Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,641 members, 7,840,555 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola (18839 Views)

Prosecute Jonathan For Corruption –lagos CAN / Bauchi Will Cease To Exist As A State Without Oil-yuguda / A Nigeria Without Oil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jan 18, 2013
To end this thread, take this:

Nigeria has taken more from Lagos than it has given to Lagos.

The sea wasn't moved from Nnewi to Lagos just to develop Lagos.

How much does the FG make from the SEAPORT alone?

Do you know what Lagos is? Do you know how much sophistication Lagos has achieved? Are you mad? If Nigeria had continue with regional govt till date, do you know where Lagos will be? Do you know the city? Do you believe in this city?

Do you even know how to turn $5 to a hundred? Do you know the city that can happen easily?

Are you mad? comparing Lagos to Akwa Ibom? Are you guys some buncha nutjobs? Akwa Ibom lacks anything sophistication. It can't survive in a different clime. Wait till we get the Bonga oil field which is rightfully ours tongue

Akwa Ibom can not enrich her citizens the way Lagos can enrich her citizens. Is that also because of oil allocation?

No state in Africa can enrich her citizens or have enriched her citizens the way Lagos has. And don't mention S.A because they ain't even half. Lagos is not as huge in drugs as S.A is so don't even go there.

When we talk of economic independence of inhabitants, no city in Africa has achieved more than Eko Ile!

Shit brain, I still get stoopid IRS on my ass trying to get taxes from money I made in Lagos and not NYC. I ain't paying shit till I move back home!

Only Lazy brains can't succeed in Lagos! Geeez, supplying fishes to different markets is my business and I get 100% access to Lagos while I utilize only 10% still I make more than NY where I get 0.3% which is wayyyyy more than Lagos' 90% access. My business here would have crumbled if not for the financial support I put in from profits made in Lagos. The only reason I'm still holding on to this 0.3% access is to sell it to some company with a bigger access. I don't like it here in a bit! I'm not close to my people, it's not as fast paced as hyped, and business is politics here. You have to deal with fuuckin mafias and taking poison pill every now and there so your business isn't sold out. and freaking Jews are using wallstreet connection to buy up everything.

And you compare Lagos to where? Omo na wash una dey for that Akwa Ibom oo.. I jus like Eniobong though she the sweetest girl ever!! Quality business partner and a wifey to boost!

Una no know wetin dey Lagos
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by badassnigga(m): 6:54pm On Jan 18, 2013
kettykin:

The Media houses you mentioned when added together do not measure up to Guardian or this day in Sales , Reach Acceptability and profitability.

Are you going to compare Local stations like ONTV,MITV,TVC and Galaxy with International station like AIT, channels, SBTV which presently being watched all over the Country and internationally

Tribune Compass ( which does not sell any more), are but Local papers which serves only Yorubas i mean Naional Papers like Thisday and Guardian Newspapers with Funtional offces and an Editorial Team

even with d like of punch, the nation? do u even know what u r saying at all?
did I hear u say u own everything in Lagos? there is no need arguing with u ...wake up first...u must b dreaming
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jan 18, 2013
Since moving back to Lagos after school and setting up biz, I don't see anywhere I would rather live or anywhere money is easily made!
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by huptin(m): 7:00pm On Jan 18, 2013
kettykin:

This is very laughable and a good joke , will lagos take 100 % revenue for a port it did not build , lagos can as well take 100% of the airfare from MMIA

If lagos does that all the coastal local governments from bakassi to ondo will be filled with ports .
Lagos has no economy take it or leave it .

The banks/ Media houses are owned by Delta igbos and south south , the oil the oil companies drill by Niger delta, the telecom companies by foreign investors infact a good number of the SMEs are owned by outsiders and non yorubas .
Fashola should just apologise for the gaffe to apologise for gaffes is normal.

