Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,710 members, 7,813,346 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:05 AM

What Software Have You Created [remix] - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Software Have You Created [remix] (5539 Views)

Poll: What is the major obstacle for Nigerian programmers?

Bad power supply: 22% (7 votes)
Lack of team work: 38% (12 votes)
'Cos they are black: 0% (0 votes)
Not many have access to internet: 16% (5 votes)
Laziness: 16% (5 votes)
They are not appreciated: 6% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

What Software/applications Sells In Nigeria Nowadays / What Software Have You Created? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Software Have You Created [remix] by SayoMarvel(m): 1:55pm On Mar 01, 2008
I think we should continue pasting the names of our works here.
What software have you created. All of you so called, software engineer, developer, coder, programmer or anything you can call yourself, what have you achieved with it? let us know, and let us know who is who in this field so that we know the names to look out for in this quality posts and who to contact is we have programming problems that are personal.
I'm still young in programming so don't expect something too big. Please don't put anything like QBasic, COBOL, ForTran e.t.c we need to know your works on new/sophisticated languages so that if we are working on something similar, we'll know where to look to for help. Just keep posting them 'because they challenge other programmers to improve on their skills.

I start by;

JAVA
(1) FotoKingdom 1.0 (a program similar to microsoft picture & fax viewer but with added functionality of converting image formats.
(2) Sayo's WritingPad 1.1 (a program similar to notepad that allows saving with serialization, manipulating fonts, including changing font colours, rendering the job to a local or network printer using PrinterJob e.t.c)
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by Kfada(m): 9:54am On Mar 04, 2008
is it because you just learned programming that you won't let all of us rest angry
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by prodgalson: 7:06pm On Mar 04, 2008
Here's a challenge, how about we have competition?
We decide on what to build, and how long to take to build it.
and we all review eachother's finished product.

Can be something very simple like a contact manager.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by Olumide7(m): 12:29pm On Mar 05, 2008
That's a good idea prodgalson. I like challenges like these.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by SayoMarvel(m): 5:53pm On Mar 05, 2008
that's good, but the problem is that we specialize on diffrent platforms. u can't expect a mobile device programmer to contest on enterprice applications. Al the same, what do we build? and lets get the job done. I'm in school now and i don't have time. you people can contest and we'll all see. when i have a break, i will do mine.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by SayoMarvel(m): 7:12pm On Mar 11, 2008
I'm still waiting to hear from the man who brought the idea of a contest to post what we want to develop. Or are you scared? shocked
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by prodgalson: 6:18pm On Mar 12, 2008
"We decide on what to build, and how long to take to build it."
Key word being 'we'. I suggested a contact manager. No one else has made a suggestion.
Why don't you? Oh thats right, you don't see the reason in competing across platforms, and mentioned you won't even participate.

Funny chap smiley
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by alex406(m): 7:02am On Mar 13, 2008
Yes it is a very good idea at least we that are just new in the game can learn alot from this.So let us know when and what you guys really wanna work on.
Respect.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by javalove(m): 4:07pm On Mar 13, 2008
Hmmm, o ga oooo. Been here for a while but i only read posts. Nice idea sha but when u guys decide, i wud luv to participate ad show u some of my java skills, To make it a classy competition, why dont we make a web desktop and mobile app, wat do u guys think,

Its java all the way,

All of you so called, software engineer, developer, coder, programmer or anything you can call yourself, what have you achieved with it? let us know, and let us know who is who in this field so that we know the names to look out for in this quality posts and who to contact is we have programming problems that are personal

Stop acting childish, This is wat is killing nigerians programmers not nepa or internet as som pple have voted. Wats d meaning of dis statement. Why dont we all develop a collaborative attitude and not wantong to show off, let ur skills speak for u and talking about achievement, hmmm, we r all different ppla and our achievements r in different magnitude,
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by candylips(m): 4:16pm On Mar 13, 2008
Guys. . . there is lack of opportunities in that enviroment.
I believe there are very decent Developers out there in Nigeria but they do not have any opportunity to explore their creative side.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by prodgalson: 4:38pm On Mar 13, 2008
@javalove
VERY well said. Like so many nigerians in so many fields, SayoMarvel is interested in getting recognition and respect. It may fuel individual growth, but not facilitate our overall evolution. If you have a cooperative/collaborative mindset, we all benefit, and you get the recognition and respect in a much more lasting way. Anyhow sha.

