Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,470 members, 7,816,115 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:16 AM

Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? (3974 Views)

Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You / OMG! Proud Mum-to-be Shows Off Her Pregnancy Stretch Marks / Can You Allow Tribal Marks On Your Kid. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by kaze4blues(m): 5:24pm On Jan 15, 2013
It is rare this days to find children wt traddditional tribal marks.

But back then, tribal marks serve important purposes like servin as means of identification, for beautification etc.

These days, ppl no longer appreciate ds aspect of our culture.

Do we av ppl wt tribal marks on nairaland to share thr experiences wt us?

Is ds act nw obsolete or cruel lik sum ppl wil put it nowadays.

Even though I av frnds wt marks, I stil feel glad dt my parents didn't thnk of givin me one back then.

So wt do ppl think nowadays abt tribal marks nd why is it becomin obsolete?

Suggestions please...
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by djeezy(m): 5:47pm On Jan 15, 2013
Tribal marks is obsolete. A total turn off for me. Why would someone use tribal marks to impair the beauty of their face. Nowadays do people really get lost that much?
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by greatgod2012(f): 5:50pm On Jan 15, 2013
@op,im sure that if you have tribal marks, u wont be writing what you wrote here.....just thank your star that you are lucky for not having tribal marks.
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by baby124: 5:55pm On Jan 15, 2013
Honestly nothing wrong with tribal marks. It is now very unique and very cultural. Most stopped it to assimilate into the fast changing and global world. I dont think people with tribal marks should be looked down on. But i do believe that it should be done when the child can choose if they want it or not.
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by kaze4blues(m): 5:56pm On Jan 15, 2013
greatgod2012: @op,im sure that if you have tribal marks, u wont be writing what you wrote here.....just thank your star that you are lucky for not having tribal marks.

Ds is nt mockin anyone for avin tribal marks, jst curios abt why it is obsolete ds days.

My closest frndd has a tribal mark nd we stil live we'll 2geda.

By dd way, do u av tribal mark?

Jst askin...
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by greatgod2012(f): 12:09am On Jan 16, 2013
^^
yes, i have, 16 long marks on each of my cheek.

Hope that satisfy your curiosity.
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by Nobody: 1:02am On Jan 16, 2013
kaze4blues: Ds is nt mockin anyone for avin tribal marks, jst curios abt why it is obsolete ds days.

My closest frndd has a tribal mark nd we stil live we'll 2geda.

If you feel "These days, ppl no longer appreciate ds aspect of our culture."

How come you don't have a messed-up face? As you feel so strongly about facial mutilation, why not get your face carved? There's no set time, so it's not too late to "appreciate ds aspect of your culture."
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by Nobody: 1:08am On Jan 16, 2013
Yes they are very bad
Barbaric is the right term
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by Nobody: 2:49am On Jan 16, 2013
wow....messed up face, mutilation and carved face??...

Are Tribal marks that exceedingly brutal? or people just chose to paint it that way?

Or perhaps they need to be educated more instead of calling it barbaric slurs?

I have family and friends with Tribal marks and they are just as beautiful and respected in the society as any other influential figure in the world.

Tribal marks are predominantly common in Yorubaland and we are very proud if it......

@Greatgod....now I know why I'm passionately drawn to you....I knew it!! grin
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by Nobody: 3:05am On Jan 16, 2013
What is there to educate anybody about tribal marks
Will it change them to something desirable?
The thread asks if they are bad and yes they are,they make people look ugly and primitive
The opposite of good is bad
If they were good you will give them to your kids
Just because your relatives have them does not make them a good thing to have in 2013
Who wants to walk around looking like this?
Any parent that does that to a child in today's Nigeria ought to be arrested

Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by Nobody: 3:15am On Jan 16, 2013
I guess that's your opinion and Yeah you need to be educated bout it instead of calling it undesirable ..... It's just disrespectful that's all. And NO they're not bad! What's bad bout it? Pls tell me.

Add on; just read your modified post, this might sound unbelievable to you but I honestly don't see anything wrong with that picture.... Maybe it's part of my culture, they don't look any different to me.
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by kaze4blues(m): 3:15am On Jan 16, 2013
nwando: What is there to educate anybody about tribal marks
The thread asks if they are bad and yes they are,they make people look ugly and primitive
Just because your relatives have them does not make them a good thing to have in 2013

But ds one bad ooo...

Really pity d woman
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by Nobody: 3:16am On Jan 16, 2013
jidegirl12: I guess that's your opinion and Yeah you need to be educated bout it instead of calling it undesirable ..... It's just disrespectful that's all. And NO they're not bad! What's bad bout it? Pls tell me.

Go and get your face like that woman if they are desirable
They are bad ,let's call a spade a spade
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by Nobody: 3:19am On Jan 16, 2013
kaze4blues:

But ds one bad ooo...

Really pity d woman

If you look beyond the marks that lady is a pretty woman
but see the ugly scars somebody deliberately branded on her face
Will that thing not affect her self esteem or cost her jobs and positions
First thing in your mind when you see her is is that she is an illiterate and very unintelligent
That is the impression her face gives

1 Like

Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by Nobody: 3:22am On Jan 16, 2013
nwando:

Go and get your face like that woman if they are desirable
They are bad ,let's call a spade a spade

What spade? Tribal marks are obsolete/kinda old school thingy just like buggie boogie, old damask... just cause its not practised anymore doesn't make it bad. Got it?

