i went to a wedding party,a child of like 3 was drinking fanta and the fanta was spilling all over his clothes,i ignored it but wen the child wanted to spill fanta on me i dragged the child to his mother,and the mother was like couldn't you help me clean up his mouth and body,i told her that you know i came to the party to babysit your son,she was now said in yoruba,you ladies of this days you act like you wont be mothers someday and of course i didnt hesitate to reply her that if you know you cannot take care of the child i dont know why you brought him to seyis wedding and i walked away.the thing is that i dont like kids messing up around me.the mere fact that dirts irritate me is what wont even make me not get irritable with nursing mothers nursing babies carelessly around me

hhhhhmmmmm....interesting.....
Im sure when d kids start coming, you will have other stories to tell, just like me.......may God spare our lives.
Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by smartmom(f): 1:42pm On Jan 15, 2013
I could spend 6 hours holed up in a room reading my newest novel without a thought for food. Matter of fact, my mom said I was queer cos when I read, I dont want anybody around me for fullest concentration but now when will I find that kinda peace and quiet? who dash monkey banana? I have to read with the full blare of cartoon network and demands constantly for one thing or the other.

I never used to share my bar of chocolate no matter how dear a person is to me. I nibble at it for hours, but these days once they hear the crackle of any candy wrapper, they just swamp on me and I gotta share it or else stuff the whole bar in 1 or 2 gulps if I dont want to share (sigh) no more savouring my favrite bar.

I could feed on snacks for days on end but now hmmm if I try dat!!!! am in trouble.

3 Likes

Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by agiboma(f): 1:54pm On Jan 15, 2013
becoming a mom has made me less selfish it used to be all about me and no one but me prior to having my son. Now i know what it is like to give selflessly and make sacrifices for his betterment.I know what its like to love beyound limits, the greatest love in my opion the love a mother has for her children.

1 Like

Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by waleadex(m): 1:59pm On Jan 15, 2013
Patience and tolerance!!!
Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jan 15, 2013
greatgod2012:

hhhhhmmmmm....interesting.....
Im sure when d kids start coming, you will have other stories to tell, just like me.......may God spare our lives.
lol,amen o.but wait o.men are not contributing,why na? Are there no fathers in the house?
Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by smartmom(f): 2:23pm On Jan 15, 2013
kulyie: lol,amen o.but wait o.men are not contributing,why na? Are there no fathers in the house?

Maybe, just maybe wink grin all the changes are only with the moms lol... a few men actually contributed earlier but in reality marraige and child delivery is usually borne mainly by the women. Their body change, their names change, their routine changes too ect lol
Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by tsmith(f): 2:48pm On Jan 15, 2013
Before I became a mother, I thought I had everything under control, but now I know better, especially with kids anything can happen anytime. I now take things in my strides and I have learnt to circumvent things before happen. i.e. prevention is better than cure.

I am now rather paranoid. I had done the worst rides at Alton towers etc, but now, even rides for under 3 scare me. I also kinda of extend that fear factor to the kids, I don’t like rough play etc.

I hate reading the papers; news of kids dying scare the hell outta me and then drives me into paranoia so such doesn’t happen to the kids. it could be things like electronic gates killing a child, immediately ruled out elec gates in our house, a kids hiding in the washing machine during hide and seek and suffocating. A child getting tangled up in blind cord, now we have child safety blinds and the only room (downstairs bath) still with them cords, adults in the house have been explicitly warned not to pull the blinds, as the cords get longer the more you pull, the little dangling bit that is left, I have folded up and taped to the wall.

Also, I have noticed, I am less tolerant of adults that don’t clean up after themselves. I'm constantly cleaning after 2 lil ones, I wont do such for an adult. My husband and I are still at loggerhead over this.

I have until recently put myself and needs on the back burner, it was always the family 1st, that slowly changed to the kids first but now its my sanity 1st, the kids after, all other man for himself. Selfish you would say, but in out situation that works best!!!

2 Likes

Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by FlyboyZee: 2:50pm On Jan 15, 2013
I love children from the onset and even hi-fived children I see on the kerb walking home from school, while extending thumbs-up to others. I had no qualms hugging biscuit-eating, chocolate-nibbling or fanta-drinking children while wearing my best and most expensive suit on my chrismas shirt. You know what I mean!

