Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,964 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

Please Read And Talk To A Sista,its Urgent - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Please Read And Talk To A Sista,its Urgent (2203 Views)

Mouth Swab As A Method Of Testing For DNA ( Pls Its Urgent ) / Stammering Is Killing Me - I Can't Even Talk To A Woman - Please Advice / Pls Help, Is There Any Cure Or Precautions For Asthma Cough, Pls, Its Urgent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Read And Talk To A Sista,its Urgent by steaming(f): 10:18am On Mar 05, 2008
Hello peeps, please i have a problem and would appreciate responses on this.

One time while in school, i had a toilet infection, i went for a test and it was confirmed to be candidiasis, it was treated and it left. On another occasion, after school when i had to use public toilets, i got an infection again and treated it. Since then i aviod public toilets. I don' sit on toilet bowls due to my boarding house training in secondary school not even in my house except my personal toilet.

Recently, i had to use a toilet at the office(just to pee), when there was no water and later i noticed some very litte itch. I ignored it cos it was quite minor till i started noticing a little whitish discharge.

Now the problem, i went for a test this morning, had been asked earlier to get my early morning urine which i brought. The attendant asked me to lie for the test, i laid and he put one slim thing in and took sample of the discharge. Then he brought one very scary metal object with clips and screw at the end and said it was for the cervic test. i asked if he was going to put the heavy metal in and he said yes, it was the most effective way to do the test and that even guys use it. i asked if there was no smaller one and he said no, that this is the smallest and that was why he asked if i had done a D&C (before to which i said no), so he would know the size to use.

I said i wasn't going to do it, there was no way that thing could go in there without causing some harmful effects. He tried persuading that others do it but i couldn't trust him. He said i only needed enough stimulation and i wouldn't feel it. I was wondering if he would have to stimulate me or what? but i was just too confused to ask. I told him to use the urine sample and the other sample first while i prepare myself for the other, which he called ENDO-CERVICAL SWAP CULTURE & SENSITIVITY (ECSCS).

Please i want to know if anybody has heard of ECSCS or how it is carried out. I really think there should be another way, please talk to me. I need help. Thanks
Re: Please Read And Talk To A Sista,its Urgent by slavia(m): 11:03am On Mar 05, 2008
Streaming,

it is a pity, mind you there is nothing to be ashamed of, its just not your fault that your body happens to be extra sensitive (trust me it has its advantages)

i think maybe you should look up this link below, so that the next time you meet that medical attendant of yours. you would decide what you want and how you want it

http://aactg.s-3.com/pub/download/labmanual/16-ALM-Female-Genital-Secretions-Collection-Processing.pdf

Good luck and keep your head up
Re: Please Read And Talk To A Sista,its Urgent by steaming(f): 1:05pm On Mar 05, 2008
Thanks Slavia, i'll sure look it up immediately. i appreciate
Re: Please Read And Talk To A Sista,its Urgent by naijaking1: 3:47pm On Mar 05, 2008
@Poster
I wonder why you need ECSCS for an itchy perinial area?

Even if you do need the test, a qualified MD should be the one collecting the specimen, because if you're still a vagin, the MD would most likely know how to manage the situation.

A lab. technologist/scientist (I used to be one, b/4 going to medical school) is just not qualified to perform bi-manual and pelvic exam if you have an MD who is versed in the anatomy and possible abnormalities of the area. Techs do this procedure, because patients refuse to go see a doctor, or the doctors are too busy to do their jobs.

I know, many naija techs. rush to examine women's vaginal areas---especially if the they're good looking. A woman should open her legs only once, and that should at her doctor's office, where the doctor can collect needed samples for lab. and pathology, and then start treatment as appropriate.

I have seen a woman severely injured by a tech. who did not know how to use a vaginal speculum.

Bye the way, diflucan cream or tablets is all you need for candida, you mosy likely picked it from dirty and wet underwear, not from the toilet.

If you have no other problems, it may not be a good reason for vaginal speculum exam, even urine exam is questionable.
Re: Please Read And Talk To A Sista,its Urgent by steaming(f): 4:02pm On Mar 05, 2008
Thanks naijaking for the talk, appreciate it alot. Guess i should wait for the result which he said i should come for in three days before taking any drugs yet and maybe see a doctor if the need arises.

I insist and quote me that it is a toilet infection. I don't wear dirty or wet undies, i dont even wear G strings, i am very particular about what happens down there.

I always rush into d house almost everytime pressed cos i avoid using toilets anyhow. The day i used the toilet, i thought of the itch but was just too pressed to wait and it came 2 days after, though mildly.

All the same, thanks. Still appreciate.
Re: Please Read And Talk To A Sista,its Urgent by naijaking1: 4:43pm On Mar 05, 2008
Hormonal changes in your body, the acidity of the vagina, and the types of organisms present could set the stage for candida--- which is not a big deal medically, but it's good that you have it clean and dry.
Re: Please Read And Talk To A Sista,its Urgent by idupaul: 4:52pm On Mar 05, 2008
It was a good thing you did nt allow that lab assistant stimulate u or fix anything there, All these hospital hands in nigeria do gory and obscene things to women all in the name of collecting sample. As u have been advised allow only your DR carry out any examination on ur genitals and no one else.
Re: Please Read And Talk To A Sista,its Urgent by amsky(m): 5:01pm On Mar 05, 2008
Steaming. Sorry my dear for your experience. I had that experience once. I was a virgin then,so you can imagine the fright. I ran away.

