Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,851 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition (7427 Views)

Warning: (disgusting Photo) Chinese Woman Grows Gigantic Horn In Middle of Head / Chinese Woman Grows Horn On Head / Shocking: Woman Grows Fingernails On Her Head!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by TeenageMoney(m): 10:06am On Jan 29, 2013
Follow @don4mula

A 28-year-old criminal justice student, Shanya A. Isom has a rare skin condition which makes her to grow human nails instead of hair on her skin.

It all started back in 2009 when she had an asthma attack and she was treated with steroids but had an allergic reaction which made her develop bumps on her legs and skin. Later on, her skin started to darken according to New York Daily News reports.

Close up on Isom’s body which grows nails instead of hair.

Speaking about her condition, Shanya said, “They’ve tested me from A to Z, and everything was coming back negative,” Isom told WAFB.

She was later admitted to John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore in August 2011 in a bid for doctors todetermine the cause of her condition.

They later found out that her hair follicles were producing 12 times as many skin cells as hair cells which meant that her hair follicles were producing nails, instead of hair.

“I couldn’t sit up, I couldn’t walk,” she told WAFB. “Now I can walk with a cane and sometimes I can walk on my own.” With the rare case, Isom is running low on funds as her medical bills have already reached $250,000 according to the Daily Mail.

Isom, who says she is the only person in the world with her condition, has set up the S.A.I.

Foundation to raise money to cover her bills and help others who may develop similar symptoms. “If [my condition] means me dealing with this to help someone else, I’m willing to go through it,” she said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/09/shanya-isom-grows-nails-head-hair_n_1760293.html
http://www.thegistbook.com/28-year-old-woman-grows-nails-instead-of-hair/
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by eriegua83: 10:34am On Jan 29, 2013
Wonders shall never end
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by BedLam: 10:37am On Jan 29, 2013
crazy world!
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by tjskii(f): 2:38pm On Jan 29, 2013
Hian o,nails growing instead of hair kwa,endtimes cheesy
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by Obiora4life: 2:49pm On Jan 29, 2013
Nails kwa?

Chineke melu anyi ebele
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jan 29, 2013
END TIME SIGNS! END TIME SIGNS!!
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by blackmale(m): 2:50pm On Jan 29, 2013
where is d nails?.....can see it o, may be i need my glasses...
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by bcomputer101: 2:50pm On Jan 29, 2013
☺kα̲̅y, bring her to T.B Joshua where she can experience Liberty
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by executinal(m): 2:50pm On Jan 29, 2013
But me no see nail na. Na only rashes i see
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by bunmioguns(m): 2:52pm On Jan 29, 2013
Blame it on GEJ cheesy cheesy
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by DJDOLA(m): 2:52pm On Jan 29, 2013
EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by uzeba(m): 2:55pm On Jan 29, 2013
If i see other people problem's, i will say Baba i worship u!!

2 Likes

Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by bory09(m): 2:56pm On Jan 29, 2013
This sound weird. She need strong prayer and fasting. Who did she offend that make her warrant this purnishment.
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by greatgod2012(f): 2:57pm On Jan 29, 2013
I think it'll be as a result of some hormonal imbalance.......wishing her quick recvery.
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by Sweetapple007(f): 3:00pm On Jan 29, 2013
May God deliver her.
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jan 29, 2013
Oh mehn,this is creepy...and to all my bleaching/toning ladies, mercury in those creams can do worse than this to ur skin.
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 29, 2013
Hope she doesn't grow nails in her pusy cuz that would be disastrous. lipsrsealed cry

1 Like

Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by Obiora4life: 3:07pm On Jan 29, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Hope she doesn't grow nails in her pusy cuz that would be disastrous. lipsrsealed cry

Have you seen the movie teeth? Go and watch it...Nails are better than that... embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by Omen100(m): 3:08pm On Jan 29, 2013
signs of that thing wink wink wink wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by Gboliwe: 3:08pm On Jan 29, 2013
uzeba: If i see other people problem's, i will say Baba i worship u!!
me too!
Father I thank you for me
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by apiki: 3:14pm On Jan 29, 2013
Sickness way pass Hiv/AIDS plenty o. May God help her to recover fast.
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by Libkid(m): 3:23pm On Jan 29, 2013
Signs of d new evolution according to d mayans.lolz
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by topmostg: 3:26pm On Jan 29, 2013
ocman: END TIME SIGNS! END TIME SIGNS!!

GBAM!

Løbatan!
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jan 29, 2013
Screaming 'end times' at every unusual news only shows how ignorant you are...
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by topmostg: 3:28pm On Jan 29, 2013
~Bluetooth:

lmao,
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by strangest(m): 3:33pm On Jan 29, 2013
End Time grin
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by Dtwoabbey(m): 3:40pm On Jan 29, 2013
Whether you like it or not, the sign says that Jesus is coming soon. Pls prepare your way to suit the taste of being counted worthy. Baba, ka mi ye o,
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by Truckpusher(m): 3:45pm On Jan 29, 2013
Metamorphosis of human race is imminent.....aliens would soon take over the world... Prophet OBADIAH777 prophesies are coiming true... grin grin grin
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by tmd01: 3:50pm On Jan 29, 2013
White man disease!!! Always coming in a big way. Thank God for Nigeria
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by linjok(f): 3:55pm On Jan 29, 2013
She better start running to church of all nation....T. B Joshua.
Re: Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition by Finland(m): 3:57pm On Jan 29, 2013
tmd01: White man disease!!! Always coming in a big way. Thank God for Nigeria
Can't you make a comment without being racial? SMH

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? / Pastor Adeboye Builds N100m Cancer Screening And Prevention Center / Newly Diagnosed HIV Positive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.