Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,239 members, 7,836,147 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? (15495 Views)

Photos: If This Will Curb Corruption, Who Do You Want In The Box Next? / Adamawa To Spend N200 Million On Prayer Warriors, Vigilante To Curb Boko Haram / GEJ Wants Direct Access To Govt Funds Blocked To Curb Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by spyder880(m): 7:18pm On Jan 15, 2013
Flyboy Zee: The penalty for Corruption should be STONING TO DEATH OF THE CORRUPT OFFICIAL BY ALL THOSE WHO WERE DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY AFFECTED BY HIS/HER CORRUPT PRACTICES AND HIS/HER BODY DONATED TO THE NEAREST TEACHING HOSPITAL AS CARDAVER FOR MEDICAL STUDENTS.

Who will sign this into law? I am sure you are not hoping to get this law passed by the corrupt legislators?

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Eazeee(m): 7:19pm On Jan 15, 2013
REVOLUTION. I mean a Castro-like Revolution or Rawlings-like Revolution. We hav 2 seperate all d weeds from d crops n cremate dis weeds 4 gud. I pray 2 c dis day

2 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by kingingkinging: 7:21pm On Jan 15, 2013
I want to respond not because you post story was reasonable but to make known your hidden agenda for writing this article.

1.Your two examples above are too shallow to make conclusion on any issue;
2.Ezogwu's coup was not totally successful has he was unable to achieve his aim, but such action in Ghana has a positive result Jerry Rawlings killed all the corrupt leaders and you can see Ghana today, a model country in Africa. Ghana is now a reference point of an ideal African setting.
3. Gen Buhari did not plan the 1983 coup and was not part of the coup but was invited to lead having discovered his good and faithful attitude in the Nigerian Army, a condition/ trait he displayed within the short period. He has a sheet, if not clean totally, that is better than others before and after him including the most corrupt of them GEJ-fuel susbsidy, pension, immigration,NNPC, etc.
4. You cannot do image laundry for GEJ, I voted for him so you are not in a better position to preach him to us. the truth is he is not cut out to lead. He is a faithful and good follower. He should support people who can lead. We are tired of people who are not really ready for leadership but got there by circumstance. Nigeria is a complex state and she needs a leader tah is intellectually capable of such.
5. It is only a dull person that will conclude that Nigeria is not utterly corrupt even the blind can feel it, we need serious minded person that will not be afraid of the Madueke's, Oteh's, Patience's,Faruoks, Otedola's, Ngozi's.
I therefore, put to you if a Ribadu as president or Buhari would not do better in fighting corruption. Pls be frank and objective.

5 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by TableLeg(m): 7:22pm On Jan 15, 2013
NOTHING!
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by vanstanzy(m): 7:23pm On Jan 15, 2013
mmmustapha: Kill all d corrupt politicians, corrupt bankers, marketers, civil servant n securities

A senseless aboki, always a senseless aboki. MALUUU!!! BRAINS. Killing will solve everything, not so? Including u. angry angry angry
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by tayejay(m): 7:27pm On Jan 15, 2013
oily+Yoruba:
Simple disintegration will curb corruption
[color=#990000][/color]
That's very untrue! Each side will jst only succeed in having corrupt individuals heading each fraction, and mind u the corrupt heads of each fraction will still come 2geda 4 common goals. I think in as much as everyone has a role 2 play, corrupt persons caught shud b made scapegoats, severely punished, perhaps death sentence 2 serve as example 2 others prospective culprits. Additionally, leaders, highly placed individuals should show good examples. Nigerians are good followers
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Jorian(m): 7:27pm On Jan 15, 2013
make them pack the money give me, make i chop then i go know wetin to do make e stop............................. smiley wink grin embarassed tongue
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by kpozite(m): 7:29pm On Jan 15, 2013
vanstanzy: Elect me as Nigerias next GCFR and get ur answer or Ask Google!!! grin grin grin

Not funny, foolish and steupid

2 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by trolling(m): 7:30pm On Jan 15, 2013
wipe off all your leaders
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by gudugudumeje: 7:31pm On Jan 15, 2013
like oily+Yoruba said, very weak centre ad simply disintegration will do.... whether we like it or,. not it iscoming on the way. take it or, leave it.....
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by IYANGBALI: 7:34pm On Jan 15, 2013
Kill them all,let blood flow
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Hoodrat(m): 7:39pm On Jan 15, 2013
Sterilized all the traditional rullers who calls themselves polictian and re elect adult between age of 30 to 40 in all areas of the country development.

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Pacesetter2: 7:40pm On Jan 15, 2013
Yomieluv: By making all politicians,and head of institution swear before Ogun(god of thunder) never to be corrupt. Seems God almighty is slow in delivering judgment om them.
God is not slow...only giving them time for repentance...when time lasp then God go strike past thunder

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by automaticcars: 7:47pm On Jan 15, 2013
If Nigeria can do the same thing the Chinese government is doing which is either death penalty or severe prison term with hard labour, corruption is going to be a thing of the past within few months. Nigerians fear to die.

