Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,376 members, 7,836,532 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:27 AM

What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? (15497 Views)

Photos: If This Will Curb Corruption, Who Do You Want In The Box Next? / Adamawa To Spend N200 Million On Prayer Warriors, Vigilante To Curb Boko Haram / GEJ Wants Direct Access To Govt Funds Blocked To Curb Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 15, 2013
SELFWORTH:

Religion does not equal corruption.

In fact, if we all love and live as God intended (i. e selfless), we will not have corruption as an issue and we will not be having this debate now.

Religion is a personal choice. Corruption is also a personal choice . One is meant to enhance lives and our dealings with humanity and the other is not encouraged by any religion for obvious reasons.

you did not read my statement correctly..or did u even read it at all?
i never said religion equals corruption.....i said Nigerians choose religion over fighting for their rights....hence, they choose peace over violence that it takes to be free...
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jan 15, 2013
--
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by manfred10(m): 9:11pm On Jan 15, 2013
mmmustapha: Kill all d corrupt politicians, corrupt bankers, marketers, civil servant n securities
Who will kill them?You?

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Tbeiz: 9:12pm On Jan 15, 2013
ACCOUNTABILITY

When a thief watches a thief , let's see who will steal.
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jan 15, 2013
--
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Akeud(m): 9:17pm On Jan 15, 2013
This is a very serious topic, I think all hands should be on desk.
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by SELFWORTH: 9:24pm On Jan 15, 2013
Akeud: This is a very serious topic, I think all hands should be on desk.

...deck
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by 2sexy(m): 9:30pm On Jan 15, 2013
Sagamite: @ topic question:

Get rid of the achievementless person you people voted for as president because he is a Southerner, a Xtian and/or 'his name is Goodluck so he must have luck'.

When I say fucktards should not have a right to vote, some people would be screaming democracy and rights.
kai.. baba saggy! na why I dey follow u be this ooo. ur bluntness pass laser beam.

When I said the same thing, silly and sentimental Nigerians gave this same reasons you listed above. My ex room mate almost faught me. I told them they were in for a great surprise... some called me prophet of doom, mean while na commoon sense ooo.

today what do we see?
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by SELFWORTH: 9:30pm On Jan 15, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

you did not read my statement correctly..or did u even read it at all?
i never said religion equals corruption.....i said Nigerians choose religion over fighting for their rights....hence, they choose peace over violence that it takes to be free...

Apologies . Misunderstood your comments .
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by gemini35(m): 9:33pm On Jan 15, 2013
i, think our leaders should take an oat possibly ,with okija shrine,i, think corruption will stop,or ghana ,s style kill the cabals,
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by BLAND1(m): 9:33pm On Jan 15, 2013
corruption is jst an issue of the mind n self conciosness. It is important that each n evry 1 of us nids to change our mentality n attitudes towadz life n issues as it concerns us. If i can chage my thinkin 4 good, den corruptn will end. Simple
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jan 15, 2013
--
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by AMADU77: 9:40pm On Jan 15, 2013
if i have the right to talk let me say : relax n enjoy it, its like this, it was always like this, n its gonna be always like this
cheers
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by lagcity(m): 9:41pm On Jan 15, 2013
Make me president. There will be no corruption.
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jan 15, 2013
On serious note, nothing can stop corruption in nigeria because it is laced with tribalism. Tribalism + corruption= disaster.
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by MrNazreal: 9:45pm On Jan 15, 2013
Na today we don hear 'what can b don'?
Mak dem go elect d pres. of Somalia 2 cum rule us na, atleast him better past GEJ!
mtcheeeewwww........
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by MrNazreal: 9:53pm On Jan 15, 2013
50calibre: There is just one thing that can curb corruption in Nigeria as it is right now, and that is draconian laws.

When I rise to power someday, I'm going to implement set of anti corruption laws such as death penalty for theft of above 500,000 Nara and 25 years for theft below, completely re-write the constitution, giving myself absolute power, strong human right laws for the common man ( politicians would be exempted from these laws), one 10 year term for presidency, more effective and efficient judiciary that dishes out justice fast, massive reduction in politician's salaries so that politics is no longer a do or die affair, reduce the amount of foreign interest in Nigeria and lastly repeal democracy.

Who is on my team?
*yawn* X8
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jan 15, 2013
People fear too much, we fear to fight for freedom, we fear to fight for liberty, we fear to fight for justice, we fear to fight for happiness, we always get reason to fear, we no wan die, we no wan quench, I get one child, my mama dey for house, my papa dey for house, i wan build house, i wan enjoy, i no wan go, so police man go slap your face you no go talk, army go flog u for nothin even though u dey beg, how long una go dey manage dis oppression and maltreatment?

