Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,137 members, 7,829,069 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? (4309 Views)

God Has Ordained Orji Kalu To Speak For The Igbo –prophet / Mbaka, Catholic And Politics: Nigerian Tweets Interesting Facts / Top Ten Miraculous Catholic Priests In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:29pm On Jun 28, 2014
Eze Promoe: I'm born Anglican but have been to Roman Catholic churches at different occasions but have noticed something worth of observation. Women are not ordained as priests in both churches. I know that there are some other churches that like this e.g Methodist, Baptist and so on. But Anglican and Roman Catholic having the highest membership in Nigeria, still remain our focal point. Why are women not ordained into service? Is it that they aren't capable or what? In Anglican churches and some other protestant churches, I may understand that their priests are permitted to marry, so women via there can still be part of the ministry as priests wives but in the Catholic churches were there Reverend Fathers aren't married how are women being part of the ministerial work? I know that they have the Supreme Mother and also Reverend Sisters but they're just as good as evangelists, I don't think they can run the church service in the absence of the Reverend Father. Don't you think that in this 21st century where the world is changing that some of these customs need to be amended? Look at the Pentecostal Churches for example, I see female pastors and God uses them mightily. Women need to be given the opportunity to answer to the call of God in some of these giant churches.
Still in the spirit of Sunday, no thread derailing. THANKS smiley

first and foremost, the absence of female priest is not a custom and thus can not be amended, it is a doctrine grounded in scripture.

In the old testament God was extremely specific of the priesthood, in ex he says the whole nation of isreal are priests, then he goes futher, he say the ministerial priesthood is reserved for men of the house of levi, and in particular for Aaron and his sons. There is no room for priestess in the scriptures. God wasn't blind to the capabilities of a woman, he was specific on what he wants.
In the new covenant Christ came and chose 12 men and told them "recieve the holyspirit, whoever u forgive are forgiven...", he told them "he who hear you, hears me", he said "do this in memory of me". In all of these cases scripture is very specific that he said this to 12 men, those men laid hand on more men. And no where in the history of christianity are women ordained priest.

the ordination of women is a doctrine of men and has no place in scripture or church history. This doesn't mean that women in the catholic church do not have leadership roles. They do, but the priesthood since time immemorial is reserved for men.
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by cbravo(m): 3:32pm On Sep 03, 2016
The Role and Contributions of Women in the Catholic Church.

Background to the study

Right from creation, women have played an enormous role in the religious, social, political, economic and moral development of nations. As her male counterparts created in the image and likeness of God, the woman was also given the command to be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and govern it. Since then, women have participated actively in various fields.

Though not seen as equal with her male counterpart and relegated and discriminated against in almost every sphere of life, the women has been relentless, in her effort to assert her independence and God’s given role. Today, the influence and the indispensable role of women cannot be over emphasized.

In the political social and religious history of the Israelites, certain women performed outstanding roles so much so that the Bible will be incomplete without mentioning these women.

http://www.bravoprojecthelp.com/education/the-role-and-contributions-of-women-in-the-catholic-church/
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by EzePromoe: 6:48am On Oct 18, 2016
Lalasticlala, please I need your services here.
Re: Why Are Women Not Ordained Priests In Roman Catholic And Anglican Churches? by cbravo2: 7:06am On May 29, 2017

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jesus Wasn't As Handsome As Many Present Him To Be? / SPIRIT HUSBAND..A Reality Or Just A Joke / Rising Atheism By Deji Yesufu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.