Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,805 members, 7,827,961 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? (8059 Views)

Poll: Would you prefer to have an expensive funeral?

Yes: 6% (4 votes)
No: 93% (60 votes)
This poll has ended

Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? / Igbo Girls Are Expensive And Beautiful / Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by ly1: 7:47pm On Mar 24, 2008
Re:Are expensive funerals necessary
infact you people have said all but i must stress it.
it is stupid to the highest order.it makes one want to shade tears for the less privileged
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by initiate: 8:24am On Mar 27, 2008
burial is not only for the dead but for the living. relatives left behind have a right to celebrate the life of their dead anyway they want and it is not your right to judge them. it is just the same way parents celebrate the wedding or graduation of their children the way they want. inasmuch as they do not come to you to ask for money to do the burial then leave them to do it the way they want.

although the man is dead and gone, the family still decides to celebrate that he came into the world.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by lucabrasi(m): 3:53am On Mar 28, 2008
i think you v got it in one,plus its much more than just a funeral as its also depp seated cultural activity which actually brings long lost families together and i think its the essense of the traditional african family, what im against is people that cannot afford an elaborate funeral borrowing money and going to desperate lenghts to do so, of all the parties in nigeria its only my paternal grand mum and maternal grand pa s funerals that ill say was the party i had the most fun at even tho i was young then
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by nightnurse(f): 5:15pm On Apr 01, 2008
u cld celebrate them while they are still alive not when they are dead cos at death they are unaware of everything we do. celebrate their birthdays if need be, celebrating burial in an expensive way is wrong, its a sin cause u could use the money to help the needy among us.

If i may ask, how do you all think God our creator feels about our extravagant life style when we have alot of people to help?

I'm not judging anyone but trying to get us to do more reasonable things with our money rather than wasting it showing off to others, it makes no sense at all.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by lucabrasi(m): 6:13am On Apr 02, 2008
im guessing you r pointing at a sort of western way of doing things,but the real african child always honour elders and respect elders so they are always taken care of while alive,the expensive burial is not just to celebrate them in death but to celebrate a sort of retirement from this world, if you get a new job you celebrate and when u r retired you celebrate, same as when we come into this world we celebrate the new born,its the same thing celebrating the departed in most cases as well it gives the bereaved some sense of joy knowing people feel that way about the departed
helping the less priviledged is an individual thing and there are a lot of people who do not waste money and are good muslims and christians who however do not help the less well off and its not every one that has an elaborate n expensive burial thats showing off
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by origina9ja(f): 12:38pm On Jun 24, 2008
Absolute rubbish as far as i'm concern
when da person neva die no body recongnise amm when da person die
den go they waste money 4 crappy things sad very sad culture thing
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by Pandora2(f): 12:40pm On Jun 24, 2008
I think it has more to do with the celebration of the life of the person. . . depends on their age tho. . .

funerals are depressing, i usually dont hang around too long
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by oladayo042: 8:12pm On Jul 17, 2009
OWAMBE is common in the South-West
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by AndreUweh(m): 6:57pm On Sep 23, 2009
It is a sort of contest for some families. For the fact family B at their father's funeral killed ten cows, bought an expensive casket, hired an expensive live band, mounted 100 canopies, cooked 30 bags of rice, bought 1 lorry crate of beer etc. Family C would be itching to do the same thing. I know some men while alive have decreed that when they die they should be buried with such funfare. ITS UNCALLED FOR.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by agathamari(f): 2:39pm On Sep 26, 2009
i dont believe in funerals
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by favouredjb(f): 4:00pm On Apr 22, 2010
I agree that it can be a waste of resources,but if u have d money to give ur parents a befitting burial,then go ahead,
and dt is if u made sure they were comfy while alive though.

Sincerely i av a friend whose's grandmum just died, n believe me b4 her death,ppl have bin looking forward to d party
dt will happen after her burial(btw she's 99) smiley infact the plans are on now 4 d aso ebi to be distributed among frnds and family grin

its common among igbos and yorubas,esp we ijebus,der's always a burial every friday and sat!
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jul 28, 2012
Lmao @ this topic.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jul 29, 2012
No,but aleast a cute casket and some cute flowers. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Igbo Romance Dictionary / Translate This Yoruba Proverb To English / Asiri Agbara Lati Mu Ona Ola Si Kia Kia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.