Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,225 members, 7,815,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

My Journey Into React Native - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Journey Into React Native (5556 Views)

My Journey Into Shopify Development ( Theme ) / My Journey Into Low/no-code Platforms / My Journey Into Svelte Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 2:58pm On Dec 28, 2021
I have never written React Native in my life, I always hated it in the past because of how it was built, until I took up a job which required me to learn React Native and so far it has been an interesting journey.

What is React Native in my words ?

React Native is simply a platform that allows you build apps with JavaScript that run to Native.

How is this Possible ?

JavaScript code is transformed to a payload which is ran on a JavaScript Engine called Hermes, Hermes is similar to something like V8 a JavaScript Engine built in C++ that can understand JavaScript and also expose Native to JavaScript. I am not entirely sure how everything works seeing it is complex. but it allows for Android API to be exposed to JS easily and from JS to Native.

My Verdict
So far, I have been using the RNUILIB which is a library written by Wix for React native, I customize UI with it, and it is very straight-forward depending on your knowledge of things. However in my honest opinion learning Native will make you a better React Native Developer as you have the ability to expose more API to JavaScript, here are some designs I did in Figma and the implementation in the Android Emulator.

Conclusion

React Native is awesome for Quick Jobs and if you know Native you will have better control but when it comes to performance and file size of app, Native still triumphs.

FIN

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey Into React Native by Nobody: 3:09pm On Dec 28, 2021
Nice! but why not Flutter?

And this isn't to start a fanboy war, I'm looking to understand your approach. I remember you starting flutter once and absolutely trashing out RN in the past. I'm curious about what changed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 4:56pm On Dec 28, 2021
DrLevi:
Nice! but why not Flutter?

And this isn't to start a fanboy war, I'm looking to understand your approach. I remember you starting flutter once and absolutely trashing out RN in the past. I'm curious about what changed

The company I work for, forced React Native on me. You get , so no choice

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Into React Native by Nobody: 5:39pm On Dec 28, 2021
qtguru:

The company I work for, forced React Native on me. You get , so no choice
Lol, I legit expected a more technical response but that works too grin

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 6:57pm On Dec 28, 2021
DrLevi:

Lol, I legit expected a more technical response but that works too grin

Personally I would chose Flutter over RN because of this reason:

Flutter renders directly to the Pixel, meaning you can render any OS Controls, it's the same way Android and Linux renders UI, where as React native still talks to the each OS Controls. Flutter uses Skia engine, it's like X11 for Linux, the thing that renders the screen , button and window. so Skia directly is deployed on each OS and draws the UI. Flutter is going to have better and way advanced animation than RN.

This is based on my understanding though of it. I might be wrong

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into React Native by Nobody: 7:13pm On Dec 28, 2021
qtguru:

Flutter renders directly to the Pixel, meaning you can render any OS Controls, it's the same way Android and Linux renders UI, where as React native still talks to the each OS Controls. Flutter uses Skia engine, it's like X11 for Linux, the thing that renders the screen , button and window. so Skia directly is deployed on each OS and draws the UI. Flutter is going to have better and way advanced animation than RN.

As a flutter developer, I can confirm that you're correct and it does render amazing animations although there was an issue with iOS. The UI flexibility is why there is a flutter now supports all major operatiing systems. Even Toyota is porting it for their automobiles.

Althought last week, I was watching a video on a port of Skia for React Native. I think that would change the dynamics of superiority between the two because that was flutter's upper hand over react native.
Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 8:42pm On Dec 28, 2021
DrLevi:

As a flutter developer, I can confirm that you're correct and it does render amazing animations although there was an issue with iOS. The UI flexibility is why there is a flutter now supports all major operatiing systems. Even Toyota is porting it for their automobiles.

Althought last week, I was watching a video on a port of[b] Skia for React Native[/b]. I think that would change the dynamics of superiority between the two because that was flutter's upper hand over react native.

Thanks I had no idea bout this
Re: My Journey Into React Native by ShadowWalker00(m): 10:39pm On Dec 28, 2021
DrLevi:

Althought last week, I was watching a video on a port of Skia for React Native. I think that would change the dynamics of superiority between the two because that was flutter's upper hand over react native.
qtguru:

What of Xamarin.
Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 12:43am On Dec 29, 2021
ShadowWalker00:

What of Xamarin.

