Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You (20610 Views)

Fake Marriages Taking Place In Nigeria, Says Immigration Boss / The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage / Crazy Things Women Do To Save Their Marriages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by Eddygourdo(m): 8:26am On Feb 10, 2016
I have seen good ones, I have seen bad ones, I have seen people in hell, I have seen people who hell will be a reprieve due to their experiences in their marriages. The same can be said of marriages involving people from the same village but the difference is clearly the frequency. I have an igbo colleague who is happily married to a yoruba man. If you give her an igbo man, she will spit him out. Yet and yet this scenarios appears a one off as compared to all the negative stories I hear and encountered.

Amara was beaten thoroughly by her in laws simply because she fought her yoruba husband after catching him in the loins of another married woman. She fought him, she felt betrayed, she was the primary bread winner of the home as husband drops 5k most times for food and yet expects to eat three times a day.... She wanted her marriage to work out and decided to fight for it. Her Inlaws saw it that she wanted to kill their son so she inherits their properties alone having not borne children in the two year marriage. They battered her and threw her belongings out.

Tunji marries an igbo woman who has blatantly refused to be welcoming to his people yet her people litter his home with long and short visits. She is divisive about joining his white garment church and insists they travel to her village as is the igbo way during yuletide, without thought of his finances.

Nnedi recently realised after her husband's death that he had six children outside without her knowledge and painfully her in laws insists they must be accepted and will take part in the share of the estate

Plenty plenty tori, in my own experience though I might be wrong. It is not uncommon in yoruba land for a married woman to leave her husband's home to the home of another man and start bearing children there. It's not considered a stigma or an entirely bad thing. If an igbo woman does that, she will be excommunicated and treated like a leper. In yoruba land it not so much a stigma that an unmarried lady has a child out of wedlock (a family came for child dedication in a church with such a circumstance for their daughter) this isn't the case in igbo traditions. No matter how poor an igbo man is, he sees it as his primary duty to provide for his family first before himself I noticed this isn't the case with some other people. The yorubas are a happy people who don't joke with an opportunity to enjoy themselves through parties etc. Apparently my point is that some things that appear bad in one context to a tribe is perfectly acceptable for another tribe. Most times these differences is the major cause of strife between inter-tribal marriages.

I for one does not buy the idea but hey, it's different things for different people. So help those who thinks it's cool. Share experiences and advise to inter-tribal marriages on how to avoid conflict arising from misconceptions and differences

1 Like

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by obiorathesubtle: 8:34am On Feb 10, 2016
the only problem is with the individual and not the tribe.

There's no pattern

20 Likes

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by sinaj(f): 8:41am On Feb 10, 2016
Thread not for me smiley
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by cruzita(f): 8:42am On Feb 10, 2016
I don't like inter tribal marriage

9 Likes

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by obidaddy: 8:50am On Feb 10, 2016
I may soon get married to a northerner. I need to read y'all experiences before tying the knot for life. grin grin
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by emitope: 8:59am On Feb 10, 2016
For me personally, when I look @ people, I do not see tribes; I only see individuals.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by ahnie: 9:38am On Feb 10, 2016
Mr op,i see them yoru(bars) coming for your Balls.

1 Like

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by ifyalways(f): 10:09am On Feb 10, 2016
I love inter-tribal marriages and it has thus far worked perfectly in my family. It's super cool to have Yoruba, Hausa,Ewe, Fante/ashanti, Itskekiri, Ijaw,Igala etc aunties, uncles and cousins and in-laws. Family reunions are always a blast. kiss cool cool

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by Adaezeagu(f): 10:13am On Feb 10, 2016
O
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by Eddygourdo(m): 10:13am On Feb 10, 2016
ifyalways:
I love inter-tribal marriages and it has thus far worked perfectly in my family. It's super cool to have Yoruba, Hausa,Ewe, Fante/ashanti, Itskekiri, Ijaw,Igala etc aunties, uncles and cousins and in-laws. Family reunions are always a blast. kiss cool cool
really that's lovely. How did you cope with the different ideologies

2 Likes

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by Eddygourdo(m): 10:14am On Feb 10, 2016
ahnie:
Mr op,i see them yoru(bars) coming for your Balls.
I didn't insult them na. I stated facts even they know is true. My balls are safe. Share ur views hon everybody can learn

1 Like

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by Eddygourdo(m): 10:17am On Feb 10, 2016
emitope:
For me personally, when I look @ people, I do not see tribes; I only see individuals.
but marriage is a communal affair. You have to deal with customs and diverse views with in laws. Believe u me the differences will be obvious then. Don't u think

4 Likes

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by ifyalways(f): 10:20am On Feb 10, 2016
Eddygourdo:
really that's lovely. How did you cope with the different ideologies
Same way you cope with people with same ideologies : Keep an open mind, listen, watch and learn.

