Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,588 members, 7,840,409 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola (18836 Views)

Prosecute Jonathan For Corruption –lagos CAN / Bauchi Will Cease To Exist As A State Without Oil-yuguda / A Nigeria Without Oil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by kettykin: 7:27am On Jan 18, 2013
Eko Ile:

Nothing obviously. What's oil got to do with us in Lagos state other than the oil companies paying property and payroll taxes just like any other business in Lagos?

How many properties and employees are we talking about sef?

The tax paid by Shell/Chevron/Mobil alone will be multiple of the taxes paid by all the other Businesses operating in Lagos .

The oil Companies also have down stream subsidiaries and also Oil servicing Companies paying huge Taxes to Lagos Government

3 Likes

Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by GARRIx7(m): 7:31am On Jan 18, 2013
Trust Ndigbo to appear on a thread like this to display petty jealousy and inferiority complex..

undecided

4 Likes

Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Nobody: 7:35am On Jan 18, 2013
But i thought Lagos was said to join the league of oil producing states soon? how true is it?
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by EkoIle1: 7:47am On Jan 18, 2013
kettykin:

The tax paid by Shell/Chevron/Mobil alone will be multiple of the taxes paid by all the other Businesses operating in Lagos .

The oil Companies also have down stream subsidiaries and also Oil servicing Companies paying huge Taxes to Lagos Government

You don't have to keep repeating the same thing, I heard you the first time.

Now, you know mobil or chevron pays more in taxes than the rest of Lagos because you are the state's tax collector or you are in possession of Lagos state's tax collection apparatus and if you are, do you mind showing us your facts?

Let us know how you arrived at this conclusion.

2 Likes

Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Nobody: 7:55am On Jan 18, 2013
kettykin:

For the benefit of doubt lagos did not do without federal allocation what happened was that OBJ with held the local Government Allocation because Tinubu created a lot Local Councils during his Era and the allocation was given back to lagos state after Tinubu reverted back to the exact LGA number,

I think Lagos is doing fine however the growth rate of lagos is not up to that of the Oil producing states of Akwa Ibom , Rivers and Delta , lagos is doing well compared to non oil porducing states like Kogi, benue, kwara . Lagos was already a developed city before 1999 and all the Governor has done it to plant grasses , trees and make bodies like lawam and lastma and build toll gates along lekki rd, with the yearly promises of another deep sea port and an international airport and a 4th mainland bridge beyond that lagos government has not done anything spectacular

Ahn ahn!!! Abdulie!!!!!! Akwa Ibom is not doing as half good as Lagos. Don't get it twisted. Comparing Lagos to Akwa Ibom is like comparing Abuja to Nnewi. No be same catigori oo..

Potentially, Akwa Ibom can be like present Lagos but whoever told you Lagos is going to remain as it is now? Mariwo leri, egungun nbo leyin.

kettykin:

This is very laughable and a good joke , will lagos take 100 % revenue for a port it did not build , lagos can as well take 100% of the airfare from MMIA

If lagos does that all the coastal local governments from bakassi to ondo will be filled with ports .
Lagos has no economy take it or leave it .

The banks/ Media houses are owned by Delta igbos and south south , the oil the oil companies drill by Niger delta, the telecom companies by foreign investors infact a good number of the SMEs are owned by outsiders and non yorubas .
Fashola should just apologise for the gaffe to apologise for gaffes is normal.

Omg!!! LIAR!! WHICH BANKS ARE OWNED BY DELTA IGBOS THAT BANKS OWNED BY YORUBAS ARE NOT BIGGER THAN?

I double dare those banks owned by Delta Igbos to close their branches in Lagos and see if they won't fold up.

You have not been to Lagos. Tell Ben Bruce to go and build his silverbird in Bayelsa and close the Lagos one naa..

You say they pay taxes but don't they make money in Lagos? So they don't make money in Lagos and they'll pay taxes.

No company stationed in Lagos has a plan of leaving in their growth agenda lol.

You are just sipping on hater tonic. How many fucccking companies Niger Deltans get for Lagos wey Yorubas no get bigger ones?? One time you fools want Lagos to be free for all, but y'all quick to call out your sons trained by Lagos to be successful. YES most successful Nigerians need Lagos, Hat some more.

No place in east, North or south will ever be like Lagos. I say that with pride and arrogance. Without Lagos, your successful sons are nothing but civil servants. Lagos brings out the best in you. Other places na dulling una dey.