2 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by miftah: 10:27pm On Jan 15, 2013
The solution is as simple as to eliminate all d present and past govt office holder. lo ba tan
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by raystanley(m): 10:29pm On Jan 15, 2013
ypzilanti: In India, after the riots, they now have 'fast track' courts that handle rape cases. The fast track courts by definition, must hold everyday until the judgement has been served. We should do same for corruption cases in Nigeria.

Also, EFCC should begin investigating Judges. We all know that there is major corruption in the judiciary...do you not think it is odd that no single judge has ever been tried in court?

Finally, there should be minimum mandatory sentences for corruption. This means that once you are found guilty, regardless of any plea bargain, there is a minimum time you mist spend in prison. I recommend a minimum of fifteen years without possibility of parole.

If I was president, on first week in office I would lay foundation for a huge 1000 inmate prison complex in Abuja, strictly for corrupt government officials. That will serve as notice to them all, that it's no longer business a usual.
THAT'S WAS WHAT BUHARI, WANTED TO DO BEFORE YOU GUYS DENIED HIM ACCESS TO ASO ROCK! good for you.
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jan 15, 2013
raystanley:
THAT'S WAS WHAT BUHARI, WANTED TO DO BEFORE YOU GUYS DENIED HIM ACCESS TO ASO ROCK! good for you.

How do you know that's what he wanted to do? why didn't he do it the first time he was president?

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by GUNSLINGER: 10:39pm On Jan 15, 2013
Mr Kwame Peprah former Ghana's minister of finance and his deputy Victor Serlomey, were jailed in 2003 for 8 yrs for causing financial loss of $20 million to the state in a rice project. Whilst in Nsawam prison, Mr Serlomey complained that there were too many mosquitoes in his cell. grin grin grin grin..... His health deteriorated due to heart problems and in 2005 they were both granted reprieved. Mr. Serlomey died two months after his released.

Former member of parliament for Bawku central in Ghana Adamu Dramani Sakande who is serving a two years jail term, had been granted presidential pardon due to heart problems. In 2009 he was charged with perjury and election fraud.
Ghana might be a tiny country compared to the ANTS of Africa Nigeria but in Ghana they talk the talk and walk the walk but in Nigeria is all talk no Action. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Revolva(m): 10:45pm On Jan 15, 2013
Well just throw a missile at the house of senate and aso rock and every national conference...!BOOM!
All of dem die that's way then fresh blood will start and the nation can start afresh
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by REVOLUTNIS: 10:46pm On Jan 15, 2013
by shutting down nairaland
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jan 15, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Some mischief makers and propagandists have been telling us the SUPER STORY that corruption in Nigeria has reached a 'monumental' proportion in recent years. I call it SUPER STORY because we've witnessed this over and over again since independence. The SUPER STORY of "monumental corruption" has always been a tool for those in the BUSINESS of govt bashing and an excuse for those determined to bring down govt at ALL COST or coupists.

Two examples to buttress my point:

1) Nzeogwu (and his gang) told this same SUPER STORY (as reason for seeking political power) in his 1966 coup speech, partly reproduced below ( Note: the word corruption was repeated several times):

..."In the name of the Supreme Council of the Revolution of the Nigerian Armed Forces, I declare martial law over the Northern Provinces of Nigeria....The aim of the Revolutionary Council is to establish a strong united and prosperous nation, free from corruption and internal strife....You are hereby warned that looting, arson, homosexuality, molestation, embezzlement, bribery or corruption, obstruction of the revolution, sabotage, subversion, false alarms and assistance to foreign invaders, are all offences punishable by death sentence....Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society"....Major Nzeogwu's Speech announcing Nigeria's first coup (circa noon, January 15, 1966, Radio Kaduna)

2) Buhari (and his gang) told his own SUPER STORY when they struck in 1983, as partly reproduced below:

...In pursuance of the primary objective of saving our great nation from total collapse, I, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari of the Nigerian army have, after due consultation amongst the services of the armed forces, been formally invested with the authority of the Head of the Federal Military Government and the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria....The last general election was anything but free and fair. The only political parties that could complain of election rigging are those parties that lacked the resources to rig. There is ample evidence that rigging and thuggery were relative to the resources available to the parties....While corruption and indiscipline have been associated with our state of under-development, these two evils in our body politics have attained unprecedented height in the past few years. The corrupt, inept and insensitive leadership in the last four years has been the source of immorality and impropriety in our society....BUHARI’S FIRST SPEECH AFTER THE MILITARY COUP OF 31ST DECEMBER 1983.

