Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,128 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 (9710 Views)

ASUU Strike Enters 100 Days, No End In Sight / Nigeria Nation Wide Strike Enters Day Two:no Deal Btw Senate N Labour / Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Mayoks(m): 12:11am On Jan 19, 2013
Offices of the Nigerian Postal Service (NIPOST) across Nigeria have been under lock and key for a week now and things are not about the change, workers said on Sunday.

The workers embarked on an indefinite strike a week ago to compel the government pay about 69-month salary arrears they claim is owed to NIPOST pensioners.

Hundreds of thousands of mails and parcels remain stuck at post offices across Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation with a big mailing business.

Workers have said that they had given the government many warning notices in the past years but their demands have never been met.

“How can the government owe these old people 69 months salary arrears?” a staff asked, adding, “do they want to kill them?” Gates at various post offices remained locked and plastered with placards and posters on Sunday.

One placards read: “Postmaster General. Accountant General of the Federation, enough is enough. Pay our 69 month pension arrears.”

A staff told our correspondent on Sunday that the strike will continue tomorrow as the government remains unconcerned.

“They are not talking to us. The government is death to our demands. It is an indefinite strike,” he said.

He, however, hinted that with some money, parcels could be claimed through the back door.

“There is nothing money cannot do,” he said. He refused to be identified. But he works at a post office located at Adeola Adeku, Victoria Island, Lagos, southwest Nigeria.

source http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/01/14/pain-as-nigerian-postal-workers-strike-enters-week-2/
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by lumcy34: 12:20am On Jan 19, 2013
these should make front page
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by lacasa: 1:07am On Jan 19, 2013
Failed govt
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by free2ryhme: 1:08am On Jan 19, 2013
Federal Govt have made up their mind to kill Nigeria and they’re doing it gradually. Transport (rail, road, air, water) is dead, local refineries are long dead, Education is dead, NEPA (PHCN) is dead, now it’s NIPOST, it could be humans next.

Am sick and tired of being a Nigerian. God help US!

3 Likes

Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by luvola(m): 1:08am On Jan 19, 2013
na wa o...make i hear 1st poster for their... Na missle i go throw give that person
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by lekanSuccess(m): 1:11am On Jan 19, 2013
Just can't imagine what this old ones would have been going through,69 months..... our government is heartless. If they don't want to be paying the pension again, they should let them know so as to get their minds off it.
Am very sure, someone must have fixed this money. I wish the figure involved could be disclosed.
Hahaha......!
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Nobody: 1:19am On Jan 19, 2013
Selfish government and politicians
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by MadCow1: 1:20am On Jan 19, 2013
But wait o!

Does NIPOST still work!?

Whenever I drive past their headquarters in Port Harcourt, the place looks dead.. I even thought squatters had taken over the place...

When was the last time anybody recieved a mail via NIPOST!?

If NIPOST still exists, what exactly do they do there because everybody now uses electronic mail for letters and courier services like DHL and UPS for packages..

Next think I will hear is that Water Works are on strike..

4 Likes

Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Nobody: 1:43am On Jan 19, 2013
The money meant for the 69-months arreas has been diverted into one person's account. Tafa Babalola did the same thing and nothing happened to him.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by ghettodreamz(m): 1:49am On Jan 19, 2013
Oga ooooooo!

Failed Government...
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by GeneralJ(m): 1:50am On Jan 19, 2013
Nigeria has postal service? wow
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Nobody: 1:50am On Jan 19, 2013
So the postal service still exists? wow!!

1 Like

Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by i1: 2:06am On Jan 19, 2013
Its sad that our country fails †☺ take care of its pensioners! Nipost actually offers cheap courier services! Have two boxes I maintain(surulere and Marina) aπϑ its quite cheap!
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by amaham(m): 2:20am On Jan 19, 2013
@madcow-nipost does work especially if u need to receive parcels in rural areas. I used there services during my nysc in one interior of niger state. In these areas all the dhl and ups doesn't know de location but nipost exist there.

2 Likes

Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Nobody: 2:26am On Jan 19, 2013
And after serving this country for up to 60 yrs of age or 35yrs in service you get repaid this way,

Is this the what his transformation agenda meant?

If it was subsidy removal now that okonjo Iweala/subsidy called within two weeks it would be on a realisation path and to people who wworked tooth& nail for the for the betterment of this country now neglected with no single human feeling, but rather nursing 2015 ambition.

1 Like

Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by kabukabu50(m): 2:30am On Jan 19, 2013
NIPOST sucks anyways,a bunch of theiving..slimy bums.

Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Nobody: 2:33am On Jan 19, 2013
kabukabu50: NIPOST sucks anyways,a bunch of theiving..slimy bums.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/954441_corruption_map_of_the_world_giff022cc3ae5a017800dc62054d31ae657

What a shame.

Just look at the continent of Africa.

No speckles of light yellow anywhere.

THIS IS WHY AFRICA IS THE WAY IT IS.