13 Likes

Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by buhak: 7:57am On Jan 18, 2013
it is truth during obasanjo regine the president did not give lagos state allocation and lagos state still survive
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Demdem(m): 8:08am On Jan 18, 2013
babyosisi: What is he waiting for?
He should set a good example and stop collecting oil money for his state
Walk the walk not just talk the talk

Then he would be going against the law of the land. Its not for him to decide to stop collecting money but the the way our screwed constitution is configured which mandates it. All states must definitely go to Abuja monthly for money because the money in Abuja also came from the states.

I slightly disagree with Fashola. It could be difficult initially for few other states but with time they will adjust and be fine. The potentials are there, those governors are simply not sharp.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Demdem(m): 8:11am On Jan 18, 2013
babyosisi:

Where did this figure come from please

IMHO let every state harness and use the resources in their backyard

Exactly, and this wont come by amending the constitution as its being done by the NASS presently and supported by the Retardeen, it will only come by the re-writing the entire constitution. Thats is the way to go, the need for SNC.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Iykopee(m): 8:19am On Jan 18, 2013
Divide the con3 lets find out how long fashola's submissions will stand d test of time. Simple.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Nobody: 8:38am On Jan 18, 2013
when the oil producing states are asking of resource control. non oil producing states including Lagos were crying foul. fashola shouldn't think that running lagos alone on tax would be an achievement over night. it's really a long process i tell ya!
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Demdem(m): 8:52am On Jan 18, 2013
berem: when the oil producing states are asking of resource control. non oil producing states including Lagos were crying foul. fashola shouldn't think that running lagos alone on tax would be an achievement over night. it's really a long process i tell ya!

Nop, that wasnt it. It wont be proper if oil producing states are allowed to control their resources while other states arent. Control ur oil and let us also control the ports. Control ur gas and of cos let us control our minerals and we all will give whatever have been determined to the FG at the center. Are u even aware that states that have natural minerals cant even mine their resources and export for funds without FG direction? what is good for the goose is also good for the gender. Lets be fair to all.

3 Likes

Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by MadCow1: 9:08am On Jan 18, 2013
Because Oil money already built Lagos!!
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Nobody: 9:08am On Jan 18, 2013
babyosisi:

The guy is being very flippant by that utterance
lagos and other states ought to be thanking the Niger delta daily not pretending as though they could survive without the quarterly Almajiri trips to Abuja
Ingrates

Stop tripping over this shiit.Everybody will bear their papa name soon as the oil dries up.tax is tax and lagos tax doesn't come from oil companies alone.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Delafruita(m): 9:22am On Jan 18, 2013
kettykin:

For the benefit of doubt lagos did not do without federal allocation what happened was that OBJ with held the local Government Allocation because Tinubu created a lot Local Councils during his Era and the allocation was given back to lagos state after Tinubu reverted back to the exact LGA number,

I think Lagos is doing fine however the growth rate of lagos is not up to that of the Oil producing states of Akwa Ibom , Rivers and Delta , lagos is doing well compared to non oil porducing states like Kogi, benue, kwara . Lagos was already a developed city before 1999 and all the Governor has done it to plant grasses , trees and make bodies like lawam and lastma and build toll gates along lekki rd, with the yearly promises of another deep sea port and an international airport and a 4th mainland bridge beyond that lagos government has not done anything spectacular
you type as if yo hve facts.tinubu never reverted to 20 LGAs and the allocations were withheld all through his second tenure.it was yar'adua that came to an agreement with fashola which saw the 32 LGAs renamed LCDAs and then released the withheld allocation.so for avoidance of doubt,lagos allocations were witheld for four years and lagos kept on progressing.infact it was a blessing in disguise because it was during that period tinubu devised various means of increasing IGR benefit of which LASG is reaping from
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by thelastPope(m): 9:29am On Jan 18, 2013
I thought they said this man is intelligent. He just keeps blowing it! Without oil, lagos will be like Ekiti state. 75% of businesses in lagos are directly or indirectly dependent on the oil industry. Where will he get the tax from? Without oil, over 60% of Lagos population will return to states to farm. Where will he get the revenue from? He just doesn't get it. The whole structure and business flow of Nigeria will change without oil. States like Delta, Akwa ibom, Cross rivers, Rivers will be forced to fully utilize their ports. He just doesn't realise that the real beneficiaries of nigeria's oil are Lagos and Abuja. The ND state just started collecting 13% a few years back. Lagos has been benefitting since the 60s. Festac town was built entirely with oil money.