Not worth the stress biko, I'd rather write Java if I'm doing C# for mobile apps
Re: My Journey Into React Native by Nobody: 12:54am On Dec 29, 2021
ShadowWalker00:

What of Xamarin.
Definitely not amongst the current trend in mobile development. I see no technical advantage over flutter or react native
Re: My Journey Into React Native by funnyDM: 8:43pm On Dec 29, 2021
qtguru:

Not worth the stress biko, I'd rather write Java if I'm doing C# for mobile apps

What of Qt Mobile?
Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 8:48pm On Dec 29, 2021
funnyDM:

What of Qt Mobile?

Lol you are trolling me right ? Pls QML is dead, just write Flutter or worse KMM grin
Re: My Journey Into React Native by shantti(m): 5:29pm On Dec 31, 2021
Do u have to thoroughly understand all the concepts JavaScript before u can use react native.

Someone told me it is better to learn how to use a language to solve a problem than learning the entirety of the language, old how true is this.

Assuming I am knowledgeable in Java and c# and the company am working for forces me to use something like kivy, do I need to go and learn python first before I can use kivy or I should just learn kivy
Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 8:09pm On Dec 31, 2021
shantti:
Do u have to thoroughly understand all the concepts JavaScript before u can use react native.

Someone told me it is better to learn how to use a language to solve a problem than learning the entirety of the language, old how true is this.

Assuming I am knowledgeable in Java and c# and the company am working for forces me to use something like kivy, do I need to go and learn python first before I can use kivy or I should just learn kivy

No you don't, I used to be that 100% guy before coding , start with the basic and also keep up with some advanced concepts, you will soak the remaining on the way. So far I've haven't encountered a scenario in RN where I had to use an Advanced JS feature.

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into React Native by shantti(m): 8:44pm On Dec 31, 2021
qtguru:

No you don't, I used to be that 100% guy before coding , start with the basic and also keep up with some advanced concepts, you will soak the remaining on the way. So far I've haven't encountered a scenario in RN where I had to use an Advanced JS feature.

Thanks bro
Re: My Journey Into React Native by Springboot: 9:49pm On Dec 31, 2021
qtguru:

Xamarin /C# has a better future than Java.

Note: I am a master Java programmer but I see xamarin /c# taking over mobile dev in the nearest future, I'll request you reconsider your stand on this.

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into React Native by Springboot: 9:51pm On Dec 31, 2021
ShadowWalker00:

What of Xamarin.

You can't go wrong with xamarin
Re: My Journey Into React Native by ShadowWalker00(m): 10:26pm On Dec 31, 2021
Springboot:

You can't go wrong with xamarin
But it doesn't even get half the hype of them Flutter, and ReactNative.
Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 12:06am On Jan 01, 2022
Springboot:

Note: I am a master Java programmer but I see xamarin /c# taking over mobile dev in the nearest future, I'll request you reconsider your stand on this.

I don't see that, I see each Native counterpart still maintaining a role, Kotlin for Android and Swift for IOS, Flutter/RN will still cater for basic logic apps. Sorry but Xamarin days are numbered even C# is not widely adopted despite having so many features compared to Java, Java has a massive set of libraries and tools. I can't see that happening truthfully
Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 12:15am On Jan 01, 2022
Springboot:

Also Xamarin is abstracted to call Java, that's another layer on top and additional library, why bother when I can just write Native. Me personally I am not a fan of Hybrid , there is no true cross platform development, because you end up catering for multiple OS during specific needs, Flutter is the closest to a true cross dev since it's rendering its own controls rather than calling the Native Controls. I've tried Xamarin, and it's not worth the stress for me, However C# is not bad for services, but I'd rather use SpringBoot and leverage libraries.
Re: My Journey Into React Native by Springboot: 12:48am On Jan 01, 2022
qtguru:

Also Xamarin is abstracted to call Java, that's another layer on top and additional library, why bother when I can just write Native. Me personally I am not a fan of Hybrid , there is no true cross platform development, because you end up catering for multiple OS during specific needs, Flutter is the closest to a true cross dev since it's rendering its own controls rather than calling the Native Controls. I've tried Xamarin, and it's not worth the stress for me, However C# is not bad for services, but I'd rather use SpringBoot and leverage libraries.

