Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,205 members, 7,818,701 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? (5466 Views)

Nature Of Funerals In Igboland. / Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? / Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by deluxecad(m): 12:21pm On Jan 12, 2010
Why do some people have to lavish a fortune burying their dead? They go ahead building new houses, refurbishing old ones, doing aso ebi and all the expensive stuff you can imagine. Some people go as far as selling properties just to give a 'befitting' burial as they would call it. What's the sense in it when the survivors live worse off after burying their deceased loved ones?

Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by asha80(m): 12:31pm On Jan 12, 2010
Answer=Madness

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by ifyalways(f): 12:40pm On Jan 12, 2010
Nigerians spend alot on funeral rites but that aint Nothing compared to Ghanaians.,Those guys actually loooooooooooooove funerals so much that they can skip weddings,birthdays etc for a funeral.lol
BTW,i think a thread like this already exits.
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by Wrex(m): 11:55am On Jan 13, 2010
asha 80:

Answer=Madness
I agree with you jare, this is one of the reasons nigeria is underdeveloped, we spend too much money on funerals,birthdays e.t.c angry angry angry
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by CarlosVent(m): 12:03pm On Jan 13, 2010
Especially we Igbo use Funeral as a way to Generate cool cash.
That's very bad cos when the person was alive no one helped him but the family can cough out more than 2 million for his or her burial.

What a shame to we IGBOs
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by badman(m): 12:04pm On Jan 13, 2010
just another opportunity to get everyone together, ceelebrate n have fun, mostly done when the dead is old tho
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by madamL(f): 12:12pm On Jan 13, 2010
I guess it is a way of letting off sorrow. It does not make sense to me though. Two minutes after the body is in the earth, you catch the folks who were rolling on the ground 30 seconds back drinking stout and scrambling for food.

The last time I witnessed a funeral of a very young woman and how merrily people ate later, I decided I must guard my life well and not allow anything kill me prematurely so yeye people won't come and feast for nothing. It was a shame how the sorrow quickly evaporated. Maybe it is good in its own way.
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by Kx: 12:13pm On Jan 13, 2010
CarlosVent:

What a shame to we IGBOs

Gani fawehimi was buried in gold casket,was Gani an Ibo man?
I wonder if we can ever present our views without being tribalistic.
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by londoner: 12:14pm On Jan 13, 2010
Its nothing compared to Ghanaians, its like an industry to them, lol
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by r231(m): 12:18pm On Jan 13, 2010
its very funny how most of these so called families don't even spend that much on the person when he/she was alive
but they come up with excusses like thats what the person wants or thats how the person wants to be buried
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by CarlosVent(m): 12:19pm On Jan 13, 2010
That's very bad cos when the person was alive no one helped him but the family can cough out more than 2 million for his or her burial.

What a shame to we IGBOs
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by Johnpaul2k2(m): 12:27pm On Jan 13, 2010
If there is hw i (personally) can tell people d implications of dis so called burial.imagine d people of the decease one wil expect u 2 buy a "cow" because of their custom n tradition,perhapz without minding whether d person has money 4 dat. Secondly, instead of d brothers n sisters to be supportive,they wil be busy seeking 4 their own share of wealth. Some even earn money from d bank,after which will affect d children later. I believe some suppose 2 learn their lesson from other experienced people. If one think that money is overflowing,took around u,there r som of ur family members whose biz might nt be working very well,give them maximum connection or better still invest more because money is declining because "govt transfer of money". I will leave everyone with dis question What if Cnn,Bcc,NTA witness my burial n comment on hw i spent money,still the same my brothers n sisters r suffering , , [color=][/color]
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by otukpo(f): 1:15pm On Jan 13, 2010
CarlosVent:

What a shame to we IGBOs

Which igbos? U no serious.
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by ud4u: 1:45pm On Jan 13, 2010
CarlosVent:

What a shame to we IGBOs

You better keep quiet if you don't know what to say. For the fact that your family or who ever you know buried somebody with 2 million or even borrowed does not mean is what the Igbo's does. Do you think very well before writting this trash.