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by MAYOWAAK: 7:48pm On Jan 15, 2013
Exactly what is corruption? If you are a typical Nigerian, you would define it as government officials looting our treasury. In our view, everything starts and ends in government offices. Should we then be surprised that almost everybody is campaigning against corruption in Nigeria? We are all waging a war against corruption. We are all appalled. We are all agreed that corruption is dragging the nation backward. The main reason Nigeria is not making progress, we say authoritatively, is that those in government are just stealing public money.

Even—surprise! surprise!!—government itself is fighting corruption! We have the Code of Conduct Bureau, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and the Nigeria Police Force all fighting corruption. NGOs are campaigning against corruption. Youths are fighting corruption. Lawyers, journalists, doctors, engineers, bankers, pastors, imams, taxi drivers, truck pushers, all are fighting corruption. Fellow Nigerians, if we all are fighting corruption, who then are the people “doing” the corruption? Are they spirits?

Following our failure to win any medal at the 2012 Olympics, some Nigerians launched the humorous campaign that corruption should become an Olympic sport. Nigeria would sweep all the medals at stake, they joked. There is a belief that no country can beat us in the game of corruption. An author wrote: “Corruption is rare in Botswana, common in Ghana and endemic in Nigeria.” There is a feeling that corruption is in our DNA. It is believed that we are genetically corrupt. If you send a five-year-old boy to buy you a piece of cake, chances are he would inflate the price and seek to make away with your change. It is that bad.

So maybe we are wrong to focus our attention on the corruption in government alone. In recent times, the organised private sector has proved to be as corrupt as the public sector. The massive rot in the banking industry provided all the proofs we needed to understand this. But I am not about to write on the destruction of the financial sector through greed and mindless manipulation by the bankers and their accomplices. The stealing of billions of naira by government officials is not my focus either. No, I am not about to write about the multi-billion naira pensions scam. The fuel subsidy tryst, which brought the private and public sectors together in unholy matrimony, is not of interest to me today. We have written on these usual suspects a million times.

What I seek to do today is drag our attention to the unusual suspects whom we perhaps ignore from day to day as we talk about corruption—the so-called lower classes of the society. Listen to the radio, spend a few minutes at the vendors’ stand, or tarry awhile at the village square. Everybody is discussing corruption and how “our leaders” are looting us blind. It is usually a case of “we the ordinary people” against “they the government”. Somehow, it keeps escaping the attention of these “ordinary people” that they (we) are part of the system that is destroying the country and making our lives worse from day to day.

I will cite five instances to illustrate my point. One, at a construction site, a man came to market cement. He said a bag was N1750, including transport to site. But the builder said he was getting his supply cheaper, at N1700. After a brief argument, the cement seller gave out a secret of the trade which he called “repacking”. Cement sellers, he said, have a way of opening the bag, taking out a few kilos of cement and then re-sealing the bag. The kilos so stolen are re-bagged. That gives an additional income to the cement seller. From 10 or so bags, he can get an additional one bag. Is that not worth an Olympic gold for corruption? Yet, this same set of people will gather at the village square to discuss how “our leaders” are looting the treasury!

Two, rice sellers. This is a well-known secret. They have a long rod they insert into a bag to steal a few “mudus”. They then re-pack into an additional bag. That’s additional income. Three, the bread sellers. They remove a few slices from several loaves to make an additional loaf! Four, the petrol station attendant. He sells N200 fuel to a motorcyclist without “rubbing off” the meter. When a car comes along, he continues from where he stopped and pockets the additional N200. Another trick is to sell fuel of N109 to a motorist and then sigh that there is power failure. He tells you to look at the meter very well, that he had already sold N1009 (not N109) worth of petrol to you. If you don’t pay attention, he will fleece you of N900. Five, the woman selling garri to you has already tampered with the measurement by battering the can. Yet, all of them (all of us) will call the radio station to complain about “our leaders” and corruption.

My father-in-law, a doctor, once told me a heart-breaking story. In the 1990s when he was working at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), an eight-year-old boy died. As he took the body to the mortuary, the attendant told him: “Doctor, you have to find us something o!” That means he had to give him a tip. A morbid tip! If you bury the dead at some cemeteries in Lagos, you need to “find something” for the cemetery workers. If not, as soon as you turn your back, they will unearth the casket, steal any valuables they can find, dump the corpse in the grave and sell the casket for peanuts. Yet, all of them (all of us) will gather at the vendors’ stand the following morning to complain about how corruption is killing Nigeria! Doesn’t this also deserve an Olympic gold medal?

