Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,266 members, 7,818,921 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

What Jesus Said About Hell - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Jesus Said About Hell (2040 Views)

Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell / Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? / The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Jesus Said About Hell by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:18am On Jan 15, 2013
What Jesus Said about Hell
January 15, 2013.

"And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell" (Matthew 5:29).

People do not like to think about hell--especially those who are headed there! But that doesn't mean it isn't real.

We need to know that the Lord Jesus Himself often warned about the reality of hell. Today's verse is in His Sermon on the Mount, a message often quoted because of its wonderful promises. Hell is also mentioned in the same sermon in Matthew 5:22 and 5:30. Jesus also stressed in that sermon that "broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat" (Matthew 7:13). He later warned that we should "fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell" (Matthew 10:28 ).

The religious leaders of the day were not exempt. To them, speaking of their religious hypocrisy, He said, "Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?" (Matthew 23:33).

Hell is also a place of fire or possibly of some fearful environment that could only be described adequately under the metaphor of fire. "Depart from me," He will say to the lost souls at His coming judgment, "into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels" (Matthew 25:41). Hell is called a "lake of fire" by Christ in John's vision of Him on His great white throne, where He will have to say, "But the fearful, and unbelieving, . . . and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death" (Revelation 21:8 ).

Hell will indeed be very real--eternally real! Since Christ is both our Creator and our Saviour, who died for our sins and defeated death by His resurrection, it is foolish for anyone to reject His revelation about hell. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by ijawkid(m): 9:56am On Jan 15, 2013
Jesus went to HELL too....did it escape your notice??you better go back to the already existing threads on hell fire and learn......
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 9:59am On Jan 15, 2013
ijawkid: Jesus went to HELL too....did it escape your notice??you better go back to the already existing threads on hell fire and learn......

there are people who will keep doing the devils bidding !
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:40am On Jan 15, 2013
ijawkid:

Jesus went to HELL too....did it escape your notice??you better go back to the already existing threads on hell fire and learn......

No, it didn't escape my notice it is you who is playing the Ostrich here.

Let's here what Paul said about where Jesus went:

"Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)"
(Ephesians 4:8-9).
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jan 15, 2013
^^^^^

So according to your heretical logic, JESUS Christ did not DIE, he was alive in the grave somehow, which means that GOD raising him from the dead was all for show ??

Thank GOD I left deeper life , from the outside I can now see how deep they are into heresy !

SMH
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by moredendisc: 7:29pm On Jan 15, 2013
frosbel:

^^^^^

So according to your heretical logic, JESUS Christ did not DIE, he was alive in the grave somehow,

which means that GOD raising him from the dead was all for show ??

Thank GOD I left deeper life , from the outside I can now see how deep they are into heresy !

SMH

@^^^^^

Seems I am missing something here.

Is your ox being gored. If yes, how?

What am I missing here?
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jan 15, 2013
moredendisc:

@^^^^^

Seems I am missing something here.

Is your ox being gored. If yes, how?

What am I missing here?

Yes you are wink
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by moredendisc: 9:52pm On Jan 15, 2013
frosbel:

Yes you are wink

@frosbel

Oh no. You don't get off that lightly. Spill the beans.

What's the gripe over or what's the controversy about?

Please indulge me, what exactly in details is it about?
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jan 15, 2013
moredendisc:

@frosbel

Oh no. You don't get off that lightly. Spill the beans.

What's the gripe over or what's the controversy about?

Please indulge me, what exactly in details is it about?

Okay , let's talk about it.

First, what do you understand by the following statement :

Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by moredendisc: 10:14pm On Jan 15, 2013
frosbel:

Okay , let's talk about it.

First, what do you understand by the following statement :

"Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
(Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.
"

@frosbel

I understand it literally and exactly how or way it is written.
Hmm?
I am still none the wiser what your gripe is though
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jan 15, 2013
moredendisc:

@frosbel

I understand literally and exactly how or way it is written,.
Hmm?

sorry , I need a little insight into your position as it is not immediately clear to me !
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by moredendisc: 10:21pm On Jan 15, 2013
frosbel:

sorry , I need a little insight into your position as it is not immediately clear to me !