So banks like GTB, Firstbank, Union Bank, Skye Bank, sterling Bank etc are owned by Delta Igbos? these are the top banks in nigeria kindly carry out a research on their ownership structure. Also the only indigenous telecommunications company is owned by Delta Igbos?Hmmmm people and self deceit, the truth is: lagos will survive without oil, infact it is the heart beat beat of nigeria, oil contributed about 5 trillion naira to the nigerian economy last year, the lagos port alone contributed 2.3 trillion naira, not including the funds from tax. And like i say if lagos is not good, kindly leave, lagos sure look better each time the so called Delta Igbos go home for xmas and new yam festival. Thank you.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by huptin(m): 7:06pm On Jan 18, 2013
thelastPope: I thought they said this man is intelligent. He just keeps blowing it! Without oil, lagos will be like Ekiti state. 75% of businesses in lagos are directly or indirectly dependent on the oil industry. Where will he get the tax from? Without oil, over 60% of Lagos population will return to states to farm. Where will he get the revenue from? He just doesn't get it. The whole structure and business flow of Nigeria will change without oil. States like Delta, Akwa ibom, Cross rivers, Rivers will be forced to fully utilize their ports. He just doesn't realise that the real beneficiaries of nigeria's oil are Lagos and Abuja. The ND state just started collecting 13% a few years back. Lagos has been benefitting since the 60s. Festac town was built entirely with oil money.

so there was oil in nigeria in 1945?, please google lagos in 1945 and compare it with your state now, please note that calabar was the first capital of nigeria and not lagos Thank you.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by wirinet(m): 7:13pm On Jan 18, 2013
Governor fashola sometimes talk as if he is high on something. With an average federal allocation of N15 billion( minus subsidy and excess crude account bonuses), an IGR of about N20 billion monthly, and a rising external debt profile of about $500 million (N80 billion) which requires servicing. He can open his mouth and say he can do without federal allocations. Then he will come back and tell us lagos does not have enough money to embark on infrastructural developments and that is why everything is done using private-public partnership.

Ordinary local government money that was seized by OBJ, and local government staffs were not paid for months and Tinubu borrowed heavily from banks to survive, now imagine if the state and local governments allocations are stopped, how will fashola pay government workers?

Which industries are in lagos? And how much do they contribute to the state's IGR? Most of the biggest industries are outside lagos. If the federal government should invest heavily in calabar ports, warri ports, sapele ports and onitsha ports, lagos ports would die a natural death.

I think the middle belt states have a better chance of surviving without oil as their economy is agric based, as as we all know, agriculture contribute close to 60% of our GDP.

Cheap Oil money still run the nigerian economy including that of lagos. Remove oil money and very little economic activities would take place.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by size38: 7:24pm On Jan 18, 2013
The truth is that without oil, no state in naija will survive not even the much talked about lagos. The entire country is a system of interconnectedness and interdependence of which what affect one affects the other.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by aribisala0(m): 7:25pm On Jan 18, 2013
The British were in Bonny,Opobo,Buguma and Lagos and elsewhere in the coastal regions of what was to become Nigeria 111 years ago they chose to Build a bridge,Carter Bridge which is still there now. They did not build similar bridges elsewhere or designate any of these places Colony of Buguma or of Bonny etc and we are being told this was because of their "whims".
I don't agree.I do not argue that it was because of any special nous or talent of the people of Lagos either.They were lucky to be in the right place but if the British were to trade,as was their aim with the hinterland of Yorubaland,all the way up North in that part of the country they HAD no choice and so they invested heavily in Lagos building Ikoyi where they chose to live building the port at Apapa and a railline which ended at Iddo from Kano to boost their access to the North.

This Lagos ,this Colony of Lagos is not the same thing as Lagos State today which was created in 1967. We must distinguish the two. Lagos State as we know it now comprises Colony of Lagos and some parts of the Western Region e.g Mushin,Oshodi,Agege,Ikorodu etc. After Lagos was created Ikeja was its capital and The old colony Area remained as national Capital.

Lagos STate was not and never was the capital of Nigeria

Therefore when using the word "Lagos" it is important to to mix the two as they are distinct and there were rural communities in the state that did not have electricity when Obasajo came to power in 1999 and perhaps till this day.

This bridge below was built before 1914 when Nigeria was merged. Is it sensible to expect that there will not be significant progress after 100 years.Many places in Nigeria have no such bridge TODAY.How can we expect the two to be the same