With benefit of hindsight, it is OBVIOUS that these interventions, despite the beautifully crafted SUPER STORIES, ended in DISASTER. The Nzeogwu and co intervention pushed the country into a civil war while the Buhari intervention lead the country into another 16yrs of WANDERING IN THE WILDERNESS under military dictatorship.

Consequently, every fair minded person would agree that the solution to corruption does not lie in the hands of mischief makers or hypocrites who scream about "monumental corruption" with an eye on grabbing political power.

Also corruption in Nigeria cannot be curbed by one man in Abuja or what some persons call "political will"

My suggestions for curbing corruption in Nigeria are as follows:

1) Consistent free and fair elections. Political leadership that are truely elected by the people at all levels will be most likely less corrupt.

2) Re-structuring of the country. Power to harness both human and material resources should revert back to the states. When the sharing of resources is reduced at Abuja, corruption at Abuja will also reduce.

3) Open up as much sectors as possible for private sector participation. The private sector is not as corrupt as the public sector

4) Leverage on technology to minimise corruption in certain sectors. By doing certain things electronically and minimising human involvement, corruption will be minimised. A perfect example is the use of mobile phones to distribute subsidized fertilizers

5) Vibrant media: the media must step up its game and investigate and report, with an open mind, every area of our national life.

6) Citizens participation in governance. EVERY citizen must play his or her role in the fight against corruption. Whether by voting out a corrupt or bad govt, insisting that the right thing is done wherever we find ourselves, or by protesting or occupying when necessary.

Share with us how you think corruption can be curbed in Nigeria

What is needed to get rid of corruption?

Well, em, we could start by eliminating paid sycophants like yourself.....
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Hardfact: 10:51pm On Jan 15, 2013
Very pertinent. Above all, Nigerian youth right from here nairaland (and the masses in general) must begin to thoroughly sensitive themselves as to how best they can change the system, their ignorance being an integral part of the mess we are suffering from.

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by lmm4real: 11:17pm On Jan 15, 2013
I think this post is another calculated attempt by these GEJ boys to rally support for their drowning government,if you can open ur gutter and support the crazy phone agenda of the agriculture minister then this report along side several of ur other suggestion are bias and not credible to me. He who wants to come to equity should come to equity with clean hand. Personally I think the reasons for the several military coup are credible, because mere looking at the amount of corruption that has taken place since 1999 till date, I can't help but see reasons with the military guys. My own view. God bless Nija.
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jan 15, 2013
ypzilanti: In India, after the riots, they now have 'fast track' courts that handle rape cases. The fast track courts by definition, must hold everyday until the judgement has been served. We should do same for corruption cases in Nigeria.

Also, EFCC should begin investigating Judges. We all know that there is major corruption in the judiciary...do you not think it is odd that no single judge has ever been tried in court?

Finally, there should be minimum mandatory sentences for corruption. This means that once you are found guilty, regardless of any plea bargain, there is a minimum time you mist spend in prison. I recommend a minimum of fifteen years without possibility of parole.

If I was president, on first week in office I would lay foundation for a huge 1000 inmate prison complex in Abuja, strictly for corrupt government officials. That will serve as notice to them all, that it's no longer business a usual.
i dey feel you die... How u take read my mind? Dat prison go do.. All state of d federation.. 2 square meal.. my 1st attack will be on d judiciary, financial rehabiltation; i will cut down d salaries of top government official and their alawi, with little extra cash they will be less xtravagancy and little overborder medical patronage.. And dey will be forced to trust and invest in our hospital and economy.. Increase import duty.. How i wish i go be mr ppresido for 1 month,...
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Xfactoria: 12:01am On Jan 16, 2013
Death penalty for corruption in public office, life imprisonment for corporate corruption!!!

Whoever steals from our common heritage or misappropriate funds or compromise his/her office to the detriment of the masses does not deserve to live because their self-centered acts could have resulted in many innocent deaths. Everyday people die on roads for which money has been appropriated, in hospitals for lack of adequate care because somebody embezzled funds meant for procurement of facilities etc.

It worked in China. They only recently amended the law to life imprisonment but for many years it was death by hanging. Until we make it a matter of life and death, nothing will change in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by dragonsdj(m): 12:09am On Jan 16, 2013
DOWNLOAD gateway vpn
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by pianogirl(f): 12:17am On Jan 16, 2013
(1) Implement the "Jerry Rawlings" method
(2) Re-introduce firing squad

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by boron10(m): 12:41am On Jan 16, 2013
Sorry to say o, the only solution to our corruption is allowing our colonial masters to re-colonize us. We were not ripe for independence when we got it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagos PDP Calls For Cancellation Of Presidential Election Results / Audu Ogbeh Launches Agriculture Roadmap / Disquiet In National Assembly As Clerk, Senior Officials Move To Extend Stay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.