Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,264 members, 7,811,736 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:27 PM

Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? (8046 Views)

Poll: Would you prefer to have an expensive funeral?

Yes: 6% (4 votes)
No: 93% (60 votes)
This poll has ended

Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? / Igbo Girls Are Expensive And Beautiful / Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by nightnurse(f): 8:53pm On Mar 03, 2008
When Jesus of all people died, He had a quiet burial, why then is funeral becoming so expensive today (especially in the eastern part of Nigeria)?

There are lots of people suffering from one sickness or another, some in the hospital, some at home, some of them can't even afford N500 worth of drugs but as soon as they are confirmed dead come see funeral celebration, people wear expensive aso-ebi, his/her family members kills cow(s), imagine celebrating a dead body.

Why can't people spend that money on him/her while he/she is still alive, why do we find it hard to celebrate our loved ones while they are still alive
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by reality4us(m): 3:24pm On Mar 04, 2008
I wonder why people spend fortunes on burials. And it's unfortunate that majority of people even the enlightened and poor in the land indulge in it. But I am happy that Anglican communion in my diocese have long banned expensive burials. They did it by making sure burials are done on Fridays instead of weekends so as to attract less people that will expect to eat and drink. Also dead bodies must be buried within two weeks else the Church will not partake in the burial.

As for me I hardly eat or drink at burial ceremonies. I regard it as another time of solemn reflection about life.

1 Like

Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by idupaul: 3:37pm On Mar 04, 2008
men am tired of people trying to teach people hw 2 spend their funds, methinks the church has no responsibility in teach folks hw to bury wateva , Their primary responsibility is to perform the requiem ritual and go, am nt in support of extravagance at funerals bt every body should be left to decide how they want to bury their loved ones, They can bring in a phil;harmonic band from new york or rent fleas to mourn their dead, its thier business and nt anyone's.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by naijadiva2(f): 7:44pm On Mar 04, 2008
to me, i think expensive funeral are not all that necessary. it depends on the individual. But i don't see why spend all that money on someone who is dead but you couldn't lend them $1 when they were alive. If i were to die before my time (God forbid) i just want to be cremated in my back yard, shoot,make life simple. i don't need floweres, or makeup or nice clothing when i'm dead.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by topkin(m): 12:08am On Mar 05, 2008
It's extremely unnecessary!
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by Kashif(m): 10:27am On Mar 05, 2008
These days when somebody dies, the bereaved mourn not only due to the loss but the seeming high cost of burials. You see the family having series of fund raising meetings. They prefer you send money to even attending the burial. We put ourselves in unecessary pressure because we are trying to meet 'standards'. No matter what we spend, the deseased is deseased!

Its funny when you attend funerals and you see people scampering for food/drinks angry. Some communities in the Eastern part of our country have banned elaborate ceremonies during burial. One stipulates that if you must 'refresh' attendees, then it must be agege bread! That goes to show how people have suffered concerning high burial costs.

To me, the only time burial could be celebrated is if the deseased is very old - not less than 85 years.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by nightnurse(f): 3:57pm On Mar 06, 2008
the whole thing just tire me
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by toshmann(m): 5:25pm On Mar 06, 2008
nightnurse shocked shocked shocked shocked

this one you opened funeral thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked

i'm running away from this nurse, dunno her plans
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by TCUBE(m): 5:25am On Mar 07, 2008
IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT WITHOUT BORROWING , ITS ALL WELL AND GOOD
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by coopedro(m): 10:26am On Mar 07, 2008
TCUBE:

IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT WITHOUT BORROWING , ITS ALL WELL AND GOOD
[/quote

na tru word
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by TerrySoft(m): 10:34am On Mar 07, 2008
Whether rich or poor, enlightened or not, whatever the tribe or culture, expensive burial does not benefit the dead, so why indulge in it?

I do not belong to lslam but their way of burial is the best as far as I'm concerned. My father who will soon turn 81 has said it over and over again that God will bless any of his Son's who will bury him in the backyard without keeping him for a ceremonial burial and I've vowed to do just that for him.