1 Like

Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Truckpusher(m): 9:29am On Jan 18, 2013
kettykin: This hypocrit should have rather announced that the state Government will no longer take revenue from oil than come to deceive his gullible followers. Can lagos do without the tax from oil company headquaters in lagos.
tell the hypocrite....if there is any state that has enjoyed oil money right from the time of oloibiri it's Lagos state they hijacked all the oil companies headquarters to Lagos state, did they do that out of mere hospitality ? or it was simply for the economic gains?....there is nothing as painful as when people take away what belongs to you through the back door only to come out and pretend not to be benefiting from it.
I hope he's aware that all oil company's headquarters was in Lagos until Abacha ordered them to go back to their various states where they are producing from and as soon as he died all the south west tribal bigots big wigs in the oil and gas industry started scheming again to relocate the headquarters to Lagos and the perfect opportunity came during the Niger Delta civil unrest, right now they've all relocated to Lagos state again all in the name of security....God dey watch una for 5D
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Nobody: 9:29am On Jan 18, 2013
and this guy keep complaining that FG aint sending in money...
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by kutchs: 9:33am On Jan 18, 2013
0lumide:

It's not a lie. Lagos has done without oil funds for one full term and still did better than other states collecting oil funds.

But we will continue to collect the "oil" funds as long as it is available. More money aint too much money!
Pls educate me here, I think I have forgotten.
What did Obasanjo actually withhold? Is it allocation meant for Lagos as a state or allocation meant for LGs in Lagos.
I know the two are not the same, pls do help me clear my confusion.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by vanunu: 9:34am On Jan 18, 2013
Mr Fash is living in a fool's paradise, what does Lagos have?
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Nobody: 9:34am On Jan 18, 2013
Silly assertion.

Lagos State is not an 'island' of economic activity. Lagos is a business hub for the whole Nigeria.

If there's no money in other states, Lagos will catch cold.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Truckpusher(m): 9:43am On Jan 18, 2013
thelastPope: I thought they said this man is intelligent. He just keeps blowing it! Without oil, lagos will be like Ekiti state. 75% of businesses in lagos are directly or indirectly dependent on the oil industry. Where will he get the tax from? Without oil, over 60% of Lagos population will return to states to farm. Where will he get the revenue from? He just doesn't get it. The whole structure and business flow of Nigeria will change without oil. States like Delta, Akwa ibom, Cross rivers, Rivers will be forced to fully utilize their ports. He just doesn't realise that the real beneficiaries of nigeria's oil are Lagos and Abuja. The ND state just started collecting 13% a few years back. Lagos has been benefitting since the 60s. Festac town was built entirely with oil money.
The role played by Lagos state in the oil and gas industry politics is still benefiting the SW till this very moment....for every one Niger Deltan employed in the industry the SW gets like ten this is one reason they'll always prefer this union because they are one people that are benefiting immensely from it forget abt the noise making and bravado they do here ....read my lips without oil money from the Niger delta the SW is another republic of Congo and Benin republic in waiting.
..smdh
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Nobody: 9:43am On Jan 18, 2013
thelastPope: I thought they said this man is intelligent. He just keeps blowing it! Without oil, lagos will be like Ekiti state. 75% of businesses in lagos are directly or indirectly dependent on the oil industry. Where will he get the tax from? Without oil, over 60% of Lagos population will return to states to farm. Where will he get the revenue from? He just doesn't get it. The whole structure and business flow of Nigeria will change without oil. States like Delta, Akwa ibom, Cross rivers, Rivers will be forced to fully utilize their ports. He just doesn't realise that the real beneficiaries of nigeria's oil are Lagos and Abuja. The ND state just started collecting 13% a few years back. Lagos has been benefitting since the 60s. Festac town was built entirely with oil money.