LMAO@ the Western world being no corruption to least likely to be corrupt. ehn I tell ya, this stats na corruption sef

As for the USA, just because people perceive their politicians as less likely to be corrupt does not mean the USA is not red-listed.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Coldfaya(m): 3:09am On Jan 19, 2013
free2ryhme: Federal Govt have made up their mind to kill Nigeria and they’re doing it gradually. Transport (rail, road, air, water) is dead, local refineries are long dead, Education is dead, NEPA (PHCN) is dead, now it’s NIPOST, it could be humans next.

Point of correction; NIPOST was already dead, its just trying to resurrect sef.
Well asper tired of being Nigerian, hmmmm, u v got no choice. Let's try n see if we can salvage d country 4rm d hands of those biggots
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by yhemster(m): 3:40am On Jan 19, 2013
So this is why my EMS parcel never get delivered, I wish I knew earlier they are going on strike so I would have used the alternative courier service. The truth be told: National Postal Services is not a profit venture, even the US Postal Service is a failure business wise. Abeg Mr. Jonathan and NIPOST union make you na make a deal, my parcel need to be delivered ASAP. cool
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Patrictemmy(m): 4:01am On Jan 19, 2013
Na wa 4 dis country o
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by iamswizz(m): 4:33am On Jan 19, 2013
free2ryhme: Federal Govt have made up their mind to kill Nigeria and they’re doing it gradually. Transport (rail, road, air, water) is dead, local refineries are long dead, Education is dead, NEPA (PHCN) is dead, now it’s NIPOST, it could be humans next.

well.. I am not sick and tired of Nigeria! tongue
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by EloquentMedia: 4:43am On Jan 19, 2013
Government has no business being in business. Privatization is the key to civilization in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by akatonero(m): 4:50am On Jan 19, 2013
Yet farmers can Mk calls from their farmland soon grin grin grin grin though better for nipost since three months dey hv been holding my transcript just to deliver it to New York is a problem.the can go to strike for 30yrs failed people.mtcheeeeeeeeew
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by nex(m): 5:13am On Jan 19, 2013
Which kain yeye pains?! Is NIPOST stopping you from using your email?! Or has NIPOST blocked BBM services. ABEG! ABEG!! ABEG!!!
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Goddex: 5:38am On Jan 19, 2013
But seriously, does NIPOST still exist? Fed Govt should just sell it to private sector.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by gray10: 5:54am On Jan 19, 2013
This is becoming somefyn else .... My mobile phone from london have been in nigeria for weeks now I can collect it my transcript to germany can't be send. The FG don't seem to answer these people cos there more viable options like dhl, fedex, ups etc ... These pensioners should use a plan b cos the post master general is not affected by the strike he is only being given an extended holiday.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by Nobody: 6:12am On Jan 19, 2013
[quote author=free2ryhme]Federal Govt have made up their mind to kill Nigeria and they’re doing it gradually. Transport (rail, road, air, water) is dead, local refineries are dead....
Am sick and tired of being a Nigerian.
sick n tired of being a nigerian? go join somalia or afghanistan or even syria.who beg u to b a 9ja'n yeye coment
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by LloydAchi(m): 6:17am On Jan 19, 2013
Well I didn't know that NIPOST still exists...that's strange.
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by ibitomisi: 6:27am On Jan 19, 2013
it's a bad governance we have things are getting worse daily, changes done are very minute why those untouched are those that needed urgent attention, see old man and woman whose strength are diminishing how they make them go to bed with empty stomach,i personal do not rely on this human government. They are just fakes
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by ziccoit: 6:31am On Jan 19, 2013
Lloyd Achi: Well I didn't know that NIPOST still exists...that's strange.

I didn't know there was a strike until I saw this. The lesson here is a worker should make himself indispensable through provision of services that could only be sourced and enjoyed via him. There're several better means of doing what NIPOST is doing more effectively that is why the callous government could take them for granted.

When you stand out, nobody would dare to touch you. You would be the one negotiating terms and conditions of service.

1 Like

Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by princemolak(m): 6:50am On Jan 19, 2013
I wonder when Nigeria will have a listening government,www.efiweblog.info
Re: Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 by deenee: 6:50am On Jan 19, 2013
Well, NIPOST still exist but I doubt if they can still compete efficiently in the global market place. Their services are also quite cheap too.

One thing though, the FGN is not owning them 69 months salary. This translates into about 5 years of work without pay. What is owed is pension arrears and there is a verification process going on . More so these same worker refused to participate in the electronic verification process thereby making it difficult to authenticate who is eligible for pension or not.

I feel concern for the striking workers but let's get a feel of the global picture before condemning the FG.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"A Reed Made Flint": Yakubu Dogara's Biography By Dele Momodu Launched / Ambode Arrives Assembly Complex To Present 2019 Budget / Customs Lost N1.3tn To Buhari’s Waivers – CG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.