So when my son arrived, it didn't change much for me since I was already used to playing with kids in the airports, bus stops, motor parks, schools, churches, markets, malls, stores, mama puts or where ever I meet them. I even allow some to donkey-ride me with no qualms. But, I noticed that I have become less quarrelsome and domineering. I now take everything je je le, no matter what happens in the house, I don't shout again. I just hold my wife's hand and drag her into our bedroom jocularly and then tell her how I feel. If na before, I no care whether na inside market, I go just raise my voice hala her like agbero wey dey load motor for park. I don't want my children growing up to become bullies and getting rude.

In all, I think becoming a father has made me more tolerant, patient and even more friendly with a new outlook to life that my time don pass and I have to prepare the young ones for their own time.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by Philolos: 3:07pm On Jan 15, 2013
greatgod2012: Let us share experience together, let us learn from one another, let us exchange ideas with one another, as regards parenthood. What has being a father or a mother(parenthood) changed about you?

As for me, before i became a mother, i spend anyhow, but now, not like so again, i now plan well b4 i spend, taking into cognizance that, emergency can spring up on d kids anytime and i wont like to leave everything for my hubby.
Next, before i became a mother, i can go to bed as early as 5/6pm, but now, who born me, when a lot of things are laid down for me to take care of, i cant believe i can be sleeping at d time i use to sleep now.
Again, before i became a mother, i was extremely neat to d extent of not wanting to have nursing mothers as visitors, because of d fear that d baby will mess up my room, but now, im more tolerant, its not that im no more neat, but i never believed i could tolerate what im tolerating with my kids and other pple's kids now.

As for hubby, before he became a father, once he determine that hes not going to spend a certain amount of money, there is nothing that can actually make him change his mind, if you like, bring heaven down, na so so look he go dey look you, but now, hes no more like that, he always want to satisfy his kids, d4, no special money he cant spend on d kids, especially when they are sick.

Pls, share yours, what has parenthood changed about you, be it positive or otherwise......let us learn from each other.
Thanks.

As a parent, I'm now less mobile as I used to. I no longer take as much risk as I used to. I've also cut back on achieving certain goals until my kids go off to college/univ. My focus is now on the happiness of my family and on my kids growing up well-rounded.
Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by LagosBoi2(m): 3:09pm On Jan 15, 2013
I hate to stop by when coming home or going out, especially having a lylon or bag on my hands. I use to go out galant and back home galant but now i behave like housewives now, coming home and stopping by at different places buying this and that, imagine my daughter asking me to buy her local chicken that she loves to have them around and she kept disturbing for that, i had to go to agege market looking for hens and cocks to buy for her. I can't imagine myself doing that before but i enjoy doing it now, I can do anything to make my kids happy.

4 Likes

Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by onnairaland(f): 3:13pm On Jan 15, 2013
grin I really love dis tread. Just dis morning I was asking my husband" wen will one ever get a good night sleep again?" Interesting.
Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by xynerise: 3:16pm On Jan 15, 2013
Be more careful while driving, Quit coming home late, developed the habit of buying toys undecided and a lot of responsibilities.

1 Like

Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by LagosBoi2(m): 3:26pm On Jan 15, 2013
one more thing, i am more careful now anywhere and i hardly fight or quarell with anyone because i know even if it's just a mark on my hand my daughter will ask me questions on that and she has warned me never to get injuries on my body again, i will not like to dissapoint her, most important i know someone will miss me dearly if i loose my life so i am very careful in everything i do.
Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jan 15, 2013
Though I aint a father now,but I try praticising parenthood with my sibling staying with me. I provide for all her needs,and try to be as caring as possible,I know this is a far cry from parenthood,but Rome was built in a day,so when by Sept,my wife delivers,I won't be choked with responsibility

2 Likes

Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by joymary7(f): 5:06pm On Jan 15, 2013
motherhood has made me friendless..... Since i gave birth i dont mix wit pple who have nt given birth b4, i mix up wit pple who can give me informations useful in take care of my son.... Motherhood has also made me dress in a wear i never tot of b4, i now sew my cloths wit zip in front to enhance easy breastfeeding in public, i just cant see a blouse or gown in a boutique and buy it because i luv it, i muat consider if it wld enhance easy breastfeeding. Reading novels is no more for me, i usually read a lot of novels b4, i even have a shelf full of novels but wit my 5 months old son i dont even get enough sleep not to talk of reading novels. Every 5am, my son wld wake up and make sure he wakes me up. Motherhood is a very sweet and intreasting stage of one's life...infact motherhood is the best part of my life

