Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,278 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:29 AM

History Of The Nigerian National Pledge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / History Of The Nigerian National Pledge (42545 Views)

The National Pledge As A Song: A Celebration Of The Nigerian Spirit (Video) / See The Original Design Of The Nigerian National Flag. / Nigerian National Anthem And Pledge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

History Of The Nigerian National Pledge by awesomet1(m): 10:47am On Jan 16, 2013
The Nigerian National Pledge was created by an eminent Nigeria; Prof (Mrs.) Felicia Adebola Adedoyin in 1976. Professor Adedoyin who was born on the 6th of November 1938 is the 2nd of 6 Children and a princes from the Iji ruling house of Shaki in Shaki West LG, Oke Ogun area of Oyo State.

Her children were already acquainted with reciting the Oath of Allegiance in their school in New York, USA and also the State Pledge(Which was introduced on 1 June, 1976) in Achimotu School in Accra Ghana. Instinctively, out of childhood inquisitiveness and assertiveness, they sought to know why they didn't recite any Pledge while they were in Nigeria. Of course their mother told them the home truth; their fatherland had no National Pledge. They eventually provided the necessary challenge that propelled their mother to conceive and originate a National Pledge for Nigeria, which she achieved in June 1976. Her creative work while aged 38, was featured in the Daily Times of July 15, 1976 in an article titled "Loyalty to the Nation, Pledge".

Barrister Adewusi who was a mutual friend of the Adedoyins and Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo, read the Daily Times article and eventually presented it to Obasanjo in August 1976. Gen. Obasanjo, who was then Head of State, accepted the work and modified it.

In September 1976, he decreed that all school children should recite the Pledge in their assemblies daily. Gen. Obasanjo acknowledged this rare feat in his book "Not My Will" (1990 at pg. 118).

[img]http://2.bp..com/_dokCzTHWluc/R6rzH5AK5VI/AAAAAAAAAAo/bfFvHXZ4XMM/s320/Nigeria+Coat+of+Arms.jpg[/img]

The Pledge
"I pledge to Nigeria my country, to be faithful, loyal and honest. To serve Nigeria will all my strength, to defend her unity, uphold her honour and glory, so help me God."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of The Nigerian National Pledge by obi4eze(m): 12:49pm On Jan 16, 2013
So where is she now?
Re: History Of The Nigerian National Pledge by slimming: 1:00pm On Jan 16, 2013
in her house.
Re: History Of The Nigerian National Pledge by awesomet1(m): 1:26pm On Jan 16, 2013
I believe she's still very much alive. In 2005 she was given a national award. Order of the Niger (OON).
http://www.dawodu.com/award2005.htm
Re: History Of The Nigerian National Pledge by lawbabs: 11:17am On Oct 11, 2015
obi4eze:
So where is she now?

She is a member of Yaba Baptist Church and she is a devout Christian, who still works for the Lord in her old age...
Re: History Of The Nigerian National Pledge by kuntash: 2:28pm On Mar 04, 2018
I was just asked by my ward who wrote the Nigeria national pledge, I had to Google it and saw it on nairaland.com..

Suprisingly, it only got few comments on just one page since 2013...

Pls Admin, push this to front page, it's not just celebrity, or personality that doesn't epp in anyway..
Re: History Of The Nigerian National Pledge by KULESTGee24(m): 9:56pm On Jan 30, 2019
kuntash:
I was just asked by my ward who wrote the Nigeria national pledge, I had to Google it and saw it on nairaland.com..

Suprisingly, it only got few comments on just one page since 2013...

Pls Admin, push this to front page, it's not just celebrity, or personality that doesn't epp in anyway..

#WORD...
Re: History Of The Nigerian National Pledge by dvibes: 4:57pm On Oct 16, 2019
awesomet1:
The Nigerian National Pledge was created by an eminent Nigeria; Prof (Mrs.) Felicia Adebola Adedoyin in 1976. Professor Adedoyin who was born on the 6th of November 1938 is the 2nd of 6 Children and a princes from the Iji ruling house of Shaki in Shaki West LG, Oke Ogun area of Oyo State.