3 Likes

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by emitope: 10:28am On Feb 10, 2016
Eddygourdo:
but marriage is a communal affair. You have to deal with customs and diverse views with in laws. Believe u me the differences will be obvious then. Don't u think
Yea, I do agree with u......its d customs & views that causes issues but y is it dat for 2 couples with d same inter tribal combo; one will work, d oda will not....it all boils down to 'who they are'......& not Whr they r from.....
plus their ability to av 'freed their Minds' from customs that are @ loggerheads with those of the partners tribe......IMHO

4 Likes

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by Nobody: 10:51am On Feb 10, 2016
Lolz. I am from ... ... and I am proudly married to a .. ...man (Edited for privacy reasons). We are going on strong and honestly I am very glad I married Him ( I still told Him this morning). I think it depends on the individual. Is he or she someone you can love or already love? Is he or shr faithful, kind, intelligent, Godly, hard working? Does your family accept him/her and vice versa? We made sure we had our families consent and He was my kind of 'ideal' man ( he had 90% of all the qualities I wanted/ listed in my list- yes, I had a list and the tribe he comes from was not in my list. lolz). So there u go. Like my Hubby will say when I ask him where say a particular Green eagles footballer comes from. He will reply- He is a Nigerian! lolz. We are Nigerians first before Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa etc. The only tribe I could not marry from personally is Hausa cos of the diff in religion. Though if he were a great hausa christian, I MAY not hv minded.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by Eddygourdo(m): 10:55am On Feb 10, 2016
Loisemm:
Lolz. I am from Akwa ibom and I am proudly married to a Yoruba man. We are going on strong and honestly I am very glad I married Him ( I still told Him this morning). I think it depends on the individual. Is he or she someone you can love or already love? Is he or shr faithful, kind, intelligent, Godly, hard working? Does your family accept him/her and vice versa? We made sure we had our families consent and He was my kind of 'ideal' man ( he had 90% of all the qualities I wanted/ listed in my list- yes, I had a list and the tribe he comes from was not in my list. lolz). So there u go. Like my Hubby will say when I ask him where say a particular Green eagles footballer comes from. He will reply- He is a Nigerian! lolz. We are Nigerians first before Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa etc. The only tribe I could not marry from personally is Hausa cos of the diff in religion. Though if he were a great hausa christian, I MAY not hv minded.
wow. Niceeeeeee

1 Like

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by tonychristopher: 11:00am On Feb 10, 2016
I will advise people to alwyas marry their kind ....to avoid stories that touch

But if you find love elsehwere pls make it work

Happy valentines

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by Chidoks(f): 11:04am On Feb 10, 2016
The success/failure of such marriages is determined by how far/close they live near their extended family members,call it external influences. The less,the better.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by Nobody: 11:13am On Feb 10, 2016
I'm trying interracial cheesy

1 Like

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by Eddygourdo(m): 11:25am On Feb 10, 2016
Chidoks:
The success/failure of such marriages is determined by how far/close they live near their extended family members,call it external influences. The less,the better.
agree with the influence thing. But guess even if one is far, things like marriages, burials and other family events will always force the hand of the couple to deal with external family
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by Eddygourdo(m): 11:25am On Feb 10, 2016
Nubian113:
I'm trying interracial cheesy
really. Well most white guys I know are cool dudes. But I dislike white women. Too emotional. So how is it working for u though
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by Nobody: 11:37am On Feb 10, 2016
Eddygourdo:
really. Well most white guys I know are cool dudes. But I dislike white women. Too emotional. So how is it working for u though

Oh so interracial gave you black and white Is ok grin

It's going great our differences make the relationship great. He is a Quarter white, Jamaican, and Chinese so eye Candy was the product made.

I'm East African so I don't look "typical" Black but I am the original source kinda black so its All Eye Candy grin
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by Masterclass32: 11:59am On Feb 10, 2016
tonychristopher:
I will advise people to alwyas marry their kind ....to avoid stories that touch

But if you find love elsehwere pls make it work

Happy valentines

You're so on point like point and kill. Na your side I dey for this matter.

Its preferable for people to marry their kind - and we can still achieve one Nigeria(before someone tells me that inter-tribal relationships promote unity).

3 Likes

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by Eddygourdo(m): 12:04pm On Feb 10, 2016
Nubian113:

Oh so interracial gave you black and white Is ok grin

It's going great our differences make the relationship great. He is a Quarter white, Jamaican, and Chinese so eye Candy was the product made.