1 Like

Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by Fhemmmy: 5:13pm On Jan 15, 2013
Increased my love and respect for my womanhood . . .
Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by joymary7(f): 5:23pm On Jan 15, 2013
motherhood has made me friendless..... Since i gave birth i dont mix wit pple who have nt given birth b4, i mix up wit pple who can give me informations useful in take care of my son.... Motherhood has also made me dress in a wear i never tot of b4, i now sew my cloths wit zip in front to enhance easy breastfeeding in public, i just cant see a blouse or gown in a boutique and buy it because i luv it, i muat consider if it wld enhance easy breastfeeding. Reading novels is no more for me, i usually read a lot of novels b4, i even have a shelf full of novels but wit my 5 months old son i dont even get enough sleep not to talk of reading novels. Every 5am, my son wld wake up and make sure he wakes me up. Motherhood is a very sweet and intreasting stage of one's life...infact motherhood is the best part of my life. I dont fight or quarrel anymore because i dont want to die and leave me son behind for anybody to treat anyhow

1 Like

Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by Tobiegal(f): 5:36pm On Jan 15, 2013
For me, i've just realized the extent to which u can love someone so innocently.

I still ensure i buy myself the usual clothes n shoes... but, i also ensure i buy for my boiz.

Dat way, that guilty is wiped clean grin

In terms of shopping, i don't just buy whatever anymore...i buy what i know my boy wld take...and that goes for my meals.
Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jan 15, 2013
Flyboy Zee: I love children from the onset and even hi-fived children I see on the kerb walking home from school, while extending thumbs-up to others. I had no qualms hugging biscuit-eating, chocolate-nibbling or fanta-drinking children while wearing my best and most expensive suit on my chrismas shirt. You know what I mean!

So when my son arrived, it didn't change much for me since I was already used to playing with kids in the airports, bus stops, motor parks, schools, churches, markets, malls, stores, mama puts or where ever I meet them. I even allow some to donkey-ride me with no qualms. But, I noticed that I have become less quarrelsome and domineering. I now take everything je je le, no matter what happens in the house, I don't shout again. I just hold my wife's hand and drag her into our bedroom jocularly and then tell her how I feel. If na before, I no care whether na inside market, I go just raise my voice hala her like agbero wey dey load motor for park. I don't want my children growing up to become bullies and getting rude.

In all, I think becoming a father has made me more tolerant, patient and even more friendly with a new outlook to life that my time don pass and I have to prepare the young ones for their own time.
wow thats nice.i wish i was like you,the only reason i dont like kids around me is scattering my sittimg room,breaking tumblers,flower vases and running all over the house.i try bringing kids closer,but i find out its not comming from me naturally.the day i started disallowing kids from coming into the house was after my neighbour dropped her son in the house to go to the market.i was watching tv upstairs,unknown to me this kid had entered the kitchen,poured stew all over the ground,broke some of my plates and turned the kitchen upside down.when i came downstairs to the kitchen to go and drink water,i met it in a sorry state.i made sure i left it in that shape till she came back from the market so that she will know i wasnt exaggerating or lying. When she came back from the market intending to give me a thank you hug i gave her a cold response because i was sooo upset.i told her mummy blessing,you are giving me seven thousand naira for all this destruction,she looked around the kitchen with suprise.she said you know i had to quickly buy foodstuffs and cook before her husband comes back and it will have been stress taking him with her,i said no problem.you left him here with me in the sitting room,i didnt even know when he sneaked away from me to go downstairs.i am not going to argue with you,you will give me 7,ooo naira or refix this kitchen and replace the 3 broken plates with the stew.anyway she cleaned up the kitchen and replaced it with a new set of plates.i told her not to bother about the money for stew.but after that time i started feeling bad that i was harsh.i try buying toys and buiscuits for the boy just to free my mind and let go of everything but mama blessing doesnt make any mistake of dropping her kids with me even when i say she should.anyway.how do i start loving or liking kids?
Re: What Has Parenthood Changed About You? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jan 15, 2013
Lagos_Boi: I hate to stop by when coming home or going out, especially having a lylon or bag on my hands. I use to go out galant and back home galant but now i behave like housewives now, coming home and stopping by at different places buying this and that, imagine my daughter asking me to buy her local chicken that she loves to have them around and she kept disturbing for that, i had to go to agege market looking for hens and cocks to buy for her. I can't imagine myself doing that before but i enjoy doing it now, I can do anything to make my kids happy.
am so impressed.what a great and loving dad you are wink keep it up

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Today Is International Women's Day: Respect To All Women!! / Is It Advisable For Boys To Be In Boarding Secondary Schools,please Advice / Honor Your Mother And Father Do Not Abuse Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.