Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,758 members, 7,809,920 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day (9467 Views)

Cyril Stober Of Nta Retires From Service At Nta, Today / NNPC Retires 1000 Staff / Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jan 30, 2013
On Jan. 31, Deborah Ford will retire from the U.S. Postal Service after 44 years without using any of her sick days.

Though her colleagues and the local media, including the Detroit Free Press, applaud her level of commitment, Ford, 64, doesn't see what the big deal is.

Born and raised in Detroit, Ford will be retiring from her job in payroll and timekeeping management for the city's main post office.

"I was trying to do the best I could, and that just evolved into working all my scheduled days," Ford said.

Ford said when she was sick, she would simply "shake it off." For appointments, say, with the doctor, she would use vacation days.

"It's going to be tough to replace her - not only her attendance but her knowledge of the years she has done timekeeping," said Tony Carnagie, a financial programs compliance manager, who has worked with Ford for more than 15 years.

Most of Ford's co-workers knew about her track record, when the USPS awarded her for 30 years of service.

Ford said her father, who is 86 years old and never took a sick days in 30 years, also doesn't see what the fuss is about.

"It's just part of our work ethic," she said.

Ford said she is looking forward to retirement but doesn't have any specific plans, besides spending more time with her father.

"I'll rest up and see where life takes me. Do some volunteer work, take some enrichment classes - the usual stuff," she said.

For now, she is training someone to do her job, which she says, she won't particularly miss.

"You don't miss the brick and mortar," she said. "I'll miss the people, the lives you touched and the lives that touched your life."

Not taking a sick day won't be for naught.

Ford has a sick-leave balance of 4,508 hours, which will allow her a 5 percent increase in her pension.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/postal-worker-retires-44-years-without-sick-day-204326090--abc-news-savings-and-investment.html

3 Likes

Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by Kokofi(m): 1:46pm On Feb 08, 2013
I believ Deborah Ford is not only committed but also very disciplined in her work style, & that's why she strives to be @her work station whenevr duty calls. I tink she liked wat she's doin and that's why she nevr wanted to miss working at any paticular time. I also had d same trait in me; i met d target in 2011 but i couldn't beat the target last year as flood almost washed away my house. I lov what i do & dats because d stress brings out d best in me. But kudoz to d lady... She's a true gem

6 Likes

Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by ifihearam: 4:50pm On Feb 08, 2013
Some people like work sha
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by brownlord: 4:54pm On Feb 08, 2013
i be think say na shoulder them dey put govt. work? anyway she still be learner, make she gather mind fly come niger, come visit our post office, or Nigeria Railway....abi make she try visit our public school her life will never remain the same
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by Soskid(m): 4:54pm On Feb 08, 2013
Workometer

3 Likes

Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by TeeSeven(m): 4:56pm On Feb 08, 2013
From her dad's track record too, I can see some strong genes at work here, couple with a high sense of duty.
Our 9ja peeps need to learn something here.
Congrats to you Ford.
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by Humanbeans(m): 4:57pm On Feb 08, 2013
44 years in a paid employment!!!. Its unimaginable that someone will spend that amount of years serving a company,, when is she going to have fun, and adventure, its really sad. But still she has been a faithful servant, Enjoy your retirement,madam
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by Nightshift(m): 4:59pm On Feb 08, 2013
She rendered full service to her country . Being patriotic till the last day at work , fulfilling Jefferson's request ....
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by saintandsinnerz: 5:01pm On Feb 08, 2013
Industrious woman from an industrious country wishing if this bunch of indolent civil civil servants from our shores can borrow a leaf from her! Enjoy your retirement dear
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by SlyIg(f): 5:01pm On Feb 08, 2013
Dem d get alomo bitter dia?
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by vizboy(m): 5:01pm On Feb 08, 2013
na wa oh try am for naija na
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by 2legit2qwt: 5:02pm On Feb 08, 2013
Times when people take sick time off for common cold/flu, co-workers even ask them to leave for fear of contacting sore throat, as in soreness of the throat grin grin

That's definitely commendable smiley
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by pekelepekele(m): 5:06pm On Feb 08, 2013
That can't happen in Nigeria where most people are faking illness to flex themselves and another thing is that the company she is working for is probably doing well and not owing her if not it is not possible
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by Abujafood: 5:07pm On Feb 08, 2013
I knew some how that this person wouldn't be a Nigerian. Not generalizing but Nigerian Civil Servants love sick days whether they're sick or not!