Her children were already acquainted with reciting the Oath of Allegiance in their school in New York, USA and also the State Pledge(Which was introduced on 1 June, 1976) in Achimotu School in Accra Ghana. Instinctively, out of childhood inquisitiveness and assertiveness, they sought to know why they didn't recite any Pledge while they were in Nigeria. Of course their mother told them the home truth; their fatherland had no National Pledge. They eventually provided the necessary challenge that propelled their mother to conceive and originate a National Pledge for Nigeria, which she achieved in June 1976. Her creative work while aged 38, was featured in the Daily Times of July 15, 1976 in an article titled "Loyalty to the Nation, Pledge".

Barrister Adewusi who was a mutual friend of the Adedoyins and Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo, read the Daily Times article and eventually presented it to Obasanjo in August 1976. Gen. Obasanjo, who was then Head of State, accepted the work and modified it.

In September 1976, he decreed that all school children should recite the Pledge in their assemblies daily. Gen. Obasanjo acknowledged this rare feat in his book "Not My Will" (1990 at pg. 118).

[img]http://2.bp..com/_dokCzTHWluc/R6rzH5AK5VI/AAAAAAAAAAo/bfFvHXZ4XMM/s320/Nigeria+Coat+of+Arms.jpg[/img]

The Pledge
"I pledge to Nigeria my country, to be faithful, loyal and honest. To serve Nigeria will all my strength, to defend her unity, uphold her honour and glory, so help me God."

For years, I have learnt that the name of the person that composed the National Pledge was Prof (Mrs.) Felicia Adebola Adedoyin. It was after 23 years I got to know that it was my Big Mother that wrote it.

The name was misspelt. Her name is Prof (Mrs.) Felicia Adebola ADEYOYIN.

Had to even reconfirm from her.
Re: History Of The Nigerian National Pledge by Nobody: 5:02pm On Oct 16, 2019
Wow. Great information. Thanks op.
Re: History Of The Nigerian National Pledge by opportunes: 5:02pm On Oct 16, 2019
God bless her
Re: History Of The Nigerian National Pledge by Nobody: 5:03pm On Oct 16, 2019
dvibes:

For years, I have learnt that the name of the person that composed the National Pledge was Prof (Mrs.) Felicia Adebola Adedoyin. It was after 23 years I got to know that it was my Big Mother that wrote it.

The name was misspelt. Her name is Prof (Mrs.) Felicia Adebola ADEYOYIN.

Had to even reconfirm from her.

Please can you post one of her pictures here let's see who the legend is. Thanks.

Lalasticlala, I believe this deserves home page.
Re: History Of The Nigerian National Pledge by dvibes: 5:05pm On Oct 16, 2019
Only the Elderly family member knew this ...

Every journal / articles / records captured her name as ADEDOYIN ... Whereas its ADEYOYIN My surname

Nigerians have been making mistake of the surname since 1976. Every ADEYOYINS' can testify to this anomaly in their respective lives till date
Re: History Of The Nigerian National Pledge by dvibes: 5:27pm On Oct 16, 2019
Really close to tears right now ...

Just discovered last week. I had to first Confirm from my Dad before calling her

The name I was cramming for G2 COMMON ENTRANCE [/b][b] was my Surname spelt wrongly.

I haven't been attending Family Functions so I dont have her much recent picture.

I dont know if it's appropriate to ask her on Whatsapp, It feels awkward

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi4zJ3xlKHlAhXZDmMBHa0LAUAQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.drraphaeljames.com%2F2016%2F12%2Fi-pledge-to-nigeria-my-country-facts.html&psig=AOvVaw1HQ50GPqPSbcHPpXmGBnJC&ust=1571328463894469

Re: History Of The Nigerian National Pledge by dvibes: 5:32pm On Oct 16, 2019
The Original Version is stated on the link above ...

Before it was later modified ...

(1) (Reply)

NTA Cuts LIVE Program As Yakubu Gowon Refuses To Speak In Hausa (video) / Ganduje's Ex-Aide, Dawisu 'Relocates' From Nigeria (Photos) / APC Members Use Tinubu Buses To Campaign For Atiku In The North (Videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.