1 Like

Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Hardfact: 8:07pm On Jan 18, 2013
thelastPope: I thought they said this man is intelligent. He just keeps blowing it! Without oil, lagos will be like Ekiti state. 75% of businesses in lagos are directly or indirectly dependent on the oil industry. Where will he get the tax from? Without oil, over 60% of Lagos population will return to states to farm. Where will he get the revenue from? He just doesn't get it. The whole structure and business flow of Nigeria will change without oil. States like Delta, Akwa ibom, Cross rivers, Rivers will be forced to fully utilize their ports. He just doesn't realise that the real beneficiaries of nigeria's oil are Lagos and Abuja. The ND state just started collecting 13% a few years back. Lagos has been benefitting since the 60s. Festac town was built entirely with oil money.
Well, as you can see thus far, sometimes, when breeze blow, fowl nyash go . . . .
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Hardfact: 8:12pm On Jan 18, 2013
aribisala0: The British were in Bonny,Opobo,Buguma and Lagos and elsewhere in the coastal regions of what was to become Nigeria 111 years ago they chose to Build a bridge,Carter Bridge which is still there now. They did not build similar bridges elsewhere or designate any of these places Colony of Buguma or of Bonny etc and we are being told this was because of their "whims".
I don't agree.I do not argue that it was because of any special nous or talent of the people of Lagos either.They were lucky to be in the right place but if the British were to trade,as was their aim with the hinterland of Yorubaland,all the way up North in that part of the country they HAD no choice and so they invested heavily in Lagos building Ikoyi where they chose to live building the port at Apapa and a railline which ended at Iddo from Kano to boost their access to the North.

This Lagos ,this Colony of Lagos is not the same thing as Lagos State today which was created in 1967. We must distinguish the two. Lagos State as we know it now comprises Colony of Lagos and some parts of the Western Region e.g Mushin,Oshodi,Agege,Ikorodu etc. After Lagos was created Ikeja was its capital and The old colony Area remained as national Capital.

Lagos STate was not and never was the capital of Nigeria

Therefore when using the word "Lagos" it is important to to mix the two as they are distinct and there were rural communities in the state that did not have electricity when Obasajo came to power in 1999 and perhaps till this day.

This bridge below was built before 1914 when Nigeria was merged. Is it sensible to expect that there will not be significant progress after 100 years.Many places in Nigeria have no such bridge TODAY.How can we expect the two to be the same

. . .Hard fact!
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by EASTSIDAZ: 8:20pm On Jan 18, 2013
Eko Ile:

Stating facts and exuberance are two different things/ As things stands right now, Lagos state can do without federal allocation regardless of all the doom and gloom scenarios you are peddling. Lagos IGR and GDP success story didn't come from any other reason but the fact that they have good and capable leaders
who are lubricating the state's growth, with vision, hard work and dedication.

It doesn't matter how situated you are economically, if the place is not safe, your business and economy will dry up.

It doesn't matter how situated you are economically, if your economic policies and and attitude towards business are not conducive, businesses will go elsewhere and industries will relocate.

It's all about leadership, they had industries in the east and north with their huge textile industries before, but everything dried up or crumbled dried up because of bad and irresponsible leadership. hand over your countries to the boys managing Lagos state and see how fast your country turn a new and better leaf into the future.

Lagos has tons of resources from human to natural, capital and of course industrial resources.

The 5th largest economy in Africa didn't happen by accident.

Stop taking this drugs its not good for your health. Why didn't Ibadam or Oshogbo not be like Lagos if it is the making of Yorubas that made lagos what it is today.
The fact is that lagos was built 100% via the oil wells and being the former capital of Nigeria. Igbos and hausas did much to further elevate lagos status through economic means. Had lagos been left to Yorubas alone it would have ended up like the dungeon called Ibadam.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Hardfact: 8:21pm On Jan 18, 2013
phantom: my brother why are you insistent on jumping in the gutter and playing with touts? why? please pick who you argue with on this forum wisely
Matured talk!
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Hardfact: 8:24pm On Jan 18, 2013
Demdem:

Nop, that wasnt it. It wont be proper if oil producing states are allowed to control their resources while other states arent. Control ur oil and let us also control the ports. Control ur gas and of cos let us control our minerals and we all will give whatever have been determined to the FG at the center. Are u even aware that states that have natural minerals cant even mine their resources and export for funds without FG direction? what is good for the goose is also good for the gender. Lets be fair to all.
. . . .critical factor!
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by geeez: 8:27pm On Jan 18, 2013

I know this will pain all non Yoruba invaders in the state but Fash is on point
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by EkoIle1: 8:27pm On Jan 18, 2013
EASTSIDAZ:

Stop taking this drugs its not good for your health. Why didn't Ibadam or Oshogbo not be like Lagos if it is the making of Yorubas that made lagos what it is today.
The fact is that lagos was built 100% via the oil wells and being the former capital of Nigeria. Igbos and hausas did much to further elevate lagos status through economic means. Had lagos been left to Yorubas alone it would have ended up like the dungeon called Ibadam.