And that's why I said you need to be educated bout it.
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by Nobody: 3:23am On Jan 16, 2013
nwando:

If you look beyond the marks that lady is a pretty woman
but see the ugly scars somebody deliberately branded on her face
Will that thing not affect her self esteem or cost her jobs and positions
First thing in your mind when you see her is is that she is an illiterate and very unintelligent
That is the impression her face gives

Lol @ illiterate & unintelligent , and did you just said it'll cost her jobs/positions??... You're obviously ignorant and Tripping I tell ya grin
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by Nobody: 3:26am On Jan 16, 2013
jidegirl12:

What spade? Tribal marks are obsolete/kinda old school thingy just like buggie boogie, old damask... just cause its not practised anymore doesn't make it bad. Got it?

And that's why I said you need to be educated bout it.

Still practised dear just that it is much less
That tells you people are catching up to the times and doing away with it
Why?
It is not good to scar people's faces
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by Nobody: 3:37am On Jan 16, 2013
jidegirl12:

Lol @ illiterate & unintelligent , and did you just said it'll cost her jobs/positions??... You're obviously ignorant and Tripping I tell ya grin

You can tell yourself lies,I call a spade a spade,nothing to do with what tribe does it

people wouldn't hire her as a receptionist in a hotel or anywhere reasonable that for sure,you wouldn't
That right there is a huge downside
Her face is not a face anyone would want on their business website except they are advertising the safari and wild animals grin grin
Truth be told
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by kaze4blues(m): 7:34am On Jan 16, 2013
Lookin @ it frm a modern day perspective, one wil agree dt tribal marks re actually bad since they MAY reduce d self esteem of whoever has it.

Bt ds is nt 2 brush asidde d fact dt back in those days tribal marks re really appreciated nd uses as means of beautification nd even identification.

Tribal marks re common among d yorubas nd hausas, but less common within dd igbos.
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by ferhyntorlah(f): 12:34am On Jan 17, 2013
greatgod2012: @op,im sure that if you have tribal marks, u wont be writing what you wrote here.....just thank your star that you are lucky for not having tribal marks.

Thank you oooooooh.
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by ferhyntorlah(f): 12:38am On Jan 17, 2013
jidegirl12:
Tribal marks are predominantly common in Yorubaland and we are very proud if it......

It's not just the Yorubas; the Hausas, I think Urhobos and some tribes of Ghana engage in "tribal marking".
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by Nobody: 3:46am On Jan 17, 2013
ferhyntorlah:

It's not just the Yorubas; the Hausas, I think Urhobos and some tribes of Ghana engage in "tribal marking".

But you saw with your eyes I wrote 'common'abi ? Mrs Teacher Fehin what does that mean in your books?
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by kaze4blues(m): 9:08am On Jan 17, 2013
Tribal marks re less predominant among igbos.

Don't know d reasons for dat though.

Ddifferent dialects in yorubaland even av marks dat re peculiar to them.

To me, it's an aspect of our culture dat shld nt be exiled.
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by EzePromoe: 9:19am On Jan 17, 2013

1 Like

Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by tpia5: 10:19am On Jan 20, 2013
Tribal marks were important back then because they served as identification and also, were used to distinguish people from different tribes and localities.

Thus, you ran less risk of mistaking someone for a different ethnicity or region when they were not.

So, its not about them being bad or good, but more about preserving identity.
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by tpia5: 10:30am On Jan 20, 2013
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by kaze4blues(m): 8:33am On Jan 21, 2013
I fink ds topic shld b on d front page since it is an eye-opener for many ppl nd also provides an insight into one aspect of culture dat av gone obsolete...

Xpectin d mods to act on ds pleaseeee
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by tpia5: 3:02pm On Jan 21, 2013
^ just face your front, and stop taking panadol for another person's headache.

Besides, learn to use the search function, if you must meddle in what doesnt concern you.
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by kaze4blues(m): 8:37pm On Jan 21, 2013
tpia@:
^ just face your front, and stop taking panadol for another person's headache.

Besides, learn to use the search function, if you must meddle in what doesnt concern you.

What re all these rantins about?

U refferrin to ma post?......

Seems u re speakin japanese?
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jan 21, 2013
nwando: What is there to educate anybody about tribal marks
Any parent that does that to a child in today's Nigeria ought to be arrested

I was just imagining the pains she had felt during the early stage! embarassed

Very sad
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by slimyem: 11:03pm On Jan 21, 2013
Though it was given as symbols of beautification amongst other things back in the days,i don't see anything beautiful about tribal marks.
I have never met anyone with tribal marks who sees it as a thing of pride or something to bless their children with.
I have an aunt and uncle with tribal marks and they really would have been better off without it
If scars are not cool,then tribal marks is a sorrier sentenceundecided
It is BAD,BAD,BAD!!!
It is cruelty to deface a helpless person like that!
Besides,in a country that's trying to rise above ethnicity and tribalism,i think its okay that the practice is slowly fading away.
Re: Tribal Marks: Are They Bad? by kaze4blues(m): 7:02am On Jan 22, 2013
After all has been said...it seems tribal marks re now considered Obsolete, barbaric nd evn an act dat is cruel.

I don't knw abt naija bt am sure in developed world, d law wil strictly prohibit any act of incision onto d face.

I wish naija govt can follow suit....

But mehn.....our ppl wil soon shout nd even call gej clueless shld dt b d case

(1) (2) (Reply)

Having Trouble Understanding My Nigerian Husband / I Kept All My Money In My Wife's Account, Now There's Problem / Please I Need Help. I Think Im Being Too Harsh On Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.