Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,765 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? (4298 Views)

God Has Ordained Orji Kalu To Speak For The Igbo –prophet / Mbaka, Catholic And Politics: Nigerian Tweets Interesting Facts / Top Ten Miraculous Catholic Priests In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by EzePromoe: 10:06am On Jan 20, 2013
I'm born Anglican but have been to Roman Catholic churches at different occasions but have noticed something worth of observation. Women are not ordained as priests in both churches. I know that there are some other churches that like this e.g Methodist, Baptist and so on. But Anglican and Roman Catholic having the highest membership in Nigeria, still remain our focal point. Why are women not ordained into service? Is it that they aren't capable or what? In Anglican churches and some other protestant churches, I may understand that their priests are permitted to marry, so women via there can still be part of the ministry as priests wives but in the Catholic churches were there Reverend Fathers aren't married how are women being part of the ministerial work? I know that they have the Supreme Mother and also Reverend Sisters but they're just as good as evangelists, I don't think they can run the church service in the absence of the Reverend Father. Don't you think that in this 21st century where the world is changing that some of these customs need to be amended? Look at the Pentecostal Churches for example, I see female pastors and God uses them mightily. Women need to be given the opportunity to answer to the call of God in some of these giant churches.
Still in the spirit of Sunday, no thread derailing. THANKS smiley
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by Nobody: 10:12am On Jan 20, 2013
^^^

Good morning Eze,

The colour you chose makes it very difficult to read your post.

Can you please modify it for ease of reading?

Thanks!
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by advocate666: 10:16am On Jan 20, 2013
because the omnimpotent one made them have periods.
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by EzePromoe: 10:17am On Jan 20, 2013
striktlymi: ^^^

Good morning Eze,

The colour you chose makes it very difficult to read your post.

Can you please modify it for ease of reading?

Thanks!
CORRECTED!
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by advocate666: 10:17am On Jan 20, 2013
op, he said colour, not font size.
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by EzePromoe: 10:21am On Jan 20, 2013
advocate666: op, he said colour, not font size.
CORRECTED!
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by Saksreal(f): 11:30am On Jan 20, 2013
1Corinthians 14:34-35.

"Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive; as the law says

" And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church".

I hope this answers your question
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by Nobody: 11:36am On Jan 20, 2013
Saksreal: 1Corinthians 14:34-35.

"Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive; as the law says

" And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church".

Good morning Saks,

I don't think the above explains the reason. I am a Catholic and I know women are very vocal in the Catholic Church and really they do not need to wait for their husbands to explain stuff to them.

Thank you!
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by advocate666: 11:43am On Jan 20, 2013
striktlymi:

Good morning Saks,

I don't think the above explains the reason. I am a Catholic and I know women are very vocal in the Catholic Church and really they do not need to wait for their husbands to explain stuff to them.

Thank you!

so you disagree with your bible?
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jan 20, 2013
advocate666:

so you disagree with your bible?

Good afternoon Mr. Advocate,

Long time! I trust all is well!

But don't you think there is a difference between "explaining the reason why something is" and "disagreeing with the bible"?
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by advocate666: 12:11pm On Jan 20, 2013
striktlymi:

Good afternoon Mr. Advocate,

Long time! I trust all is well!

But don't you think there is a difference between "explaining the reason why something is" and "disagreeing with the bible"?

Are you going to turn into Anony with your question of questions? There is a difference between everything.

Anyway, I dey fine. Just some people decided that it would be pleasing to their lords, Allah and Jizz-Us, to infringe upon my freedom of expression by banning me for longer than normal.
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jan 20, 2013
advocate666:

Are you going to turn into Anony with your question of questions? There is a difference between everything.

Anyway, I dey fine. Just some people decided that it would be pleasing to their lords, Allah and Jizz-Us, to infringe upon my freedom of expression by banning me for longer than normal.

Sorry about that! Hope your 'freedom' to express yourself did not infringe on the rights of other users sha? For it is indeed true that though 'we are born free, we still walk about in chains'

Anyways, I agree with everything in sacred scriptures and I know that interpretations and context are very key to understanding Sacred scriptures.

Welcome back!
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by advocate666: 12:29pm On Jan 20, 2013
striktlymi:

Sorry about that! Hope your 'freedom' to express yourself did not infringe on the rights of other users sha? For it is indeed true that though 'we are born free, we still walk about in chains'

Anyways, I agree with everything in sacred scriptures and I know that interpretations and context are very key to understanding Sacred scriptures.

Welcome back!

I was born into the chains of religion, Now I am free. No hypocritical banning perpetrated against me shall prosper.
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jan 20, 2013
advocate666:

I was born into the chains of religion, Now I am free. No hypocritical banning perpetrated against me shall prosper.