@frosbel

Insight into my position ke?

I am after an insight what this whole thing is about and what your complaint about it was frosbel
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jan 15, 2013
moredendisc:

@frosbel

Insight into my position ke?

I am after an insight what this whole thing is about and what your complaint about it was frosbel

Was JESUS Christ 100% dead in the grave or not ?
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by moredendisc: 10:43pm On Jan 15, 2013
frosbel:

Was JESUS Christ 100% dead in the grave or not?

@frosbel

Aha. Is this what it was all about?

Is that it?

What is 100% dead, sef?

You are dead or ain't dead.

Jesus slept just as Lazarus slept, didn't he?

So what's your response to "Was JESUS Christ 100% dead in the grave or not?" then?
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jan 15, 2013
moredendisc:

@frosbel

Aha. Is this what it was all about?

Is that it?

What is 100% dead, sef?

You are dead or ain't dead.

Jesus slept just as Lazarus slept, didn't he?

So what's your response to "Was JESUS Christ 100% dead in the grave or not?" then?

He was DEAD for 3 complete days and on the 3rd day was raised up by Yahweh. This is my position.

However, there are some who refute this , saying that though he died bodily, his spirit went to hell to do battle. This is the position of some.

What is your position ?
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by moredendisc: 11:00pm On Jan 15, 2013
frosbel:

He was DEAD for 3 complete days and on the 3rd day was raised up by Yahweh. This is my position.

However, there are some who refute this , saying that though he died bodily, his spirit went to hell to do battle.

This is the position of some.

What is your position ?

@frosbel

smiley

My curiosity was aaaroused, now it's my attention that got stirred

I am aligned to both positions frosbel

Jesus was DEAD, Christ his spirit went to hell to do battle for 3 complete days and on the 3rd day Jesus was raised up by God.

JESUS Christ.
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jan 15, 2013
moredendisc:

@frosbel

smiley

My curiosity was aaaroused, now it's my attention that got stirred

I am aligned to both positions frosbel

Jesus was DEAD, Christ his spirit went to hell to do battle for 3 complete days and on the 3rd day Jesus was raised up by God.

JESUS Christ.

You cannot hold on to both positions.

Was he 100% dead in the grave or 50% ?
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by moredendisc: 11:07pm On Jan 15, 2013
frosbel:

@frosbel

Of course I can.

Why not? Especially if the dynamics behind the whole thing is understood.

Do you know how Jesus came back from the "dead"?

Know how he was able to come back?

Why He didn't take longer than 3 days to come back? etc etc etc
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by pastormustwacc: 12:17am On Jan 16, 2013
Some people here should be philosophers rather than christians. . .
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by moredendisc: 12:34am On Jan 16, 2013
pastormustwacc:

Some people here should be philosophers rather than Christians . . .

@pastormustwacc

The best of both worlds
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by georgeehis(m): 2:54am On Jan 16, 2013
Even job prayd to go to hell.....so u rily fink its a place of torment? If hell was such an impt tin,won't God hav mentiond it durin d 7days creatn? Oh wait sef...we're is hell fire? And wen was it formd? Hhmm b careful wot u believ o
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by pastormustwacc: 7:20am On Jan 16, 2013
moredendisc:

@pastormustwacc

The best of both worlds
Gracias senor!
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Ubenedictus(m): 11:45am On Jan 16, 2013
frosbel:

he certainly can!
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 11:57am On Jan 16, 2013
Ubenedictus: he certainly can!

No, he cannot.

You either believe that JESUS died fully as a MAN and was raised from the grave on the third day, or you do not.

Any other position is contrary to the bible.

DEATH is an all encompassing experience, you cannot die and be alive in another form or shape, this is the stuff of pagan greek philosophy which infiltrated the church through Catholicism.

1 Like

Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by moredendisc: 2:42pm On Jan 16, 2013
frosbel:

No, he cannot.