Let’s look at it this way. If the person who steals and re-bags a few kilos of cement gets into government, is he not likely to steal pensioners’ money? If the market woman becomes a bank MD, would depositors’ money be safe in her care? We seem to think that people suddenly become corrupt when they join government. No. We are groomed for corruption. For a plumber, for instance, it is part of his training that if he needs 20 pipes, he should quote for 40. He will buy 20 and pocket the balance. Cheating and short-changing customers are part and parcel of the training of artisans here. They are actually trained to tell lies without batting an eyelid.

Since this sleazy system produces our leaders, maybe we deserve the leadership we always get then…

17 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jan 15, 2013
Nigerians must first stop depending on God to miraculously fix the country..get off their ass..and do something about it collectively....after that nothing can be done about corruption...
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Tmum: 7:49pm On Jan 15, 2013
oily+Yoruba:
Simple disintegration will curb corruption
i dnt tink dat wil bt i wud av prefered rapture....
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Reference(m): 7:52pm On Jan 15, 2013
Nothing. We are inherently a corrupt people. And since we cannot all commit suicide.... so let's enjoy the corruption party.
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by lacasa: 7:57pm On Jan 15, 2013
Ask China and Ghana
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jan 15, 2013
Nigeria is a fail state, with fail government and very poor infrastructure....when a country has fail govern and fail infrastructure, the people have two options. (1) fight for their rights. (2) dont fight and depend on God to do miracles and solve their problems. unfortunately, Nigerians people have chose the latter. yes there are some people that are fighting for human rights but those few have zero to little voice to effect any real change.... Nigerian people are overly dependent on religion...so they are treated like slaves....'suffer on earth, but you enjoy in heave mentality' thats average Nigerian thinking..Ghana is not perfect ive lived there for a while...but they are doing a lot better then nigerians for sure.
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jan 15, 2013
Reducing the high cost of Garrium tetraoxide.
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 7:59pm On Jan 15, 2013
STIFF penalty, not necessarily death penalty for corruptible crimes.
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jan 15, 2013
vanstanzy:

If i give u the answer, whats in it for me? Consultation fee?

And u copied the whole text to say rubbish. Chei

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jan 15, 2013
NUKE THE FVCKING COUNTRY OFF THE MAP
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by ykkool: 8:03pm On Jan 15, 2013
Revolution [code][/code]simple
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by GUNSLINGER: 8:05pm On Jan 15, 2013
Executions......... J. J Rawlings way and u will see corruption will be on da low cuz black people we only learn when our backs is against the wall. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by mu2sa2: 8:05pm On Jan 15, 2013
How do u hav free and fair elections with corrupt electoral officers and corrupt judges to declare rigged election as substantially in compliance with d electoral law? Why not tackle corruption frontally and all other things will fall into place.

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by gp66(m): 8:07pm On Jan 15, 2013
individual attitudinal change from the bottom to the top will reduce corruption to d bearest minimum.

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by mmmustapha(m): 8:07pm On Jan 15, 2013
Dygeasy: dem dey write 'corrupt' for head??

Kill bankers? Civil servants? You're sick ahsweariGawd!
did u take ur medicine
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by dridowu: 8:10pm On Jan 15, 2013
Corruption can b curb by not receiving and by not giving
Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by GUNSLINGER: 8:12pm On Jan 15, 2013
kingingkinging: I want to respond not because you post story was reasonable but to make known your hidden agenda for writing this article.

1.Your two examples above are too shallow to make conclusion on any issue;
2.Ezogwu's coup was not totally successful has he was unable to achieve his aim, but such action in Ghana has a positive result Jerry Rawlings killed all the corrupt leaders and you can see Ghana today, a model country in Africa. Ghana is now a reference point of an ideal African setting.
3. Gen Buhari did not plan the 1983 coup and was not part of the coup but was invited to lead having discovered his good and faithful attitude in the Nigerian Army, a condition/ trait he displayed within the short period. He has a sheet, if not clean totally, that is better than others before and after him including the most corrupt of them GEJ-fuel susbsidy, pension, immigration,NNPC, etc.
4. You cannot do image laundry for GEJ, I voted for him so you are not in a better position to preach him to us. the truth is he is not cut out to lead. He is a faithful and good follower. He should support people who can lead. We are tired of people who are not really ready for leadership but got there by circumstance. Nigeria is a complex state and she needs a leader tah is intellectually capable of such.
5. It is only a dull person that will conclude that Nigeria is not utterly corrupt even the blind can feel it, we need serious minded person that will not be afraid of the Madueke's, Oteh's, Patience's,Faruoks, Otedola's, Ngozi's.
I therefore, put to you if a Ribadu as president or Buhari would not do better in fighting corruption. Pls be frank and objective.

Ghana style....... Execute dem all but we know its not going to happen cuz Nigerians are cowards. All talk no action. grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Curb Corruption In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jan 15, 2013
everyone should stop practising corruption. starting from you and me

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Splendour Oko Eze Accuses Abure Of Collecting ₦‎200M Bribe / Olusegun Obasanjo Dances As He Celebrates His 87th Birthday (video) / Why You'll Never Vote For Muhammadu Buhari?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.