Naijaking has said it all. I work in a hospital,and i have seen ladies in such situations. The technician has no business going near your privates at all. Wasn't there a doctor on duty?

Be careful where you go for medical attention okay. kiss
Re: Please Read And Talk To A Sista,its Urgent by steaming(f): 6:06pm On Mar 06, 2008
Amsky, Idupaul,Naijaking, Slavia, i really appreciate the concern and advice. Thanks so so much, was really worried but thanks to you.

i have learnt to allow only my doctor examine me and thank God i didn't allow him do it cause he was really sounding very convincing, brought thier register and was showing mi names of others who have done it. All the same, i thannk you guys and grateful to God also.

Will be going for the result tomorrow, fill you guys in and hopefully, see my doctor.

Sincerely grateful and thankful.
Re: Please Read And Talk To A Sista,its Urgent by fsb(m): 10:23pm On Mar 07, 2008
Hello steaming,

Thanks to all the people in the house but for one, you shouldn't just allow any doctor perform a pelvic exam (sorry, but I don't have faith in GPs) except a consultant OBGYN. They may bill considerably higher but what is cost when it comes to health?

The lab tech doing a pelvic exam was a horrible idea however, his thinking may not have been wrong. You really didn't say much about the v. discharge except that it was whitish, was it offensive? By the way, the instrument he tried using was a speculum, probably Graves' (it's one of those instruments used to do a pelvic exam - there are others also. Some come as disposable plastic, others as metal, sterilized b4 use).

In anycase, do see your doc. and hope you get great results.

Regards,
fsb
Re: Please Read And Talk To A Sista,its Urgent by reindeer: 11:37pm On Mar 07, 2008
Well sista, you see there more of the ironies of the nija health sector, a techie? i mean we should spread the message that people should know their limits in medical practice but in nigeria everyone wants to act like the doctor and yet they keep saying doctors have 'unduely high' salaries, the irony of this is that all those antagonising doctors still work hard at getting their wards into medical schools, anyways concerning what i feel is just a stubborn case of vulvovaginal candidiasis, ive noticed it to be more common in pants wearing female execs who work wearing tight fitting undies for long hours everyday,
try dressing in freer garments and yes!avoid antibiotic abuse, ive also noticed this as a common predisposing factor to this infection.
please go see your doctor and be sure to report any abuse(s) to him/her
take care.
the deer.
Re: Please Read And Talk To A Sista,its Urgent by spoilt(f): 2:46am On Mar 08, 2008
Did the guy really tell you that you needed stimulation to get the instrument in ? shocked shocked shocked How was he going to stimulate you? Seriously ? No seriously?! A perv in a labcoat. angry
I have this thing about male doctors. Its a bias for which i am not really sorry. I had a bad experience with a male doctor one time. he was so horribly inept that i realized that men know nothing about women's bodies expect what they read in books. Have they menstruated? Do they have vaginas? grin . Can they see you naked and vulnerable and be professional. Its unfortunate but by the time you realize that he is a pervert or doesnt know what he's doing , you will already be flat on your back with legs wide open and in a bad situation. undecided
Its good you didnt let him do his thing. didnt sound like he knew what he was doing. so if you had had a D & C before then he would just jab in the biggest size as if you had lost all sensitivity down there? Please!
I insist on women doctors. They complete my sentences and give a name to the feelings that im trying to describe. My OBGYN is so good. Dang she's good and its because she has a vagina. WORD! She knows not to just jab or poke and make crude senseless statements. if you are nervous or unsure always go to a doctor you can trust. It is important.
That being said, what you describe is probably not anything you caught from a toilet. Probably some hormonal imbalance or something that any over the counter cream will cure. See a real doctor.
Re: Please Read And Talk To A Sista,its Urgent by steaming(f): 1:01pm On Mar 12, 2008
Cant say thanks enough to every poster here, sincerely grateful for the concern, God bless.@ Spoilt, reindeer, fsb, amsky, idupaul, naijaking, slavia. I have really learnt enough plenty, so grateful. I got the result and like i said, would get back to the thread to let us know. Nothing was found in the urine. Below is the HVS Mlds Result

Micro: Pus Cells: 1-2phf

Epith Cells: +

Yeast Cells: Numerous

Culture: Yielded heavy growth of Candida Albican after 24 hr incubation

He said i should take it to a Pharmacist for medications. Thanks y'all.
Re: Please Read And Talk To A Sista,its Urgent by reindeer: 1:17am On Mar 28, 2008
Candidiasis! cool, you'll be out of the prob in no time, quite easily treated. Just try and take measures to avoid recurrence, avoid antiboitic abuse, wear freer garments, avoid contacting STI's and of course i know you wont be sharing underwears! smiley

(1) (Reply)

Doctors In The House Need Your Advice/insight / . / Do Naija Herbs Actually Work When Smashing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.