Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,077 members, 7,818,224 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

Security Situation In Lagos As At Date - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Security Situation In Lagos As At Date (11587 Views)

How Is The Light Situation In Your Area / APC Loses Six Rep Seats In Lagos As Igbo Political Clout Grows. / Shoot Out At Jakande Lekki Lagos As Political Thugs Clash (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by ifeteminikan: 11:38am On Jan 29, 2013
What do you think of security in Lagos recently?.

Almost everybody around me has witness one form of robbery or the other and i begin to wonder if the Government is aware and what they are doing about it.

1) My car was stolen around 9pm at gun-point in front of the house.
2) A member was recently robbed at gun-point infront of Shoprite at ikeja while in traffic
3) My brother's friends were robbed in front of their house @ gun-point too.
4) Two Family friends that just arrived from overseas last discovered that their bags had been torn and some items were missing at the airport.
5)A friend's husband was rough-handled on his street by two guys that wanted to snatch is wrist-watch.

I think most of this crimes are committed by the jobless youths that roam the streets as a result of the ban of okada, traffic hawkers etc in lagos now.

Government needs to create something for this guys to fall back on else the masses will continue to pay dearly for it.

Lets hear your experiences and what can be done to curtail this.

1 Like

Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by Ikengawo: 2:12pm On Jan 29, 2013
Banning of okadas and trying to formalize the economy is one of the key sources of the troubles with crime in the east. Lagos has never been a place one can rate as safe, but expect a spike in crime because it will start with jobless youths and move on to anyone that wants to be en vogue.
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by Gooogle(m): 2:43pm On Jan 29, 2013
ifeteminikan:

Almost everybody around me has witness one form of robbery or the other and i begin to wonder if the Government is aware and what they are doing about it.

2) A member was recently robbed at gun-point infront of Shoprite at ikeja while in traffic
4) Two Family friends that just arrived from overseas last discovered that their bags had been torn and some items were missing at the airport.
5)A friend's husband was rough-handled on his street by two guys that wanted to snatch is wrist-watch.

I think most of this crimes are committed by the jobless youths that roam the streets as a result of the ban of okada, traffic hawkers etc in lagos now.

Government needs to create something for this guys to fall back on else the masses will continue to pay dearly for it.

Who be this sef, make we hear word.
All these issues only you? You need to visit a church,they need to baff u for river with candles.

11 Likes

Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by Kx: 2:45pm On Jan 29, 2013
Gooogle:

Who be this sef, make we hear word.
All these issues only you? You need to visit a church,they need to baff u for river with candles.

Truth they say is bitter.
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by OnlyRebel: 3:21pm On Jan 29, 2013
Held today at gunpoint by 2 guys on okada. Bad experience brothers.
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by ebamma(m): 3:39pm On Jan 29, 2013
Armed robbers like businessmen are just trying to make a living,am an armed robber in stay in ajegunle im the one that snatched that your car am about to sell it to one alhaji here in surulere,dont bother looking for me or the car u hear,
Thanks for your cooperation in advance
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by Orikinla(m): 3:40pm On Jan 29, 2013
ifeteminikan:

With anarchy in the north and kidnappers on the prowl in the east and south-south, many of these lunatic fringe will also move into Lagos where they are sure of bigger targets.
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by imperiouxx(m): 3:41pm On Jan 29, 2013
ifeteminikan:

Hope you don't mind if I ask.....Are you guys the only one in Lagos? Did you all went to hometown during December festive period to flaunt wealth? Abeeeg, this is doesn't concern government but good pastor(s) for serious deliverance for all of you.
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by occam(m): 3:41pm On Jan 29, 2013
ifeteminikan:

That's the work of "port rats" I had same experience last year and didn't notice anything until the next day
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by eagleeye2: 3:45pm On Jan 29, 2013
I heard on sunday that a family friend of my sister was kidnapped.
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by Omen100(m): 3:46pm On Jan 29, 2013
ifeteminikan:

topic should have named "security situation in Nigeria as at date".................................

Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jan 29, 2013
An hungry man is an angry man. The spate of robbery escalated with the banning of okada,and other policy of Lagos state.
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by surveyProf(m): 3:50pm On Jan 29, 2013
ebamma: Armed robbers like businessmen are just trying to make a living,am an armed robber in stay in ajegunle im the one that snatched that your car am about to sell it to one alhaji here in surulere,dont bother looking for me or the car u hear,

Is this a joke or something? U hv to be very careful of wat u say online man!
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by 9icest: 3:52pm On Jan 29, 2013
Well, the SW is still one of the safest region in the country. No BK. The kidnappers are not having a field day over here...and it seem as if 50% of the Nigerian police are concentrated on the state alone. The other time I checked at the commissioner for police office, I learn they just included anti-terrorism, and anti-kidnapping units. These crimes you are talking about are been committed by non-Lagosians. Too many eyes watching you, little or no privacy, and too many haters who'd happily kill your hustle if its illegal. Eko Oni Baje!

3 Likes

Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by stagger: 3:52pm On Jan 29, 2013
ebamma: Armed robbers like businessmen are just trying to make a living,am an armed robber in stay in ajegunle im the one that snatched that your car am about to sell it to one alhaji here in surulere,dont bother looking for me or the car u hear,

Try this in the US and Homeland Security will be at your door in hours. Creep!

2 Likes

Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by brownlord: 3:56pm On Jan 29, 2013
ifeteminikan:

na from village them follow una come, i for refer you and your family to one pastor, but this one don pass human power, just chill small Jesus Christ go soon come na only em fit handle this una family planning oh sorry problem
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by Scarpon(m): 3:57pm On Jan 29, 2013
I still dey remember that sidebord wey say this is Lagos
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by hayoakins(m): 3:57pm On Jan 29, 2013
that's the reward of not providing jobs instead clearing the road off graduates whose only source of livelihood is biking(Okada). That is not a justification for robbery though.
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by coldgate(f): 3:58pm On Jan 29, 2013
lipsrsealed[img][/img]@Poster: U have made very valid statements. The security situation is indeed worsening daily. However, as you will no doubt observe from responses on this page, People here are suffering from myopia and respond better to posts with references to Nollywood Actresses and their infamous lifestyles.
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by coldgate(f): 4:01pm On Jan 29, 2013
grin grin grin grin[color=#990000][/color]I still dey remember that sidebord wey say this is Lagos

Sidebord ni, sidebord ko wink
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by truth4meal(m): 4:04pm On Jan 29, 2013
This would have been an occasion where Lagosian can candidly appraise the security situation of the state except that - aside from the Topic the body of this thread is a sly attempt at ridicule. Having said that i will want to say this and people who live in Lagos before the present era of AD, ACN democracy should bear me witness - the security of Lagos has tremendously improved. There is certainly to crime free city, state or country in the world so one should not but expect unfortunate incidents like the one the op said befell him. But in all i think Lagos is safer than most states in Country.

1 Like

Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by ochukoccna: 4:05pm On Jan 29, 2013
ifeteminikan:

I think the poster has an ulterior motive in posting this seeing he/she has narrowed down the 'rise in crime' to the other ban as if only Lagos state banned okadas
Even before the okada ban,cars were robbed at gunpoint in traffic
Since as long as I can recall,luggage/their contents are stolen at the airport.Anyone who regularly reads Sam Omatseye's column in the Nation newspaper will recall him some weeks back saying his luggage was stolen when he got back to Nigeria
Was this luggage 'hit' organized by jobless former okada riders?
Her husband's friend was robbed on his street...where?
What is the crime history of the area?
Did she report her car theft to the police?
Any updates?
In case she knows not,LASG is not in charge of the armed forces (read police even though tge Army supports them) but the IG
All they do is support the under (make that poorly) funded,poorly trained&overwhelmed 9ja men in black
I agree there's so much more room for improvement both LASG& the police can do
Yet for now,Lagos is one of the 'safest' places in Nigeria
Stop taking pot shots at LASG

2 Likes

Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by yuzedo: 4:09pm On Jan 29, 2013
Move to Banana Island... They don't rob us there! cool
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by Krucifax(m): 4:09pm On Jan 29, 2013
Orikinla:

With anarchy in the north and kidnappers on the prowl in the east and south-south, many of these lunatic fringe will also move into Lagos where they are sure of bigger targets.