You either believe that JESUS died fully as a MAN and was raised from the grave on the third day, or you do not.

DEATH is an all encompassing experience,

you cannot die and be alive in another form or shape,

this is the stuff of pagan greek philosophy which infiltrated the church through Catholicism.

@frosbel

Death is a dividing line.

Aha. Form or shape.

Jesus slept or died.

He woke up into the same body (i.e. same form or body) because He had the body still intact to return to.

Just as when God breathed into Adam to make to make the bodyshell alive (i.e. nephesh - a living soul) so did Christ return into Jesus' body to make Him alive.

# at work. So sorry I can't type as much as I would like to at the mo.
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Ubenedictus(m): 3:43pm On Jan 16, 2013
frosbel:
No, he cannot.
DEATH is an all encompassing experience, you cannot die and be alive in another form or shape, this is the stuff of pagan greek philosophy which infiltrated the church through Catholicism.
hahaha, u see contradiction, i see a clear truth. Greek philosophy u call it, maybe u are not aware but d concept of logos is jn1:1 was borrowed and upgraded from greek philosophy.
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Ubenedictus(m): 3:46pm On Jan 16, 2013
moredendisc:

@frosbel

Death is a dividing line.

Aha. Form or shape.

Jesus slept or died.

He woke up into the same body (i.e. same form or body) because He had the body still intact to return to.

Just as when God breathed into Adam to make to make the bodyshell alive (i.e. nephesh - a living soul) so did Christ return into Jesus' body to make Him alive.

# at work. So sorry I can't type as much as I would like to at the mo.
frosbel did u get d gist? D influx of "divine breath" into adam made him a living being at death dat "divine breath doesn't cease to exist instead it leaves d body. That is death.
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jan 16, 2013
Ubenedictus: frosbel did u get d gist? D influx of "divine breath" into adam man him a living being at death dat "divine breath doesn't cease to exist instead it leaves d body. That is death.

Dear Sir, where does this breath go to after death and what does this same breath constitute of ?
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jan 16, 2013
frosbel:

No, he cannot.

The teaching of purgatory by the roman catholics is not taken from the Bible, but from thier traditon. Each person is either saved or lost. All who are saved go to heaven on the basis of the shed blood of Christ. All who are lost go to hell.
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Ubenedictus(m): 5:24pm On Jan 16, 2013
frosbel:

Dear Sir, where does this breath go to after death and what does this same breath constitute of ?
back to God, ofcourse, the breath is life force without which man is dead.
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by moredendisc: 5:35pm On Jan 16, 2013
@frosbel

Further to what was earlier said "Death is a dividing line" - a multi-tier one as it were for that matter

It is a separation . . .

# I'll soon be at home to continue & elaborate

# Oh yes. Undoubtedly, Jesus died fully as you inferred.

He also like Lazarus had a vessel or rainment intact and fit to return to, upon coming back from the sleep or death
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Ubenedictus(m): 5:36pm On Jan 16, 2013
Bidam: The teaching of purgatory by the roman catholics is not taken from the Bible, but from thier traditon. Each person is either saved or lost. All who are saved go to heaven on the basis of the shed blood of Christ. All who are lost go to hell.
be careful donot start condeming stuff u knw nothing abt. The catholics didnt say there is a third eternal place where some pipo go and spend eternity but instead dat those who built on christ as their foundation but built with straw (imperfect love, imperfect faith or imperfect work) will experience Divine beatitude (heaven, salvation), but only thru purification of all their uncleaniness in God's fiery love and b4 heaven they are stripped of all the weight of their imperfection. They are saved but "as thru fire". That teaching is what catholics call "purgation" and it sure as hell is biblical. There are only 2 eternal destination heaven or hell but those who come b4 judgement with straw will certainly suffer loss b4 entering heaven, they are saved as though by fire

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Question For Yoruba Christians / Allahu Akbar Kabeer!!! God Is Great And He Is The Greatest!!! / Sermon And Prayer Points By Pastor E A Adeboye. Be Fruitful. RCCG Open Heavens.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.