I'll take you seriously if you are able to state specifically how oil wells developed an already developed place way before oil was discovered in Nigeria. it beats me why you people keep uttering the same ignorant comments a primary school student wont make in 2013.

When you come back with your reply, please state specifically how oil wells develop Lagos.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by EkoIle1: 8:31pm On Jan 18, 2013
Hardfact:
Error! Error! Error! Error! . . . Error! Error! Error! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Error! Error! Error! . . . . . . . . . . . .

Talk about meaningless and pointless meager vocabulary.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by aribisala0(m): 8:33pm On Jan 18, 2013
huptin:

so there was oil in nigeria in 1945?, please google lagos in 1945 and compare it with your state now, please note that calabar was the first capital of nigeria and not lagos Thank you.
This is a very commonly repeated falsehood Calabar was NEVER the Capital of NIgeria . After amalgamation in 1914 Calabar was NEVER the capital for a SINGLE day
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Hardfact: 8:38pm On Jan 18, 2013
geeez:
I know this will pain all non Yoruba invaders in the state but Fash is on point
This's simply a thread about Lagos, not a (Non)Yoruba or Tribal one for that matter.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by EkoIle1: 8:40pm On Jan 18, 2013
AjanleKoko:

More shouting from you, without any improvement in your argument.
Enjoy yourself. I certainly won't give you the time of day further. undecided

Asking to prove to you with facts that Lagos is the 5th largest economy in Africa and that Lagos state boasts more industries in Nigeria than any other state again shows how ignorant you still are especially when google is available free and cheap 24/7 to educate you instead of arguing.

Lagos, Africa's 5th Biggest Economy

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/05/06/lagos-africa%E2%80%99s-5th-biggest-economy/

I repeat, you are very ignorant.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by aribisala0(m): 8:45pm On Jan 18, 2013
http://libsysdigi.library.illinois.edu/ilharvest/Africana/Books2011-05/3064634/3064634_1905_lagos/3064634_1905_lagos_opt.pdf

This report on financial statement will give you an idea of where Lagos Colony was in 1905
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by EkoIle1: 8:46pm On Jan 18, 2013
phantom: my brother why are you insistent on jumping in the gutter and playing with touts? why?please pick who you argue with on this forum wisely!

I guess you're still hurting..

We had this debate and you lost.

This is the dirty rubbish you call your state and even with just 4 million people and huge budget like Lagos state's budget, it's still a village and money down the drain.

https://www.nairaland.com/374942/amaechis-port-harcourt/8

The joke is on you...ndo.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by EkoIle1: 8:51pm On Jan 18, 2013
I still don't see any of you telling us what exactly the FG did to develop Lagos/An already developed state
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Hardfact: 8:53pm On Jan 18, 2013
aribisala0:
This is a very commonly repeated falsehood Calabar was NEVER the Capital of NIgeria . After amalgamation in 1914 Calabar was NEVER the capital for a SINGLE day
So, could you fill us in with what exactly's the correct info on this capital thing?
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by aribisala0(m): 8:57pm On Jan 18, 2013
Hardfact: So, could you fill us in with what exactly's the correct info on this capital thing?
There really is nothing to fill in its not true. Simple. If I ask you to fill us in on a claim that Accra was once the capital of Cameroun what do you say

Nigeria was created in 1914 with Lagos as Capital. Simple
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Hardfact: 8:58pm On Jan 18, 2013
Eko Ile:

I guess you're still hurting..

We had this debate and you lost.

This is the dirty rubbish you call your state and even with just 4 million people and huge budget like Lagos state's budget, it's still a village and money down the drain.

https://www.nairaland.com/374942/amaechis-port-harcourt/8

The joke is on you...ndo.

F.Y.M. !
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by DaLover(m): 9:00pm On Jan 18, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm not doubting that the location of Lagos did not play a part. But my point is that it's not worth mentioning because what Lagos experienced is not what i will call a natural growth. There was a concerted effort put in place whether by the British or federal government. Lagos had access to the sea which is a good thing, but did the access to the sea do the magic? Hell to the NO.