There is somebody that I know that burried the mother with N110,000 and he told me he did everthing even in excess, infact in some places in Igbo land this said amount is even on the high side. People cut their cloths according to their cloth.

May I inform you also that in my place when somebody dies the church will buy the casket to burry the peron and equally entertain themselves, so what is there to spend and the burrial is for one day.
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by beknown(m): 2:05pm On Jan 13, 2010
@Poster,

The simple answer is madness.

There are many mad people on the street who behaves like normal human beings.

Why spend huge sum of money to bury someone who died of hunger?
Why spend huge sum of money to bury someone who could not afford to eat when alive?

Whatever people think, many more funerals will be funded tonight all over Nigeria.

It is like a status symbol for some people to have the best funeral.
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by flashgeek: 2:06pm On Jan 13, 2010
The answer is “show off” / Madness. Maybe you haven’t noticed but Nigerians love to show off and in a very ridiculous way for that matter.

What other people in developed countries don’t give a damn about , we Nigerians will show off with it and even worship it.

In developed countries worldwide , driving a nice car like a BMW  ,a Jaguar or a Range Rover is not a BIG DEAL. People simply walk into a car shop ,purchase the car and drive it home without making any noise to their friends ,but in Nigeria if a person buys a Tokunbo car from cotonou he will throw a party for his friends to celebrate the car. LOL

Even buying a new cellphone in Nigeria “calls” for a celebration. We too dey local for naija. We never soji at all ,we just soji for the wrong side. We are not mature mentally , we are still in the dark ages but we keep fooling ourselves believing that we are the smartest and happiest people on the planet. Nigeria is the only country I know of where streets are blocked in the name of a party.

I remember one dumb Naija boy here who was dating a mixed South African girl ,this guy was so local that he was telling his friends that he was dating an oyinbo girl just because the girl is mixed and has a very light skin. Talk of inferiority complex.

We need serious Koboko flogging to get our senses right!!
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by asha80(m): 2:16pm On Jan 13, 2010
flashgeek:

The answer is “show off” / Madness. Maybe you haven’t noticed but Nigerians love to show off and in a very ridiculous way for that matter.

What other people in developed countries don’t give a damn about , we Nigerians will show off with it and even worship it.

In developed countries worldwide , driving a nice car like a BMW ,a Jaguar or a Range Rover is not a BIG DEAL. People simply walk into a car shop ,purchase the car and drive it home without making any noise to their friends ,but in Nigeria if a person buys a Tokunbo car from cotonou he will throw a party for his friends to celebrate the car. LOL

Even buying a new cellphone in Nigeria “calls” for a celebration. We too dey local for naija. We never soji at all ,we just soji for the wrong side. We are not mature mentally , we are still in the dark ages but we keep fooling ourselves believing that we are the smartest and happiest people on the planet. Nigeria is the only country I know of where streets are blocked in the name of a party.

I remember one dumb Naija boy here who was dating a mixed South African girl ,this guy was so local that he was telling his friends that he was dating an oyinbo girl just because the girl is mixed and has a very light skin. Talk of inferiority complex.

We need serious Koboko flogging to get our senses right!!

Correct yarns!
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by deluxecad(m): 3:03pm On Jan 13, 2010
CarlosVent:

What a shame to we IGBOs

What do you mean? Have you ever attended a funeral in Rivers state?

You cant be serious jor.

Get ur facts right.
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by Mkpotu(m): 3:15pm On Jan 13, 2010
Carlosvent: Which part of the country are u from. Go out & see oda pple and what they equally spent. Not when u sit down here talking rubbish and be looking for who will support. Discuss topics and not tribes.
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by asha80(m): 3:16pm On Jan 13, 2010
deluxecad:

What do you mean? Have you ever attended a funeral in Rivers state?

You cant be serious jor.

Get your facts right.