Back to topic, this is a record worth emulating! Happy retirement madam!
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by manny4life(m): 5:11pm On Feb 08, 2013
Nice, what a dedicated worker.

Me sef, I've been on the job for four years and counting and hadn't used one day of sick leave... grin grin grin
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by emilyone(f): 5:14pm On Feb 08, 2013
those are dedicated workers, not the type you find here who would purpose apply for maternity leave almost every year
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by pharuk: 5:14pm On Feb 08, 2013
44 YEARS!! shocked shocked
God4bid Govt work for that long

Glad am Nigerian, the entrepreneur spirit in me won’t let that happen

1 Like

Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by Asis(m): 5:14pm On Feb 08, 2013
SlyIg: Dem d get alomo bitter dia?
lolz
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by Chinwem(f): 5:15pm On Feb 08, 2013
Whatsoever your hands find to do, do it with all your might
For there in is no work, or device, or knowledge, or wisdom in the grave where we goeth

Ecclesiastes 9:10

1 Like

Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by Sweetapple007(f): 5:15pm On Feb 08, 2013
Workaholic, congrat to her.
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by laivwire(m): 5:19pm On Feb 08, 2013
i hope she feels fulfilled after putting in so much.
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by swit16(f): 5:20pm On Feb 08, 2013
Kudos to her. Its nt in Nigerian setting that some people work frm 7am-7pm. She will even break down without realising it
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by Nobody: 5:20pm On Feb 08, 2013
She is a mumu
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by kalunomics(m): 5:32pm On Feb 08, 2013
Prof Corruption: She is a mumu
definitely a nigerian!
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by Skipfr(m): 5:34pm On Feb 08, 2013
Na only 4 Yankee u go fit do such. If u try am here OYO 4 u. Wen dem go wan sack u dem nr go remember all d sacrifices.
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by tellwisdom: 5:43pm On Feb 08, 2013
Please lets pray for the sick sad sad..Get well soon ma'am sad sad
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by Grendel(m): 5:44pm On Feb 08, 2013
This one na news? angry angry angry
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by brownlord: 5:47pm On Feb 08, 2013
Skipfr: Na only 4 Yankee u go fit do such. If u try am here OYO 4 u. Wen dem go wan sack u dem nr go remember all d sacrifices.

No mind am, mk e come nja, dem go even sack self say because she too put the work for head, i love nigeria my con3 jarre
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by brownlord: 5:51pm On Feb 08, 2013
Grendel: This one na news? angry angry angry

No na poem, as e no be plane crash, or bomb blast or any news to discredit Good luck or to call am retardeen, e no go fit be news to u, idiot

2 Likes

Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by andyanders: 6:03pm On Feb 08, 2013
God's doing. May His name be praised.
Re: Postal Worker Retires After 44 Years Without Sick Day by biolabee(m): 6:04pm On Feb 08, 2013
emilyone: those are dedicated workers, not the type you find here who would purpose apply for maternity leave almost every year

If the company policy allows a pregnant woman to go to maternity leave
why are you angry

And logically it is very difficult to get mat leave within twelve calendar months except it is a clean process like
Ovulation and conception in the last month of mat leave and nine months of carrying the birth

Are you not a woman
na wa o

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear / What You Can Do If You Feel Undervalued At Work / Ogun Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Despite Amosun’s Warnings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.