So Mr Wiseguy how do you know these robbers are not Lagos State Indigenes born and bred? Or is every crime caused by people that came into Lagos?
Just a question!
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by ba7man(m): 4:11pm On Jan 29, 2013
I live in Lagos nd i haven't been a victim of crime in well over a decade. I don't carry cash conspicuously, I lock my car's door whenever I'm driving and avoid lookin at people trying to get my attention, I avoid walking around at night, I avoid talkin bout what i hav to strangers or in strange places and by God's grace, I'v been safe. @Op. Crime happens all over the world so stop making it seem like its an epidemic in Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by Vansnickers: 4:11pm On Jan 29, 2013

Next time, think before you TYPE!!!
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by 9icest: 4:13pm On Jan 29, 2013
ba7man: I live in Lagos nd i haven't been a victim of crime in well over a decade. I don't carry cash conspicuously, I lock my car's door whenever I'm driving and avoid lookin at people trying to get my attention, I avoid walking around at night, I avoid talkin bout what i hav to strangers or in strange places and by God's grace, I'v been safe. @Op. Crime happens all over the world so stop making it seem like its an epidemic in Lagos.

God bless you bro
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by Omexonomy: 4:13pm On Jan 29, 2013
hayoakins: that's the reward of not providing jobs instead clearing the road off graduates whose only source of livelihood is biking(Okada). That is not a justification for robbery though.
truth is always bitter. But why is it tha t whenever such issue comes up peole will want to shot it down.
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by Omexonomy: 4:22pm On Jan 29, 2013
truth4meal: This would have been an occasion where Lagosian can candidly appraise the security situation of the state except that - aside from the Topic the body of this thread is a sly attempt at ridicule. Having said that i will want to say this and people who live in Lagos before the present era of AD, ACN democracy should bear me witness - the security of Lagos has tremendously improved. There is certainly to crime free city, state or country in the world so one should not but expect unfortunate incidents like the one the op said befell him. But in all i think Lagos is safer than most states in Country.
BIG FAT LIE FROM ACN MINIONS. The fact that you can provide security for ur self does not mean that every body can. Having said that, truth is always bitter. But why is it tha t whenever such issue comes up peole like you will want to shot it down.
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by Omexonomy: 4:27pm On Jan 29, 2013
9icest: Well, the SW is still one of the safest region in the country. No BK. The kidnappers are not having a field day over here...and it seem as if 50% of the Nigerian police are concentrated on the state alone. The other time I checked at the commissioner for police office, I learn they just included anti-terrorism, and anti-kidnapping units. These crimes you are talking about are been committed by non-Lagosians. Too many eyes watching you, little or no privacy, and too many haters who'd happily kill your hustle if its illegal. Eko Oni Baje!
BIG FAT LIE FROM ACN MINIONS. The fact that you can provide security for ur self does not mean that every body can. Having said that, truth is always bitter. But why is it tha t whenever such issue comes up peole like you will want to shot it down.
Re: Security Situation In Lagos As At Date by 9icest: 4:30pm On Jan 29, 2013
Omexonomy: So, it is the ACN that banned Okada in Delta, Abuja, And other Eastern States? Do you have a brain at all? Why this unbelievable level of hatred for anything positive happening in the SW?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Release El-zakzaky, Shehu Sani Advises Buhari / Ugwuanyi: Redefining Governance At 56 / Fuel Scarcity: Private Depots Hike Rates, Filling Stations May Sell Above ₦180

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.