So, idea for a simple app:

Simple Contact Manager

Features
1) Basic CRUD (Create / Read / Update / Delete)
2) Contact info:
- FirstName
- LastName
- Address
- Home Phone
- Office Phone
- Email address
3) Contact search (implement however you want : either search by firstname , lastname, all fields, keyword search, etc)
4) Sortable List view of contacts (imagine a table that lists a contact on each row, that you can sort by column)
5) Detailed view of individual contact (clicking on one of the contacts in the list should open a detailed view)

And that's it. A VERY VERY simple app that we can build over time.
We can make this a monthly thing and add new features as we go.
Maybe v2.0 we take our individual apps and add contact import, IM integration, etc etc,

Questions:
1 - What platform are you building for (mac/win/mobile (which mobile os?))
2 - What language are you using?

(my answerssmiley
1) mac and windows, deployed on AIR.
2) Using Actionscript, C++, and Flex
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by javalove(m): 4:48pm On Mar 13, 2008
thanks man, Seems to be a nice specification, Lets just make it a simple desktop app then. I would be using java sha, I cud use flex too but i think i prefer java,
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by prodgalson: 6:19pm On Mar 13, 2008
Not limiting anyone to any platform.
If you're a mobile developer, then develop for your mobile OS, be it symbian, windows, etc.
True it would be ideal if we all stuck to a platform, but everyone has their respective strengths.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by javalove(m): 6:32pm On Mar 13, 2008
and also proper documentation on how we went about each module of the software should also be described, lets learn that practice too, Also any resource used on the internet should be refrenced or anybody;s code we use in the forum shuold be well stated in our docs. This is a good practice that lots of nigerian programmers lack,

Jaji
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by rookie(m): 12:48am On Mar 14, 2008
I think it would be more worthwhile if several project options are provided for competitors to choose from. There are a few advantages with this approach over competing on a single project idea.

1) The competition will produce several creative project that can be made available as opensource\freeware via a website (like sourceforge) (perhaps Nigeria's first opensource website), or better still it springs up a programming competition portal
2) It will encourage more developers to compete, focusing more on their areas of expertise or preference
3) Fairness -- you will have options to choose what project suits your background best

Another option will be to select from projects that will provide innovative solutions to some challenging problem rather than a "show-off" on re-invention the wheel. Example could be designing, optimizing or implementing of algorithms that can offer solution to reallife problems - like Dijkstra's, Euler's, Network flows, huffman coding tree etc. optimizing and implementing this kind of algorithm can present better solution that will replace how network, traffic problems (etc) are being solved.

---Just a thought
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by ThePhantom(m): 9:05am On Mar 14, 2008
Questions:
1 - What platform are you building for (mac/win/mobile (which mobile os?))
2 - What language are you using? 

Answer:
1-Windows
2-VBA(Desktop version) and ASP (Web version)

Desktop version is done. Will be done with the web version over the weekend.

Nice remix of my original post. This was fun.

@rookie - you will be lucky to get anyone to colaborate on a project like that. But nonetheless I like your frame of mind.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by prodgalson: 5:39pm On Mar 14, 2008
@rookie:
Music to my ears. Why dont you post here more often?
I'm glad that you see the big picture, because that's the direction i hope this initiative goes: more collaborative than competitive.
However, it's not always prudent to go from A to B in a straight line. I know myself, and I know my people, and everyone loves good, fair competition, In this case, 'good' because it's easy, and 'fair' because we're all delivering the same thing. Moving forward, future efforts can evolve in whatever direction we all want.