Lol!!!
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jan 20, 2013

This why i say the bible is evil. If human being are equal,then a woman is equal to a man. Any woman who tolorates this verse of thr bible should think and think again. Why would you let a gay god dictate your lives?
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jan 20, 2013
ifeness:

This why i say the bible is evil. If human being are equal,then a woman is equal to a man. Any woman who tolorates this verse of thr bible should think and think again. Why would you let a gay god dictate your lives?

Good afternoon Ifeness

Dictatorship implies a lack of freedom but I don't think this best describes what Christians and those who believe in sacred scriptures do.

There is freedom of choice! No one is forced to do what he or she does not want. You are free not to believe in God just like those who believe in sacred scriptures are free to denounce it. Advocate was into religion before he stepped out.

Hence the issue of dictatorship really does not arise here.

PS: Hope you are not anti gay?

Thank you!
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by SeunPlus(f): 5:02pm On Jan 20, 2013

Remember, its not everything in the bible we're to follow. If not, why are Christians ordered to leave vengeance for God when it is written in the bible that a tooth for tooth and an eye for eye.
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by Afam4eva(m): 5:31pm On Jan 20, 2013
SeunPlus:
Remember, its not everything in the bible we're to follow. If not, why are Christians ordered to leave vengeance for God when it is written in the bible that a tooth for tooth and an eye for eye.
So, how are you to determine what scripture you'll follow and the one you won't follow. Abi, do you just follow the one you like and throw away the one you don't like? Is there any part of the scripture that says you should not follow on scriptures?
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by SeunPlus(f): 5:42pm On Jan 20, 2013
Afam4eva:
So, how are you to determine what scripture you'll follow and the one you won't follow. Abi, do you just follow the one you like and throw away the one you don't like? Is there any part of the scripture that says you should not follow on scriptures?
I don't know but since she said women should shut up and not lead in the church, why was Deborah a prophetess?
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by Afam4eva(m): 5:45pm On Jan 20, 2013
SeunPlus:
I don't know but since she said women should shut up and not lead in the church, why was Deborah a prophetess?
Deborah was not a Christian. Christianity started with the coming of Jesus Christ. That's the reason why people are told not to follow the laws in old testament.
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by SeunPlus(f): 5:50pm On Jan 20, 2013
Afam4eva:
Deborah was not a Christian. Christianity started with the coming of Jesus Christ. That's the reason why people are told not to follow the laws in old testament.
That's a big lie, Afam. If we're not to follow the law, why do these churches preaches against women wearing trousers or men plaiting their hair undecided
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by Afam4eva(m): 5:53pm On Jan 20, 2013
SeunPlus:
That's a big lie, Afam. If we're not to follow the law, why do these churches preaches against women wearing trousers or men plaiting their hair undecided
That's where some of these churches get it wrong. We're living by grace and not by laws now. The coming of Jesus changed all that. We're not judged by our outward appearance but by what is inside of us.
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by SeunPlus(f): 6:02pm On Jan 20, 2013
Afam4eva:
That's where some of these churches get it wrong. We're living by grace and not by laws now. The coming of Jesus changed all that. We're not judged by our outward appearance but by what is inside of us.
So even if I where bum-shorts to church, it doesn't matter
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by Afam4eva(m): 6:03pm On Jan 20, 2013
SeunPlus:
So even if I where bum-shorts to church, it doesn't matter
Yeah, it doesn't matter. But it's expected that at some point, you'll grow out of wearing bum-shorts to change. There are baby Christians and there are...
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by SeunPlus(f): 7:10pm On Jan 20, 2013
Afam4eva:
Yeah, it doesn't matter. But it's expected that at some point, you'll grow out of wearing bum-shorts to change. There are baby Christians and there are...
SMH angry
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by italo: 7:28am On Jan 21, 2013
@ OP,

Jesus ordained 12 men and 0 women.

The Catholic Church is only following her head.
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by advocate666: 8:35am On Jan 21, 2013
italo: @ OP,

Jesus ordained 12 men and 0 women.

The Catholic Church is only following her head.