I'm East African so I don't look "typical" Black but I am the original source kinda black so its All Eye Candy grin
nice combo. You both will make cute babies. So how do you handle ideological differences between urself and extended interests without conflict
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by Nobody: 12:17pm On Feb 10, 2016
Eddygourdo:
nice combo. You both will make cute babies. So how do you handle ideological differences between urself and extended interests without conflict

Like I said we appreciate and respect our differences. It makes the relationship interesting. A man from my tribe will be a critic while a man from a completely different background is fascinated by me and mine.

I am civilized, sometimes, and he's too civilized sometimes so with conflict it is like any other relationship lol

3 Likes

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by tonychristopher: 1:06pm On Feb 10, 2016
Masterclass32:

You're so on point like point and kill. Na your side I dey for this matter.

Its preferable for people to marry their kind - and we can still achieve one Nigeria(before someone tells me that inter-tribal relationships promote unity).

Inter tribal marriages doesn't promote any unity....that's a fact

One thing I hate about inter tribal marriages is that it tends to makes the offsprings of these union confused

If you ask a child from an igbo father and Yoruba mother where are you from..the response you get I's this ...my father is igbo and my mother Yoruba

The child forgets that automatically you are from the place your father is

Secondly there seems to be intimidation ..like when you marry an igbo woman ..by default you will likely be on the side of your mum ...

Look at yemi alade..she is a Yoruba with igbo mum but from her doings and her kind of music even association she is tilting and tilts towards igbo...don't be surprised if she marries an igbo man

But if you find love in anytribe go for it...one thing about marriage is that love is not enough ...there are greater things than love such as compatibility et al

So that had I known won't come at last

But women when you are getting older and with bad history if marrying from another tribe will help the situation

I support it

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by tonychristopher: 1:11pm On Feb 10, 2016
Loisemm:
Lolz. I am from Akwa ibom and I am proudly married to a Yoruba man. We are going on strong and honestly I am very glad I married Him ( I still told Him this morning). I think it depends on the individual. Is he or she someone you can love or already love? Is he or shr faithful, kind, intelligent, Godly, hard working? Does your family accept him/her and vice versa? We made sure we had our families consent and He was my kind of 'ideal' man ( he had 90% of all the qualities I wanted/ listed in my list- yes, I had a list and the tribe he comes from was not in my list. lolz). So there u go. Like my Hubby will say when I ask him where say a particular Green eagles footballer comes from. He will reply- He is a Nigerian! lolz. We are Nigerians first before Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa etc. The only tribe I could not marry from personally is Hausa cos of the diff in religion. Though if he were a great hausa christian, I MAY not hv minded.

Nice ..but as a man stop cheapening yourself by telling the man how you are glad he married you..that statement has a way of puncturing your worth as a woman

A man should be head over heals on a woman not the other way round

Don't make the dude look at you that he did you a favour

Take this from a married man

But keep appreciating him but don't diminish your value mbok

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by jashar(f): 2:10pm On Feb 10, 2016
Loisemm:

Sis, you married a strong and good man. Because sorry to say, most Yoruba families don't like their sons marrying 'outsiders'.

I wonder why?

7 Likes

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by jashar(f): 2:13pm On Feb 10, 2016
tonychristopher:

Nice ..but as a man stop cheapening yourself by telling the man how you are glad he married you..that statement has a way of puncturing your worth as a woman

A man should be head over heals on a woman not the other way round

Don't make the dude look at you that he did you a favour

Take this from a married man

But keep appreciating him but don't diminish your value mbok

No offence oooo..... I'm trying to wrap my head over the meaning of what you just posted. it's not entering.
So, appreciating ones spouse makes them cheap or what?

36 Likes

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by tonychristopher: 2:57pm On Feb 10, 2016
jashar:

No offence oooo..... I'm trying to wrap my head over the meaning of what you just posted. it's not entering.
So, appreciating ones spouse makes them cheap or what?

No dearie..it doesn't but too much of everything you know

There should be moderation

Wishing you the best

2 Likes

Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by jashar(f): 3:57pm On Feb 10, 2016
tonychristopher:

No dearie..it doesn't but too much of everything you know

There should be moderation

Wishing you the best

Ok. Thank you.
Re: Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You by Nobody: 5:15pm On Feb 10, 2016
I don't fancy inter tribal marriage.
especially if the couples cultures are far apart.

the more inter tribal marriages we have, the closer the extinction of some minority languages and cultures.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Can Someone Who Decides To Live A Single And Childless Life Be Happy? / A Father Cradling A Baby And Styling His Daughter's Hair / My Cousin "Disowned" Her Son.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.