Are you from rivers?
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by ddiamond(f): 3:55pm On Jan 13, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin grin

shocked madness for love ones shocked shocked

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by btlasisi(m): 4:02pm On Jan 13, 2010
I think it is high time we start celebrating the living and not the dead.

The best treatment that can be given to a dead person is to berry him or her.

How does dead stand to benefit from all the noises, drinking and wastefull spending. May be thesame people spending their life savings on funeral did not even bother to know how the dead was fearing while alive.

The best befitting burial we can give to our relations is to show them love and take very good care of them while they are still alive so that they can reap the benefit on this earth and not when are gone.
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by mendax: 5:10pm On Jan 13, 2010
@poster, mayb if they had gathered the money they are spendin on the funeral while the corpse was still sick in the hospital, they could hav saved his life!

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by koolchicco: 5:21pm On Jan 13, 2010
Ignorance! sad
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by Coretalk(m): 7:33pm On Jan 13, 2010
to tell the truth dis puzzles every time i go 2 a funeral but i tink it's the culture. Not until i travel out of Nigeria till see that it's a mad thing
But what can you do though? for me, i wuld never break a bank for any funeral
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by N101: 8:28pm On Jan 13, 2010
mendax:

@poster, mayb if they had gathered the money they are spendin on the funeral while the corpse was still sick in the hospital, they could hav saved his life!

True word, I can't think of a greater insult.

There was a situation recently where the mother was ill, it was only when she became unconscious that the younger sister found out her elder sister (who the mother lived with) hadn't done anything and rushed the mother to hospital.  Unfortunately she died not long after admission.

The younger sister wanted the funeral rites over and done with soonest, nothing flashy but significant enough for their mother.  However the rest of the family, who couldn't be bothered when the mother was ill had their way, a big lavish funeral.  I think it pained her more than anything else that the money wasn't spent keeping their mother alive was suddenly found for this extravagant gesture.

I'm sure this scenario is repeated around Nigeria.
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by AndreUweh(m): 11:10pm On Jan 13, 2010
POSTER: It seems you are a copycat. Do you not know that this sort of thread is in existence here.
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by mamagee3(f): 12:47am On Jan 14, 2010
It's only nigerians that waste their money on funerals
instead of using it to train their living children
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by Tcrack(m): 1:07am On Jan 14, 2010
the truth is the some o f those people they spend so much burying may not have died if that money they are spending on the burial were spent on them when the were alive. Shior
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by SwtzMinx(f): 2:14am On Jan 14, 2010
.i have been wondering about it too. . .i guess its the culture, but i don't really lyk it. Its IGNORANCE!
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by beninman1(m): 10:12am On Jan 14, 2010
Not a problem to be lavish in a funeral but on one condition:
You did everything possible to give the deceased a lavish lifestyle when he/she was alive.
If not, then clearly it is the height of foolery and wastefulness.

I recall a particular episode in Benin City, Nigeria about 20 yrs ago.
The decseased was ignored by his children when he was alive. They never bothered to renovate his house or even provide him with aircondition. But alas, when he died, the so called children suddenly elected to 'tuuch up' the yard and guess one; fitted an a/c unit in the living room for lying in state.
Of course, they got all the 'bullets' and curses from well wishers who knew the family.
Some asked; how can your father enjoy this a/c or sudden luxury when he is dead.

It is fair to conclude that some of all this rubbish spending is done as a show off
Re: Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jan 14, 2010
locking the gate after the horse has fled the barn is nothing new in Nigeria.

This money spent on extravagant funerals could be better utilized in building a hospital or providing some other basic service to the community, imo.

Anyone who dies after age 90 should be commemorated by the family getting together, building a hospital, school or donating a transformer or something to his/her community, imo.

Not just everybody eating food, buying clothes, then heading back home to drink the usual gari as if nothing even happened.

If you must spend a fortune on funerals, why not use use the money in ways that are more permanent.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Ghana In All Spheres: ! / Thread For Yoruba Herbs And Plants / What Is The Meaning Of "August Meeting".

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.