Excellent points, I had no idea nairalnders have switched-on guys here. Well done.
Re: My Journey Into React Native by ShadowWalker00(m): 12:59am On Jan 01, 2022
qtguru:

I don't see that, I see each Native counterpart still maintaining a role, Kotlin for Android and Swift for IOS, Flutter/RN will still cater for basic logic apps. Sorry but Xamarin days are numbered even C# is not widely adopted despite having so many features compared to Java, Java has a massive set of libraries and tools. I can't see that happening truthfully
I guess you are a Java fan boy.

C# is by far a better language than java, c# 10 minimal api's is a real deal.

For enterprise development it has been proven that asp floors spring, and springboot.

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into React Native by BlaqFaze: 2:20am On Jan 01, 2022
Springboot:

grin grin Even Microsoft themselves don't see a future with Xamarin
Re: My Journey Into React Native by BlaqFaze: 8:05am On Jan 01, 2022
qtguru:

I'm surprised at that comment because devs even prefer using Ionic (not native) than Xamarin
Re: My Journey Into React Native by bularuz(m): 8:25am On Jan 01, 2022
Has anyone tried Quasar?
Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 9:18am On Jan 01, 2022
bularuz:
Has anyone tried Quasar?

Quasar/ionic/onset Ui/Phone gap are all trash those are WebView and very slow. Please throw them away stick to React Native worse case.

I've built projects on Cordova and WebView it is not worth it. If you want performance built Native. Maybe I am biased. I built Fidelity Mobile Banking App and Quicktellef Paypoint in Cordova and it was hell. Any serious dev wants performance. Flutter or React Native is the best personally if someone doesn't want to write Native.

5 Likes

Re: My Journey Into React Native by bularuz(m): 10:12am On Jan 01, 2022
qtguru:

Quasar/ionic/onset Ui/Phone gap are all trash those are WebView and very slow. Please throw them away stick to React Native worse case.

I've built projects on Cordova and WebView it is not worth it. If you want performance built Native. Maybe I am biased. I built Fidelity Mobile Banking App and Quicktellef Paypoint in Cordova and it was hell. Any serious dev wants performance. Flutter or React Native is the best personally if someone doesn't want to write Native.

Quasar is different, it is based on Vue js, which has its own build engine similar to react native.
Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 10:17am On Jan 01, 2022
bularuz:

Quasar is different, it is based on Vue js, which has its own build engine similar to react native.

it's Cordova still WebView, not saying you shouldn't use it but don't expect performance like Native. Writing WebView in 2022 is weird to me.
Re: My Journey Into React Native by bularuz(m): 10:51am On Jan 01, 2022
qtguru:

it's Cordova still WebView, not saying you shouldn't use it but don't expect performance like Native. Writing WebView in 2022 is weird to me.

I see your point but react native also uses WebView to render some of its DOM though its faster.
Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 11:21am On Jan 01, 2022
bularuz:

I see your point but react native also uses WebView to render some of its DOM though its faster.

False React Native uses Hermes Engine to translate JavaScript code to Native, WebView is a seperate component that can be used with React Native, Cordova is what is built on WebView, because I worked on a WebView with React Project recently and I could see how Cordova was built internally using the WebView. What you need to understand is Android consumes enough memory running your application , then WebView requires yet additional memory to load your webpages, and naturally the DOM is slow, you can see how why I say Cordova is an outdated Technology. Native will remain the best choice, whether we argue it or not, but Hybrid like React native and Flutter are the only cross development that makes sense currently.

Ionic is outdated.
Quasar is outdated
Anything Cordova is outdated

However Ionic has a React Native Project.

I want to ensure you have a proper understanding of the Mobile Dev climate

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into React Native by qtguru(m): 11:30pm On Feb 08, 2022
Here is an update on React Native, I started using UI Libraries I switched from RNUILib to one template from Creative tim amd it uses a UI Library called Galio Framework.

Here is the video of it
https://www.awesomescreenshot.com/video/7281024?key=c6dab5af2e4bff7b3fff8b6fa0628ea8

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into React Native by 3exe3: 8:20pm On Feb 20, 2022
Pls do update your diary

Following up cause I too am struggling like u were but a lil difference

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Android Tab With Swipe Views In Android Studio / Female Programmer Here: Please Help (c Language) / Help On Php Code For A Dice Game

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.