For examples of cities that had access to he sea but no oil money, check Cotonou lol
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by confusion247(m): 9:03pm On Jan 18, 2013
There is light at the end of the tunnel. Now people are coming closer to reality just incase we fulfill the expected disintegration.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by EkoIle1: 9:03pm On Jan 18, 2013
Hardfact:
F.Y.M. ![/b]

Speak English if you know how to. Letting me know you have meager vocabulary skill is nothing, I know that already.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Hardfact: 9:04pm On Jan 18, 2013
aribisala0:
There really is nothing to fill in its not true. Simple. If I ask you to fill us in on a claim that Accra was once the capital of Cameroun what do you say

Nigeria was created in 1914 with Lagos as Capital. Simple
Ok.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by DaLover(m): 9:05pm On Jan 18, 2013
Afam4eva:
By Lagos, i'm referring to the Colony, the former capital of Nigeria and Lagos the state and if More and Ibafo becomes Lagos tomorrow, i'm also referring to them.

The colony of Lagos ended when it was merged with the Southern colony and was further merged with other colonies to become what is today known as NIgeria. Lagos was the capital of Nigeria until when the capital was officially moved to Abuja. Mind you, the proposal was made in 1975 but the capital wasn't moved until the late 80s.

In fact, the major moves started after the Orkar coup, when babangida no longer felt safe in lagos, I think this was in 1991 or so.....now the natural environment of Abuja is making that city grow like crazy? The way some people argue blindly is baffling at times
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by DaLover(m): 9:07pm On Jan 18, 2013
AjanleKoko:

This is by no means a countering of my argument. Just some political jingoism.
Why don't you list the industries in Lagos that are not service-oriented. Industries that compare with Lafarge in Ogun State, Sugar in Kogi, Iron Ore processing in Kogi, aluminium smeltering in Akwa Ibom, etc, agriculture in Kogi, Nassarawa, Benue, etc?

I trust you're not referring to banks, telcos, administrative headquarters of oil companies, etc. What significant manufacturing is done in Lagos today? Pray tell.

What about juice industry , it's big in lagos lol
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Fabville: 9:12pm On Jan 18, 2013
Governor Fashola is stating the obvious. I know why this. It is simply because many of the contributors on this thread doesn't understand simple English "SURVIVE" and what type of taxes are paid to state governments and federal governments.
1. When Fashola said survive without oil, he simply means the state will continue continue to exist and not die economically because of the huge amount the state generates from taxes. Unlike other states who basically live on oil money (monthly allocation) alone with the money they generate from taxes is so poor.
2. How many states can boast of 300,000 tax payers compared to 3,000,000 Lagos state tax payers? Non.
3. Some people are even confused about which government collects Personal Income Tax (PAYE) and Corporate Tax (Profit tax). It is PAYE that the state collects while Federal government collects Corporate tax which is collected on profit made by corporate organization and also VAT. Why then are some people saying that Lagos state cannot survive without oil money?
Lets put every argument in proper perspective. If oil dries in Nigeria today, does it now mean that there will be no oil companies working in Nigeria? No. Since state government doesn't collect corporate tax, they only collect PAYE. Would you compare the staff strength of Banks, Insurance companies, Manufacturing companies, Communication companies, Entertainment/Media houses with that of "Oil Companies"? Staff strength of banks that have many branches is far more than that of the so called "Oil Companies" you are talking about. GTBank alone has about Seventy+ branches in Lagos alone. Which oil company has up to ten branches in Lagos? I don't think i know of any.
United State of America is not an oil producing country but they own Mobil Exxon, Chevron and some other oil companies. This simply means that even if oil dries up in Niger-Delta, it is not going to affect Lagos State income significantly because it doesn't mean we'll have nothing to do with all those oil companies.
The monthly allocation collected from federal government in not based on oil money alone. What about the money collected from other sources (VAT and some other taxes) by the federal government? That is why they call it "Revenue Allocation" meaning all the revenue generated by the federal government and not restricting it to only revenue from oil. It is a fact that Nigeria earned =N=5.5trillion from non oil sector between January and August 2012. Check here http://www.compassnewspaper.org/index.php/special-desk/business-news/8257-non-oil-revenue-nigeria-earns-n55-trillion-in-eight-months.
Governor Fashola is stating the facts. You can only disprove what you are saying with facts and figures, not just being sentimental about the whole issue.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

Why Are Computers Budgeted For Every Year? – Sen. Abaribe / Omokri: Osinbajo Outshines Buhari, Will Nigerians Want To Go Back To PMB? / Edo Assembly Crisis: I’ll Not Issue Fresh Proclamation - Obaseki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.