Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,414 members, 7,819,484 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight (4405 Views)

Before You Spank That Your Child,this May Help You. (pics) / I Am Dying, They Are Tweeting by 'Sola Fagorusi / Ladies, Do You Lose Appetite The First Day You Start Yr Period? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by Slyr0x: 1:29pm On Jan 22, 2013
Along with being a haven for breaking news, celebrity updates, and bad jokes, Twitter may have another use: a handy weight-loss tool.

Researchers at the University of South Carolina found the support and accountability provided by posting to the social networking site made a difference in how much weight people lost. Although the two groups in the study — one that tweeted and one that didn’t — lost the same amount of weight during the trial, the individuals within the Twitter group who posted the most also lost the most weight.

Both groups received podcasts containing information on nutrition and exercise, but one group tracked their progress in a book, while another used a smartphone app and Twitter. When Brie Turner-McGrievy and her colleagues at USC’s Arnold School of Public Health took a closer look at the results, they found those actively tweeting and retweeting lost more weight.

“The more they were posting to Twitter, the better off they did,” Turner-McGrievy said. In analyzing the frequency and types of posts, her team found that every 10 tweets corresponded with about 0.5 percent weight loss.

In the study, published this week in Translational Behavioral Medicine, researchers recognize that most examinations of remote social support during weight-loss programs have focused on message boards and some have looked at how social networking sites might foster support. What sets this study apart, Turner-McGrievy said, was its closer look at the type of social support people were providing, how often they were using Twitter, and whether it seemed to be related to success with weight loss.

Seventy-five percent of the 2,630 tweets in the study were classified as “informational,” with most characterized as status updates providing new facts or skills. (“I avoided eating a pastry this morning at a breakfast meeting! I did have a skim Mocha without whipped cream … not too bad!”)

Turner-McGrievy said the anonymity provided by Twitter, where you can post as @POD45 rather than using your real name, as you do with Facebook, was a positive aspect for the participants.

“No one wants to talk about their weight online. One of the things we asked people to do was post how many pounds they lost on Friday of every week,” she said. “Some people still didn’t want to post how many pounds they had lost, even with the anonymous Twitter account. That’s very sensitive.”

After getting an initial look at how people reacted to using Twitter during a weight-loss study, the research team is looking at how best to tailor high-tech and low-tech feedback to each participant.

“We don’t have to do this one-size-fits-all,” Turner-McGrievy said. “How can we predict who would be good to be in a Twitter group, or a Facebook group, or a texting-only group, or a leave-me-alone group? What do we know at the beginning where we can give people the type of intervention that they need?”

http://www.wired.com/playbook/2013/01/twitter-as-a-weight-loss-tool
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by ashaju33: 1:34pm On Jan 22, 2013
I dont believe the research, it was just a coincidence.Period!!!

1 Like

Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jan 22, 2013
oya, pass me the twitter i want to retweet all tweets... i must loose weight o
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by ebucha: 1:39pm On Jan 22, 2013
Hahaha. Mumu square. Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You gain hight
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by otumfour(m): 1:40pm On Jan 22, 2013
Next they'll be saying weed is now a vegetable....... angry wht boredom can do to humans ehn undecided
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jan 22, 2013
This is exactly what nairaland does! If in doubt, go to health section! wink
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jan 22, 2013
Nice advert!
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by mrkels(m): 1:56pm On Jan 22, 2013
ebucha: Hahaha. Mumu square. Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You gain hight

Bros, what is that? shocked
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jan 22, 2013
ebucha: Hahaha. Mumu square. Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You gain hight

hght
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by iammodel(m): 2:04pm On Jan 22, 2013
Good advert! I'm readily available for "how I gained height while facebooking" advert. Mark, you better come on time.
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jan 22, 2013
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by kevoh(m): 2:05pm On Jan 22, 2013
I am 100% sure Americans will believe this crap all in the name of losing weight.
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by Chanchit: 2:16pm On Jan 22, 2013
If its true, then NL Would definately make u loose more weight.
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by udytex: 2:20pm On Jan 22, 2013
Pls help...I 2go a lot, and I realised lately dat I'm loosing weight...hmmmm...pls cud it be as a result of always beoing on line I.e (2going)
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by nlofficial(m): 2:26pm On Jan 22, 2013
Bollocks. Go to the gym!
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by Dygeasy(m): 3:20pm On Jan 22, 2013
If I chop rice for 2pm and I still no belleful and I still drink gaari for 2:30pm, e still no do, I con go buy gala and I chop am on top and my mama con dey complain say "dygeasy u go get fat o.. I'm sorry for you"

I go just tell her say "mama no worry I get twitter"

Tcheew yeye people!
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by LagosBoi2(m): 3:43pm On Jan 22, 2013
awon were , advert oshi
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by speeder(m): 3:49pm On Jan 22, 2013
Your study should have said "typing and clicking helps one to loose weight" not this trash. I click more on nairaland than on twitter.
Are they trying to say, unless its on twitter, its useless. Foolish white ppl.
Who's more educated now.
If the research was from a black, they'll say.....

No, speed driving makes u speed faster to heaven than slow drivers. Mumu country.

Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by billynoni(m): 4:04pm On Jan 22, 2013
Owk...nd facebook/2go/bbm nd rest? They will make u gain weight?.....bunch of crap! Mtcheeeew
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by idrisolaide(m): 4:05pm On Jan 22, 2013
Oh My God!

Thank God say no be only me dey read this.. I have read this some few days ago and i've been trying to brake my head with it.

What i see their is that the so call TWITTER Co. has a target and has made a ground braking agreement in private promising to hit a specified number of users, so they fabricate this yeye story so as to boost their numbers

More so, if they say Tweeting, Re-tweeting may help to lose weight.. (Then lemme ask you guys this question. WHAT WILL BROWSING OR SURF at large reduce) maybe hypertension, Cancer, or HIV.

Abeg make dem stop all these their jolo Story jo..

Ola Say so
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by Mamaflex(f): 4:49pm On Jan 22, 2013
Abeg wetin be Tweeting and Retweeting Na vegetables abi na dancing steps

1 Like

Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jan 22, 2013
I think i need some more tweets. grin
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by horlabiyi(m): 5:31pm On Jan 22, 2013
Please move this to the jokes section. Mtcheew
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by jmoore(m): 6:27pm On Jan 22, 2013
facebook makes you gain weight...smh
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by ore64dollar: 6:40pm On Jan 22, 2013
I'd rather believe that always being online too often than necessary might make you loose weight. What's the technology behind tweeting and retweeting? Is it not the same point and click? Abeg...
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jan 22, 2013
tweeting and retweeting = obesity + laziness
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by Techwriter: 6:53pm On Jan 22, 2013
Reading this thread can help u gain height

Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by kramer: 7:19pm On Jan 22, 2013
What sort of bullocks is this?? .... Who seriously spends money researching such nonsense when thousands of children are dying in Africa?!?
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by CGKing(m): 9:43pm On Jan 22, 2013
Yeah right. We also conducted a reaearch here in lagos, when u facebook too much, ppl start liking ur face
Re: Tweeting, Retweeting May Help You #lose Weight by free2ryhme: 6:45pm On Jan 23, 2013
i dey laff for swahili

(1) (Reply)

Biography Of 2face Idibia's Youngest Brother, Charles Idibia / Should A Wife Be Able To Slaughter A Chicken? / WORLD SMALLEST SNAKE SPECIE.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.