Educate yourself before making spurious claims.this issue has been over-flogged on Nl but I'm surprise at your public display of ignorance.this is lagos before the discovery of oil !

https://www.nairaland.com/929914/pictures-lagos-before-crude-oil

1 Like

Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by naja2: 9:43am On Jan 18, 2013
kettykin:

Then why come to deceive the whole world saying only lagos can do without oil wealth when in actual sense they are the last people that would do without it .
If this is not hyprocrisy and double speak and a reflection of cowardice then what is it
Is ur brain leaking. Fashola said the simple truth, Lagos makes more money from taxes than rivers state makes from oil because they have done the harder work of collecting taxes rather than waiting on royal from oil to squander on obscene toys such as private jets for the gov. I had thought the reponse to this topic will be us encouraging other govs to follow this good example.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by naja2: 9:44am On Jan 18, 2013
kettykin:

Then why come to deceive the whole world saying only lagos can do without oil wealth when in actual sense they are the last people that would do without it .
If this is not hyprocrisy and double speak and a reflection of cowardice then what is it
Is ur brain leaking. Fashola said the simple truth, Lagos makes more money from taxes than rivers state makes from oil because they have done the harder work of collecting taxes rather than waiting on royalty from oil to squander on obscene toys such as private jets for the gov. I had thought the reponse to this topic will be us encouraging other govs to follow this good example.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by ichidodo: 9:46am On Jan 18, 2013
true. Which is y lagos is no man's land.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by godsboy4eva: 9:46am On Jan 18, 2013
Fashola's assertion is only half correct. If there is no oil in Nigeria then those oil compenies and other businesses(advertising firms, ligal firms and even banks) that depend on them may fold up and if this happens Lagos goverment will definitely feel it financially as majority of these companies operate in Lagos and pay their taxes(which is usually huge) to Lagos state govt. So, Fashola should not be too boastful!
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Hardfact: 9:47am On Jan 18, 2013
Only Lagos, Yes Lagos! Lagos!! - ONLY FASHOLA'S LAGOS CANNOT SURVIVE WITHOUT OVER-TAXATION AND DRACONIAN ELITIST LAWS AND POLICIES . . . !
Ride on Mr "Action" Governor.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Truckpusher(m): 9:49am On Jan 18, 2013
berem: But i thought Lagos was said to join the league of oil producing states soon? how true is it?
yes you're damn right...after OBJ cornered Bonga field and gave it to Lagos state even when it's situated on the offshores of the Niger Delta.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Delafruita(m): 9:49am On Jan 18, 2013
whats so significaant about festac town?is it any different from the estates jakande built?

2 Likes

Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by kutchs: 9:52am On Jan 18, 2013
You dont need to be a Harvard trained economist to know that Fashola is 100% wrong with this assertion. Even common sense should tell him that Lagos state economy is linked in every way to the economy of other states.
Goods and services produced by big companies upon which the economy to an extent depends are not consumed by residents of Lagos alone, they go as far as Borno, Zamfara, Benue, Cross River etc. Now we know those other states depend largely on oil, so should our oil wells dry up and those states are no longer able to pay workers tell me how such workers will continue to pay for goods made in Lagos. Even a 10 yr old baby knows what that amounts to.
The Chinese economy is going 2gh a slump now as a result of declining patronage from Americans, thats what will happen to Lagos should other states stop patronizing it.

2ndly Fashola should know that certainly development will be affected oil revenue accruing to the state is cut out. Sometimes I wonder why pple who should know pretend otherwise.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by thelastPope(m): 9:52am On Jan 18, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Educate yourself before making spurious claims.this issue has been over-flogged on Nl but I'm surprise at your public display of ignorance.this is lagos before the discovery of oil !

https://www.nairaland.com/929914/pictures-lagos-before-crude-oil

And what exactly is in that pic you posted? You are very funny. What business or industry was in that pic? Businesses don't thrive on grass. They thrive on people. Lagos was capital for like forever? In 1960, ikeja was bush. Only yaba and ikoyi and apapa were developed. Surulere and ikeja started opening up in the 70s. The remaining parts of lagos opened up in the eighties and 90s. So what funny pictue are you posting? Without oil, lagos could not have developed to 1/50 of what it is now. Which Niger delta state can you find a city like festac developed with oil money? If even Bayelsa of Delta had a city like that developed, it would have grown into something else today! You lot are funny!
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by thaoriginator: 9:53am On Jan 18, 2013
He maybe right thou!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

IPOB Speaks On Attacking Catholic Priest In Anambra / ‘Come And Chop’ Ministers - This Day / Senator Okorocha Meets Abdullahi Adamu (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.