Aged ones could be celebrated upon their departure but we should try also to make sure they are comfortable financially while they live, else every form of celebration is uncalled for.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by zheroes(m): 10:37am On Mar 07, 2008
[size=18pt]ABSOLUTELY UNNECESSARY[/size]- my humble opinion

Burials are moments of grief and its completely different from a wedding or birthday celebration, so i see absolutely no reason why it should be ambiguous, it should be as simple as possible, but today its a joyful moment if there is little cash in the family- you see aswebi girls and what have you, in my opinion its shameful, if only the dead person sees how people celebrate his/her demise and get drunk in the process, no matter what the individual has achieved bottom line is the person is gone.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by nightnurse(f): 10:46am On Mar 07, 2008
@toshnwanyi,

How u dey self? e don teeee ooooo

@ all,

You guys all have ur good and reasonable points, expensive burial is uncalled for, spend the money on the living cos the dead is unconscious of everything we are doing and how u bury them does not count at all, it can't carry them to heaven or hell or where ever, its just a waste of cash! lipsrsealed
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by obstead200(m): 10:50am On Mar 07, 2008
ABSOLUTELY UNNECESSARY- my humble opinion

Burials are moments of grief and its completely different from a wedding or birthday celebration, so i see absolutely no reason why it should be ambiguous, it should be as simple as possible, but today its a joyful moment if there is little cash in the family- you see aswebi girls and what have you, in my opinion its shameful, if only the dead person sees how people celebrate his/her demise and get drunk in the process, no matter what the individual has achieved bottom line is the person is gone.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by needeeg(m): 11:05am On Mar 07, 2008
Im glad to have this topic here, I charted with i friends about this issues of spending much on burials, as Muslem i dont no much about the Bible, so he was like Bibil bla bla, i should not comit ma self into what i dont know, cos im Muslem,i said find the truth will be out someday and this's it im seeing now!
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by Nobody: 11:14am On Mar 07, 2008
Unfortunately that culture of funfare in form of Burial is cripping into the North. formally if someone dies in a house, the mebers of that houshold ill not cook for weeks, neigbors, friends and extended family will bring food and other things to make it easier to the bereaved family, but no, for where, when someone dies, people start strolling into the house from morning and expect to be fed breakfast, lunch and dinner there. Some ill even call you and ask you what variety of food and drinks you have forgeting that you are in mourning. The bereaved family will cook from morning till night and ash plates like hell.
The burail proper , you will have to produce suveniors. The only good thing is that no mattter how old the person is the corpse will be buried within a week.
My Father after a burial told me that if he dies, We should dig a whole and bury him in the backyard and tell people that he ran off ith a 21 yr old chick.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by cicero(m): 11:32am On Mar 07, 2008
TerrySoft:

Whether rich or poor, enlightened or not, whatever the tribe or culture, expensive burial does not benefit the dead, so why indulge in it?

I do not belong to lslam but their way of burial is the best as far as I'm concerned. My father who will soon turn 81 has said it over and over again that God will bless any of his Son's who will bury him in the backyard without keeping him for a ceremonial burial and I've vowed to do just that for him.

Aged ones could be celebrated upon their departure but we should try also to make sure they are comfortable financially while they live, else every form of celebration is uncalled for.

Aisha says it's creeping into the north,
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by PurestBoy(m): 11:40am On Mar 07, 2008
Just a waste of moneyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by seyyk: 12:14pm On Mar 07, 2008
I think expensive funeral is not the best,jsut go ahaed and buri the person in instead of you celebrating what you d'not celebrat when that person was alive. NIGHTNURSE GOOD TOPIC
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by dee02(m): 1:30pm On Mar 07, 2008
totally unnecessary
wrap the dead body in a piece of clean cloth, dig a grave (deep enough) and chuck the body in it!
tell everyone the mourning is over and they can all go home, NO RICE, MOI-MOI OR BURUKUTU!
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by emiemi(f): 1:44pm On Mar 07, 2008
No, not at all. Use the money for better thing(like training your siblings or children in sch).
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by nightnurse(f): 2:29pm On Mar 07, 2008
In some eastern part of Nigeria, you must bury ur dead-father in a very big way before you'll be allowed to talk, eat or drink in gatherings like meetings etc.

I know of this family(in the eastern part of this country), their dad died and because he was a titled man, they had to bury him 7 times (according to their tradition), 6 good cows and 1 goat were killed because the man had 6 males and 1 female child, so each child of his must do his/her own burial ceremony for their late father and it is mandatory, otherwise, they won't be allowed to partake in any thing the villagers were doing and none of the villagers will attend any of the family's functions (wedding,thankgiving etc).