Stay tuned, and please continue to chime in.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by javalove(m): 5:53pm On Mar 14, 2008
rookie:

I think it would be more worthwhile if several project options are provided for competitors to choose from. Their are a few advantages with this approach over competing on a single project idea.

1) The competition will produce several creative project that can be made available as opensource\freeware via a website (like sourceforge) (perhaps Nigeria's first opensource website), or better still it springs up a programming competition portal
2) It will encourage more developers to compete, focusing more on their areas of expertise or preference
3) Fairness -- you will have options to choose what project suits your background best

Another option will be to select from projects that will provide innovative solutions to some challenging problem rather than a "show-off" on re-invention the wheel. Example could be designing, optimizing or implementing of algorithms that can offer solution to reallife problems - like Dijkstra's, Euler's, Network flows, huffman coding tree etc. optimizing and implementing this kind of algorithm can present better solution that will replace how network, traffic problems (etc) are being solved.

---Just a thought

Nice thought, Even google code camp as pretigious as it is has got one project for developers to tackle. Ile i agree with you with most of ur suggestions, I feel we need to create a project idea that can bridge the gap between thextreme guru and the newbies and a project like this one is just right. I (and i guess a few pple in here)do not c it as a show off thing but rather hope to learn a few things from fellow 9ja programmers. Thigs like cool gui designs, efficient and less memory consuming functionalities and over all delivery is what we should be looking to gain from this one.

Not that we cant do what u have said, we can and infact we will. We can only achive that if we spend enuf time to brainstorm on what actually we hope to achieve with all of those algorithms u have mentioned,

Now, lets just start with this one having in mind that its not for show off but to learn from ourselves, So i suggest:

We all submit our source code, documentations and references to any resource, .

I admire ur thought still,
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by mambenanje(m): 7:24pm On Mar 14, 2008
Well the competition is good but I think guys will cheat so there must be limits in the languages used cheesy
Ok what I mean by cheat is this:
With ruby on rails I can build the CRUD app in 5 mins, does that mean I was part of the competition ?? or with something like Cakephp or codeigniter all php ports for ruby on rails I will complete the same app in 5mins, and it will run on windows linux, Mac and on any mobile with a good browser.
So we might want to exclude some languages like ruby and python just like Google Code Jam is giving less time if you are using python to solve a problem.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by javalove(m): 7:43pm On Mar 14, 2008
I agree wit yah, Thats why we all need to post our coded and all, or i cud sacrifice a webspace for pple to rgister and submit there stuffs, just an opinion, wat do ya tink
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by prodgalson: 7:46pm On Mar 14, 2008
1) Use whatever language you want, spend 5 minutes or 5 weeks.
2) Write all the code from scratch.
3) When done, you can check the code into googe code : http://code.google.com/hosting/
if u want i can create a project directory for all of us, and grant you access. send your email addresses to me : ekz [ at ] adobe.com
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by javalove(m): 6:45pm On Mar 15, 2008
prodgalson:

1) Use whatever language you want, spend 5 minutes or 5 weeks.
2) Write all the code from scratch.
3) When done, you can check the code into googe code : http://code.google.com/hosting/
if u want i can create a project directory for all of us, and grant you access. send your email addresses to me : ekz [ at ] adobe.com

i agree wit yaaa,
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by javalove(m): 7:01pm On Mar 15, 2008
Since i belive we are all very good, i think our focal point now shud be,

1. Nice GUI design:. The GUI should be appealing and should have the business feel. Lethave t in mind that while we are learning to program, we should also learn the art of very good, well pimped professional looking apps. It would help us

2. Easy Navigations: The app should be easily navigable and not cumbersome to use. We should try to be as simple as possible.

