Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,833 members, 7,824,469 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Last Moments Of A Thief - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Last Moments Of A Thief (1047 Views)

A Thief In The Church - Part 1 18+ Story / == A Thief In The Church == ( A Short Story ) / Anyigba Thief - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Last Moments Of A Thief by snazzydawn(f): 7:21pm On Mar 03, 2008
As I lay in my bed, eyes staring upwards into the semi darkness, gradually getting accustomed to the semi darkness, I could make out a faint silhouette of my old, rickety chair, the only piece of furniture in this shack I called a room.
I groped for my torchlight beside my matress and pointed it in the direction of the clock.It was 6. am; a new day had begun. I could hear the faint rustle of leaves as the birds chirped to signal the resumption of a daily routine of nest building. I could hear my neighbours stirring to activity in preparation for a new day.I rose up lazily, picked up my old bristly toothbrush, rubbed some salt on the wellworn bristles, went outside to brush my teeth. I came in afterwards, picked up my iron bucket, went to the water tap that served the whole compound,fetched some water with which I took my bath.I threw my threadbare shirt over my back, slipped into my worn out trousers, slipped my feet into sandals that had seen better days.I stood at my doorsteps, looked ahead, not looking at anything in particular. I just stared into space; the tears welled up in my eyes because all I could see around me was wretchedness. The future looked bleak, all I could see was poverty all around me. I had nothing to look forward to.I flicked the tears away with my bony wrists and trudged out.With no destination in mind, I approached the market place. "Phil", I turned as I heard my name. I saw my friend John, running toward me. There was this look he had on his face, the look of a man who had just struck gold. He took me aside and led me into a secluded place. Looking sneakily from left to right to see if anyone else was there. Seeing none, he reached into his underpants and brought out something. "Oh my!" I screamed below my breath. "A gun!' He hushed me."I want you to accompany me somehwere", he said. I obliged.We trudged along until we arrived at a neighbourhood. We approached a house in that neighbourhood. John signalled for me to wait outside for him. He went in.One minute,two minutes,5 minutes, Thief! Thief! Thief! I heard the screams coming from inside the house. I saw John spring out with the speed of a bullet from the house."What the, He whistled past me before I could say a word. I was in a daze, transfixed to the spot. Before I could gather my wits together, I saw the mob advancing toward me with matchetes, wielding big sticks and clubs. I could see the anger, I could see the hatred in their eyes, I could feel it seeping through their pores. I could see that they were hungry for blood. I tried to run but it was too late. The angry crowd had closed in on me. Blows descended on me. I could feel sticks, matchetes and clubs punding on my head, neck chest, awwww! my legs, I looked around for a way to escape, I saw none. I could feel my own blood flowingfreely down my face, into my mouth, all over my body. I was in so much pain."Burn him", I heard a voice say. Out of nowhere, tyres appeared, they were put around my writhing body."Petrol please", I heard another voice ask. I felt a cold liquid poured all over me, I could see someone strike a match.In that split second, my whole life flashed before me; I could see my mother on her deathbed, asking me to stay off bad freinds. "Bad friends corrupt good manners, my son", I could hear her saying. I could see myself as a child, playing happily with not a care in the world.Suddenly, the air smelled fresher, the grass looked greener, I became very aware of my surroundings and alas, I knew I wanted to live. I tried to spring up and run but it was too late.I was enveloped by flames, I tried to free myself but I was too weak to help myself. The heat was unbearable. The flames leaped and licked at me with increasing ferocity, searing my flesh. In that instant, I knew the end had come. I felt a numbness creep up on me even in the intense heat. Gradually, the noises were fading, my eyes dimmed as a very heavy sleep took me over then all I could see was darkness, darkness, darkness,
Re: Last Moments Of A Thief by OnoEdosio(m): 9:26am On Aug 12, 2009
shocked
a brilliant rendition.The overall theme is a hopeless black hole that finally engulfs the narrator.
Re: Last Moments Of A Thief by nature262(m): 11:56am On Aug 12, 2009
started well and tragically ended, i wish he woke up and it was just a bad dream cos he only accompanied a bad friend which wasn't enough tragic flaw for the brutal death he got.
Very nice work

(1) (Reply)

Memoirs Of A Distinct Student / Hot Romance - See Examples / Home Of Short Tales

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.