I call it waste of money, its true they are rich and could all afford such expensive traditional whatever, but they should have used such a huge amount of money to help the poor and needy and damn the villagers with their fucking traditions.

I just wish people could do the right thing at the right time because its annoying some times
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by Bblak(f): 2:57pm On Mar 07, 2008
@Topic
Quite Unnecessary
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by PurestBoy(m): 3:31pm On Mar 07, 2008
nightnurse:

In some eastern part of Nigeria, you must bury your dead-father in a very big way before you'll be allowed to talk, eat or drink in gatherings like meetings etc.

I know of this family(in the eastern part of this country), their dad died and because he was a titled man, they had to bury him 7 times (according to their tradition), 6 good cows and 1 goat were killed because the man had 6 males and 1 female child, so each child of his must do his/her own burial ceremony for their late father and it is mandatory, otherwise, they won't be allowed to partake in any thing the villagers were doing and none of the villagers will attend any of the family's functions (wedding,thankgiving etc).

I call it waste of money, its true they are rich and could all afford such expensive traditional whatever, but they should have used such a huge amount of money to help the poor and needy and damn the villagers with their fucking traditions.

I just wish people could do the right thing at the right time because its annoying some times

I don't think you are a nurse or is that just an ID? because I don't expect a good nurse to have time for this burial problems
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by rume(m): 5:18pm On Mar 07, 2008
Okay, use the money to treat the person when he/she is alive ehnn. (just  a thought)
What if the person is telling you, 'I want to 'go', OR if it's medically clear that the person is 'going' would you still treat and treat? 
Yes expensive funerals do waste money.
but We(those of us condenming it) do things that are very unneccesary and pick out those done by others as faults. The way we talk, dress, buy cars etc
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by vanariso(m): 5:37pm On Mar 07, 2008
I think a large percentage of the house is on one accord here.

From my perspective and for people of my faith,the question does not/should not and must never even arise.Its not for debate/creative criticism. My religion forbids it,its a law and everybody knows.WE DONT CELLEBRATE FUNERAL.
All u owe the dead man is a piece of clothe to cover his unclothedness, continous/continual prayers and almsgiving.
His soul is far away, anwering questions in regards his earthly deeds from the two angels , MUNKAR and NAKIR after a visit from the death angel , ASARA'EEL(asarailu as the Yorubas says).

What can only reach him now are prayers,almgiving in his regard and good deeds he has done on earth that people are constantly benefiting from.eg a functioning well/bore hole that people drinks from,a garden of fruit,library people still attend,worship places he built ,things of charity people still enjoys etc.

We were just discussing this late yesterday in my office after loging out(I never knew it will com up here now) and the reaction was just like in this house.

A typical example is the burial MKO Abiola and ABACHA.I wont be surprised if Adenuga(GLO) or say Egbenedion(OKADA) is buried otherwise when their time comes.
Salam-Peace
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by choco4life(m): 6:17pm On Mar 07, 2008
You guys remember the Nollywood movie title Died wretched buried in a 3million naira casket?
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by Keziah(f): 6:37pm On Mar 07, 2008
It's not just waste of money, but resources, time and energy!. Just imagine the money, time and space consumed in the name of burial ceremony in most cases.

Recently, my dad's mum died and i was told all family members, including extended family has to contribute for the grand burial ceremony. Imagine asking me to pay N20k and my younger siblings 15k. I was actually laughing my ass off when i was told, i just told them to add up everything and include it to my mum or dad's bill.

N20k my ass, for a burial ceremony, when the old woman didn't even know wether i am contributing a penny on her behalf.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by creamdream: 7:10pm On Mar 07, 2008
not at all
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by akara(m): 9:03pm On Mar 07, 2008
very unnecessary o. The deceased propably died of neglect by same people at the funeral party. abi
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by TOYOSI20(f): 9:12pm On Mar 07, 2008
@ Post

It depends on the deceased.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by naijadiva2(f): 10:00pm On Mar 07, 2008
akara:

very unnecessary o. The deceased propably died of neglect by same people at the funeral party. abi

probably true.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Translate This Yoruba Proverb To English / Interprete This Emojis Into Yoruba Proverbs / Asiri Agbara Lati Mu Ona Ola Si Kia Kia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.