3. Memory Consumption: This is an area I am looking to learn from u guys. I program in jave and i always try my best in conserng resources and making sure i reuse my variables where nessecary. Remember using the new operator all the time consumes a bit of memory. I would be glad to meet someone who does this aspect of java programming better to enhance my own skills in memory management

4. Lastly, lets not forget to give credits where nessecary, its something i have learnt from my friends oline. It helps,

This are just my own personal opinions ooooooo,
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by SayoMarvel(m): 8:41pm On Mar 16, 2008
Nice contributions guyz. I've been hoping for something like this but anytime i start a thread like this, i ends up dead. That's why i made a new approach. though it may look like a show-off, but i know many of you are better than me. So i didn't really mean to show off(I'm very humble).
You talked about an application, I will work on it next weekend. I will be doing a desktop application which after completion i will transform into an applet for web browsers.
Language: JAVA

You talked about GUI? I will prefer to make use of swing libraries with "substance" PLAF.

keep the good work,
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by Scopium: 8:57am On Mar 17, 2008
[size=13pt]I don't know jack about programing but I've always admired those who can do it. I've also had this fantasy of developing a program with which I can MOVE money undetected from the accounts of every motherfucker that has looted Nigeria's treasures. That will be fun.[/size]
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by javalove(m): 3:28pm On Mar 17, 2008
SayoMarvel:

though it may look like a show-off, but i know many of you are better than me. So i didn't really mean to show off(I'm very humble).

cheesycheesycheesycheesy nice, more of this mindset

SayoMarvel:

I will be doing a desktop application which after completion i will transform into an applet for web browsers.
Language: JAVA

You talked about GUI? I will prefer to make use of swing libraries with "substance" PLAF.

keep the good work,

GUI is graphical user interface, i m sure u know dat, cheesycheesycheesy Swing AWT JavaFX, u can use anyone and talking about look and feel, u can use anyone too but check there licenses ooooooooo, u shudnt have a problem with any sha,

I wud be using Java too, SWING for my front ends and MSACCESS for my back end. I would also be making use of custom components from l2fprod and other swing hacks to have a more professional look. There wud be options to switch UI and wud also be making use of different look and feels, substance, tonic, microsoft office look and feels (office 2003) and some more, anyother thing i use, i would make mention in my documentations, i m loving this
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by geebengs(m): 7:23pm On Mar 17, 2008
Nice Thread, I'm definitely a part of this. I'll be using:

ADOBE FLASH CS3 / ACTION SCRIPT 2.0.

Then may be later i'll use C++. On windows platform.

Expect to hear from me soon. Keep the work going guys.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by geebengs(m): 7:25pm On Mar 17, 2008
Nice Thread, I'm definitely a part of this. I'll be using:

ADOBE FLASH ACTION SCRIPT 2.0.

Then may be later i'll use C++. On windows platform.

Expect to hear from me soon. Keep the work going guys.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by rookie(m): 7:46pm On Mar 17, 2008
-- Thanks for all feedback

I really love the energy I see on this thread.

I think regardless of how this competion is carried out the outcome will be good. We can eventually assist the winners (1st, 2nd, 3rd) in participating in some other establshed competitions -- e.g http://www.topcoder.com/tc

I personally, would not be able to compete due to my heavy work\career schedule, however, I would try to contribute with any little way i can.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by prodgalson: 3:07am On Mar 18, 2008
@geebengs
You don't need to use C++ , you know, use AIR to deploy your app to the desktop.
That's what I'm doing. Have you used AIR before?
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by geebengs(m): 11:24am On Mar 18, 2008
You don't need to use C++ , you know, use AIR to deploy your app to the desktop.
That's what I'm doing. Have you used AIR before?

No, I've not so much heard about it before. whats it about? My major is in Computer graphics. I've used C++ to write games before but presently i'm using AS 2.0. So i don't know much about it.
Re: What Software Have You Created [remix] by javalove(m): 2:51pm On Mar 18, 2008
nice, so can someone giv us a recap of the project at hand, is it still the contact manager, ?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Developing A Professional Bluetooth Instant Chat Messenger With Java / Retrieving/selecting A Particular Number Of Random Rows From A Database Table / My Journey Into React Native

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.