GAY
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by italo: 4:14pm On Jan 21, 2013
In your depraved opinion.
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by Lovethywilbedon: 11:08pm On Jan 21, 2013
Eze Promoe: I'm born Anglican but have been to Roman Catholic churches at different occasions but have noticed something worth of observation. Women are not ordained as priests in both churches. I know that there are some other churches that like this e.g Methodist, Baptist and so on. But Anglican and Roman Catholic having the highest membership in Nigeria, still remain our focal point. Why are women not ordained into service? Is it that they aren't capable or what? In Anglican churches and some other protestant churches, I may understand that their priests are permitted to marry, so women via there can still be part of the ministry as priests wives but in the Catholic churches were there Reverend Fathers aren't married how are women being part of the ministerial work? I know that they have the Supreme Mother and also Reverend Sisters but they're just as good as evangelists, I don't think they can run the church service in the absence of the Reverend Father. Don't you think that in this 21st century where the world is changing that some of these customs need to be amended? Look at the Pentecostal Churches for example, I see female pastors and God uses them mightily. Women need to be given the opportunity to answer to the call of God in some of these giant churches.
Still in the spirit of Sunday, no thread derailing. THANKS smiley
You post here made it appear as if women are sidelined in the Catholic Church, but that is not true. Just as some positions are reserved for men, there are some positions too that no man born of a woman can occupy. They include [1]The position of An "Abbess". This is the head of a female monastries, and is the highest position a woman can attain in the Catholic church. This position is almost equivalent to that of a bishop. They make use Crusier, ie the shephards staff just like a bishop. They have many Nuns under their care just as a bishop have priest under his care. You have not seen them because you have not being to a female Monastry. [2] Superior Generals of women Religious Congregations. Just as priests are under a bishop, a woman who is The SUPERIOR GENERAL of any women's Religious Congregation is under no one except the Pope, or a Cardinal who the Pope deligates the office of regulating the activities of Religious institutions. [3.] "The Mother" of a Convent. I think this is the one you cited. No matter what happens in this life, a man CAN NEVER OCCUPY ANY OF THE ABOVE MENTIONED POSTS IN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. Now down to the parish level, we have female parish adminstrator, female Parish Council Chiarman, female Cathedral adminstrators, female Catechists and the list goes on and on. This feminist idea that women are not Important in the Catholic Church should be done away with. Just as women played very important role in the ministry of Jesus Christ except that of being Apostles, so do women play ALL THE IMPORTANT ROLES in THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST EXCEPT that of being PRIESTS and BISHOPS who are the present day representatives of the Apostles.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by stagger911(m): 12:25am On Jun 28, 2014
Lovethywilbedon: You post here made it appear as if women are sidelined in the Catholic Church, but that is not true. Just as some positions are reserved for men, there are some positions too that no man born of a woman can occupy. They include [1]The position of An "Abbess". This is the head of a female monastries, and is the highest position a woman can attain in the Catholic church. This position is almost equivalent to that of a bishop. They make use Crusier, ie the shephards staff just like a bishop. They have many Nuns under their care just as a bishop have priest under his care. You have not seen them because you have not being to a female Monastry. [2] Superior Generals of women Religious Congregations. Just as priests are under a bishop, a woman who is The SUPERIOR GENERAL of any women's Religious Congregation is under no one except the Pope, or a Cardinal who the Pope deligates the office of regulating the activities of Religious institutions. [3.] "The Mother" of a Convent. I think this is the one you cited. No matter what happens in this life, a man CAN NEVER OCCUPY ANY OF THE ABOVE MENTIONED POSTS IN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. Now down to the parish level, we have female parish adminstrator, female Parish Council Chiarman, female Cathedral adminstrators, female Catechists and the list goes on and on. This feminist idea that women are not Important in the Catholic Church should be done away with. Just as women played very important role in the ministry of Jesus Christ except that of being Apostles, so do women play ALL THE IMPORTANT ROLES in THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST EXCEPT that of being PRIESTS and BISHOPS who are the present day representatives of the Apostles.

Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:11pm On Jun 28, 2014
ifeness:

as was pointed out earlier, there is no question of dictatorship, each man has a choice of how to lead his life. Some has make themselve the decided of all, other look to a higher power. There is no dictator, each freely choses and follows his choice.

Actually, the scriptures has little problem with "equality" rightly understood. Actually i believe firmly that God created both man and woman according to his image, in his own likeness and that he endowed them thus with equal dignity.
Also important, i believe that God made a diversity in creation, he moulded for each person a responsibility. Each to his duty and each to his responsibilities, some more firmly than other.

The scriptures not encourage inequality, it instead notes the plan of God in creation, it show that creation and equality doesn't presuppose, entail, incoporate or encourage uniformity.

That man and woman are equal in dignity doesn't mean each must be unform in duty, responsibity and work. Man and woman are equal and different.
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:12pm On Jun 28, 2014
[quote author=stagger911][/quote]

i must note that the pic pasted by stagger does not describe a catholic worship.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Group Version Of Nairaland Bible Quiz-for Everyone,especially You / Cry Me A River. / Pictures: Classy Or Trashy? Can You Dress Like To Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.